[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the Super Star Wars trilogy on SNES good? Is Empire the best

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

Is the Super Star Wars trilogy on SNES good?

Is Empire the best game, just like it's the best movie?
>>
>>4042346
>Is the Super Star Wars trilogy on SNES good?

Yes

>Is Empire the best game, just like it's the best movie?
No, Star Wars is the best one, just like its the best movie.
>>
>>4042361

That sandcrawler level fucking sucks though.
>>
File: super_star_wars_snes_15.png (9KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
super_star_wars_snes_15.png
9KB, 512x448px
>>4042376

>slowly platform up, with many moments where patience is required or you'll fail the jump

>every jump is a precision jump on moving platforms

>fail the jump

>instead of just dying and restarting from checkpoint, you're now playing 99% of the level all over again except with less time to finish

>if your timer is low enough, you're better off committing suicide than trying to finish the whole level

>enemies and (the MANY) destroyable hazards respawn

>no save points, if you die you game over you have to play the entire game again

Yeah, fuck the Sand Crawler stage and fuck Super Star Wars. At least Super Empire has save points.
>>
>>4042376
>>4042425
Don't use the super jump horizontally.
>>
>>4042441

Finally got past the external sand crawler levels, but now that I'm inside of the sand crawler there are green laser gates that seem to exist only to annoy the ever living shit out of me. I'm able to "trick" them out so I can get past, but I take damage in the process and it takes some time. Really annoying.
>>
>>4042468
Even if you just slide into them repeatedly with no strategy, you'll get through with no problems.

There's literally only two bullshit parts of SSW: The fliers knocking you off blind jumps in the sandpeople levels and the cantina boss, who is pure bullshit.
>>
>>4042468

>get past several green laser gates by health-costly trick-outs

>next platform takes me into spikes

>survive spikes to come into giant, progress-impeding sentry gun that doesn't seem to indicate I'm damaging it no matter how much I shoot it

I sure hope the sequels are better. Calling bullshit on the first being good without nostalgia goggles, but I'll continue pressing onward because I like the spritework.
>>
Kind of wish the prequel trilogy had its own series of Super Star Wars style platforming games. Episode I had cool ideas but ultimately boring gameplay. Episode III was a lame hack n slasher button masher. And Episode II to my knowledge does not exist. Probably because it has like two fight scenes in the whole movie, but whatever, if LucasArts gave a shit at the time, it could have worked.
>>
Jedi is both the best game and movie.
>>
>finally get to end of "inside sand crawler"

>boss is almost dead

>off-camera lava wave knocks me into lava pool

>even though my health is at least 75%, I immediately die upon contact with lava

fuck man. Really tempted to just emulate the game and use save states, goddamn. I hope the sequels are more forgiving, but I'm guessing not.
>>
>>4042509
Empire is total bullshit from beginning to end. Jedi is the one game that approaches being fair.
>>
>>4042515

I kinda figured Jedi might end up being the best just because it's at least the third product those dev's created in the same genre with the same engine, and hopefully they'd have learned some things from gripes with the first two.

Really want to play them in order but I just game over'ed in the first Super Star Wars. I could probably get back to where I was before I game over'ed, but I think I might use save states this time.
>>
>>4042346
it is by far the hardest
>>
File: nes91eb5.png (5KB, 768x606px) Image search: [Google]
nes91eb5.png
5KB, 768x606px
Slightly off-topic, how is empire on NES? It looks more playable than the mess that is the first game, but that may not count for much.

The graphics look nice for the era and gameplay seems varied.
>>
>>4042361
>No, Star Wars is the best one, just like its the best movie.

This. But they're all pretty good. Sand Crawler just takes practice.
>>
>>4042471
>>4042509

You're still in the easy part of the game by the way. The series might just not be for you. Empire is usually considered harder. I got my copy in a trade for some magic cards because the guy was stuck on Dagobah for months.

I love all three of these games, but they don't appeal to everyone.
>>
>>4042809
Vader's a big guy
>>
>>4042829
...for you.
>>
>>4042809
Best NES SW was that Japanese Alex Kidd clone.
>>
>>4042521
Star Wars runs at full speed often, Jedi has incredible slowdown at all times. The only time Jedi runs at full speed is when there are no enemies on screen and you aren't moving.

Jedi is still pretty fun, but it suffers from the same thing as the movie, in that the only interesting part is the first half with Jabba.
>>
>>4042346
>best game in trilogy
>best movie in trilogy

didnt even know at the time how lucky I was to have gotten this one as a gift
>>
>>4042809
the first star wars game is good, much better than that one. You have to play the levels in the right order on the first game or you're gonna be screwed. It's not that hard I beat it on gameboy
>>
>>4042809
Star Wars on the NES is a genuinely good platformer.

Empire on the NES is such a clusterfuck that it feels like they never actually finished it. Literally the music is just ten second loops that finish and then you have thirty seconds of bare silence until they start again. I'm not exaggerating.
>>
Super Return of the Jedi is the best game.
>Use character select code
>Wicket had 250% damage output compared to everyone else
>Use him to comically steamroll through the entire games
>He'll wreck the Emperor in about 8 seconds.
Good times.
>>
>>4043475
so they're comically OP just like in the movie?

damn, that makes sense, it's got be an in-joke or something
>>
I only rented Super ESB once and never played the others, from what I remember it was gorgeous visually and for a western platformer game, it has good controls, but it was really hard.
>>
>>4042346
No they're quite bad. They're barely above amiga platformer quality (really shit controls, gameplay and level design and that ratrded euro patformer difficulty curve).
Probably because they were made by a euro studio that always put out garbage.
>>
>>4044745
Define euro platformer.
>>
>>4042809
>Luke has a red sabre
>Vader has the blue sabre
Really makes you ponder the true nature of the Force.
>>
File: 1424926069080.jpg (101KB, 716x960px) Image search: [Google]
1424926069080.jpg
101KB, 716x960px
>>4042346
>In general
The games are all good, and they're all very hard. The gameplay boils down to this: You're going to eat a lot of damage, but every enemy you kill drops little life hearts to pick up and various other power ups. Basically if you're playing to not take any damage, you're playing it wrong (except against most bosses). Only a few enemy spawns are set, and the rest are completely random. Every play through will feel a little different because of how random the game is.

>Super Star Wars
This is the best one. The difficulty actually curves well and there's only a few bullshit parts already mentioned in this thread, like the cantina boss (you seriously have to get lucky here, hoping you get a lot of health powerups before the fight). The game is certainly beatable on the hardest difficulty, as long as you get lucky for the cantina boss. The light-saber in this game is the worst by far, but I think it looks the coolest of the three games. Chewy is way too good, always pick him, and Han is just slightly better than Luke.

>Super Empire
Ridiculously hard on the hardest difficulty setting. Every level is a fucking nightmare, especially the level where you're flying a snow speeder like a side scroller (unhittable enemies while your hitbox is half the fucking screen). You don't choose your character in this game per level, it's automatically assigned. Chewy is the best again, because of his invulnerability spin.

Luke gets force power ups and the lightsaber is actually useful at times through double jumping, blocking, and overhead swings.

>Return of the Jedi
I think this is the worst of the games, but it gets a lot of things right: First, Luke starts with his jedi powers. Second, you can switch characters for nearly every level. Third, every character feels really different, which makes them all fun and boosts the replayability factor.

Leia is too powerful when she has the staff, choose her if you're having trouble.

Game is not as hard as Empire.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.