[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are cables like this any good? I hear bad things about S-video

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: digi0014.jpg (44KB, 665x391px) Image search: [Google]
digi0014.jpg
44KB, 665x391px
Are cables like this any good? I hear bad things about S-video cables that have a composite out, but it's really hard to find shielded ones without it for a reasonable price.
>>
I am sorry for what your thread will become
>>
composite to s-video is pointless

/thread
>>
>>4038791
Yes you retard but what I'm asking is if an S-Video/composite video cable is even worth using?
>>
S-video is outdated. Nothing uses it and all things that once were compatible with it have been discontinued. You might get an even more shitty retro looking feel with S video vs Composite, but its supposedly a worse signal and connection that composite and component
>>
>>4039606
Okay but the N64 can only do S Video without mods and my PVM supports it.
>>
>>4039606

This. This is utter shit.
>>
>>4039606
>getting mad about outdated technology on a board about outdated technology
>>
>>4038682
They can be. Most of them have a composite signal wired to the S-video plug, so you're not getting real S-video from it. They cables can also give you a checkerboard effect.
>>
>>4038682
>S-video to composite + stereo audio

I'm not an expert but that probably won't work.
>>
>>4039595
the pic you posted is a really esoteric cable used for outputting a composite a/v signal from a din port with the same shape as s-video. you wouldn't use anything like it for average gaming consoles.

If you're asking if a cable like this, that has a console multi-out on one end, and s-video/composite a/v leads on the other, then no, try not to buy these. Not all of them are guilty of this, but a lot of cheaper cables with this setup are only pinned for composite video, and have that split to the s-video plug, resulting in a poor image. You can also have issues where the s-video is pinned out with proper chroma-luma on the multi-out but the cable itself is not wired or shielded well, causing noise/interference.

When buying s-video cables, in order of preference:
1: OEM new cables
2: OEM used cables
3: High-end third party (Hori, early Monster ect.)
4: Generic third-party that look shielded, with no composite lead
I wouldn't recommend buying anything that's not one of these.

S-video is a great connector type and was supported by most consoles of the 90s and 2000s. Visually it's very similar to RGB and component at the same resolutions, and much higher in quality than composite video. In NA territories s-video has the most flexibility, being found commonly on pvms and other pro video monitors as well as high-end consumer sets from about 1987 to the end of crt production in the late 2000s.
>>
>>4039606
>s-video
>worse than composite

>>4038682
you shouldn't take those because the s-video part of that cable really displays composite, also shielding doesn't matter for anything that isn't scart
>>
>>4038682
No. They're useless and retarded. Like underage summerfags. You don't even know what the cable is.
>>
I got a composite/s-video cable for my Saturn, and it does look better than the OEM composite cable, but I switched back to using the composite cable until I can get an OEM s-video cable out of paranoia, anyway.

Also, your pic is just a composite cable. You should have used a composite + s-video cable to illustrate what you're talking about.
>>
>>4039687
>>
>>4039706
>also shielding doesn't matter for anything that isn't scart

ahahah oh wow.
>>
>>4040554
do s-video/composite have any shielding than?
>>
>>4038682
that ain't real s-video friend

get the real s-video N64 cord made by nintendo if you can still find it
>>
>>4040565
Decent ones do
>>
>>4042812
Is it even noticeable if they aren't?
>>
>>4043048
Depends on how much interference there is in the situation. I've seen cases where not having shielding is very noticeable.
>>
>>4043189
I haven't, ever. I mean really, I've never had too deal with a composite or s-video cable that was worse than normal.
>>
Quit being a pussy and make your own cables.
>>
>>4038731
fpbp
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.