[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's be honest, this plays like shit nowadays and it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

Let's be honest, this plays like shit nowadays and it's only of historical interest.
>>
What's the matter, too hard or you?
>>
>>4045453
Wizardry isn't a hard series.

>>4045341
To be fair, I completely agree. After playing the Elminage games on the PSP I cannot go back to old Wizardry
>>
File: IMG_3806.jpg (1MB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3806.jpg
1MB, 1200x1200px
>>4045469
Kys thanx
>>
Or you need some strong nostalgia goggles to enjoy it. For me, it wouldn't be possible as I lack any emotional investment in this game.
>>
People still make wizardry clones so you're wrong. Dunno what's the point of these threads other than proving that OP is always a fag.
>>
>>4045492
Except the later wizardry clones are actually fun and don't throw unbeatable encounters at every step.
>>
>>4045341
First Wizardry has some strong level design and it is okay, if not extremely complex. It's a solid 7/10 game. If your babby eyes can't handle the lack of graphics, try the PS1 version, nobody would belittle you for it.
>>
>>4045524
How would you rate the NES and SNES ports?
>>
I admit I'm weaksauce, I much more enjoy Eye of the Beholder 1/2 and Lands of Lore than these hardcore fuckers. World of Xeen? I'll gladly read the solution and hints. I save-scum so hard.
>>
>>4045574
If you wanna play the NES version, get the AC fix. The game had a bug where it ignores armor class entirely.
>>
Historical interest is good.
Wizardry 1 had various flaws but it was outstanding for its time. Even nowadays it's still a challenging dungeon crawler.
The lack of graphics has its advantages: it plays very fast and the dungeons are easier to map.
>>
>>4045341
They play exactly the same as they did before. There must be another factor involved that is shit nowadays.
>>
>>4045480
Sounds like a garbage game senpai
>>
Okay, could use some help.

Big fan of jrpgs and want to get into wizardry. I love dragon quest and mother (inspired by DQ) so I thought wizardry would be a good starting point. My question is where do I start? Stuff about IV has kind of scarred me off the earlier ones but I'll try any honestly. I only have a toaster but I'm sure a literal potato could run these and think it should be fine for later games.
>>
>>4046469
WIzardry V on the SNES is a good starting point, it's less clunky than the early ones while still maintaining the same gameplay and scenario style of 1-3 (unlike 6 and onward which radically changed the tone and progression mechanics) and it comes packaged with that high level of polish capcom was known for during the SNES era.

Thought admittedly the port is dumbed down compared to the original release, it obviously had to be streamlined to something that worked better with console controls. One big difference is that there's no player input in NPC conversations, and they basically play as expository cutscenes.

But that might be ideal if you're looking for an easy place to jump into the series before trying the more involved, convoluted entries.
>>
File: wizardry6sfc.jpg (22KB, 221x400px) Image search: [Google]
wizardry6sfc.jpg
22KB, 221x400px
>>4046505
Not him but is SNES Bane of the Cosmic Forge good too?
>>
>>4046505
Thanks. I knew about them having console prts but assumed that, like you said, they were dumbed down a bit. Still I'll emulate it if you feel it's good for a beginner, thank you.
>>
Wizardry just sounds cruel. Having dark areas, pitfalls, and warps that take you somewhere you'll never recognize is one thing, but all three together at the same time? It sounds like it's just hard for the sake of it.
>>
>>4045574
Not him but the SNES Wizardry 1-3 and 5 are the way to go.
>>
>>4046505
At least play the SFC version instead of the censored American SNES release. It has an English option like most Japanese versions of 1-5.
PS1 is also an option.
FM Towns offers classic computer controls with pretty monster graphics and CD sound.

>>4046518
It's effectively better than the computer versions since those fucked up the controls. The sound and graphics are also less monotonous.
>>
>>4046542
I think Japan liked Wizardry too much to give it the same treatment as Ultima, Bard's Tale or Might and Magic.
>>
>>4046570
Don't forget the one way doors and rotators.
Dumapic is more than just your friend.
And of course if you died in the dungeon you remained in the dungeon instead of reverting to an older save.
>>
>>4046608
Sorry but a bit confused, the sfc version simply has an English option I can select?
>>4046635
What do you mean by that exactly? As I said I am mostly a fan of jrpgs interested in crpg, are most Japanese crpgs ports to consoles bad or something?
>>
>>4046570
At the beginning just flip all switches from 日本語 to 英語.
>are most Japanese crpgs ports to consoles bad or something?
Yes. Japanese computer ports tend to be fine though.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.