[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on this series? Looks interesting but I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 12

File: panzerdragoon.jpg (36KB, 250x285px) Image search: [Google]
panzerdragoon.jpg
36KB, 250x285px
Thoughts on this series? Looks interesting but I've never played them.
>>
File: 1492037084073.png (73KB, 336x313px) Image search: [Google]
1492037084073.png
73KB, 336x313px
Exceptional aesthetic.
2 is a good on rails shooter, never finished 1 so I can't speak.
3 is kinda easy but very charming.
And I lost my original copy years ago while moving house.
>>
>>4020624
Why didn't they use the Moebius cover in Europe?
>>
>>4020640
because they had to show off the 3d i guess. pretty sad especially in france but the 3d is the main reason people bought this game
>>
>>4020637
>Exceptional aesthetic
This ^^^

The art direction is God tier and by far my favorite of any game.
>>
OP here, decided to start playing 1. Thoroughly enjoying it even if I am pretty crap at it. Controls are kind of awkward though but really loving it.
>>
PD1 is good but not great, the first level is probably the best part of the whole game.
PDII however got more interesting levels, alternate routes, a dragon evolution system and more spectacular and interesting boss fights than the first game. Also the berserk attack.
In terms of art direction, maybe II doesn't have anything as memorable as the first level of PD1, but overall it's more variated and interesting.

Maybe my only complaint with this games is that dodging attacks is a bit random at times, the dragon is so big that's not too intuitive when maneuvering, maybe that's deliberate because the dragon should feel big and heavy (although agile in air too), I still had no problem getting a fully evolved dragon on the hardest route of PDII, but sometimes it can be bothersome.
I love being able to rotate in 360. One of the coolest things about PD in terms of mechanics, which was later reused on Rez.
>>
>>4021472
PD2 is technically better (better graphics, smoother framerate, etc), and has way better game balance and presentation. But PD1 feels better as an arcade game. Zwei is more cinematic.

Also, PD2 has a way more fun final boss, especially if you get one of the two hidden classes that can fire 12 lasers.
>>
File: 320px-AnalogPad.jpg (18KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
320px-AnalogPad.jpg
18KB, 320x240px
>>4020824
guess you dont have a 3D controller? i find it controls better with it.
>>
Rez > PD2 > PD3 > PD1
>>
>>4021501
PD1 isn't that bad
>>
>>4021489
I've been using a 360 controller. It works well with the PS2 version of PD
>>
>>4022276
I have the PS2 Segagaes version of PD1. Sadly it's not that good, is it? I found the controls to be weird. I only played using the ps2 controller though but I remember reading the ps2 port has control problems anyway, the game itself. Same thing happened with the PS2 version of Nights into dreams, which I also own...
>>
>>4022547
It's exactly the same but with higher graphical fidelity. The controls are weird but you get used to it.
>>
>>4022553
When I played it, I had the impression that it didn't control as good as the original Saturn version, maybe it was because of the ps2 controller.
The Nights port does have control issues though, so I thought maybe PD1 did as well, maybe not, not sure. I will replay it one of these days, never unlocked the director commentary.
>>
How do I play Orta if I live in Australia?
>>
>>4022702
buy a OG box so that you can also play gunvalkyrie, metal wolf chaos and breakdown
>>
saga tho
>>
>>4022717
Do the OG Xboxes have region lock? Never owned one
>>
>>4022730
pretty sure they do. if youre lucky you can find a modded box on ebay for cheap, got one here for 50€ last spring
>>
Finished 1, it was pretty rad. Started Zwei and I love it, one thing I like about this series is the short but fantastic levels.
>>
File: 250px-PanzerDragoonMiniJPcover.jpg (26KB, 250x349px) Image search: [Google]
250px-PanzerDragoonMiniJPcover.jpg
26KB, 250x349px
>>4020624
Of the first 2 games I've played, I like Zwei more because it looks better and feels much better paced. Also anyone on /vr/ ever play the Game Gear PD? How is it?
>>
>>4023097
Zwei is definitely better in every aspect, but the first one still has a lot of character and charm that is just quality. That stupid fucking fish from Zwei can go fuck itself though
>>
>>4022730
Yes the original xbox is region locked.
>>
>>4023131
So unless I buy an NTSC xbox I can't play Orta?
>>
>>4023137
just pirate that shit my niqqa
>>
>>4023137
With a hard/softmodded(it's up to you) xbox you can launch xbox games in whatever display mpde or region you want Even jap exclusive titles can be set to run PAL60 no problem not to mention the convenient way of launching games straight of the HDD.
>>
I have a saturn, ps2, and an xbox (all modded). How should I play these games?
>>
>>4023137
try to get a modded xbox on ebay or buy a used one and softmod it yourself. It's pretty easy but you need to buy a few things like one of the compatible games, a USB adaptor for the controller port (which can also be made), and a compatible USB stick.

