[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serious question to the users of /vr/, why the hate for rpgs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

File: 488px-DQIII_Laurel_Wreath_art.png (425KB, 488x441px) Image search: [Google]
488px-DQIII_Laurel_Wreath_art.png
425KB, 488x441px
Serious question to the users of /vr/, why the hate for rpgs?

As time haa went on I have noticed that rpgs, and especially jrpgs, seem to be look down upon by quite a lot of users here. I see quite a lot of users here scorn them, often saying they're the "lowest form" of game and other such things. I believe it may have to do with elitism of playing "hardcore" games here but I'm interested what you guys think. Has anyone noticed this on /vr/?
>>
It's just a few /v/ kids pushing a meme, ignore.
>>
If it's not just what >>4028914 said, then I'd guess it's probably due to the rise of RPG elements and narrative-driven gameplay in modern gaming. If someone has turned to retro gaming because they were sick of that stuff, then they would probably hate JRPGs more than anything.
>>
i like rpgs they're fun
>>
>>4028912
I've been here for almost a year and i'd say jrpgs are the most popular genre around here. DQs and Saga generals, the occasional FF thread, from time to time some CT shitposting, etc ...

What i really miss is more talk about crpgs (other than FO, BG), and jrpgs from sega/psx. Soon i will finish playing the games i was interested for the snes and i will need ideas for these consoles.
>>
Long RPGs (and even more so, VNs) are a genre for people with a lot of time to put into a game. People who are busy like to feel superior to people with a lot of time to pursue their hobbies so gamers in general get dumped on but then within the gaming community a defense is often something like "Well by gaming I'm building my skill in XXX" but conventional grind based JRPGs in particular take the least skill, kind of parallel to the modern "press A to win" games. So the rest of the subcommunities within the gaming community roll the shit they get from non - gamers right downhill to people who enjoy long-and-easy style games.

I really went through a JRPG period in my late teens/early 20s but I won't necessarily generalize that's when people have the most free time since it also lined up with the mid-to-late 90s when the western JRPG expansion really happened. I'll just go ahead and take personal credit for it though since apparently I'm such a huge egotist.
>>
>>4029039
The argument from "busy" people that don't have the time for long games always puzzles me. The game isn't going anywhere, what exactly is wrong with taking several months to complete a game? Why do 9-5rs want their video games like their fastfood?
>>
>>4028912
people play them and make a lot of threads about them (some of questionable quality, like the rydia thread)
>>
File: jrpg tier.png (73KB, 1164x805px) Image search: [Google]
jrpg tier.png
73KB, 1164x805px
>>4028912
>As time haa went on I have noticed that rpgs, and especially jrpgs, seem to be look down upon by quite a lot of users here.
Angry fans of outdated non-Japanese RPGs, which got completely dwarfed in terms of quality and popularity by JRPGs.
>>
>>4029057
Why does DQ get a free pass almost everywhere despite being very derivative?
>>
>>4028985
For Sega the only things it has really are the Phantasy Star series, the Shining Force series, the LandStalker series, and the Panzer Dragoon series.

On the ps1 you have a lot of options so I'll just suggest some favorites. Breath of Fire III and IV, Suikoden 1 and 2, and Dragon Quest VII (has a remake on the 3ds) are the best jrpgs on the system.
>>
>>4029057
>good
>grandia
>bof
>grate
>mana
Wat
>>
>>4029057
>mother and DQ in different tier despite playing nearly the exact same
Every time.
>>4029069
Buddy, are shit talking BoF or saying it should be higher? Because if you're shit talking I think I need an explanation.
>>
File: KC.png (11KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
KC.png
11KB, 320x224px
>>4028912
Arcadefags, console warriors and shitposters.

