[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does that retro game store near you have your favorite game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

Does that retro game store near you have your favorite game on sale /vr/?
>>
>>4021714
No, I bought it and now all they have is shitty sports games, unless you wanna pay $50 for a copy of Pokemon Blue with half the label missing.
>>
said store doesn't exist
>>
>>4021714
I wouldn't know. I have a retro game store walking distance to me but the guys who run it are such elitist and provide the worst service I have ever experienced that I refuse to go in there. Instead I choose to only buy from the stores that are like an hour away but actually will acknowledge my existence if I ask a question.
>>
There hasn't been a retro game store near me in over 20 years.
>>
>>4021714
It has a playable Neo Geo cabinet with a 200-in-one cartridge.

When you play Metal Slug on it you start with a thundercloud and when you shoot the shotgun a ghost of marco floats on top of the player and shoots a pistol.
>>
>>4021718

Nope. I work at one, though, and I have to say that retro hunters are the worst fucking people to put up with.
>>
No. I'm an Ocarina of Time fag too.
>>
>retro store
The closest I have is a general electronics store that has a lot of vidya on sale and on the display. They mostly sell new stuff though, oldest thing they carry is 3DS I think.
It's run by japanese people, so I figured they'd know a thing or two, I once went there in search of an AC Cable for my Super Famicom. When they looked at it, I was expecting them to go "wooow a super famicom!" but they just looked at it stranged and looked at the sticker on the bottom that says 1990, they were like "this nintendo is ancient, must be super expensive" (it really wasn't).
>>
No idea. Used to love going to FuncoLand (and even into the GameStop years) and GameXChange back in the day, but anymore I'd imagine that it'd be a waste of time. I think the last local purchase of an old game was PlayStation DOOM from a Movie Trading Company, but I think even that would've been a few years back at this point. Dropped in on maybe 2 or 3 others in somewhat recent years, but I really don't have any motivation to return.

Anyone have some recent local old game shop stories? A bit interested in hearing what the atmosphere is like - clientele, staff, etc

Or hell, even old ones?
>>
They did a few months ago. Someone traded in Digimon World 1 and they sold it for 40 bucks.
>>
>>4021802
Guy from >>4021728

The store by me is such shit that I stopped going there. Their layout is the weirdest shit. Basically the keep all their cartridge games on these kind of double sided shelves. The thing though is they only putbthe shovelware on these shelves. By there is a glass cabinet with their rare and portable console games. So then where do they keep their decent stuff then? Behind the fucking front register. So if you're looking for something moderately valuable you have to go up to the front register and ask the asshole behind it if they have what you want. Worse is they are scummy as fuck, doing shit like no returns (they'll "fix" anything you have a problem with") and charging absurd prices for shitty repo carts. Not only this but they have the worst staff I have ever encountered. These are your sterotypical ponytail neckbeards in their 30's-40's. Often they would just flat out ignore me to finish whatever they're doing, which is cleaning game boards and the like. The worst thing I remember is asking a guy if they had a game and him literally replying "I don't think so." I then asked him if he could at least check and then he just said "I don't think we have it." and went back to what he was doing. The store is about 5 min from my house but I basically refuse to set foot in there. I would rather call a place an hour away, ask if they have something I'm looking for, and drive an hour to a store where the staff aren't so far up their own assholes then go deal with those fucks again.
>>
>>4021714
Why would I care or even know? Why would anyone for that matter?
>>
File: you too.png (2MB, 1366x661px) Image search: [Google]
you too.png
2MB, 1366x661px
this is why i avoid people
>>
The nearest and only retro game store near me is actually a used book store...and it's overpriced as fuck. All cartridge games are behind a glass shelf several aisles from the register, without a price tag, so you gotta hunt down an employee, talk them into opening the cabinet, taking it to the register, and only then you can realize "there is no fucking way I'm paying $45 for Mario 64".

Luckily for me, they still think gen 6 games aren't worth shit, so they're still worth visiting for that. Apparently the price appraisal is done by whoever is the manager on duty, so you'll get situations where one copy is 16 dollars and the other is 24 dollars. Just gotta hope the game you want was traded in when the jew wasn't working.
>>
>>4021887

Real life Comic Book Guy, ha. I really should go to some shops in my area just to see what they're like. My brief time in a Play-N-Trade (now closed or moved) and some shop in the mall (...which might've closed as well?) weren't enough to really get the full experience. I don't really buy much in the way of old US retail games and I doubt I'll find many imports here in Texas, but I'm a bit curious to witness the types of people who shop at retro game shops given the apparently fad-ish nature of game collecting.
>>
>>4021980
That guy again. Honestly in my experience I notice most other people in these stores are either pretty okay or sometimes I'll see some normalfags reminiscing about OoT or some other popular game, both are okay. Staff at every other place I've been to was friendly and helpful, saying hello when I entered, answering a question if I ask something, and even talking to me about the game I bought. Most of these people are just regular people looking to buy an old game they actually intend to play. I just posted that story since it was such an absurd experience. Real life Comic Book Guys do definitely exist but they're not the norm.
>>
File: IMG_1404.jpg (212KB, 748x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1404.jpg
212KB, 748x960px
sure do
>>
Oh shit OP are you a fellow Long Island person?
Do you know other stores outside of Revolution and Game On?
>>
>>4022117
Where's revolution?

