[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IS there ever any situation in which there is a good reason for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

File: pea.jpg (37KB, 400x360px) Image search: [Google]
pea.jpg
37KB, 400x360px
IS there ever any situation in which there is a good reason for playing the Game Boy port of a game when it has a home console release as well and you have the option of playing either?
>>
>>4030503
I like the mega man games for the GB. The levels are all different and they take half of the bosses from the game they're named after, and half from the next one in the series which makes them a little different.
>>
>>4030503
Ports? Rarely.

GB exclusives can still be OK. They're definitely more barebones compared to other games, but sometimes they're interesting.

I think if you wanted to say you played and beat every Gameboy game then maybe that would be something worth shooting for. But then again, you wouldn't really get anything out of it. The dude who beat every NES game is still not even super popular.
>>
When the GB version is significantly different and offers interesting or even superior differences
>>
Quest: Brian's Journey is so much more put together than Quest 64. It's like a 2D, finished version of the game.

I kinda resent Quest 64 for being the more well known version. It basically just being known for being shitty doesn't help.
>>
>>4030503
Game boy Donkey Kong is an expansion of the original.
Bombliss on the game boy has very interesting unique challenge modes.
Kirby Star Stacker has way better music and sound effects than the super famicom version.
Kid Dracula on game boy is almost totally different compared to the famicom version and it's maybe even better.

So yeah, your argument is invalid.
>>
>>4030643
>So yeah, your argument is invalid
OP did not make an argument, he asked an honest question, you doofus.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
24KB, 480x360px
Tfw I somehow prefer Game Boy version of Dr. Mario over the NES original. Dunno why.
>>
>>4030718
That's because it has a truly random generator when it comes to the pills, whereas the NES version is fucked - it uses the same code to generate pills as it does to generate levels, meaning it looks at what you have the least of and thinks you need more of it. The result is you get that same red-yellow pill - that you don't need at fucking all - seven times in a row.
>>
>>4030503
I prefer GB Bionic Commando to the NES version. It has different levels and a cool futuristic artstyle.
>>
If you're on the go. Travelling with an NES is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>4030503
Dragon quest 1 & 2 are better on gameboy color.They added some improvements like not having you have to access the menu in order to speak to NPCs.
>>
>>4030718
Because puzzle games and RPGs are the best genres for handhelds.
>>
>>4030643
There is no "argument" I'm genuinely about all the hidden gems of the gameboy that might be better than their console counterparts.

Also you cannot count Donkey Kong, they're two very different games. One is a looping arcade game, and the other is a puzzle platformer where the beginning is an homage to the original arcade game which is really just a novelty since you can beat each stage in split seconds with Mario's new moveset.

>>4031301
But then there's also an SNES port that does the same thing. The only advantage the Gameboy version has at this point is an opening cutscene.
>>
Tetris on NES doesn't have Korobeiniki.
>>
File: Kid_Icarus_OM&M_boxart.png (140KB, 250x249px) Image search: [Google]
Kid_Icarus_OM&M_boxart.png
140KB, 250x249px
The only exception I can think of
>>
>>4031371

That's not a Gameboy port, that's a sequel.

Also while it has better mechanics, I think it's not very good compared to the original.
>>
>>4030514
Ntm the 5th GB game is completely original.
>>
>>4030503
When you're on the bus would would look like a colossal tool pulling a console and CRT out of a bag.
>>
When you're autistic and enjoy playing every version of each game.
It happens to me.
>>
>>4031981

See if that will stop me
>>
>>4031981
you'd look like a colossal tool if you played any videogames in public.
>>
>>4031981
>implying that wouldn't be peacock as fuck
>>
>>4032370
>still being insecure about playing vidya in public
>>
>>4031330
>Also you cannot count Donkey Kong, they're two very different games.
It's just called "Donkey Kong", though. I thought it was just a port with a few extra features when I bought it back in the day.
After beating the first introductory stages and a map screen was introduced, as well as all the new game mechanics, my mind was blown.
>>
>>4030785
How's the RNG in the SNES port?
SNES best music.
>>
File: 1495265739176.png (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1495265739176.png
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>4032370
Problem solved. Man /vr/ you're so unintelligent.
>>
>>4032868
>touch controls
>ads

you're just adding other problems
>>
>>4032875
Jrpg's work fine on a phone. It's the only genre id recommend on phone emulators though
>>
>>4030503
Is there ever an situation in where there is a good reason to do anything, OP? Think about it.
>>
>>4030514

Best example in this thread. Part of me wishes V was a rehash like the others, since IV was such a massive improvement over 4 and 5.
>>
File: 20170601_154324.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170601_154324.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
>>4031981
>pulling a console and CRT out of a bag.
Been there. Done that.

