[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would pic related make a decent lounge-friendly emulation box?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 3

File: 56963851_10.jpg (388KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
56963851_10.jpg
388KB, 3000x2000px
Would pic related make a decent lounge-friendly emulation box? Specs are:
>Core 2 Duo [email protected]
>3GB DDR2
>Intel GMA 950
>Windows 7 32bit

Also, emulation general I guess.
>>
>>4019330
Should be able to handle retro 2D games fine
>>
>>4019330
Perfect specs to run ZSNES.
>>
>>4019351
>>4019356
That's good to know. How about PS1 or is that pushing it a little too far on a C2D?
>>
>>4019358
fuck sake PS1 was decently emulated on late pentium 4's u mug
>>
NESticle should work no probs
>>
>>4019362
Thanks!

No need to be rude though. We're all friends here :)
>>
File: Screenshot_142.png (936KB, 644x644px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_142.png
936KB, 644x644px
>>4019459
>We're all friends here :)
>>
>>4019330
Might be ok for for 2D emulation
>>4019362
>decently emulated
No it wasn't
>>
>>4019487
Don't you want to be my friend, anon? :(
>>4019516
Oh, so does that mean I can't run PS1 games on the processor I listed? What about other 5th gen systems?
>>
I emulated some light PS1 games on a single core 650MHz and on a AMD X2 pretty well, the processor should be fine if you use ePSXe instead of some autism garbage like higan
>>
The issue with PSX emulation isn't the processor, it's the lack of a dedicated GPU.

It MIGHT work with some basic games.
>>
>>4019576
>2017
>not using Beetle PSX
It's like you deliberately choose to use inferior options
>>
>>4019651
Looks good! :D

Would PGXP run ok on this Mac Mini?
>>
>>4019516
Yes ps1 was. Stop being dumb.
>>
>>4019516
>No it wasn't
Yes it was. I ran it fine with my Celeron 2.8 ghz PC back in the day. With a stock graphics card.
>>
>>4019604
GPU support is beneficial, but not necessary on something as old as the PlayStation. A Core2Duo should be able to run it perfectly fine in software.
>>
Windows doesn't make for a lounge-friendly experience regardless of purpose. Try something like Lakka if you don't hate yourself.

>>4019678
PS1 wasn't decently emulated "back in the day".
>>
>>4019330
If you're wanting to just do 4th gen and lower, the Wii is an excellent choice especially when paired with a CRT.
>>
>>4019330
Why are you going to ditch osx?
>>
>>4019698
A Core2Duo would shit all over the Wii in every imaginable way.
>>
>>4019692

I found Windows 8 and now 10 with 8's start menu to be pretty good. I just set things to the start menu as I see fit and any video game controller can be easily set to navigate the menus I need.

But yeah, OP is on a real desktop OS, nothing useful for HTPCs.
>>
>>4019708
Yeah but I think he wants a small form factor.
>>
>>4019330
Mac OSX? While I previously would've recommended it, ever since the update to mavericks all my emulators have lost support... was using KEGA before but as of the update I can't run SCD or 32X games...
>>
>>4019718

Cause the PC in OP's pic is a fucking blimp, right?
>>
>>4019719

Jesus, this isn't even a rtft response, it's rtfop
>>
>>4019718
That MacMini is volumetrically smaller than a Wii.
>>
>>4019720
Except for the GMA won't support pretty much anything after N64. At least with the Wii, you have the added benefit of playing any Gamecube/Wii Game.
>>
>>4019727

That is really entirely up to OP to decide, not you. Wii is not better at the job than PC except at playing GCN/Wii games, it's otherwise worse, and he said it's for emulation.
>>
>>4019727
That's a good point. I don't believe Wii emulators use the GPU though, so on that end it would be weaker.
>>
>>4019740

It does, but it also uses one CPU core for graphics and C2D is too weak for that.
>>
>Apple
Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>4019746
The Wii only has a single core. Perhaps you're thinking of the WiiU.
>>
>>4019750

Reread the last two posts.
>>
>>4019752
Help me out here. You're saying people have been able to use the Wii's GPU, but it also uses one CPU (the only) core for graphics. Is the Wii GPU running the emulator?
>>
>>4019770

No, retard, I said the Wii emulator, which was the subject of discussion, not the Wii, uses one of your CPU cores for graphics.

That's why Dolphin requires a dual core CPU.
>>
I use a Dell Optiplex 1070 SFF.
It's about 2.25x as large as that, but it has 2 PCI Express half-heigh expansion slots and room for a full-size hard drive, and an i5 or i7 processor.

Slapped an R7 250 2GB in it, and it's pretty nice for $150 total.
>>
>>4019724
>windows 7
Ah I didn't see that blatantly written. How about answering my question regardless? Recommend me some emus for Mac.
>>
>>4019774
I got it now. I was talking about emulators on the Wii. People haven't been able to use the Wii's GPU for Homebrew emulation was what I saying.
>>
>>4019779
Basically the same that you would find on Linux. There would be less overhead too.
>>
File: -_-.png (23KB, 427x381px) Image search: [Google]
-_-.png
23KB, 427x381px
>>4019330
I've got practically the same specs on my old 2008 laptop that I keep as retro gamebox for traveling. Plays ps1/saturn & anything before it silky smooth. I did find that the more current version of epsxe actually ran worse on this rig. I assume it's been optimized for current pc's. You might have to dig around for older versions to get the results you want, but seems to be a more than capable box you have there.
>>
Hi everyone, OP back after life got in the way of 4chan...