I'm in the western part of LI
>>
>>4022134
Revolution is in Stony Brook
>>
>>4022146
Haven't heard of them till now, they buy used games?
>>
>>4021802
My local retro game store is actually run by a good friend of mine and his brother. Good selection and a lot of rare shit but understandably kinda drops off a little when it comes to rarer consoles.
There's a couple others in my state, the only bad experience I've had was in a store that had some cool stuff, but the guy who presumably owned it was really lazy and had a bored/dismissive kind of attitude and some of the games/peripherals were way overpriced.
>>
>>4021887
>>4021728
i have a game shop about 20 mins from me and its a roll of the dice on who is working there. i either get the woman that owns it and shes fine but kinda disinterested but i dont care im just in to find some games and she'll sometimes give me deals or help me find something. or i get like what your situation is and get the dude that works there that comes off as a socially inept autist that will sometimes go elitist. I get annoyed when i see him there and just wanna leave instead of deal with him.
>>
>>4022005
what this guy said. for the most part people in these shops are ok. ive ran into my share of neckbeards while trying to just shop but most are normal people. theres one guy at a shop i go to about 30 mins from me that shares a common interest in games as me and we chit chat. we talked about how much we both loved Resident evil 4 and thought OoT is kinda over rated. just chit chat like that.
>>
File: 1495816021993.jpg (55KB, 379x418px) Image search: [Google]
1495816021993.jpg
55KB, 379x418px
Snagged Taito Legends Volume 1 and 2 and two Guncons with Time Crisis 3 for $50 total.

Bargins all around
>>
The one I liked closed, the other one has a scalper price on Einhander disc only.
>>
>>4022146
Another long island guy here and I live about10 minute drive from game on.
>>
>>4022146
I went to revolution when it opened and it was okay. but the guy showed me the tattoo he has of his own custom light saber and I was uncomfortable
>>
I haven't seen a retro game store in my life
>>
>>4022134
>>4022146
>>4022619
/vr/ meetup when?
>>
>>4021775
I run my own as well, and the hardcore collectors are the worst. They're the people that bawk, moan, and complain about prices, ask for unwarranted discounts, and always want more than I'd sell things for when they try to sell stuff to me. I go out of my way to price things decently below what they go for online because I believe I have to try and compete with online shopping, not match it. Why would someone put on pants and leave the house and come to my store if they can get what they want for the same price online?

There's no satisfying them. I can have a game on the shelf for 60% less than ebay, and some ass hole "collector" will come in and moan that I'm "trying to rip people off". I genuinely love this stuff and I take customer service so seriously. I am NOT in the business of ripping people off, it makes me so mad.

it's not all retro enthusiasts, there a ton of regulars who appreciate what I do and are always buying and selling stuff at my store. But the self titles "retro enthusiasts" are my least favourite customers.
>>
>>4021714
Local shop is decent, but for anything Nintendo its better shopping online
He always prices stuff 20$ more than ebay
>>
>>4021714
Local shops here are okay. There's a couple but the prices are always equal to eBay, which makes me just shop eBay instead. The folks there are okay, but they're more into music than games.
>>
I have had good experiences at game stores, the guy working there even complemented my taste in games when trading stuff in or buying stuff. Here in Edmonton AB, there is a whole chain of retro stores called game city like 5 in the city alone, there is another dumpy little independent one where the staff are kind of douche but a lot of the games are cheap, and then another called just for fun which is rip off city.
>>
>>4022971
they're probably re-sellers looking to get cheap stuff so they can sell it on ebay for more money
>>
>>4022117
>>4022134
I used to live in LI but I recently moved. This place called Video Game Trading Post is the best. It's run by a couple of guys who really know what they're doing, but they aren't those elitist types. They're patient and helpful even if you're not sure what you're looking for. They've got reasonable prices (IIRC, They sell pokemon red/blue carts for $20, and I bought a copy of red that had no label for either $10 or $15.) They'll even let you play the games before you buy them right there in the store. I love the place and it really sucks that I had to leave it behind :/
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.