[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some games that were originally another game entirely,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

File: final-fantasy-legend-the-usa.png (403KB, 500x503px) Image search: [Google]
final-fantasy-legend-the-usa.png
403KB, 500x503px
What are some games that were originally another game entirely, but were re-worked into a more popular series for Western release?
>>
Mario Bros
>>
While it was called Final Fantasy Legend in its western releases for obvious reasons so it could sell off the popularity of Final Fantasy 1, in Japan it was known under the title Doki Doki Panic.
>>
File: yokaibr_sfc.jpg (42KB, 245x445px) Image search: [Google]
yokaibr_sfc.jpg
42KB, 245x445px
This game got reskinned as a Jetsons game for the west.
>>
Panel de Pon (Tetris Attack) and Puyo Puyo (Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Kirby's Avalanche/Ghost Trap).
>>
FF VIII was originally a story about the anxieties of school, featuring dreams held by Squall where he had to fight monsters during exams, until they imported it to the west. It was originally called School Panic Episode Hiro Shama.
>>
File: street-combat-SNES.png (93KB, 1318x650px) Image search: [Google]
street-combat-SNES.png
93KB, 1318x650px
Pretty much the inverse for Street Combat on SNES
>>
>>4021951
wut

Doki Doki Panic was the game that became Super Mario Bros 2. Seiken Densetsu was renamed The Final Fantasy Legend in the west.
>>
File: C0lWfajVIAA499P[1].jpg (36KB, 520x239px) Image search: [Google]
C0lWfajVIAA499P[1].jpg
36KB, 520x239px
>>4022021
>tfw you're so regional a celebrity you get replaced by a mecarobot
>>
>>4022030
No you're thinking of Lost Levels and Adventure of Mana
>>
DID YOU KNOW
>>
>>4022021
>tfw i get 2 games a year and one of em was this fucking piece of fucking trash
>>
>>4022030
Lurk more.
>>
>>4021950
Did you know..?
>>
>>4022041
what the hell
>Probotector's retirement
>>
>>4021946
This reminds me. How is The Final Fantasy Legend 3? I'm interested in checking out more GB games, and it looks pretty cool and unique. I enjoyed the first one, but didn't exactly love it. Is 3 a considerable step up?
>>
File: 1ba[1].jpg (112KB, 710x431px) Image search: [Google]
1ba[1].jpg
112KB, 710x431px
>>4022176
We really did a number on Germany after The Big One
>>
>>4022207
3 follows more traditional JRPG form so if all the mutating was your problem with 1 you'll like 3 better.
>>
>>4022222
>>
>>4022221
Hmm. That's good to know, thanks. I was actually kind of hoping it would be even weirder, since I love how messed up and freeform the series became later on.
>>
File: 1454156633800.png (190KB, 411x371px) Image search: [Google]
1454156633800.png
190KB, 411x371px
>>4021954
>This game got reskinned as a Jetsons game for the west.
Other way around, it began as a Jetsons game believe it or not.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
>>4022207
3 is good, and was my first exposure to the FFLegends/SaGa series.
Kinda spoiled me actually, because it's nothing like the rest of the SaGa series and so there are few other games I can go to for a similar playstyle and mechanics.
Might just be nostalgia speaking, but I loved so much about it as a kid. The time loop story, the way characters could swing along the sliding scale of machine/monster, the Talon, things like the float magic and the little nods to lovecraft. Was one of the first rpg's I had for my gameboy along with Revelations: The Demon Slayer.

Speaking of, Revelations: The Demon Slayer was kinda the inverse effect, given that the SMT series wasn't big in America yet so it got branded as it's own thing instead of part of that.
>>
>>4022260
I like 3 too. It's one of the few games where magic + scifi is done right.
>>
>>4022260
I appreciate the info, thank you very much. I think I'll go ahead and just buy it tomorrow, since it's my last day in the states, and I won't be able to find english GB games any more after that.
>>
>>4022030
Jesus Christ, just lurk forever.
>>
>>4022297
I think you might be pretty dense, anon
>>
File: 41231.jpg (27KB, 225x244px) Image search: [Google]
41231.jpg
27KB, 225x244px
>>4022301
I'm just very drunk, but even in this state you can't refute the huge reddit influx into /vr/ over the last few years.
>>
>>4022312
Not sure, this is actually my first time back in a few years. I usually would hang around in PC98 and Umihara Kawase threads but I don't see them very often anymore.
>>
>>4022312

Reddit has nothing to do with whether an old meme stays relevant.
>>
>>4022021
Same with Shatterhand, it was a Metal Heroes game
>>
>>4021946
They literally just changed the name for marketing purposes, m8. There was no "reworking" involved.
>>
On Kunio-kun GB beat em up was turned into Double Dragon 2. I always thought that was funny.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.