[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Im looking to buy a old crt, what are the essential ports necessary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: $_86.jpg (73KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
$_86.jpg
73KB, 1024x576px
Im looking to buy a old crt,
what are the essential ports necessary for retro gaming? scart, composite, component?
>>
>>4033693
BNC
>>
File: IMAG0638.jpg (752KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0638.jpg
752KB, 2560x1440px
>>4033693
Rf only
>>
>>4033693
component and s-video.

buy high end brands - sony, toshiba, panasonic
>>
If you're in the US it will have composite and s-video, component if it's newer. SCART was very uncommon in the US.
>>
>>4033735
Pretty much this as a rule of thumb on buying consumer sets in the US. They'll all have composite of course and S-Video will be what you want to use for simple high-quality play on (most) retro systems. Component will be what you move to if you start doing emulation onCRT or if you get into RGB. RGB (which almost no consumer sets in the US have) can be simply and cheaply transcoded to component. If RGB SCART is available to you in your region get that. I also usually like to mention that small sets (less than 14 inches) can be hard to find with both S-Video and component for some reason so if you're shopping in that size range keep that in mind.
>>
i seen a panasonic locally but it only had scart, i have a ps2 with component cable so will hold out for a tv that supports that i guess, whats a good size screen?
>>
>>4033731
Not ideal, but it can be done. Grew up with only RF and at one point had 5 RF modulators chained back there.
>>
>>4033758
That's a weird situation but just get a scart cable for the ps2. What country are you in?
>>
File: consolized arcade board.jpg (48KB, 600x336px) Image search: [Google]
consolized arcade board.jpg
48KB, 600x336px
>>4033693

Depends entirely on what you want out of your systems. Do you care if you play in RGB or not, cause there's a huge difference between RF/composite & say, RGB/component.
>>
>>4033735
Not OP but how is JVC? I see a lot of surprisingly cheap JVC monitors with S-video.
>>
>>4033731
This.
Either RF or Composite.

Component or RGB looks way too sharp for me and I prefer the composite graphical artifacts.
>>
>>4034418
The most fucked up TV I ever bought was a JVC iArt
>>
I picked up a Sony Trinitron 27 inch CRT from the side of the road, took it home and it powers on but it has no picture. The front red LED blinks 4 times which signals a diagnostic about something called horizontal deflection or VSTOP. How do I go about fixing this TV?
>>
>>4033693
Composite is generally good enough for all /vr/ consoles. ant. in is generally pretty handy for pre 3rd gen consoles. If you want 6th gen consoles to look good component is pretty good but if you don't care about graphics quality composite is a good choice all around.
>>
>>4034440
Tell the cockroach family to move out of the CRT
>>
>>4034440
>Four blinks - No vertical Deflection (V STOP), Screen goes to a single horizontal line then the video signal muted. Check IC1509, Q1505

I don't know what the parts at the end are.
>>
>>4034441
I think NES games actually look better on composite or RF
I will never understand the people who RGB mod everything down to their Atari 2600
>>
>>4033693
>tfw blindly go out and buy a crt at a local garage sale for $20 and it turns out to be an hd pos that doesn't even have composite hook up and looks just as bad as playing on the 52in lcd display you were using prior
>>
File: TVJVC.jpg (242KB, 1536x600px) Image search: [Google]
TVJVC.jpg
242KB, 1536x600px
>>4034436
I was looking at this one. Not sure about buying from ebay though. Are they built to handle shipping?
>>
>>4034491
>Are they built to handle shipping?

No.
>>
>what are the essential ports necessary for retro gaming?
Whatever connectors the consoles you want to hook up use. Play video games, don't jerk off to image quality.
>>
>>4034497

This. I have two PVMs, and I still just use the composite and s-video.
>>
File: fuck video games.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
fuck video games.gif
2MB, 500x500px
Just go to goodwill and buy one that has composite, s-video is a bonus so is component but nice to look out for. Try to not get HD ones cause they're shit. Also don't fall for the PVM RGB meme, consumer TVs are good enough. Afterall, that's how you remember it and it's only 240p or 480i anyway.
>>
>>4034482
Oops I meant only has composite
>>
>>4033693
Well, it depends.

Tell us about yourself. How old are ya? What are your other hobbies?

You think I'm joking but this makes a difference.
>>
>>4034491
>Are they built to handle shipping?
No. They were manufactured in your living room. kek. The question should be can the faggot pack it well enough.
>>
>>4033693
you should be looking for a 4" to 8" PVM for truly epic retro gaming as the developers intended. Make sure the scanlines are extra dark and thick just as everybody remembers from their childhood
>>
>>4033693
Some kind of high quality connection - either RGB SCART and/or Component.
Pro-tip, don't fall for the PVMeme.
>>4034501
What's the fucking point?
>>
>>4034453
IC is some kind of integrated circuit, likely proprietary and unavailable.

Q is a transistor, I'd start with that. Get the service manual and go to town on that bitch.
>>
>>4034440
>learn about electronics
>learn about tvs
>fix tv

>>4034686
>likely off the shelf shit used in millions of TVs
FTFY
>>
>>4036483
Sony used a lot of proprietary chips, kiddo. A lot are available but from China with zero qc.
>>
>>4036489
Sure thing kiddo who doesn't even know what the chip is. lol
>>
>>4037587
If anon would be so kind as to post a more specific description for his TV than "27 inch Trinitron" then I could look up the IC and its availability in 30 seconds flat.

As it stands though we're going to have to continue calling each other kiddo repeatedly until one of us turns into a skellington...
>>
>>4033756
How do I cheaply convert RGB to component for my US CRT?
>>
>>4034681
>What's the fucking point?
Playing video games, are you fucking daft?
>>
Composite and rf. thats all you need. any crt is better then trying to play on a tv that is not meant for old consoles.
>>
File: 41-n278GsqL[1].jpg (18KB, 256x279px) Image search: [Google]
41-n278GsqL[1].jpg
18KB, 256x279px
>>4038001
I used this pic shows both ends but all the ones I've actually seen are all black and say "scart-to-yuv" on them the shitty thing about them is that for fuck knows what reason they don't include audio breakouts so you need to use a scart passthrough that has them.
>>
>>4038030
There is no point getting a pvm if you're not going to use rgb on it. You're better off just getting a sdtv.
>>
>>4038450
I have a PVM, and use some consoles with S-video and Composite with it.
>>
>>4038450

There's plenty of a point. There's a clear quality upgrade whether you're using RGB or not. I bought both of the PVMs that I have long before this board existed, anyway, and I bought them to play video games on; not to jerk off to the pixel quality.
>>
>>4038050
When you're charging $50 for $1 in electronic components it's important to cut costs. kek
>>
>>4038450
>There is no point getting a pvm if you're not going to use rgb on it.
If it's the only CRT you can find, the point of getting one is to play video games.

You seem to have lost sight of the goal of having a CRT, which is to play retro games without input lag. Playing video games fluidly is more important than masturbating to what pixels look like.
>>
>>4033693
If in EU, a few SCART ports is all you need.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.