[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yo /vr/ I plan to buy a PSX in the near future but I'm having

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: PlayStation-Model-Backs.jpg (3MB, 3300x2540px) Image search: [Google]
PlayStation-Model-Backs.jpg
3MB, 3300x2540px
Yo /vr/
I plan to buy a PSX in the near future but I'm having a few concerns regarding which revision should one buy for the best experience.
On youtube I have seen multiple videos about people hacking a setup together to get RGB signal out of a PSX, but I noticed most of these videos were american people doing that. Does that affect someone living in Europe planning to buy a xxx2 (PAL) console for a CRT with SCART?
I also hear varying opinions about sound quality in different revisions, with 1k being marked as the audiophile version, despite some people claiming that there is basically no difference between the 7k/9k and earlier versions.
Build quality is also a concern of mine, some say that 5.5k is the best.

I also want to install a PSIO on this thing, because one has to realise that these are 20+ years old optical drives and they are failing left and right. If I get one with a working optical drive I'd also like to install an MM3 on it along with PSIO, just for the sake of having a fully loaded console and an MM3 is also dirt cheap. Are these two even compatible with each other?
>>
>>4043674
You seem to know what you're doing.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7fCTHu99bk
>>
>>4043674
>I also hear varying opinions about sound quality in different revisions, with 1k being marked as the audiophile version, despite some people claiming that there is basically no difference between the 7k/9k and earlier versions.

That's a stupid meme. They all sound the same. The first revision became popular with audiophiles because it was a good CD player, looked fairly nice, had convenient ports on the back, and used to cost about $5. You couldn't get a better CD player at that price. The idea that it's better than modern CD players or that the later revisions sound worse is absolute garbage.
You know how audiophiles are. If you told them they could get a 'richer soundstage' by cutting off their dicks they'd all become eunuchs overnight.

>Build quality is also a concern of mine, some say that 5.5k is the best [...] one has to realise that these are 20+ years old optical drives and they are failing left and right.
The first model actually has the worst failure rate. The laser isn't the part of the drive that fails in these things, it's the plastic rails. They get too hot and sag, making it impossible for the laser to focus. This becomes less of an issue in newer revisions.
>>
Buy a PS2 if you wanna play discs.
If you wanna use the PSIO, their site tells you which models are supported.
>>
>>4043674
The "Perfect Storm" variants are 5502 and 5552. They have:

>Higher quality AKI DAC shared with the so-called "audiophile" 1002 (which actually has pretty poor stock output on the phono jacks due to low quality op-amps and DC coupling caps. It can be modded to sound decent though, or you can just use a breakout from the Multi-AV which doesn't have this limitation)
>Better quality single-chip VDP with 8 bit per channel texturing vs 5 bit per channel on the two-chip 1002. The latter causes banding artefacts on otherwise smooth colour transitions.
>Metal sled on the laser assembly for much improved reliability over the notoriously flaky 1002.
>The whole CD transport assembly is moved further away from the PSU which has lower heat output vs the 1002. This further helps reliability in combination with the metal laser assembly.
>Obviously the parallel port is present for UniROM/Caetla compatibility.

The only (minor) downsides so far as I can see are:

>BIOS does not allow for swap trick using the CD player.
>No Soundscope visualiser in the CD player.

HTH
>>
>>4043707
that guy's face creeps me the fuck out
>>
File: 1471571176580.png (1MB, 1425x1527px) Image search: [Google]
1471571176580.png
1MB, 1425x1527px
>>4043727
>mfw my original 5502 broke a few months ago

At least it was PAL
>>
>>4043731
What broke? Just the laser?
>>
>>4043734
The motor seems to have gone, at first music would stop looping or just hang at the end. It would fix if I turned it upside down then it just gave up the ghost and the lens doesn't move any more. tried greasing etc and no luck.
>>
>>4043674
failing left and right is an overstatement, if you're really scared of that than you should get either a PSOne or PS2

>>4043727
>(which actually has pretty poor stock output on the phono jacks due to low quality op-amps and DC coupling caps. It can be modded to sound decent though, or you can just use a breakout from the Multi-AV which doesn't have this limitation)
weird I haven't heard any difference from that

