[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have started playing some PS2 games and to my surprise I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault.jpg (194KB, 1918x1200px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
194KB, 1918x1200px
I have started playing some PS2 games and to my surprise I have found out people have translated Jap only games and even went as far as to remove the English dub and add back the Japanese track in a lot of classic jrpgs. So it got me wondering
>What is your take on undubs?
>>
>>4029310
Not retro.
>undubs
What the fuck is an "undubs"?
>>
it sounds incredibly edgy, people that bitch about dubs while also not understanding japanese are huge faggots
>>
It only appears to sound better because you can't understand how horrible the writing is.
>>
Asians should learn how to speak American like the rest of the world.
>>
>>4029315
>needs to hear everything in AMERICAIN-SAN voices
>>
It's like when a translator decides to retransmit a Vic Ireland translation rather than translating something new except not quite as edgy since it takes a lot less effort - the Japanese audio tracks are already recorded and everything after all.
>>
>>4029326
American dubs sound better, the women sound like real females rather than an pedophile squeaky moeblob.
>>
>>4029310
Not how greentexting works newfriend.
>>4029313
In the case of Shenmue, it would mean removing the English VO and restoring the Japanese one.
>>
>>4029334
>restoring
I don't think you understand what these words mean, champ.
>>
>>4029328
>American dubs sound better
If you enjoy amateur over-acting and an emotional range of "mild tone change", sure.
>>
>>4029342
>If you enjoy amateur over-acting
As opposed to PROFESSIONAL over-acting in the Jap dub?
>>
>>4029339
SM1 with Japanese voice acting came out almost a year before it did in the states with the english dub, buddy.
>>
Why the fuck are you fags so against it?
I just started Radiata stories with an undub and it's fucking great. The english dub kept breaking my immersion over how deadpan and emotionless the MC voice was. It went from feeling like you're playing a cartoon to being in a ghibli movie.
>>
>>4029359
If you like Jap voices so much why don't you learn Japanese, it's stupid easy.
>>
>>4029317
that's fucking dumb. If the writing was bad in Japanese, it would continue to be bad in English when translated.
7/10 times, the English translations are WORSE than the Japanese. I know enough Japanese to get this. Accurate translations are only a VERY VERY VERY recent thing.
In many cases, though, it's the fucking opposite.
English as a language lacks the subtleties and nuances (especially concerning wordplay and relationships) that Japanese does.

I'll give you a good example of a shitty English translation not capturing the subtlety of Japanese. It's from an anime called Spice and Wolf.

The main focus of the show is the character interactions between the male and female lead, their flirting with each other, and the dynamics between them.

The female calls the male "nushi", which is an archaic Japanese honorific that sort of translated to "thou" or "you" or "sir".

It can also be translated as "Master" or "Husband". The subtlety of this isn't lost on the male lead, and it's a great play on their flirtatious and complicated relationship. She even stops using that honorific during one section of a story arc, and the character is HURT by this.

This is NEVER mentioned in the English dub OR sub. It destroys this nuance of their relationship and ruins that setup and payoff.
>>
>>4029363
I dont like jap voices so much, I usually watch shit in their original language, because it's what feels right. Dubs are usually a butchering of the characters in the story no matter the medium. Growing up in a non english speaking country and having everything dubbed on TV fucking sucked.
>>
>>4029367
>it's what feels right.
if you don't understand the language what the fuck is the point. holy shit.
>>
>>4029367
Why are americans so opposed to learning new language? Too unpatriotic for you?
>>
>>4029357
Do you not understand the different release regions either? Seems not since all your posts display underage ignorance.
>>
>>4029363
>>4029369
Don't you understand the concept of subtitles or something? Are you so retarded that you watch foreign movies dubbed as well?
>>
>>4029369
because tonal inflections and emotions in voice are generally the same in EVERY language. As is deadpan, emotionless, robotic script reading that was par for the course in Japanese Translated games since forever.

Oh, and voice actors who can only do one character type, have zero range, and are so inflexible that they ruin any character who doesn't fit into their niche, but they keep getting work because they're one of only 2-3 "decent" english VAs.

You know who I mean.

