[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was this game in any way influential in gaming? If so, what did

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: MystCover.png (109KB, 256x307px) Image search: [Google]
MystCover.png
109KB, 256x307px
Was this game in any way influential in gaming? If so, what did it influence? Did it contribute to the medium or was it just a glorified demo disc?
>>
It was the gateway drug that casualized the point & click adventure game and created the market that now guzzles "hidden clue" games like intoxicated hippos.
>>
>>3999898

If it did anything it's that it pushed the world-building aspect of games, and to a lesser extent, the story telling.
>>
File: 1996-07.jpg (120KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1996-07.jpg
120KB, 800x600px
>>3999898
It was pretty huge and influential

>Killer app for the CD-Rom, convincing millions to buy the devices
>Was one of the best selling games of all time, without any violence or heavy conflict elements, legitimizing a huge and untapped casual market
>Made huge strides in immersion and presentation, with beautiful, lived-in environments, ambient audio, understated soundtrack and great worldbuilding
>At the time, it was a pioneering use of 3D rendered graphics
>Due to it's success, it inspired dozens of clones, all with varying degrees of success

It's easy to forget that for a long while, Myst was the single bestselling game there was. I think it's influence is undeniable, especially at the time.
>>
>>3999898
>>3999924
Not gonna lie, Myst got me into point and click games and now they're my favorite genre. the story, puzzle solving are all great. although Riven is better than Myst I also recommend the book which is the prequel to Myst, it's called "The Book of Atrus". It's a great read.
>>
Why do people like this game? It made point and click boring and weird. LucasArts and other fun games were better.
>>
I mean, it essentially single-handedly solidified CD-ROM as a viable format. Of course, it's also one of the best selling video games ever made.
>>
Walking simulators wouldn't exist without it. Or at least they'd look a lot different. Decide for yourself whether that's a good thing.
>>
>>4000054
It looked pretty.
>>
>>3999898
Everytime a game is considered as a shining example of video games being an art form, it's usually a game that can be barely qualified as a game.

Really makes you think.
>>
>>4000054
The puzzles were all something you could program in hypercard. What was innovative was the prompting for it in order to find the connections.
Like what John blow was trying to do with that one game, only Myst actually succeeded.

The sound compass is the easiest example to use. They only use 4 sounds for NSEW, but since they combine 2 of them for NE and NW ect., it makes enough different sounds that the player might not pick up on the connection right away. The spectacle of the the minecare cinematics also discourages the player who tries to brute force the maze, and will even mislead the inattentive player who didn't even realize the Audio cues were the connecting theme of the world's puzzles.
>>
>>4000054
not everyone likes lolrandom cartoons like monkey island or sam & max. no matter how much you dislike this particular implementation you have to admit "wandering alone through a mysterious location" is an interesting premise that is a natural fit for videogames, since they struggle so much with believable character interaction.

it also didn't "make point and click" anything. it's not derived from lucasarts or sierra, it's a graphical treatment of the old infocom text adventures like zork. so myst got a lot of hate from the point and click audience because those people were mostly kids drawn into adventure games by their cartoonish box art. they were not old enough to have played zork and understood that myst is part of that tradition and not a threat to their precious cartoon hijinx.
>>
>>4000134
you have not played myst
>>
You needed to be playing games in that time period to appreciate it.

It was basically a variant of the point-and-click adventure games, which usually had a "funny" story and a snarky cartoonish protagonist.

Except in this case the story was played straight and the setting was mysterious and full of lore fragments for you to connect.
It was one of those works that redefine the genre.

It is/was a very rewarding experience, but since then point-and-click adventures fell out of favor with mainstream games and are now curiosities and niche efforts.
>>
>>4000075
walking simulators are not derived from myst at all, they're derived from fps/rpg hybrids. gone home is straightforwardly the part of deus ex or vtmb where you rifle through somebody's apartment or office to find clues. the guy who made it is a fan of these games and worked on bioshock, it's not fucking complicated to trace his inspirations. gone home is simply a mediocre to bad attempt to turn that part of deus ex into an independent game.

the problem is that deus ex and vtmb have too much nerd cred to be blamed for spawning this "catastrophe" of mildly boring fps mazes with milquetoast liberal politics thrown in, so you get this shit where people try to somehow contort myst (the previous "oh no a mainstream paper wrote about my nerd hobby" scare) into being the progenitor of walking sims, even though myst is a hypercard implementation of zork and has fuck all to do with gone home.

(i mean the most fondly remembered part of vtmb is the haunted hotel which is a 100% gameplay-free section of the game where you wander around an empty building, listen to scary noises and collect newspaper clippings about some family. it's literally gone home 0.5 but with murder instead of someone being a sad lesbian or whatever)
>>
>>3999924
>I don't like the genre so it and anyone who does both suck.
>Tripfag retard supreme makes another quality first post.
>>
>>4000182
Why are people so assblasted that there are game genres that appeal to different types of gamers. Not that I'm interested in playing Gone Home, but I'm happy the game is there for people who do want that kind of thing.
>>
>>4000182

In Deus Ex and VTMB there's people you can talk to. In most of Myst, and in walking simulators, you're alone.
>>
>>4000662
read my post again. the point is that there are subsections of deus ex, vtmb etc where you do wander around a depopulated space and follow environmental storytelling. the various apartments in deus ex and vtmb where you go through people's shit, the haunted hotel in vtmb, the first half of the cradle in thief 3 and son on. then there's all the shock games where you normally have monsters but no people, just notes and corpses.

the whole premise of gone home is to take those subsections and make a game that's just that, without the combat zones or hubs where you talk to people. just someone's house to rifle through and read notes.

this is the actual lineage of walking sims, the actual logic that led to gone home. myst is not related to this past a superficial resemblance.

