[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think it's about time we had a dedicated Falcom threa

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 12

File: zKPwFl2.png (30KB, 408x385px) Image search: [Google]
zKPwFl2.png
30KB, 408x385px
I think it's about time we had a dedicated Falcom thread /vr/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLLJfjG211s
>>
Falcom's one of those developers that "gets it". Top shelf music, characters, gameplay... Love their games.
>>
>>3994141
what game is this?
>>
anyone try lord monarch? been wanting to give it a shot lately. What's the best version?
>>
>>3994182
brandish 3
>>
>>3994141
Her waist is way too thin.
>>
File: Lord Monarch.png (316KB, 1920x1191px) Image search: [Google]
Lord Monarch.png
316KB, 1920x1191px
>>3994195
I played it for a bit but didn't quite get it.
The Windows games let you play in high resolutions and with proper mouse controls so I'd guess those are the best.
>>
>>3994141
Shame all they do nowadays is pushing modern Kisekishit into all of their franchises, Tokyo Xanadu is a stain in the Xanadu family, at least Ys is more or less good.
Wish they'd do some modern Sorcerian or Vantage Master title, or a new Brandish game.
>>
>>3995479
How is Xanadu even a franchise? It's like every ten years they decide to release a game named Xanadu with no notable connection to the previous entries.
Ys has a continuity and LoH stands out as a turn based series.
DS at least made some sense as a general moniker for their fantasy titles.
>>
>>3994141
Thread ost:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHAY4KCL2Yg
Love that Falcom FM sound.
>>
>>3994141

Umbr turned me on to muscle girls in Anime, Manga & Vidya.
>>
>>3995520
>A FINE MARWNING MAH LARD.
it's a good thing they gave people the option to turn the voice acting off, it's also nice that the PC Engine version is this nice exclusive track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpJBjDtCWiA
>>
>>3994354
her tiny waist and bulging muscles make me horny
>>
>>3995631
How much voice acting did the PCE version have? I only played the MD one.
>>
>>3994363
it's pretty ugly compared to the genesis version though. check out the genesis version music too. very customized. music and graphics remind me of popful mail and shining force
>>
File: NP2_0174.gif (43KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
NP2_0174.gif
43KB, 640x400px
>>3995479
>Shame all they do nowadays is pushing modern Kisekishit into all of their franchises

Explain.

>Tokyo Xanadu is a stain in the Xanadu family

Eh, Tokyo Xanadu is pretty good and still better than spin-offs like Faxanadu. My only gripe with it is that it's inferior to any Kiseki story-wise and many Ys games gameplay-wise, and that it takes a long time for things to really get moving. There are very few interesting bosses or dungeons until over halfway through. The only thing about it that I can really say is excellent is the soundtrack.

>at least Ys is more or less good.

Ys VIII is my favorite game in the series (my previous favorite was Ys II). Something that is simply way above other Ys games and is one of the best modern masterpieces Falcom has ever released that can stand alongside with SC and Ao. A rare example of game that doesn't make you feel like you wasted your time playing it and evokes a genuine sense of adventure and discovery.

>Wish they'd do some modern Sorcerian or Vantage Master title, or a new Brandish game.

Oh sure, I'd love to see something dark and mature like Brandish, Dinosaur or Xanadu Next again, but that stuff doesn't sell. Hard to blame them.

>>3995520
>Love that Falcom FM sound.
>Posts redbook arrange

??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQGK89UI-R0
>>
>>3995806
Don't know for sure since I can't get past the first boss. But as soon as tthe gameplay begins you REALLY want to put it off https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLZqsmyHAFQ
>>
I wish the music Falcom composes today would sound as good as all the arranged stuff for their games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DliJT-b7zyI&list=PLzFTGYa_evXix_l-vDDSMjJ5qobhSNArT
>>
File: TQNY6YH.gif (48KB, 336x203px) Image search: [Google]
TQNY6YH.gif
48KB, 336x203px
>>3996182
Brandish PCE is a terrible, outsourced port that has the worst version of the soundtrack for some reason. Modern Sound Team jdk sounds way better than that and is still really good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0hJhrxIl7k
>>
I'm excited for the Brandish 2 PC-98 patch, the Legend of Xanadu I & II patches coming up, and translation for Dinosaur Resurrection, VM Japan, and Zwei!! II coming up. Hopefully someone will get around to Sorcerian Original.

>>3995847
I prefer the FM Towns soundtrack, but Lord Monarch MD looks nice. There's not much point in playing anything other than LM Online (since it's free and easy to set-up) and Monarch Monarch for isometric perspective and elevation.

>>3995510
Xanadu games (not all connected to classic Xanadu) coming out every ten or so years plays into a cycle. Falcom's employees did Legend of Xanadu, Xanadu Next, and now Tokyo Xanadu to basically summarize aspects and trends the company's been pursuing for a given era, after which they slowly but surely move on to a newer style for their games. There's always an element of letting something go right after, like when Yoshio Kiya (their most important director/programmer who made the Dragon Slayer series) left after Legend of Xanadu, or the shift away from spare but intriguing Brandish-like stories after Xanadu Next.

