[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is the most modern "retro" game I've ever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: 52361-Medal_of_Honor_(E)-1.jpg (86KB, 726x726px) Image search: [Google]
52361-Medal_of_Honor_(E)-1.jpg
86KB, 726x726px
This is the most modern "retro" game I've ever played.
>cinematic
checked
>fps
checked
>dual analog
checked
>lineal
checked
>heavily scripted
checked

Bring me something more in line with the current trends, I'll wait.
>>
it's basically a retro cowadoody, so yeah
>>
>>4032906
>cinematic
No shit, it was made by Steven Spielberg
>>
That's as close as the Playstation had ever gotten to something like Goldeneye 007. Still not as good though.
>>
File: 1413328667659[1].png (17KB, 190x325px) Image search: [Google]
1413328667659[1].png
17KB, 190x325px
>>4032906
This and its original sequel underground were some of the best MoH games period.

>Panzerknacker levels
>>
>>4032906
>heavily scripted
implying that's a good thing
>>
>>4033305
inplying that's a bad thing
>>
YUR PAPURS ARR IN ORDAH
>>
>>4033198
syphon filter 2 is better than goldeneye
>>
MOH1 and 2 on ps1 are to this day some of the best shooters.

It's silly how satisfying the gunplay feels even today, almost 20 years later. The sound and AI design too. Plus it had aesthetics with its art style.

Don't hate on these games anon, they were genuinely challenging too compared to modern shitpile you are pidgeonholing them in with.
>>
>>4032906
>>4033305
>>4033317
>>4034687
>MoH
>cinematic
>linear
>heavily scripted
These design decisions were done because of lack of hardware. Not to achieve a cinematic feel.

There is no real retro game made with modern design choices simply because the hardware lacks the ability to give the dev the luxury.
>>
>>4034689
>not to achieve a cinematic feel

Spielberg literally made the game in a conscious effort to replicate Saving Private Ryan's atmosphere and feel.
>>
>>4034692
And it failed badly at that. What you got was a linear shooter that relies entirely on cutscenes to provide any cinematic feel. The cutscenes and gameplay are separate. MoH instead stands out for its polish more than anything. Great graphics on the PS1. Fun gameplay. Had AI that would throw grenades back. It was just a great game.

Compared to a modern game like any console CoD that uses linear levels as a convenience and "playable cutscenes" along with cutscenes that try to seamlessly go in between gameplay.

And it lacks the most important aspect of the modern cancer cinmatic game. QTE trash.
>>
File: 625_298326[1].jpg (1MB, 2823x1407px) Image search: [Google]
625_298326[1].jpg
1MB, 2823x1407px
>>4034705
You don't have to sell it to me, it's in my top 10 of all time and I could honestly talk about it for days, that's how perfect I think it is. I also wish we could get another ww2 game that would go for that kind of atmosphere.

Also I wouldn't say that these two games are THAT linear. Often you have larger levels with multiple objectives spread around.
>>
>>4034712
I have a soft spot for late 90s to mid 2000s fps.

Compared to PC fps of the time they are linear. An Unreal level like facing worlds is massive in comparison. Not saying they are small. In fact MoH level were large for the time but still linear. They had to be on 5th gen consoles.

Linear levels of today are for the convenience of lazy devs. Easy to program/get Indians to code it, easy to control the story, and easy to control the player.

I just don't consider any retro game to be in modern cancer territory. Excluding Dreamcast. It wasn't till 6th gen you got QTE shit that is core to cinematic games.
>>
>>4034716
The issue is that ps1 didn't get that many shooters that were good, most were multiplat garbage.

The World Is Not Enough is imho a pretty good one. Nintoddlers will claim it as their own but in reality its not a port, they were different games by different developers with few shared assets.

Then on the garbage spectrum... Rainbow Six 1/Rogue Spear, which were butchered to hell. The first Hidden and Dangerous game which was done so shoddily with sprites for weapon models and loading times that took as long as two minutes.

There was also a Men in Black game that played exactly like MOH but had way too colorful graphics and unsatisfying weapons.