Then you can play out of region games.
>>
>>4023621
PD1 and 2 on Saturn, Orta on xboz.
The PS2 port of PD1 has upgraded graphics, but I felt the controls weren't as good, I only tried with a ps2 controller though. Also it's missing some effects like the water ripples on the first level. If your ps2 is chipped you can try it, it also has a pandora box option like in PDII, but I just looked and for some reason the price of PD on PS2 went up a lot, people selling it for 70 bucks or more, I got that for less than 15 bucks years ago, and was disappointed. It wasn't made by Sega themselves anyway, it was outsourced to a chinese studio. It's a nice curiosity, but you're fine playing the original Saturn version, and you'll want to play on Saturn anyway because of Zwei.
>>
>>4023629
orta is one of the backwards compatible games for 360, dont need an xbox.
>>
>>4023635
Thanks for the input!

I don't buy games so price isn't an issue. I'll probably play through the Saturn ones and then check out the PS2 one as I like the low poly aesthetic a bit more.

How is the port of the original PD on Orta? It is unlockable according to the Wiki
>>
PD soundtracks ranking
Azel>Orta>PD1>Zwei

>implying this isn't the correct order
>>
>>4020624
1 is solid as hell, if not supremely amazing. Graphics are pretty solid for an early Saturn title, too. PS2 port looks like ass (loads of screwups in Saturn mode although you mightn't notice if you've not played the Saturn version, it's a bit blurry and the models look weird in the default, remastered mode), but still plays okay enough.
2 is amazing. Go play Zwei right fucking now.
never played Saga or Orta

also, there's a PS1 game called Gamera 2000 that's supposed to play just like another Panzer Dragoon, although I haven't played it yet

>>4021501
Rez takes until the last stage to become as much fun as Panzer Dragoon. It's a cool game, but definitely weaker.
>>
>>4023670
>mfw this comes up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V7CKKJ5J28
>>
>>4023706
Just finished 1 last night and it was great. Currently on episode 5 in Zwei and really loving it, that berserk attack was sorely needed
>>
For the life of me I cannot get past episode 5 in Zwei
>>
>>4024449
Don't use the homing laser, the small boss at the beginning of the stage and the boss of the stage have a shield against those, use your normal shots, for the enemies that do formations you can use the laser.
>>
>>4024487
Thanks very much anon
>>
>>4023729
haven't played PD yet, but i've listened to the remastered OST after that retronauts mini episode dedicated to recent vinyl releases and it's amazing.
>>
>>4020624
1 is cool. 2 is better. Orta is arguably the best.
>>
How can I play older episodes in Zwei?
>>
Finished Zwei after I cheated and made my dragon OP and gave myself loads of health. and really loved it too. The art direction is utterly fantastic
>>
>tfw US copies of PD1 and 2 are $50+
Fuck everything. Guess I need to import.
>>
File: 1492522864905.jpg (36KB, 630x551px) Image search: [Google]
1492522864905.jpg
36KB, 630x551px
Panzer Dragoon is easily the best series on the Saturn, and perhaps one of the best first party titles from SEGA.

