[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

They sure don't make games like they used to.. Isn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

File: maxresdefault.jpg (157KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
157KB, 1920x1080px
They sure don't make games like they used to.. Isn't it sad /vr/?
>>
>>4002306
Meh.
>>
Why? You got enough old games to last you a lifetime
>>
>>4002306
You mean with crippling bugs, PAL-slowdown, flickering sprites, wiggly textures, loading times, scratched disks, massive delays in worldwide releases (IF you get a release), and terrible design issues/interfaces?

Sure do miss the 90s.
>>
>>4002325
tfw you will never see colorful 8 bit styles with a limited color pallete
>>
>>4002327
Shovel Knight just came out, pallete is one of the few things it actually got right
>>
>>4002328
Shovel Knight is really good, I'll admit. Although I heard complaints it wasn't authentic at all. Still, it did the trick.

Sadly though, I also miss the weird little obscurities on NES, Master System and such
>>
>>4002330
Master System was obscure shit only a third worlder could love
>>
What are you talking about? They still make games loaded to the brim with cinematic cutscenes that interrupt gameplay.
>>
>>4002339
Yeah but it was short and succinct. Not like a literal fucking movie with boring dialogue and dumb pointless stock visuals to pad the run time. Unskippable shit is nonsense too
>>
File: tumblr_o68zdp0NC31tslycfo1_540.gif (92KB, 540x448px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o68zdp0NC31tslycfo1_540.gif
92KB, 540x448px
>>4002330
Try Oniken or Odallus, they both got the look right.

Steel Assault (in development) looked great until they changed their art direction to something more 16-bitish/arcadeish.

Cyber Shadow (also in Development) looks VERY promising.
>>
Oh please, there is a bunch of platformers that imitate 8bit gameplay. At last complain about something rare.
>>
File: gaming-hipster1.jpg (91KB, 800x794px) Image search: [Google]
gaming-hipster1.jpg
91KB, 800x794px
>>4002483
>>
>>4002343
>Unskippable shit is nonsense too
the biggest crime in gaming imo especially when it's minutes long and forces a sit through every play.
>>
>>4002328
lal
>>
File: mighty-gunvolt-spot3.png (222KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
mighty-gunvolt-spot3.png
222KB, 800x480px
>>4002380
I was disappointed by Oniken. It felt very average, but I had tons of fun with Odallus, which feels like the perfect middle ground between ClassicVania and Metroidvania. If you like that, you should check Axiom Verge if you haven't already.

I've started playing Mighty Gun Volt yesterday and it's good. Made by Inti Creates.

There was also Dark Void Zero years ago but that one I never beat.
>>
>>4002491
>Made by Inti Creates
LOL that's the guys who made Mighty No 9.
>>
>>4002509
AFAIK they didn't "make" Mighty No 9, but help make it.

It's also the "guys" who made MM9 and 10.
>>
File: mööp7.png (17KB, 455x452px) Image search: [Google]
mööp7.png
17KB, 455x452px
>>4002491
Thanks, will look into those.

Increasingly more off-topic, is Environmental Station Alpha any good? For me it kinda misses on the aesthetics by going for less historically inspired and more stylized pixel art visuals. Looks more like PICO-8 than anything.

The gameplay seems to get the classic Metroidvania formula right though, atmosphere seems spot-on. I've also heard good things about the soundtrack.
>>
>>4002306
Having Beat Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2, Sunsoft's Batman for the NES, and Castlevania 1 & 3, I'd just like to say-
FUCK ALL OF THOSE GAMES
>>
>>4002328
>pallete is one of the few things it actually got right

And this is what they got wrong. Unless you are referring to consistent colors because I'm curious what is a Politically Correct palette looks like.
https://twitter.com/gamasutra/status/709856601381863424
>>
>>4002326
why are you on this board then? fuck off kid
>>
>>4002532
Man, that looks like ass. Too bad if the gameplay etc. is actually good, looks like typical indie pixelshit.
>>
>>4002326
you did not play games in the 90s.
>>
>>4002659
What he said makes sense if you consider he is talking about the backer portraits in the haunted art museum level.
>>
File: snapshot.jpg (184KB, 640x358px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot.jpg
184KB, 640x358px
>>4002760
(cont)
Basically they had to go over the NES palette count to make portraits of the kickstart backers
>>
>>4002751
Yeah, I know. It's that "bigger pixels is better"-aesthetic. I'm a sucker for Metroid and Metroidvanias though, so....
>>
File: finalfantasytitle.png (2KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
finalfantasytitle.png
2KB, 256x240px
>>4002306
>>
>>4002483
its not the same brah
>>
>>4002576
No castlevania 2?
>>
>>4002343
>Yeah but it was short and succinct.
Ninja Gaiden's cutscenes were anything but short and succinct. They all lasted a minute or longer. That may not seem like much, but it is in between heavy action stages.
>>
>>4002483
>there is a bunch of platformers that imitate 8bit gameplay.
Poorly. They also imitate the look poorly. The vast majority of the games forget that the NES had hard limitations and then they refuse to work within those limitations. That is where all of them fail.
>>
If they did everybody would be complaining that all video games are the same.
>>
>>4004396
Aren't all video games nowadays the same?
>>
>>4004401
Yeah man I literally can't tell the difference between Metal Gear Solid V and Snipperclips.
>>
>>4004405
Nintendo Switch notwithstanding. Nintendo is in la la land, and I love em for it.
>>
>>4002306
They make games the same way they did back then.

Today it's just easier to see how nearly everything coming out is shit and gaming had a smaller more niche market allowing for more creativity and less fear of alienating players.
>>
>>4004412
Except you have to hope you have enough internet bandwidth and hard drive space to download 50-100 GB to even be able to play the game, in addition to updates/patches and shit.

DLC is a whole different story
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.