[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is it some Sega titles made it to non-Sega consoles way before

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: $_35.jpg (21KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
21KB, 300x225px
How is it some Sega titles made it to non-Sega consoles way before Sega went third party?
>>
Computer is not a console
Almost everyone licensed to computers back then
>>
File: s-l225.jpg (11KB, 225x192px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
11KB, 225x192px
>>4025907
>>
Beats me. Sometimes you had weird situations like Sega owned exclusivity to the wonderboy CHARACTER but the game was getting ported everywhere just replacing the main character.
>>
File: s-l225.jpg (8KB, 225x168px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
8KB, 225x168px
>>4025907
Even if you don't count Tengen as "legal" there's also Sunsoft's Famicom version.
>>
>>4025915
>>4025918
Ok I didn't remember any examples, why not choose more relevant op pic then.
Tengen is 100% legit.
>>
The way I see it home console Sega was a different entity from Arcade manufacturer Sega.

Source: My hairy weeb ass.
>>
My guess is that considering their hardware wasn't doing so well at the time in either Japan or the USA, they were taking every opportunity they could to bring in an extra buck or two. Their arcade games were a hot commodity back then, so it made sense from a financial standpoint. Along with the NES though, their games were also ported a wide array of computer platforms, like the Commodore 64, Amiga, IBM-PC compatibles, etc. And of course, there were the PC Engine ports mostly developed in-house by NEC (and man, were they good! Their version of Afterburner II is one of my favorites).
>>
>>4025898
Sega was first and foremost an arcade company, so they handed out loads of licenses to bring those games home, and Sega was fine with home computer licencing for years.
the ones that confuse me more than any other are the PC-Engine ports, which showcased the PCE as being loads better than the Master System

the fact that the PC Engine got a port of Power Drift but not the Genesis is extra baffling, as is the fact that Sega themselves barely did any of their own home ports for a while with the Genesis
>>
File: MarioBros.jpg (552KB, 800x1095px) Image search: [Google]
MarioBros.jpg
552KB, 800x1095px
>>4025898

How is it some Nintendo titles made it to non-Nintendo consoles way before Nintendo went third party?
>>
>>4026207
>released in 1983
That was before the North American release of the NES in 1985 though.
>>
File: Mario Bros Cartridge.jpg (40KB, 400x489px) Image search: [Google]
Mario Bros Cartridge.jpg
40KB, 400x489px
>>4026219

7800 version came out in 1988
>>
>>4026278
Atari still had the license to make their own ports.
>>
>>4025898
Publishers wanted to publish sega games for their platforms and offered a lot of money and sega took it.
>>
>>4025978
>power drift

Just as well, many games they ported to the Genesis then failed to get Saturn ports. Which is really unfortunate because the Genesis is not a platform for games with scaling graphics. Outrunners, Turbo Outrun...At least Power Drift got an awesome Saturn release.

On the subject in general, I never knew Alien Syndrome was a Sega game until recently. I played it on NES with a friend back in the late 90s when we were going through a pile of old games, and it stood out as pretty fun co-op action.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.