[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to have fun with jrpgs without looking at wikis?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: 005-skeleton.png (9KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
005-skeleton.png
9KB, 240x160px
Is it possible to have fun with jrpgs without looking at wikis? It seems to me that, without knowing the singularities of each item/enemy, you are missing out the whole point
>>
I would use a walk through or guide on a second play through. I don't care if i miss everything.
Most any game I blind run unless I feel like I'm wasting my time like with the first zelda.
>>
yes, I finish most of them without looking up anything, but then again I don't have an autistic need to 100% every game I play
the only time I look something up is when I don't know where to go, or if I keep getting KO'd by the same enemy
>>
>>4035017
Play the Atelier games. I've played through several of them and I've never had to look anything up despite their depth and comprehensiveness.

Then again they tend to have huge amounts of in-game data. The games are very transparent.
>>
Try finding out stuff with trial and error.
>>
>>4035017
Yes, as long as you don't have OCD.
>>
>>4035017
Jrpg is not a genre.
>>
File: cool.jpg (25KB, 537x537px) Image search: [Google]
cool.jpg
25KB, 537x537px
> mfw Kids actually feel this way

When i was a kid we just had fun. Minmaxing wasnt we thought about.
>>
>>4035017
think of it as a little mystery for you to solve. write it all down in a little notebook
>>
>>4035198
I felt like pointing this out too, but I have never done this. JRPG are too easy. I was barely able to read when I first played final fantasy legends
>>
>>4035024
This, unless I get really stuck. If secrets and hidden stuff aren't found after some time spent searching, I'll use a guide
>>
Pretty much every FF is easy even without a guide, same with DQ. From about 5 onward FF started adding secrets and shit for replayability, but the base game is always simple.
>>
>>4035017
I struggle with this too. When I was a kid, I would play each RPG I bought at least twice. I would play once completely blind and probably missing tons of stuff, where I would make mental notes of what I would do more efficiently on my next playthrough. Then a second time where I tried to min/max perfectly every step of the way with my metagame goals in mind, and try to 100% it.

Now in my thirties with a full-time job and a wife + kids, there really isn't time to spend 4-8 hrs a day on my hobbies, so I can't do two playthroughs of a retro RPG unless I want to spend an entire year on one game. That means I end up looking things up as I go to I don't miss things or plan my builds wrong. It saps a lot of the joy out of playing, but my autism won't let me leave things unknown.

How do I get comfortable with playing blind again?
>>
>>4035017

Are you somebody that grew up in the "achievement era" of video games? RPGs were always about getting swole and being a jew with my money for like every game. I literally never buy any equipment from stores in RPGs, only use shit I found.
>>
>>4035642
divorce
>>
>>4035642
>How do I get comfortable with playing blind again?
gauge your eyes out
>>
>>4035017
yeah. stop having autism. just try to get through the dungeons and fight the bosses. If grinding isnt fun for you, then stop ruining the game for yourself.

It's not like itll be wasted contact, because then it'll make your playthrough unique, classic jrpg's were heavily influenced by rouge after all. in rouge, the only reason to grind was to be stronger, so you can see the rest of the game. Jrpgs are easier, so grinding isn't necessary to play the game, though you can if you're having trouble with a section.
>>
>>4035195
This. If we stumbled upon a dope high level item or something that allowed us to get super powerful, that was all the better, but most of the time the solution was to git gud and grind.
>>
File: Amano_Firion_III.jpg (28KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Amano_Firion_III.jpg
28KB, 320x320px
The way I see it, you can give yourself carpal tunnel pushing 1 button to beat any of these games, but paying attention to what moves are effective on a trial-and-error basis can make the difference between a 20 hour playthrough and one that's 45+. These games taught me patience.

Or you can find a walkthrough on gamefags. This is also a valid option. Pic related - best orphan.
>>
>>4035642
Realize that the majority of JRPGs are designed for retards and you'll still be able to beat them if your build is wrong or you missed out on the ultimate weapon.
>>
Don't use a fucking wiki for any game unless your a shit head who is lost in the game. It ruins any fun you would have finding new things.
>>
>>4035017
well, I look up for guides not because I want to complete the game 100%, but because I usually get lost and don't know where to go.
>>
>>4035017
i've never thought to do this in my life
>>
>>4035017
Jesus christ, just play the fucking game instead of worrying about whether you're playing it "right" or not.
>>
>game has any form of unnecessary grind or unlock system
Min-max is legitimate. The developer is swindling you and wasting your free time.

Otherwise, you're just spoiling the game for yourself.
>>
JRPGs are about exploration and experimentation. You're supposed to find and figure things out on your own. You're the one who's missing the whole point.
>>
tangentially related, some autismo recently said he thought Castlevania AoS was a shitty game because he felt he had to collect every soul before moving on
>>
>>4035204
FFL is easy as fuck even by JRPG standards. Even if you discount the Saw bug, the most optimal way to play is "Pick human, sell starting weapon and get some armor, go fucking nuts", you might need allies as meat shields due to the final boss doing 500 damage (or you could just chainsaw him).

Grab your phone and play Romancing SaGa 2, you'll come back crawling.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.