[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm completely entry level with retro games but I just finished

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: Mother.png (109KB, 640x439px) Image search: [Google]
Mother.png
109KB, 640x439px
I'm completely entry level with retro games but I just finished Mother and absolutely loved it. Are other retro RPGs like this? Should I try Dragon's Quest or Final Fantasy from here?
>>
Dragon Quest is closer to MOTHER, but it's a lot shorter if you know what you're doing.

In any case I say you just move on to EarthBound.
>>
Congrats on having good taste OP, you should play the sequels now.
>>
>>4041603
Also Dragon quest 2 would probably be the closest since its also kind of open and directionless "go find the crests" instead of "go find the melodies"
>>
>>4041603
I like to mix things up and change genre, maybe try something like castlevania next, then do another jrpg.
>>
I never finished Mother 3. I remember quitting just after the father character goes crazy (due to grief) and starts swinging a weapon around and gets knocked out because of it. Didn't engage me nearly as much as Earthbound. Does it get better from there?
>>
>>4041869
Yes the 3 first chapters are trash that should not exist.
>>
>>4041880
Actually is mostly chapter 3 that I hate, 2 is good.
>>
>>4041869
That's just the intro. Mother 3 didn't grab my attention at any point though, I think I got about 80% or more through just by force of will...

>>4041670
... but this guy is right, obviously OP should play the sequels at some point if he liked the original.

>>4041603
I don't think Final Fantasy is very similar to Mother, besides being JRPGs - have you played any FF games before, OP? I don't tend to like them very much, and while I am in the middle of trying to finish FF1 (again), it is tolerable in bursts despite its flaws.

Are you trying to play games only on the (S)NES, or chronologically? Only JRPGs? For being new to the entire category of retro games, you happen to mention three relatively similar options,
>>
>>4041603
100% play EarthBound next. You'll love it.

MOTHER3 imo was the best game in the series. The OST alone is so massive and beautifully detailed. Seriously it is one of the best trilogy's in gaming history.
>>
>>4041968
>>4041963
M3 is very divisive because of it being so different than the other two
Worth checking to see for yourself how you like it
>>
>>4041972
I'll have to look into MOTHER/EB then, never heard of it being significantly different than the earlier two. I should still go back and finish Mother 3 at some point, even though I remember very little about the characters by now.
>>
>>4041990
Its extremely linear and puts emphasis on storytelling, via cutscenes, a lot of them and with different characters to get more points of view.
I really dont enjoy that type of storytelling and prefer the prequels style which is also very close to DQ style of letting the world tell the story instead.
>>
>>4041990
Mother 3 is way more serious in tone (although it's kind of underminded by using the same basic art style that Earthbound used; on top of that, it looks worse because it's a GBA game. EB is WAY more charming, though, and is a really interesting satirical look at min 90's America through the lens of a child.
>>
>>4041603
As many have said dragon quest would be good as it was the original inspiration for the series. Really though it depends what you qualities you liked about M1, mind explaining exactly?
>>4042001
>although it's kind of underminded by using the same basic art style that Earthbound used; on top of that, it looks worse because it's a GBA game.
There's opinions and then there's just flat out lying. Mother 3 is fucking beautiful, it has amazing quality pixel art. I don't get how the art would undermine the tone, do you seriously believe a more innocent style can't tell a tell a serious story? I can get finding EB more charming, it has a great innocence to it, but I think your undermining how great M3 looks.
>>
Is GBA allowed on /vr/
>>
>>4042025
>Mother 3 is fucking beautiful, it has amazing quality pixel art.
They tried their hardest, but the GBA hardware held them back. Granted, it's not ugly or anything (like Mother 1 is), but Earthbound looks better.
>>
File: M3.gif (1MB, 500x503px) Image search: [Google]
M3.gif
1MB, 500x503px
>>4042032
No, but I think you know that and just being a smartass.
>>4042051
If you seriously think EB looks better then I think you have a biased.

I'll end it here, last thing we need is a "gba on /vr/" war, we have enough of them.
>>
Play Wizardry 4.
>>
>>4042061
No I really didnt know, or that there was a war about it.
>>
>>4042087
Which version? I'm hearing PS1 is the best but its not fully translated?
>>
File: starry night.gif (21KB, 540x650px) Image search: [Google]
starry night.gif
21KB, 540x650px
>>4042143
Well sorry then. No, gba is not allowed here as the cutoff for game consoles released in 1999 or earlier. The only games pass 1999 that can be discussed are games released in 1999 or later on retro consoles. For example, is a ps1 game came out in 2000 it is allowed by virtue of being a ps1 game.