Not every game can be Soul Reaver.
>>
>>4029369
I do understand the language to a degree and can tell when the VA is bad or not.

>>4029375
Can you read? I said i grew up in a non english speaking country. I can speak 5 languages fluently, can you?
>>
>Resident Evil and Castlevania SotN have horrible, stilted, emotionless voices
>get loved as campy classics
>Animu JRPGs do the same
>get hated as the second coming of Hitler
Explain this, weebs.
>>
>>4029378
I don't understand. Did you not like my use of "restore" since the japanese audio wasn't technically on an NTSC disc to begin with? I'm referring to the game as it was released in it's home country before all other versions.
>Seems not since all your posts display underage ignorance.
How so? This is only my third post ITT by the way.
>>
>>4029379
The advantage of subtitled media is that it retains the original language for everything and the subs are just a layer on top.
In games you often still have lots of non-voiced text that gets translated with no access to the original so you have no way to trust them or learn from them.
>>
>>4029395
>>4029317
>>4029378
>>4029339
Back to /v/ with you.
>>
>>4029389
>Resident Evil and Castlevania SotN have horrible, stilted, emotionless voices
>get loved as campy classics
>Animu JRPGs do the same
>get hated as the second coming of Hitler

I have a tank of 100% oxygen.
Sometimes in the morning, I'll breathe some of it to wake me up. It's better than a cup of coffee.

It also works wonders for headaches and makes me feel full of energy for hours.

If I sit there and breath that 100% oxygen for more than a minute or so, though, I can become seriously ill. I could go into convulsions, or my muscles could lock up for hours.

SoTN has some camp moments that act as punctuation marks on an otherwise great game. the story isn't terribly important.

It's different for RPGs. The dosage is too high.
>>
Jesus fucking christ /vr/ is a fucking shithole you have no rights to be hating on /v/ you're no fucking better, my god the autism in this thread.
>>
>>4029398
does /vr/ actually ban shitposters?
>>
>>4029389
Because the plot and writing in RE and CV is tertiary and only the most supreme autists care. JRPG writing is more important.
>>
>>4029326
I give absolute zero amount of fucks about what non native english speakers think about dubs. it's localized mainly for our audience. a lot of these games wouldn't even get imported to your shithole if they didn't have the american audience buying it.
>>
>>4029406
JD has been here for four years, ever since he declared he was gonna shitpost /vr/ into the ground. He's still around. You tell me.

>>4029404
>one thread of /a/ ranting about subtitles
>makes the entire board as bad as a board full of Farcry 5 shilling
You're a drama queen aren't you?
>>
>>4029398
You can't expect video game players to have any sort of critical view on fiction. Stories are just about LORE and shallow dichotomical judgments such as whether the MC was a gary stu or not.
>>
>>4029391
You're modifying.
>>4029398
>shitposting
>>
>>4029398
>this much autism
Children these days...
>>
>>4029419
Yes, it's a modification of the NTSC release, restoring the original voice acting. What was the point of this post?
>>
>>4029451
He's just a sad angry man.
>>
>>4029364
>English lacks double entendres
Sounds like you just suck at English
>>
>>4029451
>>4029479
>I don't understand a word
K. What you're doing is modifying. Not restoring anything.
>>
>>4029496
It's both.
>>
>>4029483
English lacks honorifics, and many language gags that Japanese uses.

Example:
FLCL's Blue/Mackerel gag was poorly translated to a robot/cyborg gag.

Excel saga was impossible to translate without copious amounts of translation notes (VH1 pop up video style). The manga needed the same treatment. It was called "the oubliette", and was several pages long per chapter.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is literally untranslatable for western release, and has caused several fan translators to give up in frustration, it is so dense with visual and language gags.

All of these are accepted as well written comedy shows.

Sounds like you're desperate to defend low quality trash translation by fanfiction tier hacks.
>>
>>4029612
>Excel saga was impossible to translate without copious amounts of translation notes (VH1 pop up video style). The manga needed the same treatment. It was called "the oubliette", and was several pages long per chapter.
I never got this. I tried watching Pani Poni Dash becuase it was Shaft and it looked cute and there's TL notes every 2 minutes literally filling the entire screen that you have to pause the video in order to read and completely explains and ruins the jokes. Who the fuck find this funny?
>>
>>4029612
By double entendre what you really meant to say was Kanji reading puns.
>>
File: darmok.jpg (42KB, 570x616px) Image search: [Google]
darmok.jpg
42KB, 570x616px
>>4029616
Japanese people who already know the jokes.
It's like having a random person try to decipher 4chan's humor. Try to explain Spurdo to your mother some time.