I'm not pleased with how Tokyo Xanadu's as close to its namesake as Nayuta no Kiseki (which is to say neither of them are), but Toxanadu still fits the Xanadu cycle in most ways.

>>3995781
Umber is too extreme for us mortals.

>>3996182
Modern jdk is pretty up to par with Yonemitsu arrangements while having more diverse sounds/styles because it's not all one person. Ys Seven through Nayuta no Kiseki are full of fresh ideas and some nostalgic tunes among the newer stuff.

That said, now I feel like posting a less frequent Ys II arrangement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJsFUuQZyWA
>>
>>3996582
lord monarch MD has a near complete english translation
>>
>>3996582
>Modern jdk is pretty up to par with Yonemitsu arrangements while having more diverse sounds/styles because it's not all one person
It may be more diverse but IMO they make it to rock-opera and the like which in turn makes it sound more cheesy
>>
>>3996115
>posts Redbook arrange
Heh, my bad. Thanks for the Perfect Collection link.
>>
>>3996165
The one in the mine? I think there's no way to avoid grinding since he casts silence.
>>
>>3994141
Does she transform into a bear? What's with the eyes?
>>
>>3994363
Ah. This game was hard and not as fun as I thought it would be. Every scenario was basically a palette swap of the same game.
>>
>>3998307
there is no main game? which version did you play.

can anyone explain the gameplay of lord monarch?
>>
>>3998086
I think, it's the guy in the first minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYqWS1LO7b8
>>
>>3995520
>>3995806
playing this as a kid, the voice acting was part of its charm, its ridiculous.
>>
>>3996781
Still waiting for a Sorcerian MD full patch since that version has unique scenarios.

>>3997721
More cheese can't hurt when it's been super cheesy since Ys started. I will say there's less unique experiments lately vs. soundtracks like Brandish 3 or Ao no Kiseki, but that's because Sound Team jdk's down to just two musicians right now. Tokyo Xanadu does a bunch of low-key stuff though.
>>
>>3998876
>Still waiting for a Sorcerian MD full patch since that version has unique scenarios.

i'll second that. always been sort of interested in sorcerian as well. ime everything falcom is atleast worth a play through
>>
>>3995781
she looks pretty normal right there, it's just the OP pic.
>>
>>3998876
>Still waiting for a Sorcerian MD full patch since that version has unique scenarios.
Don't most versions have unique scenarios?
http://tk-nz.game.coocan.jp/sorcerian/consumer/scenario/scenario2.html
You could justify learning Japanese just to play Sorcerian scenarios.
>>
>>3998876
>>3998479
The original versions don't seem cheesy to me, music or otherwise.
>>
File: legendofheroes.gif (18KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
legendofheroes.gif
18KB, 640x400px
>>3999076
PC88 or PC98?
>>
>>3999089
No difference between them. Both original Legend of Heroes games were made for PC-88 primarily, and the sequel in 1992 was the very last major PC-88 release by a J-PC developer.

>>3999025
You can get the PC expansions through Selected Sorcerian all for both PC-88 and Sharp X1, but only the base 15 on MSX2 and Fujitsu FM-7. All the console ports (MD, PCE CD, Dreamcast) have unique scenarios, and Sorcerian Forever adds 5 of its own which are included in Sorcerian Original alongside the base 15.
>>
>>3994141
Does Dawn of Ys count? That game is absolutely amazing even though it's by Hudson

Lately I've been trying all the Ys III ports. The x68000 version is the nicest looking one

I'm pretty excited for the Legend of Xanadu I and II translations coming out
>>
>>3999397

do any of the versions of ys3 have any content differences? I mean the older versions not any of the recent stuff
>>
File: 1406059991375.jpg (59KB, 919x720px) Image search: [Google]
1406059991375.jpg
59KB, 919x720px
>Legend of Heroes 2 will never be translated
>The Gagharv Trilogy will never have a good translation
>>
>>3999437
someone's gotta translate LoH2 eventually... right???
>>
>>3999420
They should all have the same dungeons, but bosses might be different. And the story's very similar between console ports, let alone PC versions.

>>3999437
I wouldn't worry. Gagharv will come towards the end of the current Falcom fan-patch wave, and Legend of Heroes II eventually (probably the PC-98 version if PCE CD's too hard to work with...but it shouldn't be).
>>
File: brandish4.jpg (119KB, 290x377px) Image search: [Google]
brandish4.jpg
119KB, 290x377px
Can anyone explain why the controls for this game were so fucking awful? It's not a like the keyboard/mouse combo was a new uncharted territory to figure out at this point in the 90s.
>>
>>3999448
pce cd translation projects are pretty popular right now. I could see it being eventually translated after they get through the heavy hitters
>>
>>3999484
There still hasn't been much released, the only ones I can think of are Xak 3 and Ys 4
>>
>>3999089
Anything that came before the 6th and latter gen relaeses
>>
>>3999506
xanadu 1 and 2 are due to be released soon. I think anearth fantasy stories will be next after that. emerald dragon is pretty far along as well
>>
>>3999521
couple of simpler chip games have been translated as well. valkyrie, shada, sunheart, gaia no monshou... I can't remember them all
>>
>>3999528
http://www.romhacking.net/?page=translations&genre=&platform=4&status=&languageid=12&perpage=20&title=&author=&transsearch=Go

http://www.romhacking.net/?page=translations&genre=&platform=5&status=&languageid=12&perpage=20&title=&author=&transsearch=Go