Sorry to come off as a bit hostile. Many people try to start flame wars by posting gba discussion.
>>4042153
That is probably the best version, I believe it is still the newest remake of it. Though I think that guy is messing with you, or at least was joking. Wizardry IV is notorious for being maybe the most brutal rpg and one of the most difficult games ever made.

To put into perspective how difficult the game is the very first room, the VERY first room, has a riddle so confusing that later versions of the game came with a sealed envelope that gave hints on the puzzle. The game is brutal, you only have control over your main character and the actions of your "party members" are made by the cpu, your character is a mage and has pitiful hp and defenses, enemies can kill you instantaneously as well as revive themselves continuously, you are being hunted in real time in the game, certain puzzles require obscure information from the first three games, and the game has traps that can end save files, as in if you are caught in them you will be unable to advance have to start over. Good fucking luck.
>>
>>4042178
thanks anon, I'm too autistic to get good so I would've probably just ended up getting frustrated
>>
>>4042187
It's not even about getting good, wizardry IV requires absolutely insane tolerance and dedication. The game is completely unfair in every way possible. Not playing wizardry IV isn't a sign you're bad at games, but that you wish to keep your humanity.
>>
>>4042203
I can't even handle Link to the Past without getting frustrated, I'm that level of goatshit at games. I can't imagine what Wiz 4 would do to me.
>>
>>4042208
If you want to get into dungeon crawlers there are better games for beginners. A lot of these older pc dungeon crawlers were made with experts in mind. Add the fact mist feature outdated mechanics and you have some brutal games. For something a bit easier the phantasy star series on the sega master system and genesis are quite good. Also good for beginners is the mystery dungeon series. Not retro but pokemon mystert dungeon: explorers of the sky is a great beginner dungeon crawling. Assuming you understand the type chart of pokemon you should be fine, it also has good art, a very charming plot, a nice calming ost, and a good postgame. Hope this helps.
>>
>>4041603
citizens of earth
>>
>>4042242
That game is trash.
>>
>>4042226
Thanks, anon.
>>
File: Uncontrollable Sphere Big Grin.png (167KB, 985x927px) Image search: [Google]
Uncontrollable Sphere Big Grin.png
167KB, 985x927px
What 1/128 item took you the longest to get /vr/? Mine's a close tie between Sword of kings and what pic related can potentially have.
>>
>>4041603
DQ3 is the most similar on the NES while also being enjoyable. ff1 and 3 are also good.

if you go to SNES there are like at least 15 amazing jrpgs to play. probably more.
>>
File: 1494909239805.png (446KB, 500x682px) Image search: [Google]
1494909239805.png
446KB, 500x682px
>>4044429
Nothing is more difficult to get then the Gutsy Bat.

Typically on a normal playthrough I only go for the sword of kings and it really ranges. One time I got it on my thirteenth starman super, another time it took two hours. I swear I also have like some kind of weird curse. On three of my playthroughes I got it exactly when ness got to level 76.
>>
>>4041603
Play earthbound and mother 3. Dragon Quest is 99% grinding.
>>
>>4044729
dq1 and 2 are the only ones you need to grind in
>>
>>4044429
By far, the most tedious to get is the Magic Frypan. Moving on the underworld map is very slow with these tiny sprites, and every 2 or 3 minutes the earth shakes and you can't move for a few seconds, and fighting the chomposaur will always deal you damage even if you're level 99 so you need to heal often, and then the main problem is finding the chomposaurs, they're not a rare enemy but they don't appear as often as the other dinosaur. Overall that's the one that took me the most time.
The Gutsy bat also took me a lot of time to get, but at least the process isn't as tedious as in the underworld.
The pendants I got all in relatively short time, and SoK I got it twice, the first time is because I was actively looking for it, must have spent various days playing a few hours each, don't know how many hours it took, not as much as the magic frypan or gutsy bat, but still a lot. Then I played the game again on the SFC, and I got it without even trying.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.