>>4029068
>For Sega the only things it has really are the Phantasy Star series, the Shining Force series, the LandStalker series, and the Panzer Dragoon series.
Don't forget King Colossus on Mega Drive. It's a very underrated Sega RPG.
>>
>>4029052
Well I'm not really trying to be critical of anyone but I think that rat racers often are missing out on a real feeling of accomplishment from their work and those of them that go for gaming as a source of that feeling want games that give it pretty quickly and as a reward for whatever skill they have and are already proud of.
>>
>>4029052
Yeah it always sounds strange to me too.
Like they have some kind of quota of titles they have to play per year.
And the way they say it often implies that if they had more free time per day they'd spend it playing tedious boring games, which is also strange.
>>
>>4029083
Looks like Ys
>>
>>4029079
which mother has class system/monster taming/skill trees?
>>
>>4028912
they're bad
>>
>>4029113
Which DQ has rhythm comboing and the odometer style health?

Listen, I love both series but gameplay wise they're basically the same. Mother was made as a DQ clone but actually tried to have real quality, that probably is why they're so good. In the end Mother is just about the same thing gameplay wise.
>>
File: dq5.jpg (192KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
dq5.jpg
192KB, 1024x768px
What's your favorite RPG, /vr/?
Mine is Dragon Quest V.
There's practically nothing bad with it.
>>
File: 67-074.png (25KB, 480x446px) Image search: [Google]
67-074.png
25KB, 480x446px
>>4029202
my favorite DQ is 3, my favorite RPG overall is FF5.
>>
>>4029039
I'm training my language skills by playing RPGs (and adventures).
>>
>>4029202
Great choice. DQV, the original sfc version, was my first DQ. I downloaded a fan translation and kind of started it up not sure what to expect and it blew me away. I finished in about two days, I was absolutely hooked.

My favorite rpg is a tough question. I mother 3 is overall not just my favorite rpg but even my favorite videogame ever made. Though it's not retro so I won't discuss it much.

I love all kinds of rpgs though, I try to balance out my time with both Western and Eastern rpgs. For the west I would say the original Fallout is my favorite. The world is interesting and I love the skill system. For jrpgs I say either Breath of Fire IV or Dragon Quest VII. Breath of Fire IV I only played this year and it amazed me. The gameplay was fun, the art was phenomenal, and the story really interrsted me. Dragon Quest VII has, what I feel, the perfect sense of adventure and the class system is fun to use.
>>
>>4029219
Fair enough if you're playing them in a second language. Easier to stay motivated on than reading novels, harder to just gloss over than watching movies.
>>
>>4029216
Great Taste
>>
>>4029060
>>4029069

It's a joke list. Look at it more closely.
>>
>>4028912
We're all old here. Old enough to have experienced better written/told stories in different mediums, and busy enough to not have hours a day to sink into games.

Nothing wrong with liking jrpg's, but unless they have a REALLY interesting battle system they probably aren't gonna do much for people with (and I mean this in the least pretentious way possible) better taste in storytelling
>>
File: 1492792774232.jpg (41KB, 1033x679px) Image search: [Google]
1492792774232.jpg
41KB, 1033x679px
>>4029083
>Don't forget King Colossus on Mega Drive. It's a very underrated Sega RPG.
>someone else on /vr/ played this
>someone else on /vr/ liked this
I fucking loved SegaTropics: the RPG spinoff.
>>
>>4029057
I have problems with this, but only because I love a lot of the "good" listed stuff, and why the hell is Phantasy Star pleb?
>>
>>4029052

>The game isn't going anywhere, what exactly is wrong with taking several months to complete a game?

When you get older you tend to have less patience to invest in long term things like that. I could've liked spending months on a game back in high school, but now in my 30s I don't have the energy to stick with something that long term. I think I learned over the years to increasingly appreciate the satisfaction of dropping tasks I don't need from my to do list. Basically the feeling of slightly increased free time due to no longer having an incomplete task to think about often outweighs the feeling of satisfaction from continuing to work on a task.
>>
>>4029202
I can't say that DQ5 is flawless. There are no interesting ways you can influence character development, and the monster recruitment being based on random chance is pretty bad.
>>
>>4028912
I rarely see people bashing RPG's on /vr/. The ones who do are probably from another board.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.