[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

playing on a 32inch hdtv, would a s-video cable on wii provide

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

File: PA.76336.002.jpg (18KB, 427x427px) Image search: [Google]
PA.76336.002.jpg
18KB, 427x427px
playing on a 32inch hdtv, would a s-video cable on wii provide a significant boost over composite? I recently got into playing VC on the original wii and was looking into better picture quality. Sorry if this sounds fuckin dumb but im pretty new to it. I'm wondering if the improvement would be as significant considering that its on a hdtv as opposed to a crt
>>
>>4041546
It would, but since you have a HDTV why wouldn't you use Component?
>>
>>4041549
yeah, i guess since wii s-video cables are apparantly rare, and in this case i found one cheap ($15) as opposed to a component cable ($30). im just being a cheapskate, i'll probably go for component
>>
>>4041549
Because most modern HDTVs made nowadays don't support 240p over component (which is what the Wii typically puts out when playing VC titles).
>>
>>4041558
is there any way to check? the 32" i have is from like 2007. the thing doesnt even do 1080p, it does 1080i max, i just use 720p

its a sharp lc-32d43u
>>
>>4041546
Use RGB with a Trinitron, or at least a Framemesiter or OSSC if you use a HDTV, anything less than that will trigger heroical autistic bitching from /vr/.
>>
>>4041574
Check the manual? According the manual for my old Panasonic HDTV it only supports 480p/480i to 1080p/1080i, though it only has a 720p display.
>>
>>4041581
just checked and no mention of 240p. so in this case what cable would be a better option for me? svideo or component?
>>
>>4041638
If American: S-video
if not: Scart

but I was sure the Wii CAN do 240p over component
>>
>>4041648
>but I was sure the Wii CAN do 240p over component
It does.

OP, here's a guide for image quality, from worst to best signals for the GameCube and Wii:

RF > Composite > S-Video > RGB > Component > HDMI
>>
>>4041687
yeah i knew this much, thanks. I just hope VC games can look clean with svideo (until i get official component cables) on my tv.
>>
>>4041558
It won't put out 240p when in 480p mode. This isn't an issue.
>>
>>4041687
RF < Composite < S-Video < RGB < Component < HDMI

I know what you meant, but I'm feeling triggered by the way you formatted it.

Also, to avoid confusion, I'd like to note that HDMI isn't natively possible on Wii, and those HDMI adapters just convert the analog component signal to HDMI so it's not any better. GameCube actually has digital video out, so in that case HDMI would indeed be better (by a probably imperceptible amount).
>>
>>4041729
If i have the wii on 480i, how will i know when the VC games are displayed at 240p? I used to button combo, heard the chime, but dont actually know if its being displayed at 240p.
>>
>>4041781
If they were interlaced, you'd know it. It makes retro games look like total shit.
>>
>>4041648

Yep, does 240p over component.
>>
>>4041546
get a Wii2HDMI adapter for $4 from AliExpress, component cables are noisy on some HDTVs. The Wii2HDMI adapter makes it 480p digital, so they even have less lag, miraculously. I’ve been impressed with mine.
>>
>>4041558
>most
This is only true because most people buy the cheapest shit they can find in walmart. It works fine on all of my LCDs except one I got free from my ISP.

>>4041574
You test it. Sharp manuals are shit and don't provide a comprehensive list of supported modes, frequencies, etc. I'd say odds are 50/50 that any given model sharp will even detect the signal and 10% that it will display it well enough to be playable.
>>
>>4041831
Well i tested it. I used the button combo on a VC game (metal slug xx) to switch button 480i to 240p. I did notice a very slight difference, but really i dont know if its better or worse. Im an idiot when it comes to this. Also i think the fact that im using composite cables is making it hard to tell.
>>
>>4041892
Well if you want to know whether it works with component testing in composite isn't going to help.
>>
>>4041892
you're wasting your time. composite on an hdtv is the worst way to play wii. skip right over s-video and just get component cables. They are not $30, you can get generic wii ypbpr cables for $6 and they work fine. you'll immediately be amazed at the difference in clarity and vividness. once your eyes are done crying tears of joy, go into the settings and set the wii to 480p. Now you're outputting a proper hd resolution to your hdtv, and will be amazed in jaw dropping resplendence at the best smoothest picture the wii can display.

what's that, you want to play retro on your wii in 240p? throw that hdtv out the window and find a high end sd crt like a sony wega with component inputs. the wii can output 240p over component just fine, but hdtvs will display it as 480i every time, robbing you of the crystal clarity and stable beauty of proper 240p with scanlines that you can only get on an sd crt.
>>
File: wii2hdmi___w.jpg (23KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
wii2hdmi___w.jpg
23KB, 500x375px
Not OP, but what about pic related?
>>
>>4041546
S-video would significantly reduce dot crawl over composite. No resolution bumps, of course, but it's proof that composite is SHIT that should have never been a standard when it was.
>>
>>4043025
Surprisingly good considering they're only a few bucks. But there are apparently different versions as some people have ones with massive lag and others with close to none.
>>
>>4043025
One downside is that they're not very sturdy. I have my wii up high and the HDMI cable's weight bends it down. I had to put something underneath it to prevent damaging my wii's a/v port.

