[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any significant difference between sega saturn model 1 and model

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Sega_Saturn.png (294KB, 551x501px) Image search: [Google]
Sega_Saturn.png
294KB, 551x501px
Any significant difference between sega saturn model 1 and model 2? I'm kind of curious why the model 1 is generally more expensive, is it just a rarer model? Or is it actual function, or easier to pirate on, something real?
>>
>>4007632
Rarer and something to do with modchips.
>>
>>4007632
allegedly higher build quality. there are some nice little touches like a labels for buttons. after the model 1 they had to cut costs to drop the price.
>>
>>4007632
Model 1 is also bigger, some people say it outputs better video quality than Model 2.
I prefer overall M2, its more compact, has a better laser unit and overall you can see it's easier to mod and mess around with.
>>
>>4010591
They're the same size...
>>
>>4010591
there's no consistent lasers between the models though, its entirely random.
>>
>>4007632
The model 1 is easier to do the disc swap trick. There is one less step or it gives you more time or something, I can't remember.
>>
I may as well ask here so I don't have to make a thread.

I'm trying to install a phantom universal mod chip in a model one right now, and i can not find for the life of exactly what kind of wire youre supposed to use for soldering to the power.

Feel free to call me retarded.
>>
>>4010657
same amount of time, but model 2's copy protection read is much quieter than the model 1's buzzing rail.

model 1 and 2's differ in a few ways, model 1's support CWX and JHL read modes for pseudo saturn, while model 2's only do CWX which limits support for some games in pseudo saturn. Saturn's are pretty rugged machines otherwise so if you're getting a western model it'll likely be perfectly fine regardless of the revision since they never saw much use generally speaking. You're definitely gonna want the model 2 pad however.
>>
>>4010680
isn't it the other way around? I have a model 1 but it can't use JHL

>>4010568
which one?
>>
>>4007632
They're both hipster bait with underwhelming libraries (including the Japanese meme library), so take your pick.
>>
File: nicopreguntón.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
nicopreguntón.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>>4011559
Explain to me how is Saturn a "hipster bait" and not any other retro console?
I've owned a Saturn since 1996 (along with a N64 and PS1)
>>
>>4011737

the only "bait" in this discussion is the post you just replied to

A hipster tries to act better than someone not into the item of discussion, whereas Saturn players constantly try to get others into Saturn. It doesn't make sense and is bad bait, but you took it. Nice.
>>
>>4011737
>Taking someone seriously and not as an underage child when the use "meme" as an adjective
You're fucking up. Or lying and are underage also.
>>
>>4007632
Euro model 1s have a tendency to have a cap problem where the machine stops rebooting once you've played for awhile on the per supply board but these are easily fixed by adding a resistor
>>
>>4007632
there is an exclusive castlevaniak game for the model 1 saturn
>>
>>4012747
Do they make a buzzing noise?
>>
>>4007632
In the USA it is because they had very few model 1s at launch, and got switched to model 2 very soon.

In Japan model 1s are as plentiful as model 2s.

>>4010591
>some people say it outputs better video quality than Model 2.

This is false. Any difference in video quality has to do with the age of the filter caps inside the unit. I've recapped one of my model 2s and it got notably better colours.

>I prefer overall M2, its more compact,
they are literally the same size

>has a better laser unit
also false, they use the same laser.

>and overall you can see it's easier to mod and mess around with.
all the models are equally easy to mod if you know what you are doing.

>>4010657
also not true, the only difference is that you don't have a led, but you don't even need them to do the swap trick, since you can hear the laser moving in both units.
>>
>>4012747
>Euro model 1s have a tendency to have a cap problem where the machine stops rebooting once you've played for awhile on the per supply board but these are easily fixed by adding a resistor

That's caused by the PWM switch on the power supply overheating, and it also happens on NTSC units, most often on the ones with the top mounted power supply.

You need to add a capacitor to fix it, not a resistor. But you are better off replacing the PWM switch with a modern equivalent.

And model 2s have a tendency to randomly crash/reboot until you have been playing them for a while. Sometimes they need 10 minutes every day to warm up, sometimes they need 2 hours but then work fine for 2 months. It's random and there is no known fix.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.