[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the consensus on Lufia 2? As I get older, time is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

What's the consensus on Lufia 2? As I get older, time is precious to me and I don't want to devote a great deal of it in a game which isn't worth it.

So how does this stack up against other SNES RPG classics?
>>
>>4003759
So good of music
>>
Any game that awards you extra scenes and unique loot for defeating "unbeatable" bosses is cool in my book.
>>
>>4003759
love it, uses a bar similar to the limit break bar in FFVII, except better
the equipment system is also similar to the one in FFIX, except less grindy
it's like those two games took ideas from Lufia 2 and made them worse
dungeons are also fun and puzzle based with visible monsters that can be avoided
>>
I kinda feel ya. Lots of old RPGs I've always wanted to play through, but these days I have so little time I really don't want to devote the time to RPGs. At this point I'm just developing a collection to play once I retire.
>>
>>4003794
So where would you rank it against the SNES Final Fantasy titles?
>>
>>4003805
I probably like it more than all three at the moment, but my views on FF aren't popular so take the rec with a grain of salt
I liked IV because ATB was something new at the time and the game moved at a pretty snappy pace
V took too much grinding to have any fun with the job system because most enemy formations give 1 ABP, ad I was never a big fan of the World of Ruin in VI
>>
>>4003759
Do I need to beat Lufia 1 before in order to appreciate 2 better?
>>
It's pretty good.

I wouldn't classify it as being better than any grade-A RPG from that time period.

It's story is bland (outside of the romance subplot which isn't a huge part of the game),
the graphics and everything looks the same after a while, and a lot of the dungeons are just fetch-quests. Bosses are boring also.

The good is that it has pretty clever, interactive puzzles in the dungeons; good music; enemy sprites that appear outside of battles you can engage; and the romance subplot which can be interesting.

Honestly it isn't one of the best RPGs on the SNES and you'd be better off playing something else uncommon like Terranigma or fan-translated Live-A-Live. It's still an okay game though
>>
>>4003824
nah
>>
File: IMAG0423.jpg (1MB, 1915x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0423.jpg
1MB, 1915x1080px
As someone who put off playing Lufia 2 until I was 30 after playing the first one to 100% many times over the last 2 decades, it was worth the wait. It didn't blow me away, but I kept marveling at how ahead of its time it was. I recommend:

Don't use a walkthrough, every puzzle is worth the time.
Don't do the ancient cave on a 1st playthrough. It was a huge detour and I walked out with equips that wrecked the difficulty.
Only use a walkthrough when you get to a map at the end of the game that's graphically glitched. I thought it was just my setup but apparently the game was released with a graphical bug that makes progression almost impossible.

Have fun, don't abuse save states, and appreciate the game as you may have 20 years ago.
>>
>>4003930
Sound advice.
>>
>>4003759
How old are you, op?
>>
>>4004365
Why is this board so obsessed with age, jesus christ
>>
>>4003759
It's ok.

The main draw compared to other JRPG's is that you have some aspect of puzzles in dungeons.

It's really generic otherwise. Time investment wise you could do better, and you could do a lot worse.

Ancient Cave is fun as heck though.
>>
>>4004374
>Time investment wise you could do better
like what?
>>
>>4003819
There is no grind in a regular FF5 run, the ATB gain is balanced so that you don't get xfight and dual wield within an hour.
>>
>>4003759
Lufia II has great graphics, awesome music, really fun gameplay mechanics, and the best subquest ever with the Ancient Cave. The only downsides of it are the difficulty being JRPG-easy (but the game does allow and sometimes even encourage crazy difficult challenges with "unbeatable" bosses, which is fun) and the story. The story is terrible, it's just a series of really fucking stupid and disjointed anime-filler-episode events with like two or three actually good parts, and most of these are lifted straight out of Lufia 1. That being said, those good parts are awesome.