If you are anime nerd enough, you don't need the notes. You know the culture and references enough to "get" it.

Look at this shirt.
It's supposed to be funny.
Would it still be funny if you came from a country where TNG never aired?
>>
>>4029612
>>4029616
>Excel saga and Pani Poni Dash are bad becouse I have to read some TL nots
>this means the whole English language is bad

Weeab kids. You know American has a very hard time being translated too right? Tons of euphemisms and phrases.
>>4029632
>Would a TNG reference work
Maybe if you watched TNG you fucking idiot? How does that have to do with the country?
>>
File: 1460384006073.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1460384006073.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>4029632
Just a random anon passing through. I love how you're trying to make sense in this board and explaining things like you're explaining it to a kid, this is /vr/ after all, it's full of manchildren. Yet they still don't get it. Thanks for the laugh.
>>
>>4029649
>>this means the whole English language is bad
That's not what I said at all, mang.
>>
>>4029649
>>this means the whole English language is bad

No, it means that bad translators are bad, and rather than trying to creatively explain a joke, they'll rewrite it to something else, or remove it entirely.

Thus, the stories in many translated media are WORSE than the original Japanese.
They are frequently butchered due to poor translations, and lack of effort.

That english lacks some tools of other languages (and vice versa) does not make english a BAD language, but it doesn't help things either.

It probably doesn't help that you can't really follow a simple conversation like this on a Mongolian throat singing forum either.
>>
File: 1485908708635.jpg (42KB, 363x207px) Image search: [Google]
1485908708635.jpg
42KB, 363x207px
>>4029652
>>4029671
If only these translated animes had some annotation to explain what was lost in translation.
>>
>>4029675
cool, name 5 games that do that that aren't Stein's;Gate.
>>
>>4029675
There's a reason why official subs like CR don't do it anymore. It's obtrusive.
>>
>>4029680
I thought we were talking about anime here, kiddo. And don't even try to attempt to say you're not underage when you mention shit like "Spurdo". I had to google that shit to realize it was that brown cartoon cancer.

Why would a game need translation notes?
>>4029681
>don't do it anymore
>still watching anime
I mean if you like to watch extremely shit digitally drawn 3d blobs that's all you.
>>
>>4029685
>I mean if you like to watch extremely shit digitally drawn 3d blobs that's all you.
Gotta agree with that one, modern anime industry is completely soulless.
>>
File: 1491860549635.png (1MB, 720x721px) Image search: [Google]
1491860549635.png
1MB, 720x721px
>>4029685
He might be underage but you need to lurk more if you had to look up Spurdo.
>>
>>4029716
Just because I'm an oldfag doesn't mean I know the name of every cancer meme past 07. Why you know the name and are holding it above me is funny and sad.
>>4029693
Really a shame that 90s anime will never be topped.
>>
>>4029736
>I'm an oldfag
Fuck you. Self proclaimed guy who spent too much time posting epic memes on the internet.
>>
>>4029739
Just saying it as it is man. Having the knowledge of cancer memes to the point that you know their names isn't something to boast. I see that stupid shit and ignore it.
>>
>>4029745
Yet you go around self identifying as an old fag as if that's something to be proud of. Fag.
>>
>>4029747
I don't self identify as anything, champ. I'm just anonymous. You brought it up along with your social media shit.
>>
File: 1489349223400.png (62KB, 344x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1489349223400.png
62KB, 344x1600px
>>4029752
>>
>>4029754
Man fuck me for being on this site since at least 05. You got me kiddo! You'd probably be really upset if I told you when I first went to newgrounds too.
>>
>>4029758
>newgrounds
Maybe you should go back there and never return. "Kid".
>>
>>4029770
You say it like a bad thing, kiddo. Why's that?
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.