Still unsure if pic related was really really shit or really really good for the time.
>>
>>4034727
PC dominated.

PS1 is pretty weak in the FPS/3rdPS genres. Other than MoH I wouldn't bother with the other games. There is a small group of die hards for that Alien game though. And sometimes people mention Delta Force.

N64 had the better shooters overall but I'd rate MoH a bit better than any of them.

Saturn had a cool port of Powerslave. About it.
>>
>>4034737
Delta Force is a true first proper dual analog FPS like we know them today. Its mediocre but it's functionally mediocre.

I will give Perfect Dark the credit it deserves for little bits of TECHNOLOGY and whatnot but yes, MOH/U is still the best that era of consoles had to offer.

MOH and Syphon Filter. SF was stupid smooth to play, the only people who didn't get "get" it were those who insisted on analog sticks instead of the god tier dpad. Snapping headshots left and right across the map with handguns was so damn satisfying.
>>
>>4034747
>Syphon Filter
Never been a fan.

But back to the OP. None of these shooters play like modern ones. Another thing I forgot about MoH. I don't think it had regen health? I could be wrong but I don't think it does. If I'm right that's another big thing against it playing like a modern shooter.
>>
>>4034762
No regen health. There a small kanteens that refill like 10% of health, medium packs that heal up a quarter and surgical kits that fill 75% or something. Plus on hard mode your health doesn't get magically refilled on start of the next mission, it transfers instead.

It was like that on Allied Assault and it's expansion packs, and as well as Frontline on ps2. They jumped the halo train on one of the next games.
>>
MoH's AI was very advanced, even for today's standards, which is a terrible thing. Present day devs somehow can't do better than on 1999?

The way MoH handled damage was also very impressive. Enemies reacted differently depending where you shot them. Shoot them on the arm, they drop their gun, shoot them on the leg, they fall to their knees and start limping, shoot them on the left side of the chest, instant kill (heartshot), shoot them on the groin, they drop their gun and fall to their knees holding their balls yelling in pain
>>
That's in line with 2010 trends, though.
>>
>>4032906
It is like OP forgot Half Life is retro.
>>
>>4034904
OP's a COD kid

this shitty thread is pure cancer
>>
>dual analog
I don't remember using the right analog to move the aim the whole time like in a 6th gen shooter, you don't have to hold one of the shoulder buttons to do that? I actually agree with all your points but I don't see a problem as it's one of the few exceptions for its time, not the rule. Love MoH and MoHU

>>4032931
the game is pretty slow paced to be compared to CoD
>>
>>4032906
I loved the stealth levels

>papahz, please
>yahr papahz ah een ahdauh
>>
>>4035058
YU AHR JIMMY PATURSUN
>>
>>4033198
MoH is much better.
>>
>>4032906
the only fps to give me motion sickness

fuck that game
>>
>>4033198
That's basically what drew me to OG MoH when it was released, it was touted as the closest thing on Playstation to Golden Eye.
>>
File: 1485734798932.jpg (160KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1485734798932.jpg
160KB, 1280x720px
>>4032906
man I remember playing this as a kid. It fucking sucked,
>>
>>4037194
watch out they're gonna burn you at the stake here for saying things like that

i hated it too, but MOHAA was top notch.
>>
>>4037210
>watch out they're gonna burn you at the stake here for saying things like that

maybe if he was talking about an N64 FPS
>>
>>4037214
No, actually I've seen people get flak for saying that about MOH and MOH Underground plenty of times before.
>>
>>4035040
>I don't remember using the right analog to move the aim the whole time like in a 6th gen shooter,
Actually it is there but by default control scheme is set to some cancer inducing shit for reason unknown.

You have to go to 4th set or something till you get modern day control and that is amazing just because it is actually modern day controls except without insane deadzones.

My only complaint is that aim help will magnet bullets to the enemies but disabling it means you will spray and pray.
>>
>>4032906
It is not a bad game but frontlines is the best of the series.

The PS1 just failed FPS games when the PC was king of them in the 90's (probably the fact that the controller usually got adapted to the original without the thumbsticks)

21300 Horseland
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.