[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the comfiest retro game? Why don't modern games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10

File: NARSHE.gif (137KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
NARSHE.gif
137KB, 500x700px
What is the comfiest retro game? Why don't modern games feel as comfy?
>>
>>4034825
I can't see Narshe as a comfy place
> Being held captive
> Raped repeatedly
> Have no free wild.

FF V felt more comfy. Even 1
>>
>>4034825
Narshe is meant to be the contrary of "comfy".
>>
>>4034825
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
>>
>>4034825
>Why don't modern games feel as comfy?
Because you have no nostalgia for them.
>>
>>4034825
If you ask me Elder Scrolls IV has a very comfy town and wilderness atmosphere. Can't think of many other examples
>>
>>4034825
GTA and Call of Duty killed the "comfy" market.

>>4035139
I didn't had nostalgia for Final Fantasy 9 when I first played it and felt comfy.
>>
>>4034996
>>4035101
as long as I've know this board it has been only been mildly hostile, when did /vr/ become ultra gay, is it summer in the states already?
>>
>>4035178
Summer starts around the end of the month for most states, this normal shittiness
>>
Kakarikoo Village in OoT
I used to roam there all the time during morning, noon and night, imagining dialogues and activities. I barely knew english at the time so I had no idea what they were saying
>>
>>4034996
I unironically use "comfy" all the time to describe things. Stay mad though.
>>
File: goe1453261-zazen01.png (317KB, 608x416px) Image search: [Google]
goe1453261-zazen01.png
317KB, 608x416px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ50oFAXDlg
>>
File: monwXD1r0sqjpo1_500.gif (999KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
monwXD1r0sqjpo1_500.gif
999KB, 500x280px
>>4034825
There are some hella comfy modern games.

Comfiest retro game is SaGa Frontier 2

>>4034996
Seconded
>>
>>4035003
>>4035013
It's sort of cozy if you forget about the context, which I think is easy because it doesn't always impart that "oppressed" feeling it seeks. It's kind of sleepy, and looks like it might be pretty warm as opposed to the surrounding region.
>>
>>4035374
>>4035003
>>4035013

Narshe is more cozy than comfy. It's all the snow and steamy warm interiors.
>>
File: 1405717734704.jpg (15KB, 175x231px) Image search: [Google]
1405717734704.jpg
15KB, 175x231px
it's comforting to know that even though /vr/ has turned to shit, there's still this one retard raging about the use of 'comfy'. keep on keeping on, anon.
>>
>>4035767
Everything social turns to shit with time, at least /vr/ is still better than /v/ and most other video game discussion boards on the internet.
>>
File: dragon quest.gif (287KB, 500x611px) Image search: [Google]
dragon quest.gif
287KB, 500x611px
DQIII SNES remake is extra cozy, not just for the similar tilesets.
>>
>>4035985
Damn that looks beautiful.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAG_ZZaI3rA
>>
>>4035279
Kakariko is the definition of comfy for me. Good choice.

Also, congrats on learning English. I hear it's really tough for non-native speakers.
>>
>>4035985
Goddamn that's pretty.
Everyone suggests the GBC version but I'm leaning towards playing the SNES version now.
>>
>>4034825
Because graphics look closer to real life and real life isn't comfy at all.
>>
>>4034825

Too many of them avoid having light-hearted moments because "mature games for mature people".
>>
People saying depressing or dystopian settings can't be comfy do not seem to fully get the intention of the term. To me comfy is a feeling a game gives you. It isn't based on how it would feel to legitimately live in the setting. It's a byproduct of immersion through atmosphere and mechanics. When someone says that a game is comfy what they're really saying is "It feels good to play this game."

In that regard dystopian settings can absolutely be comfy. The straight up comfiest game setting I've ever experienced was STALKER and that's fucking based in a grimdark, essentially hopeless radioactive wasteland.

For retro games I'd say some of my comfiest experiences would be...

Age of Wonders
Super Metroid
Seiken Densetsu 3
and
Baldur's Gate
>>
>>4034825

The River King games. Like Harvest Moon, but more explicitly based off rural Japanese life.
>>
On top of my head:

>Super Mario World
>Ridge Racer Type 4
>Final Fantasy VII
>Psycho Fox
>Tobal 2
>Windjammers
>Quackshot

All pretty comfy.
>>
>>4036129
Not him, but English is very easy at a basic level, and very hard to master. After 25 years of speaking it, I'm still looking up words in the dictionary every day.
>>
>>4036204
I'm a 30 year old native english speaker and I still have to do this fairly regularly.
>>
>>4036204
I can't say, as a native speaker, that i have to look up words frequently, but i do still find myself looking up words every couple months.
>>
oversatuation of graphics
>>
>>4036194
>Baldur's Gate

Dat tavern/inn ambience
>>
Trails in the sky is comfy as hell and isn't retro (though it sure feels like a psx era game)

Problem is that a lot of western games focus solely on violence and a lot of Japanese games focus on fan service, neither of which lend themselves to that feeling
>>
>>4035283
This.
>>
Because 3d and differnt sprites and just how the software and style's have changed with Jrpgs.

That "aesthetic" style Wont happen again just cause. But the fan community's of various Jrpgs have lots of fan hacks, ect.
>>
DOOM.
The formative experience for my young imagination, lots of nostalgia
>>
File: 1445799190875.jpg (932KB, 1000x685px) Image search: [Google]
1445799190875.jpg
932KB, 1000x685px
>>4036194
Tiberian Sun is a good example of what you're talking about.
>>
>>4035003
I kinda feel the same way about Koorong in SaGa Frontier. It shouldn't be comfy, but it is to me.
>>
File: fishing8276-gfs_5.jpg (28KB, 322x290px) Image search: [Google]
fishing8276-gfs_5.jpg
28KB, 322x290px
>>4034825
River King is by far the comfiest game there is
>>
File: kol.png (160KB, 869x1035px) Image search: [Google]
kol.png
160KB, 869x1035px
>>4037119
Kol village
>>
Hotshots golf 2
>>
>>4036821
The main street is cozy. The back street is scary though.
>>
Speaking Zelda, I think Mabe Village is definitely my favorite.
First of all, Marin and Tarin, and how they make you feel at home while being total strangers, love these guys, and Marin is of course a very special character.
Then the layout of the village is pretty good, Iike that there's not a lot of houses crowded together or anything, it's a relaxed little place near the beach, and villagers are all interesting and memorable, Ulrira, the old lady with the chomp chain, the family that for some reason are mice (and later on we find an actual Animal Village), the store owner, and last but not least, the fishing spot.
I could live in Mabe and I'd never want to awake the wind fish, if monsters come I'll just tell the store owner to take care of them.
>>
>>4034825

100% /vr/ circlejerking right there.

BotW is as comfy as it gets, and in a way that even /vr/ can probably appreciate
>>
>>4036194
Good fuckin' post, anon. Comfy basically means a setting feels real and immersive and "lived-in," which makes it enjoyable to inhabit. It doesn't necessarily mean it's super nice and cozy, otherwise we'd only see holodecks and mansions in these threads.
>>
>>4037289
OP equates comfiness with nostalgia.
>>
>>4037289
Oh hell yeah. Comfiest Zelda in ages. Comfiest since Wind Waker. All of them since OoT have had really nice towns with lots of personality, though
>>
>>4037279

I don't know, I don't like the solation you feel on Koholint, it seems like only Marin and the children of Mabe village are aware of it.

That being said, I want a go at madam Meow Meow.
>>
>>4037279
Its theme is one of the most nostalgic vidya music pieces for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmHy-qUtjhY
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.