[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you feel about fake walls in games? Whether it be secret

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: hqdefault.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
How do you feel about fake walls in games? Whether it be secret walls in Wolfenstein 3D, bombable walls in Zelda, part of a ceiling or wall containing a missile expansion in Metroid, whatever.

Are they a good way to hide secrets in a game? Do you think they're fun to discover, or do you hate them since you're compelled to check every part of every wall?

What would you say is the right way to implement them, and can it be done well when no hints are given whatsoever that there's a secret in an area?
>>
>>3989578
Not vr but I feel like return to castle volfenstein did it well.
>>
>>3989578
I liked them earlier on in Wolf3D when it was something that made sense to check. You know, a big swastika flag, bit of wall 'guarded' by old armour or an otherwise symmetrical room with nothing across from a door

Eventually it got really shit with them and secret placement got more random. That was frustrating. I did enjoy the practice of putting a secret within a secret within another secret. Always made me feel like a clever boy for finding them.
>>
I hate them in JRPGs. It's like they expect you to attempt to walk into every wall just to see if you can. That's just tedious. At least put some kind of graphical indicator on the wall that you can walk through it, that way they can pretend they're testing your observational abilities.
>>
>>3989578
They can sometimes be tedious but I miss them when they're not there.
>>
>>3989578

I've always liked them fine in 2D Metroid games because they seem to fit there. The tile-based world makes it seem natural for there to be passages in some places where the tiles are weak or hollow or whatever, and there can be clues that aren't super obvious but that still at least exist.

Checking every wall in a 3D game is crap though. If the secret is not very important or there's a good clue then I guess I'm okay with it.

If a 3D game were still tile-based, like Minecraft I guess, then it would make more sense. I mean Wolfenstein 3D had square tiles for walls but they were big ones, not little ones like in Metroid... it's not the same thing. In 3D games where everything is just another 3D model that could have any arbitrary shape, you don't naturally think of walls as being made of smaller pieces that could be removed, so these secrets don't fit in quite as naturally and you just really need to be given at least a small clue.
>>
I like the idea of secret rooms, fake walls work as well.
But you've gotta give it a hint somehow.
Be it just saying that they exist, making something subtle to the wall itself or having an item that hints to it. Like a dog that sniffs hidden passages or a radar that shows that within that area there's a secret.
I hate having to walk around hugging every single wall because it's up to luck.
>>
>>3989693
In FFV there was a thief skill that let you see hidden passages you could get pretty early.
>>
Either give a way to detect them or make them obscure entirely optional bonus rooms.
>>
>>3989693
FF4 was actually really good when it came to secret passages and the like. I dont even really like the game, but it handled this aspect of design better than probably any other game I've played.
>>
>>3989872
Agreed. I remember just running around every single level of Wolfenstein 3D "humping walls".
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.