[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do you prefer to shop for your retro games? I hate online

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: Good Condition Games.jpg (83KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Good Condition Games.jpg
83KB, 1024x768px
Where do you prefer to shop for your retro games?

I hate online shopping for used games (I hate buying used in general, but new isn't really an option for most old games anymore) because you never know what condition the games are going to be in when they arrive. There are a few local shops that I could visit, but the prices seem unreasonably high for their retro titles, and they're the kind of shop that puts price tag stickers on the cartridges.

What's the best option? What do you use?
>>
>>4024164
I use eBay, since I don't like "hunting" and if I want something specific, I'm not going to waste my time looking for it, and just buy it.

I don't buy many games anymore. It's not worth the expense and I'm at a point where I feel like I've capped out.
>>
>>4024164
Thrift stores, pawn shops, garage and yard sales, ebay, amazon sometimes, craigslist sometimes and emuparadise.
>>
>>4024164
I get stuff almost exclusively at fleamarkets. I don't go there looking for just games so even if I don't find any I don't come away empty handed. It's not necessarily the "best" option but if you're patient and persistent you can rack up a good collection for pennies on the dollar compared to ebay.
>>
There's a nice shop about an hour from me that usually has prices on-par with eBay, plus a good selection and a Neo-Geo MVS at the front door, so that's where I go the vast majority of the time.

Flea markets, garage sales, and thrift stores are worth checking out for sure, though. Half the time all you find is a few hundred copies of NHL 94, but the occasional score makes it worth it.
>>
>>4024164
ebay, various retro game sites, 'fleamarket' groups on facebook, couple general auction websites

I haven't seen 'retro' stuff in an actual physical store in over ten years, so it's all online for me. When I want something I start to lurk around the usual spots to see if anyone's selling it under the ridiculous "buy it now" prices
>>
>>4024164
I use to goto pawnshops but then they started having ebay prices so its pointless now.
>>
Given the height of the prices of retro/any video games, especially in Australia, and divvying my time between Uni, work and my attempt at a social life, I'm happily resigned to occasional thrift store hunting.
Pic related, those are standard prices in my area.
>>
In your situation your better off sticking to ebay or buying a everdrive cart.
>>
I prefer retro stores that specifically sell the carts.
It is easier to judge the condition of the cart in person.

I have had really bad experience with online sellers, on one than more occasion got some carts that were in worse condition than pictured, and/or were roach motels, or were clearly repros and were not labeled as repros on the purchase site.
(all repros are counterfeits btw)
>>
>>4024164
>(I hate buying used in general, but new isn't really an option for most old games anymore
You are exactly the kind of person who thinks repros are great.
>>
>>4026670
Wew lad. Australia seems like a shit hole. Everything's expensive, no guns, and abos.
>>
>>4028126
OP here.

I'm not sure what gave you that idea, but no, I don't like repo carts and I don't see the point of them. If I'm going to play a pirated version of a game, I might as well just use an emulator.

I just don't like used games. You never know where they came from
>>
>>4028230
>I might as well just use an emulator.
As usual gramps is wrong. You are exactly the kind of person who is just fucking retarded.
>>
>>4024180
This. Plus, I tend to find the best prices on ebay, as long as I'm patient. Every other outlet for resellers is well aware of the retro game hype and is pricing their shit accordingly. You're best off sniping an ebay auction or whatever. Good deals. Craigslist is garbage, now.
>>
File: retard reg.jpg (21KB, 211x244px) Image search: [Google]
retard reg.jpg
21KB, 211x244px
>>4028418
>You're wrong, retard

What an excellent, convincing, and well thought out argument. You have definitely given me a lot to consider when reevaluating my stance on repo carts and emulation.

Thank you for your reply.
>>
>>4028737
Thanks. Glad you've seen the error of your ways. Go forth and shitpost no more.
>>
>>4028126

Repros are great. I don't give a fuck about others profiting off the communities free work. I'm just glad I can have Terranigma and Seiken Densetsu 3 as standalone cartridges that are usable on my SNES.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.