The first game is amazing, for a Saturn launch title at least. Zwei is better than the first game in every sense. Saga is one of the best RPGs from Gen 5 and plays like no other RPG made since then.

Orta is good too, mechanically-wise it's the best out of all of them, and I found it to be the most difficult one of them all.

Every day I wake up and remember SEGA will never make another Panzer Dragoon and that rail shooters are dead and I feel like killing myself.
>>
>>4025106
>Rail shooters are dead
I only just realised I liked these games through playing PD over the last few nights, are rail shooters really dead?
>>
>>4025106
>rail shooters are dead
that means that there's a gaping hole in the market, so go make a rail shooter!
honestly, I kind of want to do exactly that, but I've been too lazy to finish my other game projects and don't want to start yet another that will go nowhere
>>
File: 25332047_p0.png (234KB, 422x479px) Image search: [Google]
25332047_p0.png
234KB, 422x479px
>>4025106
>best first party titles from SEGA
>Orta is good too
>>
>>4025135
Is Nights any good if I don't really like sonic?
>>
>>4025137
It has nothing to do with Sonic so. It's a perfect arcade style game.
>>
>>4025153
Cool, I'll play it tonight. and I could've sworn Nights was part of the whole Sonic franchise
>>
>>4025158
Sonic is a hidden character. Doesn't do much though.
>>
>>4025112
The last attempt at a Rail Shooter was Star Fox Zero. Draw your own conclusions.
>>
>>4025193
Good lord
What are some classics of the genre?
>>
>>4025204
Star Fox and Panzer Dragoon are the best titles within the genre, although some obscure titles exist.
>>
>>4025204
>>4025214
SIN
AND
PUNISHMENT
>>
>>4025234
>>4025214
Thanks, I'll check those out. I started Nights a few minutes ago but it was like being thrown into a kaleidoscope, but I could dig it.
>>
File: IMG_0767.jpg (3MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0767.jpg
3MB, 2048x1536px
>>4025158
It was made by Yuji Naka, sonic's creator in an attempt to make something different. It satisfies that high speed thrill of sonic games but plays nothing like it. NiGHTS is easily one of my favorite games, if you're into speedrun-esque challenges then A-Ranking every stage will be an absolute blast. That's definitely where the fun lies for me.
>>
>>4025246
I tried playing Clarisas I think stage, but could not understand. From what I can get you gather the black orbs to destroy the machines holding the coloured asterisk balls and then go put them back? Can you share advice or anything anon?
>>
File: saturnj-cover.jpg (558KB, 1909x1909px) Image search: [Google]
saturnj-cover.jpg
558KB, 1909x1909px
>>4025247
I know exactly how confusing it is, seeing as they literally explain nothing in the actual game. Here's my best explanation.

The point of every mare (sub-level) is to gather 20 blue chips (The glowing blue orbs) and bring them back to the Ideya, releasing them back to the child. This is the only necessary function for every level, and will at least pass you, guaranteeing you at least an E. This is where the score-junkie aspect kicks in. In order to get a good rank on the stage you need to rack up points. How do you do this best? Collecting those blue chips, stars, going through rings, and getting links. But if you do this all once or twice until you get the Ideya you'll probably get a C. Getting anything higher means getting the Ideya as fast as possible, and then replaying each mare by flying OVER the starting point, so you don't finish the mare. Fly around the stage gathering stars and blue chips. Go through rings and try to get the biggest link possible by keeping up your speed and making circles to collect items en masse. Use L & R after going through trick hoops to dance. Press A B or C to use NiGHTS' speed boost. Master the stages and figure out the best route to rack up as many points as possible. Make sure you keep your eye on the timer, and always make sure before you fly past the beginning that you have enough time, because running out means an F rank. Definitely do this on the first level's first mare, as it's easiest. It's very satisfying using your speed boost to collect every item in the first mare in one big 28 item link.

