[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>modern gamers suck, they just care about graphics This is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 1496279327700-vr.jpg (254KB, 532x770px) Image search: [Google]
1496279327700-vr.jpg
254KB, 532x770px
>modern gamers suck, they just care about graphics

This is one of those things you hear constantly, but it's completely false. It seems to be said by bitter oldfags who can't come up with proper arguments. The current generation of gamers is not nearly as obsessed with graphical advancement as in the 5th gen years. I have video game magazines from back then, it was completely shallow. Everything 16-bit was kiddy garbage and everyone was drooling over the next pretty 3D game. Today we've reached a ceiling after which graphics aren't nearly as impressive, and some of the most popular games look like shit.
Honestly, come up with better reasons for your crusade against modern gaming, it's tiresome.
>>
File: modern games.jpg (163KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
modern games.jpg
163KB, 720x960px
-QTE
-Highlighted areas and parts
-Quest arrows
-regen
Extreme amounts of hand holding for modern gamers. Early 20s and unders are cancer,
>>
Graphics was a huge selling point but it was all marketing that wasn't actually about how "good" the game looked.

Blast processing, 32MEGS, three 64bit processors were all just hype.
>>
>>4045719
/thread
>>
>>4045719
QTE are cancer, but games overall have gotten more complex. I don't think its enough to just throw people in, and expect them to be able to figure it out anymore. Even back in the day there were some games where it was frustrating to play them if you didn't have the manual for some reason. A good compromise is just being able to turn that stuff off.
>>
>>4045742
>can't throw people in and expect them to figure it out
Just because a game is complex doesn't mean it has to have a steep learning curve
>>
>>4045749
It really does. It takes longer to learn how to play EU3 or 4 than it does to beat most garbage impossible to lose modern action games.
>>
>>4045753
You're comparing apples to oranges here. There's not a single action game, retro or otherwise, that is harder to figure out than a grand strategy game. Some genres are just naturally more difficult to learn to play
>>
>>4045719
>>4045713

Well what do you know, both eras have shit that sucks.
>>
If graphics weren't important, then we wouldn't had console generations to begin with. The Super NES only came into existence after other companies came up with consoles that were outdoing the original NES in performance and likewise for the N64.
>>
why are you focusing in the graphics when the problem isn't that? Lots of genres being casualized, design choices being done because lil' jimmy can't navigate without objective markers or outside A to B corridors, interesting mechanics being ignored in place of shiny textures and shit like that are some of the main problems with modern games, but I'm sure you'll bring some barrel bottom trash like Awesome Possum or Taxi 2 to prove that "ALL OLD GAMES ARE TRASH TOO xD"
>>
>>4045713
You actually kind of hit on the one reason graphics were justifiably emphasized back then though. The gulf from the NES to SNES eras was massive enough to affect everything about games. Gens 3-5 saw massive quality of life shifts with hardware improvements alongside graphical fidelity.

We get none of it now, yet maintain the behavior of lauding graphics as important as ever.
>>
>>4045713
>I have video game magazines from back then, it was completely shallow.
>videogame mags are 100% accurate about what gamers of the era wanted
Lotta shit threads on the board today.
>>
>>4045713
lol wut kind of a geek plays videogames. kill yourself
>>
>>4045713
So what is it about modern gamers that makes them suck? It's s scientifically proven fact that they can't git gud.
>>
File: SOTD_Sea_Garden[1].jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SOTD_Sea_Garden[1].jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>4045713
I hear you and I want you to know that I do understand AAA titles are becoming less popular and there are a lot of modern gamers out there that are playing indie titles and "small" games and that combined with the streamlined way games can be released digitally with little overhead creates an opportunity for a greater variety of games to be released than ever before and God bless you guys for that.

However - Just today I felt like checking out some new games to see what was hot and fresh. Two games immediately jumped onto my radar, What Remains of Edith Finch and Rakuen. At first glance both looked right up my alley, one being a beautiful Magical Reality game and the other a retro styled RPG. Then after a minute or two more of looking I realized they're both "narrative" games with little in the way of game play and on top of that their stories are profoundly sad. I get a distinct impression that these are the kind of small-studio adventure games that enjoy the greatest success and that is an undercurrent that gives me some amount of concern but I guess I should just be happy that new games get released almost every single day and I can play what appeals to me without worrying too much about what's popular.

It seems like the best small games like pic related that come out with any regularity are games that borrow directly from /vr/ era games and when it comes right down to it, the original games are probably more reliably better, except in resolution and framerate
>>
>>4045719
- difficulty automatically scaling down on repeat attempts at a challenging part
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.