And yes, they both take batteries, so they're completely portable.
>>
>>4030503
Faceball 2000 is WAY better on Gameboy than any other format due to 16 player capabilities.
>>
>>4031983

I'm the same. Even if the game is the same each system produces a different visual in the way it renders things and handles effects. Interesting to see all the variations in look and feel.
>>
>>4032959
Only way this could be more hipster is if that was an authentic famicom.
>>
>>4033058
An original famicom can't work with batteries, though.
>>
>>4032959
You're missing the 70's style big over ear headphones. Also missing the FDS which also runs of batteries.
5/hipster
>>
Muh portable fags will always argue portables are "comfier."
>>
game boy games are just comfier to me, so there's that i guess

>>4032959
what the fuck is that bullshit
i want it
>>
>>4032959
I had a mini black and white radio TV when I was younger, wish I still had it.
>>
>>4033858

desu I didn't even think about the portability aspect when making this thread because my intention is to emulate on my big screen.
>>
>>4033858
Are you going to argue that carrying around a console and CRT is "comfier" faggot?
>>
Maybe it's just me, but a lot of GB games feel way more solid than their console counterparts. Maybe it's just because it was a simpler device to program for or something, but everything from controls and responsiveness to frame rate consistency seem better on the average GB title.
>>
File: Diakatana_for_GBC.jpg (16KB, 224x222px) Image search: [Google]
Diakatana_for_GBC.jpg
16KB, 224x222px
>>4030503
Yes OP when its the best version of the game.
>>
Why are there no emulators with proper DMG, MGB-001, MGB-101, and CGB palettes that resemble the actual hardware?
>>
>>4034946
the original sucked though
>>
>>4031330
>But then there's also an SNES port that does the same thing. The only advantage the Gameboy version has at this point is an opening cutscene.
The SNES port wasn't released over here. Obviously we have emulation and fan translations (or flash carts, repro carts, pick your poison) but there's still no easy and cheap-ish way to play it on real hardware
>>
>>4031347
> not playing Tengen Tetris
>>
File: dw3gbc_front.jpg (100KB, 503x500px) Image search: [Google]
dw3gbc_front.jpg
100KB, 503x500px
The Game Boy Color version of Dragon Quest III has one extra dungeon and some other extra goodies ON TOP of all of the enhancements of the Super Famicom remake.
>>
>>4035527
Because we don't want to play GB games in faded, ugly shit-green.
>>
>>4035527
...There are, dude.
>>
>>4036140
> ON TOP of all of the enhancements of the Super Famicom remake.
Except the amazing SNES music and graphics.
>>
>>4036140

Are the battles still animated?
>>
>>4035797
>he's right
>i'll say what he said in different words
>it will sound like i'm disagreeing
>my contrarian itch will be scratched
>>
>>4034946

It's not worth playing, outside of the novelty of a game named Daikatana that isn't terrible.
>>
>>4036157
Why not? It's more accurate to the real hardware. I'm not saying that you should be forced to, only that the option should be there.

>>4036179
Which ones? Even BGB's palettes don't match any hardware except for perhaps GBC.
>>
>>4032868
Which game is that?
>>
>>4036356
Yes. The enemy artwork has a gen2 Pokemon feel to it as well, so overall it has a pretty great aesthetic for a GBC RPG and I don't really understand the argument for the SNES version looking and sounding better. Maybe if you only measure by numbers, sure, but the SNES remake looks and sounds about as good as most average to mediocre SNES RPGs, while the GBC is easily one of the best examples of the genre in the entire GB library.

The only real drawback is the slightly smaller view scope, but that's only really a hindrance in a few of the larger dungeons. Also, the extra bonus dungeon is pretty lame and feels like an afterthought.
>>
File: 1473375479737.png (25KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
1473375479737.png
25KB, 256x224px
>>4037070
>but the SNES remake looks and sounds about as good as most average to mediocre SNES RPGs,
Are you sure?
>>4035985
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z41vcQERnQQ
It completely blows the GBC version out of the water when it comes to audiovisuals, and it is one of the finest on SFC, only matched by the likes of SD3.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.