But otherwise it's great.
>>
>>4043193
Yeah, this is fucking annoying. Also that it sticks out the back so far. I wish they'd put a cable between the box and the connector. Something like two inches would be more than enough. Fucking retarded design.
>>
>>4043025
I posted about mine earlier, I was suprised at how kickass it was for literally $4. Worth a shot for the price, if you like component more, switch back.
>>
>>4041546
Barely. You're better off emulating. Don't fall for the Framemeimster meme.
>>
>>4044735
>emulation
Fuck you.
>>
>>4041546
I picked up a monoprice s-video cable on amazon last year for cheap money. It is well built. You can use wiimc to play 4x3 videos which works fine for SD bitrate videos over wifi from a smb share.
>>
>>4044735
>framemeimster
Can someone explain why pixel doubling from 240p to 1080p costs a billion dollary doos?
>>
>>4046452
It doesn't. But doing it with high quality in real time with minimal input lag requires using halfway decent components.

Really, if you think a Framemeister is expensive, try looking up the prices of upscalers that came before it. The Framemeister got popular precisely because of how cheap it is.
>>
>>4042909
i've seen those generic wii component cables on amazon but i've been hesitant on getting them. Though right now i'm seeing monoprice component cables for $6, i might just check them out.

though you're right about getting a crt. I see alot of both sony trinitrons and wegas on my local craiglist, both of them are the big grey ones that have dots on the sides of the display. Are those fine?
>>
>>4046485
>$300
And other upscalers cost more?
why do they all cost so much?
I don't understand
>>
>>4046497
Upscaling analog video signals is a surprisingly complicated job to do well, and requires very specialized hardware. Before the Framemeister, you'd expect to pay upwards of $1000 for a good upscaler. Fortunately, these days, powerful FPGAs are getting much more affordable, paving the way for cheaper upscalers that still do a great job. Expect more projects like the OSSC, UltraHDMI, Hi-Def NES, etc. to crop up in the near future.
>>
>>4046519
Anything analog is complicated for younglings. Most never learn anything beyond the basics.
>>
>>4041556
component is better anyways
>>
File: 2204540-vader1.jpg (135KB, 992x951px) Image search: [Google]
2204540-vader1.jpg
135KB, 992x951px
>>4048181
IN MY OPINION THE YOUNGLINGS ARE EVIL
>>
>>4041648
here it recommends component for ntsc-u, is he wrong? http://retrorgb.com/wii.html
>>
>>4049278
No, component is the best for Wii, and yes, it CAN do 240p over component just fine. It just depends on whether your TV will accept it.
>>
>>4049281
I have a pal wii and it came with a rca cable and a rca2scart adapter (i don't think official wii scart cables even exist)
Does using the adapter make a difference, or rca is enough?
>>
>>4049294
>i don't think official wii scart cables even exist
They do. Or just get a decent third-party one, whichever. They're not expensive. I don't understand why anyone would settle for composite if their display supports RGB/component.
>>
>>4049305
>They do
Oh, you're right. They are out of stock on amazon, I doubt they will ever replenish
>Or just get a decent third-party one, whichever.
>I don't understand why anyone would settle for composite if their display supports RGB/component.
Never used a generic brandless scart? You spend like 10 minutes fiddling behind the tv just to make the image appear on screen, and probably audio won't even work.
>>
>>4049320
That's why I specifically said a "decent" third-party one, i.e. avoid no-name Chinese junk.

Or if your TV supports component, just go with that. The quality is essentially identical and it works for both 240p/480i and 480p.
>>
>>4049278
Component is better for the Wii.
SCART will only work if your Wii is a PAL model.
>>
>>4049160
>ignorance = evil
I don't think you're evil
>>
File: IMG_0370.jpg (34KB, 825x464px)
IMG_0370.jpg
34KB, 825x464px
>>4049346
THAN YOU ARE TRULY LOST
>>
>>4041793
>>
>>4049461
Obi Won the console wars.
>>
op here, my svideo cable arrived and man, even on my hdtv it is a very noticable improvement over the composite cables. I'm sure it looks even better on a crt. I see various sony crts but none of them come with remote...guess ill keep looking
>>
>>4054117

hi buy the component cables they look even better then svideo
>>
>>4054284
/thread
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.