The earliest translation was SonSon II, a Black Tiger sequel by Capcom (1997)

Other early ones with Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Gekisha Boy and Super Daisenryaku
>>
>>3999420
they all play the same but the final boss's tactics differ between versions (fucking hard regardless of version)

If you play one you can play the others, they all have the exact same level designs, shop options and dialogue
>>
>>3999804
sunheart missing from that list
>>
>>3999385
>No difference between them
PC98 has double the resolution. It was a simultaneous development and not a simple transfer.
>>
>>3999521
They still haven't been released
>>
>>3995618
Please recommend me some /vr/ muscle girl games.
>>
>>4000423
Valis
>>
>>3995781
She's fine here, but her proportions are fucked in OP.
>>
>>4000423
Golden Axe
>>
>>4000548
>Valis
>muscle
>>
>>4000286
still, the scene is pretty hot right now
>>
>>3999472
>Brandish VT/4.

So that one has had like what....4 translation projects die on it?
>>
>>4000423
Muscle girls are pretty rare in games, and I hope other anons will add other suggestions.

Fighting games usually have tough girls (do Chun-Li or Rainbow Mika qualify?). Anyway Jun from Variable Geo series does.

Suikoden, with its huge cast, has room for beefy girls like Oulan or Ronnie Bell.

Taisen Hot Gimmick 4ever has the lovely Akiko Daimon. Tsukasa Jun sure knows how to make muscles sexy.

The problem with /vr/ games is that even knight and fighter ladies usually had the average slim body you'll see in anime.
>>
>>4000423
The Guts
https://vndb.org/v7998
>>
>>3996203
>that has the worst version of the soundtrack for some reason
I dissagree, but I do wonder how an arrengement from Ryo Yonemitsu on Brandish would sound.
>>
File: Ys.png (131KB, 656x518px) Image search: [Google]
Ys.png
131KB, 656x518px
It's been close to a decade since I last played Ys 1+2 and I want to play it again so I just "bought" the GoG release of Ys 1+2 but it has two different game mode and four different difficulty settings.

Which game mode and difficulty setting will give me most accurate /vr/ experience?
>>
>>4003306
Just go with normal difficulty

I went with diagonal movement, but that's not the old school way. Especially since you can't bump into enemies diagonally very well
>>
>>4003261
The PCE arrangements are pretty bad, especially Dela's theme. Take the Brandish soundtrack and imagine them being played with shitty synth trumpets from a generic Casio, put them in a room, and make them play the piano with their butt. That's what it sounds like -- HQ instruments that sound horrible with little variety, making all the songs sound like effing elevator music. The point of Brandish is that you're escaping from a dungeon -- it's supposed to be dark and/or mysterious, urging the player towards his final destination. Everything sounds like elevator music made on a Casio. Also, all of the secondary riffs or other little parts that went under the main melodies to all the songs DON'T EXIST; the arranger only made the main melody of each piece and then failed to add any of the little extra parts that made the tracks interesting instead of whole notes and stuff. Only two or three arrangements turned out okay, such as the Opening, Ancient Statue and Fortress.

The port itself is also the worst version of Brandish, mainly because the combat blows greatly. The premise of Brandish's battle system is that you can attack enemies that are moving *onto* the square in front of you. Now you can't attack them until they reach that very spot and start attacking you, making you trade a large amount of unnecessary blows. That's the entire combat system, and it sucks.
>>
>>4005521
What version do you recommend?
I normally try out all ports to see which style I enjoy the most but some aspects aren't obvious on a simple glance.
>>
Wasn't there some sort of legal scandal involving Bradish's opening theme? Something about it resembling a certain piece of classical music? I think that's why the earlier versions literally have a different song than the later one's for the intro. Am I remembering that right, or am I going crazy?

>>4005535

I'm not that guy, but I heard (but haven't played myself) that the PC-98 is the best.

Most people also feel that the PSP remake was pretty great too, although it makes a lot of people on this board feel dirty having to admit that.
>>
>>4006145
I doubt there was a scandal, but Falcom quietly had someone from the sound team compose a new opening which isn't a clear Concierto de Aranjuez rip-off.

The Dark Revenant's great, definitely an upgrade from the PC-98 original, though it doesn't play as fast (just a tad bit less responsive, too). New music and art's great, the Dela Mode floors are challenging and a worthy expansion, and it's got the best English script by far (also not going to suffer from reseller hell like the SNES release). I'd recommend starting with TDR, but PC-98 was how I first played through it and the experience was still more than worthwhile.
>>
>>4000423

>>3999593
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.