[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where were you when retro game speculators and collectors decided

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

File: Ccboe0rUcAEp03G.0.jpg (73KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Ccboe0rUcAEp03G.0.jpg
73KB, 600x800px
Where were you when retro game speculators and collectors decided to kill the future of the hobby?
>>
You know a Jaguar with a clear case would be pretty dope
>>
Just collect GameBoy/Sega/Atari games and get flashcarts for everything else. That's what I'm doing
>>
>>4038305
>>4038313
So, did the makers of this thing get hold of the original Jaguar moulds from that dental equipment manufacturer or what?
>>
>>4038356
The team acquired the original jaguar molds to preserve history and because it saved all sorts of costs in design and would have done the same for manufacturing costs.
>>
neat reminds me of that clear failobox lol
>>
>>4038305
i don't think people predicted this magnitude of autism coming
>>
I still don't know the story behind this, can anyone fill me in on why it's a troll image here?
>>
>>4038313
They should have just sold custom Jaguar shells.
>>
What is wrong here? I've liked transparent cases, are they shit or something?
>>
>>4038305
Probably asleep. But if someone has killed the future of the hobbies of collecting and speculating it's no skin off my back. I just care about the hobby of playing.
>>
>>4038626
Forgive my retardation here but what is retro speculation?
>>
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/crowdfunded-coleco-chameleon-game-console-is-a-mess
sorry for the shitty link I'll try to give a summary as best I can
basically this guy got a bunch of trademarks and promised that he would deliver a retro cartridge console that would easy to develop for and have no online updates
after not having a prototype for a long time he convinced someone to shoot a commercial and tried to get on Kickstarter but didn't have a prototype so he had to go to Indiegogo
from that he was supposed to show off the console at a toy convention and he basically used in SAS many taped up in a black jaguar shell
>>
>>4038643
**SNES mini guts in a black Jaguar shell running a flash cart
>>
>>4038629
Watching the retro market I assume? It's OP's hobby, not mine. I just like playing games.
>>
>>4038305

There's no point in having any physical equipment for retro gaming other than a normal computer and a generic controller. If a particular sort of emulation isn't working the way you want then that's just an indication someone could make improvements to that particular sort of emulation. Appealing to hardware is going backwards.
>>
>>4038653
Ideally this would be true, but some games don't emulate well in which case you need the original hardware.
>>
File: Coleco-Cham-Shot-03.jpg (511KB, 1150x739px) Image search: [Google]
Coleco-Cham-Shot-03.jpg
511KB, 1150x739px
>>4038643
You left out the part where they had faked another prototype by sticking a graphics card in the clear shell.
>>
>>4038653
Real consoles are bretty gud tho
>>
>>4038596
No trolling here. The chameleon was an attempt to open up the retro game scene and make it accessible to everyone of just collectors who are holding hundreds of games hostage.

The chameleon would have been both new indie retro-style games released bug-free on cartridges as well as the ability to play any original cartridges from a huge variety of consoles. This would have been supplemented with compilation cartridges and rereleases of popular games that are now hard to find and/or prohibitively expensive. It was going to be a retro console revolution. As soon as the ecelebs and youtube collectors heard about it, they launched a huge misinformation/smear campaign and did everything they could to ensure the project didn't become a reality. They knew that if it came out, their huge collections (which they're banking on for retirement) would be devalued overnight. It's a real shame, fear and greed killed the chameleon before it even had a chance. It would have been a gift to the retro community, but the powers that be decided they couldn't risk their game collections losing value and when they spoke out against it the people followed like good little sheep.
>>
>>4038875
>The chameleon was an attempt to open up the retro game scene and make it accessible to everyone

So it tried to do what emulation is already doing a wonderful job of? I can see why it failed.
>>
>>4038875
>shilling a dead idea
lel
>>
Oh boy another Chameleon devs din dun nuffin thread.
>>
>>4038875
This is wrong though. Is that you Socal Mike? Kys.
>>
>>4038875
>The chameleon would have been both new indie retro-style games released bug-free on cartridges as well as the ability to play any original cartridges from a huge variety of consoles

Why would any developer of any kind of game in 2017 choose something as expensive as cartridges to release their game when there are a plethora of ways to it without that extra cost?
>>
>>4038893
The difference being that it would have used state of the art FPGA technology to provide a better experience than an emulator ever could.

>>4038903
Do you enjoy blindly following what ecelebs tell you to think? I'm sure it's done you a lot of good.

>>4038908
Digital distribution is fine but it doesn't preserve the games. People like physical copies, it's the whole reason there's any sort of collectors market for games at all. With the chameleon people would have gotten a far more authentic experience than they ever would playing on a PC.
>>
>>4038875
You're massively delusional
>>
>>4038596
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JYMd57NWyo
>>
>>4039000
>People like physical copies, it's the whole reason there's any sort of collectors market for games at all.

But that market is comparatively very small. I didn't ask for reasons why you would like there to me a new market for carts. I asked for reasons why a developer would want to front the cost.
>>
>>4038713

How does having a graphics card visible make you know it's fake?
>>
>>4039000

>The difference being that it would have used state of the art FPGA technology to provide a better experience than an emulator ever could.

So even though emulators give us every game we could ever want on every major retro system and several modern ones too all with the convenience of running on a normal computer or phone, a bunch of autists decided they need to go back to hardware solutions to make the visuals slightly better in a way mentally healthy people would never notice. Glad you cleared that up for us.
>>
>>4038305
??? They went to a toy show and stuck a SNES mini in a shell to tried to fool people into funding their shit project.

And then isn't that the fucking PC tuner card picture?
>>
>>4039037
They took the pictures down as soon as people figured out what was going on.
>>
>>4038875
>and rereleases of popular games that are now hard to find and/or prohibitively expensive
Bullshit.
If there was enough incentive to work out the licencing on most of those, they'd be downloadable titles on the current consoles.
>>
>>4039037
It's a Comart HiCap DVR capture card for PCI bus servers/workstations used to control CCTV security cameras, and it was the only PCB inside the shell. In case this isn't clear, an obsolete PCI capture card is not capable of running a retro console.
Who knows whose closet or dumpster they fished it out of.
>>
>>4039000 (check'd)
>it would have been what the ANT Mini is as just an undocumented bonus feature
>>
I'm still amazed this thing even got the Coleco branding when all they had were some SNES mini parts inside a Jaguar shell.
>>
>>4038305

Why these idiots think collectors want anything that isn't original hardware and games?
>>
>>4039741
Because the relevant trademarks were swooped up by some small-time licensing firm for near nothing. Who cares about the final product when you receive your royalties either way?
>>
>>4038875
Mike, you really need to stop scamming people. You still owe people money, and lots of it.
>>
people are still discussing this? iirc it flopped hard almost a year ago
>>
>>4038875
Possibly the worst post I've ever seen on /vr/ - this thing was a stupid convoluted mess
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.