Doing this for every level is of course challenging, and the game can get pretty tricky to figure out. Once this is figured out though, the game transitions from a pretty simple game where you can go with the flow, to a complex and fast paced thriller. Best of luck with this game, it's beautiful and so worth beating!
>>
>>4025392
fuck, I needed that explanation, the game never really clicked with me and it's almost certainly the fact that I barely had any clue what I was doing
gonna go home and see if I can enjoy me some NiGHTS now

>>4025687
at no point is this ever really conveyed to you despite being really important
>>
File: nights.jpg (152KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
nights.jpg
152KB, 640x480px
>>4025727
>at no point is this ever really conveyed to you despite being really important
What the fuck do you think this meter you're filling up means?
>>
This is really fantastic, after the Sanic is too hard meme now we have Nights is too complex. I'm really amazed you millennial babbies even manage to function properly without someone holding your hand.
>>
>>4025204
Space Harrier is a real classic. Don't bother scoring or anything, just play to survive. Fast and exciting with cool enemy designs, if a bit simple (just about every attack in the game is aimed directly at the player, so the trick is to never double back on yourself, the real thing to watch out for is enemy or scenery collisions)

I like the Genesis sequel too, but the choppy scrolling and limited amount of frames from being such an early title really hurts it, it desperately needs a remake like Fantasy Zone 2 got. I personally think it's got loads better stage design, and the more aggressive enemy shot speed makes getting shot at much more dangerous.
Harrier himself also blocks less of the screen when low to the ground in SH2, which makes dodging pillars and the lot much easier.
>>
>>4025738
>Space Harrier
It's still not nearly as good as Star Fox though.
>>
>>4025743
If the game is literally unplayable without an instruction manual it's proof the developers designed an obtuse trial and error vague bullshit that should have never have passed for a final product. This is burning bushes in Zelda 1 all over again!
>>
>>4025746
This is just like the barrel from Sonic 3 or the Maridia tube from Super Metroid.
>>
>>4023639
It's listed as compatible but the Xbox 360's emulation completely breaks it.
>>
>>4025771
fucking sega are terrible programmers
>>
>>4025809
They seemed good enough for Sega to develop a bunch of exclusives for OG Xbox back in the day.
>>
>>4025214
>>4025204
>although some obscure titles exist
EOS: Edge of Skyhigh
Gamera 2000
(Omega Boost)
Night Striker
Falsion
Panorama Cotton
Galactic Storm

https://railshooters.wordpress.com/
>>
>>4025741
>game released in the mid-80s, one of the first of its kind, certainly the first really successful one
>vs a game released years later with a fair few other games to take inspiration from, like Sega's own Galaxy Force II and some full-3D flight games

the fuck do you expect
SF1's framerate is awful though, but that's probably one of the few massive drawbacks of that game (well, there's also the fact that SF64 is a fairly similar game, but better in almost every way), shit's ace.
Emulation helps because they go "lol, let's just run every SuperFX game at SuperFX2 clockrate"... but the game itself is sped up too since it's slowing down that much.
Maybe that's for the best, though.

>>4025743
>manual
my copy of NiGHTS was just a bare disc, having bought it years later
actually, getting US Saturn games with the manual is kind of annoying because of those shitty-as-fuck long boxes (well, you can easily get complete US Saturn games, assuming you want the case to break in transit and pay more for that privilege)

>>4025753
I still kind of wonder about people not getting the barrel, unless they just timed out before figuring it out every time and gave up. There's not much else to do other than press up and down.
maybe it's just that I never did have issues with it, so I've got no frame of reference on how someone else didn't figure it out

>>4025849
I wish Panorama Cotton was actually good. Game's super cool looking.
Omega Boost probably shouldn't count, although it does have a handful of pure rail shooter sections, and it's a really fantastic game anyway.
>>
>>4020624
I like them, but two decades later and I still can't beat any games from the series, even worse in the Xbox game.
>>
>>4025937
In most situations the barrel can be sorted up just by jumping since it retains the momentum of sonic falling on it, that seems to be the only way to make it work since pressing up or down doesn't show any inmediately visible changes on the barrel and nothing else in the game works that way.