Some great suggestions here. I will point out that I already have a fully hacked Wii along with numerous CRTs and really am looking at this as something with a little more muscle that will work better with my main HDTV.
>>
>>4019714
Would I not be able to run Win10 on those specs?
>>
>>4019330
Since I was playing MAME happily back in the day with a pentium 3 500mhz : Yes. Yes it will.
>>
>>4019557
You'll be fine, I emulated PS1 on my 2007 MacBook Pro (similar specs) in college and it did alright. You're not going to be able to bump up the resolution, but standard def will be happy. You'll get better performance under windows; just make sure to turn down the graphical enhancements for the OS, since they're dumb.
>>4019779
This guy >>4019789 is right, you also have OpenEmu for OS X/macOS, which is a nice front end for most of the popular cores. It's like an iTunes style interface that works well on a TV, if you're into that.
>>4020717
That mini won't support Win10 officially, but you can trick it by installing 7 and then upgrading from within Windows. Drivers are a little complicated, but Win10's driver support is way, way better out of the box, so it would probably be fine (if that's even what you're asking, apologies if I'm misunderstanding.)
>>
>>4020724
>make sure to turn down the graphical enhancements for the OS, since they're dumb
I generally turn off Aero and run Classic anyhow as it's just eye candy bloat as far as I'm concerned.

I may see how I get on with 7 first then consider upgrading to 10 for more sofa-friendly UI. Then again perhaps a dedicated gaming distro like Lakka would be a better option in the long run.
>>
>>4020753
Agreed completely, I hate UI bloat, and that's not a bad idea either if you want a couch-rig. I've been thinking about finding an older mini to do the same thing, but my Wii and Wii2HDMI adapter are doing the trick for now.
>>
Shitposting.

Shitposting everywhere!
>>
>>4020724
Win10 system requirements
>1+GHz CPU
check
>1GB for 32-bit 2GB for 64-bit
check
>16GB free hard drive space
check
>DirectX 9 capable GPU
check
>>
>>4021003
Obviously its specs are fine, but when you're installing Windows on an older Mac it's not as easy as sticking in an install disc. That Mac will refuse a W10 installer, unless you install 7 first; that's all I was saying. And then the Bootcamp drivers won't/might work (depending on if you installed them under W7 or not). It's just a lot of fuckery, but it usually works out. I've had the best luck with W10 on my Mac that 'doesn't support it' by not installing the BC drivers under Windows 7, and letting W10 figure out all the drivers on install, and finding non-generic GPU drivers manually.
>>
>>4019749
t. butthurt microshill
>>
So much misinformation in this thread and from the looks of it no one has used a C2D in here.

You might struggle with some things like bsnes or Mednafen but other than that you're going to be more than fine. In fact, the single core performance (emulators being almost entirely single core) is very good and not leagues behind current offerings clock for clock.

Bottom line is, unless you're going for the absolute most accurate emulators you have a surplus of CPU power with a C2D.
>>
>>4019330
I have a 2.4 ghz core2duo (p8600) with 4 gigs of ram and a nividia 320m.

I can emulate pretty much everything up to the 5th gen without problems.

I've emulated the NES, SNES, Megadrive/32x, GBA, and Vectrex without any issues.
N64 runs without any framerate issues, but the usual N64 emulation problems persist (mainly just sprites being displayed incorrectly on menus).

I've emulated the DS, but many titles stutter, particularly Bowser's Inside Story and Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks.

I haven't tried to emulate the Playstation yet, so I can't speak for that.
>>
>>4020706
>i have low standards
Indeed
>>
>>4019557

I don't want to be your friend.

I love you.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
>>
>>4019330
Yes figrot its a good setup
I used an Intel Atom system to emulate everything up to PS1
>>
>>4019692
>PS1 wasn't decently emulated "back in the day".
FUCKING UNDERAGED FAGGOTS
>>
If by "decently emulated" you mean enabling a thousand game specific hacks and missing the majority of visual effects, sure
>>
>>4021045
Stop believing in phony marketing competitions designed to force you into loyalty for a brand. Proprietary software is fucking cancer. Microsoft is bad and Apple is bad, probably even worse.
>>
>>4021537
*Turns both of us into cute traps*
>>
>>4019330
Put Retroarch on that shit. Also use a PS2 or PS3 Controller.

Emulation until PS1, N64 must run fine
> inb4 bad engrish
>>
>>4019330
>Intel GMA 950
If you like fps drops while browsing family photos.

I think this GPU will be too weak for anything, I know emus are CPU mostly but there are limits how low you can go with GPU.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.