[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The approach of the Turok 1/2 remasters is to take the assets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: hqdefault[3].jpg (36KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[3].jpg
36KB, 480x360px
The approach of the Turok 1/2 remasters is to take the assets from the original game, put them in a new engine, give it enhancements like better draw distance, 60fps, etc. It gives it the look and feel of the orgiinal, but it has enhancements. Like emulation, but way better.

How would this work for other games? I really feel that if you were to take any random 3D platformer, give it 60fps and a fully rotational camera, it would be greatly improved even if you changed nothing else. A lot of the 3D games have camera and control issues. Even something like Mario 64 would be improved with a smooth scrolling camera (like in Sunshine) over the original camera controls.

Castlevania 64 and its sequel would immensely improve. They're almost great games. They have some nice ideas, but they're just not quite there. A remaster and tweaking could make them truly great.

So what game would you like to see tackled next?
>>
File: download (3).jpg (7KB, 286x176px) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
7KB, 286x176px
Recently played through Turok 2 remaster and was very impressed with the changes they made. Especially the option to have the N64 or PC soundtrack.

If I could pick any game it would be the original Blood on the build engine. Duke and Shadow Warrior are fantastic games that recieved some nice additions with the new releases. Why haven't we seen this fantastic game recieve the same pleasure?
>>
>>3995662

I've heard some forum post rumors that the Turok 1/2 remaster team is working on Blood in secret. No clue if that's true though. That'd be the perfect game to do as well.
>>
The approach of these remasters is to make empirical approximations.

People who play this have no standard at all. It's like playing on a Polystation rather than a Playstation.
>>
>>3995592
>So what game would you like to see tackled next?

I really, really REALLY don't want to see the Turok1&2 approach anymore.
>>
>>3995592
They could port Turok 3 and Rage Wars for PC and remaster them. They also could tackle Evolution, but if they do that, I really hope they remove those f****ing flying levels.
>>
>>3995734
>>3995718

Spotted the hipsters. Enjoy your 20fps N64 games with bad controls.
>>
Rage Wars would be pretty dope.
>>
>>3995718
As someone who has played Turok 2 when it came out on N64, I immensely enjoyed the Remaster.

>>3995870
>bad controls
No, the controls were objectively the best way you could do shooter controls on that controller.
I also never understood why you would want to aim with the right thumb that is usually only used to push buttons instead of the left one which has all the motor skill for precise movements (since precise aiming is, in my opinion, the most important thing in shooters).
>>
>>3995662
I wouldn't want to see this done to Blood. Blood's gunplay and gameplay balance are a lot deeper than most on this board would realise. I know Kaiser is working on BloodEX; personally I wish he'd drop the project.

I'll give you a simple example of why it already looks warped. There was a webm posted of the Tommy Gun being blasted, and it showed in the webm that it had pinpoint accuracy to the mouse's crosshair. That's already an indication of the weapon balance being blown. One key aspect of Blood is that for certain weapons you have to get closer to be effective with them and the Tommy Gun is one of those, due to its recoil. If however you have pinpoint accuracy with the Tommy from the distance, you'd have no reason to switch to a weapon you'd need for range (e.g. napalm launcher, flare gun or voodoo doll). You'd have no reason to get closer with it either.

That's just one example. There's no way he'd get the damage modeling or spread right for the shotgun, which shoots a shitload of shrapnel, another weapon you need to get close to be effective with. Relying on the stunning of the shotgun with primary fire to get closer to cultists and then blowing them away from near with the alt-fire is satisfying as hell.

This same philosophy applies to all the other weapons, the enemy AI, the modeling of enemy damage/health, etc, which all also affect your approach to Blood's ammo management, one of the most important things about the game. I just don't see this guy getting Blood's gameplay balance right. Hell he probably won't even be able to implement Caleb's random quips and laughs correctly, of which there are loads, and he'll undoubtedly miss many small details throughout the game that add to its atmosphere. Real fans have no problems with playing it on DOSBox. People this desperate for the Kaiser imitation are probably the same people that thought BloodCM wasn't a total piece of shit and actually recommended it over playing the real thing on DOSBox.
>>
>>3996028 continued

I mean, if you're a more casual fan of the game that plays on an easier setting where enemies die a lot faster, ammo management is not nearly as important and you just use alt-dynamite throws around corners for most cultist encounters, the points I've made will probably be lost upon you. I don't see how anybody who really loves Blood would want to play an imitation just for muh native 1080p widescreen but that's just me. And if you can't use DOSBox /vr/ is probably not the right board for you.