I think I just turn off the game in frustration an then searched on internet for info on it, but I was like 14 when I played sonic 3 I didn't had the pacience for it.
>>
>>4025736
>Sonic is too hard
No, people say Sonic is too shit not too hard. I said Nights didn't explain anything, which is true. Go back to /v/ kid
>>
The Space Harrier cover is probably one of the most radically bodacious things I've seen, I love it
>>
>>4020624
>panzer dragoon
so they rode up to the battle in armored vehicles
jumped out and fought with their matchlocks?
>>
>>4026729
Was this post meant to be funny
>>
>>4025771
I didn't get my hands on Orta until my OG xbox was already dead, didn't notice any significant slowdowns or glitching; the game is plenty playable. Or is it more of a graphical fidelity thing?
>>
>>4025937
>Omega Boost probably shouldn't count, although it does have a handful of pure rail shooter sections, and it's a really fantastic game anyway.
That's why I put it in brackets.
>>
you can easily mod an original xbox to play games from every region so long as you have a copy of splinter cell (black label, not platinum hits.) Orta is a great game, and also includes the first game which is playable in 480p. Keep in mind this, and the PS2 re-releases are based on the PC version and is missing visual effects the saturn version has. The Saturn is still more than worth owning for the other two games and a more definitive version of the original.

Great franchise, and the music is top notch too. Also check out the other albums Yoshitaka Azuma made for panzer dragoon. Feels a lot like the music from the game itself but more of a focus on the odd instruments and electronic side of it. By comparison the game feels more minimalist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUeE2tZ3pco
>>
>>4026734
this board should have the highest concentratin of dads on 4chinz
>>
>>4027334
Dads at least have jokes that are eye rollingly funny, that anons post was some legitimate cringe
>>
>>4027334
>this board should have the highest concentratin of dads on 4chinz

More like the highest concentration of 30+ year old neets.
>>
>>4025830
the fact that Sega didn't just go and make everything they did post-DC multiplats really pissed me off at the time
failing that, it would have been nice if they just picked a system and stuck with it
>>
>>4027334
That explains the retro threads
>>
>>4026776
same here, don't remember any problems with it either.
>>
>Daydream about flying on dragons because of this game
Oh dear
>>
>>4030771
>flying on dragons
Bruh...
>>
>>4027335
no no, if you think they are eye-rollingly funny, you are a dad yourself. dad jokes are always awful.
>>
>>4031505
There's a difference between awful because of lame-ness and awful because of poor quality
>>
>>4021472
>PD1 is good but not great, the first level is probably the best part of the whole game.
It's my non-researched assumption that the first level was the pitch for a full game. The music and direction feel so much different than the rest of the game. It really is at a higher caliber than the rest. Maybe this is a question to ask the devs in an interview.
>>
Whoever recommended Space Harrier thank you, I'm really enjoying it.
>>
>Page 11
What is this?
>>
File: IMG_4564.jpg (53KB, 641x530px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4564.jpg
53KB, 641x530px
>nobody mentioned saga
>>
>>4022730
Yes, they also die very easily.
>>
Up there with my favorite chase-cam shmups.

>Space Harrier
>Panzer Dragoon II
>Burning Force
>Sin & Punishment
>Night Striker S
>>
Orta > Zwei > OG, but all are rock solid
The directional attacks really grated on me at first but once I got used to it, other rail shooters felt wrong without it

The death of the rail shooter genre (and also light gun games) really sucks.
>>
>>4036594
Zwei should be higher since it has branching paths.

>The death of arcades really sucks.
ftfy
>>
File: Edge-pds.jpg (29KB, 450x354px) Image search: [Google]
Edge-pds.jpg
29KB, 450x354px
This is my favorite out of the series
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.