>>4043714
The fact that the 1001 has RCA audio ports at the back makes the sound a bit better when you would use a scart cable (so you don't have to use the sound of that)
>>
>OP wants to buy PSX
>PS1 on the attached picture
Is there something im missing out or its just a meme?
>>
>>4043674
> I also want to install a PSIO on this thing, because one has to realise that these are 20+ years old optical drives and they are failing left and right. If I get one with a working optical drive I'd also like to install an MM3 on it along with PSIO, just for the sake of having a fully loaded console and an MM3 is also dirt cheap. Are these two even compatible with each other?

I have a PSIO and mod chipped PSX. My advice: don't do both. You will never load a game from disc after experiencing the speed of PSIO, and PSIO will load any image you load anyway.

They do work together though.
>>
>>4043727
>Metal sled on the laser assembly for much improved reliability over the notoriously flaky 1002.
Can you replace it with PSOne assembly, or I remember it wrong?
>>
>>4043751
reeeeee if you don't call it by its old codename it means you are underage!
>>
>>4043746
>I haven't heard any difference from that
Maybe not but waveform analysis doesn't lie. If it sounds good enough to you then that's an end of it.

You should really use an SCPH-1160 to break out the audio from the Multi-AV in any case. The 100x is pretty much trash for the multitude of reasons I listed above.
>>
>>4043727
What's so special about 5552 that there is no other region variant of it? The wikipedia page doesn't say anything about it. Good thing is the google search page threw a few ads in my face with the cheapest one being the equvalent of 15 bucks.

>>4043746
I had the pleasure to own a PSOne myself and visited cousin enough to have my fix of a PS2, I have a phat PS3 for PS2 stuff. I just want the genuine PSX experience.

>>4043752
Good to know, I'll kep it in mind.
>>
>>4043753
You can but that only fixes the warping issue. You will still overheat the diode over time due to proximity to the (toasty) PSU.
>>
>>4043757
Not really, the laser drive of the 100x models can easliy be swaped with any other fixing the problem that plague so many

also the latter models used SRAM instead of VRAM which some games donĀ“t work great with (worse actually).
>>
>>4043762
>What's so special about 5552 that there is no other region variant of it?
That's a good question and one I've been searching for a definitive answer to myself. It certainly shares the PU-18 mainboard and all major components with the 5502 so I tend to treat them both the same. There may be very minor differences but they both remain epic machines.
>>
>>4043674
PSX does RGB natively
>>
>>4043770
Any developer worth its salt would have been playtesting and debugging with both blue and green DTLs.

Which games are affected if you don't mind my asking?
>>
>>4043782
Forgot where I read it, but mostly were a few games released (one might be Overblood) before Sony went over to SGRAM. If games were played on those, graphics would look off.
>>
>>4043779
but only with sync on luma
>>
>>4043864
I believe you can get csync from one of GPU pins and rewire it to multiout, if using LM1881 on luma isn't an option.
Maybe some people here know more.
>>
Get the "audiophile" PS1 just for the novelty of it being first model and having the RCA port, plus telling the (surely mostly bullshit) audiophile story to people.
>>
>>4043864
What does this matter? You can take sync from anything, composite even, you don't even need luma, luma is just the easiest that gives the best picture. The fact is that it SUPPORTS RGB by DEFAULT. It has RGB output on it's A/V out and it even shipped sometimes with a RGB SCART cable.
>>
>>4043885
>if using LM1881 on luma isn't an option.
You don't need to filter out the sync signal for it to work, literary plugging composite or luma into sync will work, the difference in quality with filtering in debatable if even noticeable
>>
>>4043674
>PSX

stop that you faggot
>>
>>4044127
9/10 times it works fine. Some things get confused with the extra signal. But there's no reason he shouldn't give it a go before rushing out and blowing $10 for a $0.50 part on ebay.
>>
>>4044304
If you use SCART then it will work 10/10 times, because the TV expects a _dirty_ sync signal.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.