Btw there's a Blood java port being worked on that actually uses Blood's alpha code. According to the creator it is now accurate to the 1.0 retail version, and he will look for the differences from the latest version and implement them. If you want a 'port' that's a lot more accurate (albeit still not perfect - he can't even implement voxels apparently), and DOSBox hurts your pussy too much to play the real game, that's the one you should check out.
>>
>>3995718
>The approach of these remasters is to make empirical approximations.
Pretty much this. The nuances of Blood's gameplay are what makes it great, and those are very difficult to reconstruct. I don't want a pos imitation.
>>
>>3996036
>>3996028

Then act as a consultant to the dev team and get them to get the firearms right.
>>
>>3996028

>If however you have pinpoint accuracy with the Tommy from the distance, you'd have no reason to switch to a weapon you'd need for range

It should be that the tommy gun is the mid-range weapon while the shotgun is the close-range weapon
>>
>>3995592
The original four TR games would benefit from 60fps, perfect draw distance, and polished graphics. The iOS version of 2 looks really nice but the tiling on some of the graphics are terrible.
>>
>>3996345
See >>3996065

My interpretations would still just be interpretation, and even getting those interpretations 'correct' is by no means a guarantee. Two sources of error there. I don't want an empirical approximation even if it's based on my opinions. There's really no way it will be accurate (or 'accurate enough'), and I absolutely love just how it is. I therefore have no reason to try to imitate it and am happy to play the original game in DOSBox. Only port I'll want to play is one that's really based on the game's actual source code.
>>
>>3996383
>It should be that the tommy gun is the mid-range weapon while the shotgun is the close-range weapon
No. Blood has its own weapon balance and gameplay philosophy. Every FPS doesn't have to play like Doom, especially if it has 12 weapons, each with alternative firing modes (excluding the pitchfork). There are plenty of weapons to deal with enemies from from range.
>>
>>3996470
*Tommy Gun does have better range than shotgun btw (but it's still better to get closer with it while you're shooting to make the most of your bullets). It's better for that, as well as crowd control. However for much longer ranges you definitely want to pull out something like flare gun, napalm launcher, voodoo doll...
>>
>>3995950
>I also never understood why you would want to aim with the right thumb that is usually only used to push buttons instead of the left one which has all the motor skill for precise movements (since precise aiming is, in my opinion, the most important thing in shooters).

Because most people don't overthink every little thing and adapt quickly.
>>
>>3996470
>Every FPS doesn't have to play like Doom,

Yes they do.
>>
>>3995668
It's only Kaiser working alone because C&Ds bullshit.
>>
File: 1494075864270.png (127KB, 1230x283px) Image search: [Google]
1494075864270.png
127KB, 1230x283px
>>3996772
>>
>>3996028
So did you have any objections on Duke3D or Shadow Warrior?
>>
>>3996905
Why would I have a problem with real source ports? I use eduke32, quakespasm, yamagi q2, z/gzdoom and shadow warrior redux. If Blood had a real source port (i.e. not an imitation) I'd be using that, too.
>>
>>3995950
>No, the controls were objectively the best way you could do shooter controls on that controller.

But we are talking about Turok, not Perfect Dark.
>>
>>3996406

>There's really no way it will be accurate (or 'accurate enough'),

This isn't some magic. It's literally coding. We can reverse engineer the code and read what it says. It will give an exact mathematical formula for how weapons and enemies work. This can be reconstructed.
>>
>>3995813

Turok 3 would be nice, last I checked it didnt fare well on emulators
>>
>>3996982
>We can rebuild it
>Faster
>Stronger
>Better
>... but we don't have a lot of money
-Nightdive Studios
>>
>>3995813
>>3996994
But how would they do that? There's no PC port like Turok 1 or 2 to crib higher quality textures and sound from.
>>
>>3996994
I finished it with an emulator years ago. But I haven't played it on console, so who knows what was wrong with it. It seemed fine.
>>
>>3997007
They can just make their own recreations like they do for the programming.
>>
>>3996982
If they could do that fantastic but Kaiser admitted himself that most of his port would be an empirical approximation.
>>
>>3997027
*And like I said, it was plainly clear from the webm that the recoil on the tommy gun was not the same at all. It was a laser, totally accurate the mouse reticle. The only thing that webm showed was the tommy gun firing, too, so there was nothing else to judge. If tommy gun is off there's no reason the other weapons would be correct.
>>
>>3995592
>How would this work for other games? I really feel that if you were to take any random 3D platformer, give it 60fps and a fully rotational camera, it would be greatly improved even if you changed nothing else. A lot of the 3D games have camera and control issues. Even something like Mario 64 would be improved with a smooth scrolling camera (like in Sunshine) over the original camera controls.
I remember getting Wind Waker and being so amazed that I had full camera control in a Zelda game.
>>
>>3995592
Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi. It's a really charming game with a unique story and weapon array. The time limit and randomly generated castles also make it highly replayable. It could do with a remaster.
>>
>>3997007
There's a Doom 64 port around, why there couldn't be ports of Turok or any other N64 game. Perfect Dark and Goldeneye would be perfect for porting.
>>
You realize the Turok remasters were only possible because they found the PC source codes in an auction, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRqCU44XL24
>>
>>3998007
"you can't do anything useful with the source code", they said in the Starcraft thread
>>
>>3997957
PD already been ported to xbox 360
>>
>>3996850
Honestly I only said that in hope it'd bring him out cause I love that guy.
>>
>>3998062
>PD already been ported to xbox 360
So what? We are talking about PC porting.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.