[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So... i have a second gen Snes (no sound module) and i cant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

So... i have a second gen Snes (no sound module) and i cant get sound working on it, ive replaced capacitors, checked for broken traces and i hit the edge of my knowlñedge in electronics.

So i need help getting sound directly out of the actual sound chip.

Ive found this old thread http://benheck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=65568

Andf that guy says he could get sound from the sound chip, but i need some help here.

¨ I tried connecting a pair of RCA jacks directly to the output pins on the APU (pins 21 and 22) through high-quality capacitors and resistors for protection¨

Which one is the APU? SMP OR SDSP?

What does he mean by quality capacitor and resistors?
>>
>>4003448
The audio subsystem is more or less composed of 4 chips. The SMP contains the SPC700 CPU core and periphery registers, the SDSP is the actual thing that makes the beeps and boops, and the two other chips are audio RAM.

If you want to really debug this, at very minimum you need a multimeter, but realistically you really need an oscilloscope. I doubt you have a scope, but do you have a multimeter?
>>
>>4003469

and the amplifier chip is that small thing labeled NEC something, right?

I dont want to debug it, i want to take audio out of the cip which is what that other guy did, so i guesss what youre trying to say is that the pins he used where SDSP pins 21 and 22 correct? or was it the SMP? im confused cause my model has two sound chips, SMP and SDSP.

Also i have no idea about the values of the caps and resistance i need to connect so i dont fry my TV or any other component.

So
>>
>>4003486
The SDSP (Sound Digital Signal Processor) is what outputs the audio signal. The SMP (Super Music Processor?) is what controls the SDSP.

An analogy is the 5A22 contains the 65816 CPU core (the main processor of the SNES) and some perphery registers (like controller circuitry). It controls the PPU (Picture Processing Unit) which are the chips responsible for outputting graphics.

The resistor is probably there to prevent loading the circuit, but with amplification, you can measure the voltage of the circuit. This is the same principle behind a voltmeter. Technically a voltmeter changes the electrical properties of a circuit, however a big fat resistor (usually megaohms, i think) is added to the voltmeter to prevent it from substantially changing the behavior.

The caps are probably to prevent inductively loading the circuit, because all those long wires you are adding have parasitic inductance, and the caps counteract that by smoothing out current. You can read about impedance to get a better idea of what I am talking about.

The small NEC chip is the DAC (digital to analog converter)
http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/6973/NEC/UPD6376GS.html

Actually, with that knowledge, it seems like your target should really be pins on the DAC, since that is what feeds into the output of the system.
>>
File: snes_audio.gif (100KB, 1600x763px) Image search: [Google]
snes_audio.gif
100KB, 1600x763px
>>4003548
Btw, the audio subsystem schematic is probably helpful.
>>
>>4003548
>seems like your target should really be pins on the DAC

yeah but, i have a feeling the actual issue is with the DAC, it looks corroded and ive tried cleaning it and tying my best to reflow it with the limited tools that i have, but still i get no sound so i want to bypass it.

Here;s the schematic on that chip and audio output comes from pins 6 and 11 https://console5.com/techwiki/images/1/1e/UPD6376GS.pdf

So, in theory, if i wanted to get audio directly from the NEC chip, i would have to solder pins 6 and 11 to pins 11 and 12 on the Multiout port, is this correct?

What are the values of the capacitors and/or resistors i should put btw the pins and the Multiout?
>>
>>4003971
Oh shit, I just found fantastic SNES rev2 schematics. My heart goes out to the person who put this together.
http://gamesx.com/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=schematics:snes_schematic_color.pdf
http://gamesx.com/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=schematics:snes_schematic_mono.pdf

The audio sub circuit is the bottom half. I'm taking a look at the schematics now. This will aid a solution tremendously.

Btw, is the image >>4003448 your SNES? What is that thing on the bottom right? It doesn't look like a Pi, but it looks like a System-on-a-Chip. If you don't have a scope, it may just be possible to make that thing into one...
>>
>>4004219
>Btw, is the image >>4003448(OP) your SNES?

nope, just some random Snes board image i found cause i didnt have one of mine but if im correct that chip would be a SPDIF audio mod, which i dont want cause that board alone is $25.

Thanks for the schematic tho, but the only way i can see of getting audio directly from a chip is from the NEC UPD6376 chip.

I would like to try wiring from those pins directly to the multiout, could that be risky as in frying anything on the board? also i have no idea what kind of resistance or capacitors shoul i need for doing this.
>>
>>4004231
According to the schematic, if you connect the DAC pins to the multiout pins with some circuit, your console will lose the ability to mix in audio from the expansion port (it was never used) and the cart (I don't think it was ever used). Big loss. Still looking at things.
>>
>>4004237
>your console will lose the ability to mix in audio

i dont really care much about that, i dont use a SuperGB on it.
>>
bought some RCA jacks yesterday and tonight im going i9n dry.

Ill solder the pins to them, and plug the thing into a receiver i don need anymore, i need to know is this Snes has audio or not.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.