[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you guys think of the legacy of kain/blood omen games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: 220px-LoK-Overview.jpg (14KB, 220x293px) Image search: [Google]
220px-LoK-Overview.jpg
14KB, 220x293px
What do you guys think of the legacy of kain/blood omen games? For some reason I never got around to playing them back in the day, and I'm wondering if they're still worth getting into?
>>
They're definitely worth it. I'd suggest starting with Soul Reaver first though, because you'll get into the storyline more easily, but it works either way.
>>
>>4056797
This, unless you take everything said in the game to heart, in which case go with BO
>>
>>4056778
>and I'm wondering if they're still worth getting into
Sure, why not?
>>
the first blood omen and soul reaver are great
>>
>>4056778
They're extremely over rated. Really meh camera. Wouldn't call it bad but not good. Random "puzzles" too. The difficulty isn't so much the puzzle but that you're moving shit 3-5x the size of your character in rooms filled with PS1 fog.

Game does have voice acting and looks alright.
>>
Both Blood Omen and Soul Reaver are worth playing even through SR is a clunky mess of bad 90s 3D platforming and box pushing ideas.

I'd suggest completing SR and then looking up the actual intended ending that was cut because Eidos wanted the game out in the "Horror Summer of 99".

Don't bother playing or looking up any information on anything that came out afterwards, it's a waste of anybody's time.
>>
>>4057623
Shut up, Soul Reaver 2 is great and why would you skip Defiance after playing the others? The only skippable game is Blood Omen 2, it's basically an alternate timeline.
>>
THE FART OF DARKNESS
>>
>>4056778
It has cool swordfights.
>>
File: BUTT.jpg (73KB, 634x473px) Image search: [Google]
BUTT.jpg
73KB, 634x473px
Hoy, you punks. I was on /v/ the other day and was having a lot of trouble getting a controller to work on the PC version and someone told me to just play the dreamcast version and it works like a charm AND it looks better. I beat Melchiah and Kain just last night, having a pretty good time. I played Blood Omen before this game and I had a lot of fun with it too. It's actually pretty cool how Kain and Raziel parallel to each other so much.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1497103994524.jpg (300KB, 1694x1762px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1497103994524.jpg
300KB, 1694x1762px
WHY HAS THIS NOT HAPPENED YET?!
>>
>>4059887
PS1 games actually take effort to "remaster".
>>
Kain was deified
>>
>>4059887
Currently waiting for the hd remake of blood omen
>>
>>4056778
Blood Omen can be a test of patience, though. it has long load times and pretty monotonous gameplay. the art direction and story are outstanding, though. so it does reward patience.
>>
>>4057489
they are overrated, by now, sure. At the time, they were revolutionary. the voice acting, alone, stood mile apart from anything else in gaming. The world and stories of those games are incredibly unique, especially considering how worn out the vampire trope is.
>>
Is this the biggest PS1 franchise that's totally dead and nonexistent today aside from Twisted Metal? I remember these games being a big deal but then they just kind of disappeared.
>>
>>4059887
no blood omen 1 no buy
>>
>>4059973
They did nothing first or better than anybody.
>>
>>4056778
The voice cast makes an otherwise mediocre game memorable.
>>
>>4059948
The clans tell tales of him. Few know the truth.
>>
>>4060084
SO did seamless loading of not one but 2 levels at once, and showed morphing transition between said levels.
>>
>>4058356
BO2 was my favorite in terms of gameplay
>>
Incredible voice acting, storyline and art direction. Aesthetically it's as good as it gets. Decent gameplay at best outside SR1 though, which has pretty good gameplay but block puzzles murder the pace.
>>
>>4060048
Basically.
A reboot was planned and then sacked around 2012. Might be a good thing, since it's a reboot and not a sequel. You know, what we actually want.
>>
>>4060204
You think that was first game to do something like that?
>>
>>4060945
>Decent gameplay at best outside SR1 though, which has pretty good gameplay but block puzzles murder the pace.

Welcome to the world of plot-driven games.
>>
>>4060198
He was mortal once
>>
>>4056778
Fantastic games. Might not have aged well. But playable. You'll be hardpressed to find better story telling, atsmophere, voice acting etc.
>>
>>4061045
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Soul Reaver 2 had a god tier storyline and god tier plot development and zero block puzzles. It's not even a story issue, it is a gameplay one, they just grind everything to a halt.
>>
File: LoK.png (631KB, 1263x3316px) Image search: [Google]
LoK.png
631KB, 1263x3316px
>>
>>4059916
they could've used the dc version
>>
>>4059948
I know you Raziel. You are worthy
>>
>>4061076
>never explained Blood omen 2
>>
>>4061070
>Soul Reaver 2
True. Not zero, but it's not bogged down with 'em.
The gag is story-driven games quickly devolve into block puzzles. ime.
I'd say it's more laziness on the dev's part than anything.
>>
>>4061076
... Now I'm even more confused than when I played the games.
I guess I'll just start with Blood Omen and play them chronologically, I beat SR1 & 2 but never got around to the others.
>>
File: LoK Kain refused the sacrifice.gif (992KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
LoK Kain refused the sacrifice.gif
992KB, 500x338px
>>
>>4060084
Man i remember the demo of first soul reaver i was playing like crazy.
Then i got the full game and it was a blast.
Maybe they didnt do anything that the pc did before, but for playstation i would say yes.
The narrative
The puzzles
The fake open world.was very well done. Because although you needed to go in a linear way, they did the "show dont tell" part, very well.

Also the combat system was very satisfiying.

The only bad part of the game were the choke point between regions that you had to past over and over again.

It had one of the best world buildings of it generation.
>>
>>4063215
yeah, loved everything about the game except the save system
the whole impale/burn/drown mechanic is a really simple way to make combat more engaging
>>
>>4063215
>>4063241
PC games like Half Life, Theif, System Shock 2, Gabriel Knight, etc did this stuff and absolutely are in a different league than than these PS1 games. There's earlier examples too but I'm sticking to around the same time. Like Prince of Persia.

As for console see Resident Evil, Dino Crisis, Burning Rangers, MGS1, and the Legends games. There's a myriad of examples.

These Soul Weaver games have some off hipster level of excellence around them. The kind that only holds up because you don't know about it.
>>
File: 52335149[1].jpg (97KB, 1274x830px) Image search: [Google]
52335149[1].jpg
97KB, 1274x830px
>>4063262
>These Soul Weaver games have some off hipster level of excellence around them. The kind that only holds up because you don't know about it.
>>
>>4063276
Just how you guys come off when you talk about the games is all.
>>
>>4063285
It's how everyone sounds when they're passionate about what they're talking about, m8.
>>
>>4063339
No, it's not. If you're going to drop shit like "At the time, they were revolutionary." it better be backed up.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.