[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did gamepads overtake joysticks? Were they inherently more

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1307.png (170KB, 777x518px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1307.png
170KB, 777x518px
Why did gamepads overtake joysticks? Were they inherently more ergonomic for 2D games?
>>
>>4041530
I'm just spit balling here but probably with the need for more buttons it started to become unfeasible to use a hand to support the bottom of the joystick in your hands. You have to have it placed on a table for fightsticks and that's not ideal for most games when you're chilling on the couch.
>>
>>4041530
Fewer parts
>>
>>4041565
Good point. Compared to earlier consoles' joysticks third-gen gamepads were cheaper AND more reliable.
>>
They evolved into analog sticks.
>>
>>4041591
OP's pic is an analog stick. Take a SNES pad and slap a couple smaller, stiffer less precise versions of those on it. You've got the final form.
>>
LGR did a pretty dank video on this topic how Nintendo basically BTFO of other controllers when they patented the famicom d-pad and then everybody tried to come up with a knock off version of it
>>
>>4041530
I want to know how that layout became the generic computer joystick in the US.
Even at 4 years old, I thought the placement of the black button sucked.
>>
>>4041978
Maybe actual aircraft controls?
>>
>>4041530
Smaller, cheaper, games didn't need analog.
>>
>>4041530
Cheaper, smaller.
Arguably more ergonomic, but I think most were just copying the Famicom.
>>
>>4041881
>LGR
Don't you mean the Gaming Historian? I don't recall LGR going on about the NES controller and it's D-pad.
>>
I used to play "BC Quest for Tires" with that joystick.
>>
>>4042060
>games didn't need analog.
neither where those joysticks you faggot
>>
File: kraft_joystick_large[1].jpg (358KB, 700x1041px) Image search: [Google]
kraft_joystick_large[1].jpg
358KB, 700x1041px
>>4045219
>where
is this bait?
>>
>>4041881
>>4042837
Gaming Historian.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnmMDzgTB7o

On that note, I happen to own the Donkey Kong G&W, and it's actually one of the most comfortable D-pads I've ever used. Possibly the most, even. It feels so smooth and soft and it really glides.
>>
>>4045227
Not him, but only Apple II joysticks where analog at the time, the rest was digital, until PCs got MIDI ports and joysticks.
>>
File: 1375803055525.png (16KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
1375803055525.png
16KB, 320x200px
>>4045505
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_port#History
>>
>>4045219
>not sure if summerfag or just regular underage
They were

>>4045505
>at the time
How would you know, you weren't even born then. I had an analog joystick for my PC in the early 80's
>>
>>4045560
>>4045848
Your point? This exactly proves that analog joysticks where uncommon as fuck, at least up to the late 80's.
>>
>>4045852
Are you European, perhaps?
>>
>>4045852
How exactly does it prove that? ESL or summer?
>>
>>4041530
>Why did gamepads overtake joysticks?
Cheaper to produce, cheaper price for consumers, less breakable parts, easier to design controller not to get cramped, easier to place more buttons, easier control for 3d games (no need to use 2 different joysticks and still control the game as usual when you could just use a dpad or 1 to 2 thumbsticks) etc.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.