It's just really really good otherwise though, so go for it. Lufia 1 has a better story, more involved and it at least attempts to give you a goal so you know why you're doing fetch quests for most of the game, but the gameplay is terribly archaic so you don't need to play it if you're not into early Dragon Quest clones.
>>
>>4003824
The thing about Lufia 1 is that it's a sequel to 2 and starts out with the ending to 2. It's also nowhere near as good as 2 so if you're playing it after coming off of 2 you'll be let down. Playing 1 before 2 means you'll be blown away by 2 but already know what happens to the characters.
>>
>>4003759
Good game. It's more action and puzzley than other JRPG's.
>>4003805
Apples and oranges m8
>>4003824
Nup
>>
>>4004365
Rapidly approaching 40.
>>
>>4004676
play Lufia 3 before you kick the bucket
>>
>>4004678
I'm sure the crippling arthritis will set in well before then.
>>
>>4004681
I actually made several arcade sticks simply because I got really bad tendonitis and arthritis in my fingers and can't functionally hold a controller anymore.

Well, arcade stick isn't totally accurate, it's basically an arcade stick, but all the buttons of an SNES controller are wired to a pushbutton. So the D-pad is 4 individual buttons.

Helps. Basically can only play a handful of times of games on it, mainly stuff that's turn based, which kind of sucks, but dems the brakes.
>>
>>4004586
> it's just a series of really fucking stupid and disjointed anime-filler-episode events

I have seen before in many jrpgs, and wandered if maybe the translation was shit.
>>
>>4004573
it doesn't require grinding to beat, but it does require grinding to have fun with mixing and matching all the different job commands
>>
I honestly feel like Lufia 2 should always be among the top recommended SNES RPGs but people seem to forget it exists for some reason.
>>
>>4003930
>Only use a walkthrough when you get to a map at the end of the game that's graphically glitched. I thought it was just my setup but apparently the game was released with a graphical bug that makes progression almost impossible.

You mean the part in that temple where all you have to do is walk straight up until you can't anymore and hit the talk to the guy button? Sure the graphics are so completely fucked up to the point where you can't see your char or where you are, but come on you shouldn't need a guide for 1 room of glitched graphics. If I could figure it out when I was 10, I'm sure people can handle it now.
>>
>>4003930
>>4004904

An alternate way would be to get a different version of Lufia 2 or the SFC cart of Estpolis 2 (its japanese name), that way you don't have to play through that messed up temple. Not that it is a huge deal (you'll only be in it for a minute) but hey, just saying alternatives exist.

Also OP, as >>4004586 mentioned: you won't like Lufia 2 for the story or its characters and if you're into challenging RPGs with little to no "gimmicks" (that is if you don't want to solve puzzles in dungeons) then you might be let down. That being said, it's got great music, battles in dungeons can be avoided most of the time and if you actually like the action oriented gameplay from Link to the Past and different kinds of puzzles and don't mind to bear with them during dungeons then you might actually love it. Also, if you don't play many RPGs then it's a great choice because it's got a lot of replay value (ancient cave, collecting the dragon eggs and capsule monsters ... all of that jazz).
>>
>>4003759
You could've just played through the game in the time it took you to make this thread.
>>
>>4003759
Awesome gameplay, boring story and characters.
>>
>>4005128
kek
>>
>>4003824
Lufia 1's battle system is like FF1 in that you need to properly strategize which enemy you hit, because if an enemy dies and a character was about to hit that one, it'll attack an empty space. In otherwords, you can't mash A.

Lufia 2's battle system is interesting and pretty fun. You even get Pets that come to battle with you, although leveling them and shit is kinda weird.
>>
Very good kind of underrated SNES gem, I highly recommend it, fellow anon
>>
File: luf2map.gif (252KB, 800x556px) Image search: [Google]
luf2map.gif
252KB, 800x556px
Lufia 2 mainquest has great gameplay, very nice puzzles and shitload of secrets. Downsides are the boring story and multiple fetch quests.

Now, the ancient cave is pretty much his own game and should be avoided till you end the mainquest. You will probably spend more time here than the main game. Finishing will take a lot of time, and dont bother trying to go without a full party with Dekar or Artea.
>>
>>4004815
If you want that you can level jobs in no time using elixir pots in phoenix tower and movers in the rift, hardly something I consider "too much grinding"
>>
>>4003824

lufia 1 is a very old school RPG. And some of the fetch quests are terrible, you will drop them half way. The story is better than Lufia 2. I recommend it only to hardcore fans.
>>
>>4005143
Dekar is everything but boring, bro!
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.