(also fucking myst had fmv people that talked to you)
>>
>>4000846
>this is the actual lineage of walking sims, the actual logic that led to gone home. myst is not related to this past a superficial resemblance.

Not him but to me it looks more like a blend of the two. It's obviously influenced by Deus Ex but that's not to say it's ONLY influenced by Deus Ex. No genre exists entirely in a vacuum.
>>
>>4000869
rather than speaking in pointless generalities you could easily prove me wrong by providing a list of major features which gone home shares with myst but NOT with the relevant sections of the games i mentioned. if you can provide a substantial list of such features, i will concede that myst had a substantial influence on gone home.

bonus question: why does gone home use "451" as a locker combination? have you encountered this number before?
>>
>>4000616
I certainly hope you're not saying you like "hidden clue games"
>>
>>4000894
Not him and I don't care for them personally, but my wife enjoys them and I think it's pretty great that the games are there for her and others who like them.
>>
>>4000894
i see for your second post you chose to go with being willfully obtuse. you can never go wrong with a classic.
>>
>>4000891
Ehh, I've never played Gone Home so I can't really say much about it and don't really care about everything that influenced it. It does sound like you're being reductive, but whatever.

And yeah, that is a number everyone should recognize. That book is more relevant now than ever in this world of reality TV>
>>
>>4000891

Starting the game in an eerily isolated location, trying to find out where everyone went.
>>
>>4000910
>It does sound like you're being reductive

demanding to be shown textual evidence for one work being inspired by another is not reductionist. gone home is just tony hawk pro skater but he lost his board, prove me wrong.

>a number everyone should recognize. That book

i'm not talking about the book. i'm talking about the number being a declaration of belonging to a specific design tradition that begun with system shock.
>>
>>4000915
that's present in system shock, the hotel in vtmb, the cradle.
>>
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/09/fullbright-on-the-games-gone-home-is-and-isnt-like/
>>
>>4000923
The reductive part was insisting the game was only influenced by one source. But again, though I've played Myst a long time back but not Gone Home and I don't care a whole lot so "whatever".

In the case of the number I didn't know what you were talking about. System Shock along with Bio also aren't games that ever interested me so I haven't played them either.
>>
>>4000932
>The reductive part was insisting the game was only influenced by one source.

a design tradition spanning a dozen or more games from the early nineties to right now is not one source. you're the one who reduced it to "just deus ex", not me. anyway, the point is not the number of sources, the point is whether you can meaningfully discuss gone home with relation to myst, and nobody itt seems to be able to do this.

>>4000927
this is interesting because they keep naming the wrong games but he just keeps responding "kind of, i guess", presumably to be nice. so with myst he's like "well our game is also mysterious" and then in the next line he admits to not knowing what actually happens in myst.
>>
>>4000054
Point and lick was already boring. This made it interesting and mysterious.
>>
>>4000963
>you're the one who reduced it to "just deus ex", not me.

By one source I meant one kind of game, as opposed to several kinds of games. But you're right in that I can't meaningfully discuss a game I haven't played. It still seems questionable that Myst had no influence at all, but again "whatever"
>>
Seems there is lots of hate being heaped on this game, for ruining this and that. It's all pretty stupid. It's a good, immersive game with a cool plot. It is also still pretty unique, I don't know how Myst can hold responsibility for games that play nothing like it - I certainly am not aware of any "clone" that are worthwhile.
>>
>>4000967
>Point and lick
>this will be a real genre within our lifetime
The future is bright
>>
>>4001003
>I certainly am not aware of any "clone" that are worthwhile

how about "drowned god", a surreal alien conspiracy game designed by a man who later committed a gruesome murder-suicide in which he savagely stabbed his sick wife, all their pets and his own penis before bleeding to death in their blood-soaked bedroom

i mean i haven't played it and it probably sucks but it's at least intriguing
>>
File: Personal%20Nightmare_1[1].png (7KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
Personal%20Nightmare_1[1].png
7KB, 320x200px
>>4000901
Your wife is a casual and so is mine she plays some game called "Cooking Fever" literally every day to get daily bonuses but she has little to no interest in even Cookin' Mama that might actually teach her the slightest bit about cooking.

>>4000902
I think you're just failing at your reading comprehension on my first post. I love point and click adventure games. Myst changed the formula by removing any danger or pressure whatsoever and its success changed the very definition of the genre.
>>
>>4000894
they arent that bad you faggot, good time waster games that can be easily digested
>>
>>3999898

It made CD-ROM drives a hot add-on for existing computers, and prompted manufacturers to make them standard going forward.

If MYST hadn't done it, some other game would have. But that doesn't mean MYST doesn't get the credit.
>>
>>3999898
>influence
Myst was an adventure game that influenced other adventure games, duh. Quite a few games came out with first-person prerendered slideshow graphics and were labeled "Myst clones". Not always true, but there are some clear examples like Schizm and Aura: Fate of the Ages. Of course games like the 7th Guest and Journeyman Project had already done first-person prerendered visuals, but Myst did a lot to help popularize it. Also, quite a few games took inspiration from Myst's aesthetic, with ornate railings and other "classic" style decorations such as in this pic:
>>3999947
>>
File: riven_boiler.jpg (202KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
riven_boiler.jpg
202KB, 1280x960px
>>4000158
Good post. It gets pretty annoying when some self-proclaimed adventure game fan acts like LucasArts and Sierra were the only games in the entire genre and anything that doesn't fit with their style is a bad one. There were first-person adventure games before Myst, and weird surreal adventure games before Myst--and as you said, in fact before most adventure games had graphics at all.
>>
>>4000894
The only thing they have in common is that they use point and click interface.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.