[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So Ive played plenty of zelda over the past 30 years, but i never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: zelda.jpg (790KB, 1018x1018px) Image search: [Google]
zelda.jpg
790KB, 1018x1018px
So Ive played plenty of zelda over the past 30 years, but i never played these two games. i just completed them both and they were really great.

i played ages first and then seasons and did the majority of the important "linked" secrets.

I think I enjoyed seasons a little more, but who knows how i would feel if i had played them in reverse order.
>>
fuck tokays
>>
File: Ricky.png (10KB, 250x286px) Image search: [Google]
Ricky.png
10KB, 250x286px
Seasons might be the best GBC game. Ricky's the man.
>>
Thought they were both pretty weak and boring, but they weren't bad by any measure. It really felt to me like they were just trying to push out new Zelda games for anything quickly to print more cash.
>>
>>4036141
i actually didnt know about the animal buddies as i tried to not look up anything about the games, and so i got stuck with moosh for both games... which i wasnt thrilled about but i only really used the animal buddy for the required parts anyway.

honestly thats sort of true about the rod of seasons as well, i didnt find myself using it too often unless it was required. the harp of ages on the other hand i was using left and right, maybe it was just required more often?
>>
>>4036064
I prefer Seasons too since it had better items (Roc's Cape is amazing), better dungeons for the latter half (Ages' first half blows Seasons' out of the water, though) and better world map (just wish Subrosia was bigger). Seasons also had less parts like Tokay Island and Rolling Ridge in Ages.
>>
>>4036949
meh... while you may technically be right per the definition of retro in the /vr sticky, these games VERY similar to link's awakening which is lauded here as a retro masterpiece. They are so similar in spirit and form that saying they arent retro because they came out 2 years after 1999 is a weak argument, especially considering that that aside from being colored, these are no different than standard gameboy games pre-1999.
>>
>>4036967 >>4036064

actually im fairly certain the definition of retro per the sticky is "Retro gaming means consoles, computer games, arcade games (including pinball) and any other forms of video games on platforms launched in 1999 and earlier. With the release of the 8th generation of consoles, the Sega Dreamcast will now be considered "retro", though the remainder of the sixth generation (Xbox, PS2, GameCube) will not."

The gameboy color PLATFORM was LAUNCHED in 1998, despite these 2 zelda games coming out in 2001. So these are definitely retro as are any other games on the gameboy color, notwithstanding the release date of the games themselves.

I do realize that techincally this means that if I programmed a game for the gameboy color now in 2017, it could still be considered retro per the definition, but hey, i didnt write the definition.
>>
>>4036949
>>4036967
Man, you people are so fucking dumb. It is retro.

>>4036980
>I do realize that techincally this means that if I programmed a game for the gameboy color now in 2017, it could still be considered retro per the definition, but hey, i didnt write the definition.
That is exactly as it works, which is why we talk about the Genesis RPG from time to time.
>>
>>4036936
I thought the puzzles in ages were very clever and certainly made the game more mentally challenging, and some of the items in ages were cool, like the seed/richochet shooter as opposed to a 3-way slingshot (which was just as cool too) and the switchhook was cool, although once the intrigue wore off i realized i would have preferred a standard hookshot,

rocs cape was awesome though.

youre right about rolling ridge and tokay island though, i really disliked those areas. i hated having to traverse rolling ridge afterwards too to finish sidequests and stuff.

and youre right again about the worldmaps, i liked seasons much more.
>>
I loved Seasons, but Ages can go fuck itself.
>>
>>4036064
They're both shit compared to Link's Awakening.
>>
>>4038005
i loved links awakening, but im not really sure what one can point to that would make it better than either of these two games. Perhaps the atmosphere and NPCs were a little more engaging/endearing, but ages/seasons expanded on many of the good things in LA: gave some rockin' items, full-blown color rather than just a palette for LA-DX, and those freakin' guardian acorns are gone as well as the text box every time you ran into something you could pick up without the power bracelet equipped.

certainly ages/seasons had some hangups, tokay island, rolling ridge, a few of the ages puzzles, etc. but just as I have a hard time saying that ages/seasons are better than LA, i have a hard time saying the reverse as well.

LA, Ages, and Seasons make a nice little canon for the gameboy zeldas by sharing enough common ground to maintain familiarity and enough difference to keep the games distinct.

All 3 are high quality games with a slightly different appeal. LA for atmosphere, originality, nostalgia and the classic zelda vibe before things started breaking further from the mold set by zelda 1 and LTTP; Ages for more of a mental challenge and more unique and out of the box puzzles/items (switchhook and seed richochets im looking at you) and a good attempt at some endearing characters etc.; and Seasons for some more fighting monsters and some nostalgia throwbacks to zelda 1 with a little less emphasis on the plot/character development and complexity of the puzzles.
>>
>>4038616
oh and for hangups.... the animal buddies. I really didnt care for that aspect so much, especially considering you are stuck with the one you get, and arent aware you can make a choice on your first play through (unless i missed some info along the way).

And lastly....i was never a fan of the "linked" shit that pokemon and these games did. it was frustrating to me to have to jump through all the extra hoops to get the entire experience. that was a once-in-a-lifetime sort of thing for me, if i play these games again I wont bother with the linked aspects.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.