[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Grabbed up by resellers nationwide within hours - often minutes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 6

File: NES-classic.png (163KB, 900x500px) Image search: [Google]
NES-classic.png
163KB, 900x500px
>Grabbed up by resellers nationwide within hours - often minutes - of release
>Never restocked in any significant capacity.
>Discontinued after six months.

Will history look back on this thing as a failure?
>>
>>3985926
History won't remember this shitty, glorified emulation machine.
>>
>>3985926
Never saw one for sale, never saw one in person, don't know anybody who got one.
I mean what was the point?
>>
>>3985930

I knew people who wanted one, but they were all bought immediately by resellers who camped out in front of stores in literal tents. They then put them on Craigslist and EBay for $200+ and nobody I know is stupid enough to pay that.

It actually pisses me off pretty bad, if I managed a store that sold these i'd tell obvious resellers to fuck off and only sell them to kids
>>
Is the emulation even good?
>>
>>3985926
Who cares?

This thing was built for normies. Anyone into retro games knows about emulators, or flashcarts and has already played these games.

It's strictly for normies and retard collector-fags. Neither of which should concern you.
>>
>>3985926
>Will history look back on this thing as a failure?
Nobody with a brain cares about this piece of shit.
>>
>>3985938

Doesn't matter, these are shelf decoration for oh-so-quirky nrrrrd grrrrlz to elicit more Twitch donations with.

I'd bet half the people who bought these have never even plugged them in.
>>
>>3985936
Wait, how much was this thing? Those dollar store Genesis/Megadrive knockoffs were only $40 and had ten more games at least, plus the cart slot a year or two ago. The only person I know who I saw show interest in this thing was a total idiot who already owns an actual NES and all those games, yet still was "super hyped" for this little box thing.
>>
>>3985940
An emulation box that outputs 240p is a nice thing. That's why the Wii is so cool. The Wii being cool is also why this doesn't interest me, I already have one. The NES one of the consoles I don't have and emulate.
>>
>>3985926
Is it possible Nintendo looks at it like "people keep scalping our system. We are not willing to invest the amount of money it would take to out supply the scalpers"

Would it be worth it to saturate the market with them?
>>
I would never buy one as I prefer playing on the original hardware and already have most of the games that interest me. Still gets me pissed thinking about those asshole resellers. They've made a business out of ruining the experience for people who actually care. They don't contribute anything to gaming culture or society in general.

>>3985940
Those are the same scalpers who bulk-buy old collections, which players can't do for financial reasons or because they own half the lot already anyway, hoard them for years and then sell them off individually for horrendous prices. You should care.
>>
Look at this shit. This should be illegal, whether you want one or not.

Nintendo handled that situation very, very poorly. If anything, they were the failure, not the product.
>>
>>3986002
Yes, I'm European. No, at no point did I imply government intervention. Where the hell did you even get that idea?

I explicitly criticized Nintendo. Last time I checked, the were a company with ample playroom to react to such incidents, not a governmental body.
>>
It accomplished exactly what it was meant to accomplish which was pumping brand awareness in preparation for Switch.
>>
>>3986008
>No, at no point did I imply government intervention.
>This should be illegal
Duuude
>>
timeless and priceless,but in this case the later
>>
>>3986019
It's a fixed expression. Are you autistic?

>"Fans petition government to criminalize bulk-buying of video game merchandise!"
>>
>>3986002
Rampant speculation hurts the overall economy and the people of a nation. Happened in the 20s. Happened in the 90s. Adam Smith was a cuck. Frederick the Great of Prussia, a strong and far superior nation to our own USA would have never allowed this.
>>
>>3985998
Supply was so limited that most stores only got allocated two or three Minis to sell.

How the fuck did these scalpers get so many?
>>
>>3986051
Lot of free time because they're jobless leeches who have no beneficial effect on the world
>>
>>3986051
>>3986056
Scalpers are the worst sort of poors. Too lazy to work a productive job so they snatch up kids toys when stores open to sell to manchildren online for a markup.
>>
>>3985938
It's pretty bad compared to the free emulators available at your fingertips. Audio distortion, input lag, visual noise, etc.
>>
File: smugeggman.jpg (39KB, 218x204px) Image search: [Google]
smugeggman.jpg
39KB, 218x204px
>>3985926
I don't understand why people are obsessed with these things. Yeah, they look cute and come from Nintendo but you can do so much better for the price. Just grab some old desktop off CL or Ebay, a DS4 and install Lakka, it'll run circles around an NES Mini & any Pi unit.
>>
>>3985998

Look, I think its really dumb to be hype over a shitty emulation box...but you have to admit these scalpers are evil.

Why the hell didn't stores put limits on purchases?
>>
why the fuck does nintendo do shit like this. they create demand by making a small amount of units and then just discontinue it. this could have been a goldmine for them
>>
>>3986272

>DS4

Fuck that controller. Otherwise, I agree.
>>
>>3986272

>it's cute and little

I mean, that's the appeal of both this and the Pi. Everyone knows a giant computer will be more powerful and functional, but in the normal world aesthetics matter.

Like, there is no functional reason to purchase a VW Beetle, because everything it does can be done better by a cheaper car. But people buy them all the time because they like how they look.

I have a Pi because I like how it's an itty-bitty computer and I'm not an autist who thinks only in numbers, efficiencies, and metrics.
>>
>>3985998
That kind of regulating should be put onto the shoulders of the retailers, honestly.
But I doubt either the retailers nor Nintendo would really care. If they sell, they sell doesn't matter by who and in what quantities. Whatever happens afterwards they don't really care about.
>>
>>3986279
They'll probably sell a "Nintendo Classic Mini" package on the Switch, that has all the games the Mini has, but without having the actual Mini.
>>
>>3986279
An artificial shortage generates a lot of publicity. I don't know if this is what's occurring here but it seems possible.
>>
>>3986301
>>3986279

There may have been a shortage but you have to admit scalpers weren't helping.
>>
Me and my bf have so much fun playing :D
>>
>>3986064
Lol yep pretty much
>>
>>3985938
I have one and its pretty darn good. I also have the original nes
>>
>>3986279
>why the fuck does nintendo do shit like this. they create demand by making a small amount of units and then just discontinue it. this could have been a goldmine for them
It drove up the value of their brand in the months before their new console launched. The mini didn't need to make any money at all.

Basically it was just a 3 month long commercial where the media jumped in and celebrated "we love Nintendo! If only there was more Nintendo in our lives!" They drop a nostalgia bomb and convince a newer younger generation that the brand is something special, something you can tell your friends about on social media.

>regretfully the mini-NES are all gone
>on unrelated news why not check out our hot new Nintendo Switch console?
>>
>>3985926
How would it be a failure if they sold every unit?
>>
>>3985926
A rousing success
My brother wanted one but couldnt get one, but now hes got himself a switch.
Before that his newest dedicated game console was a ps2
>>
>>3985926
It's funny how triggered everyone gets about these things here.

THEY ARE NOT FOR YOU.

They're for fucking 40 year olds who grew up playing NES and don't even know what emulation is/don't want to faff around with it. For them, it's a good value to just go to the store, buy the little NES, and play some fucking Zelda like they did when they were a kid.

NOT EVERYTHING IS FOR YOU.
NOT EVERYONE CARES ABOUT MUH ACCURACY, MUH INPUT LAG.

It blows my mind that Nintendo discontinued it. They do some weird shit.
>>
>>3986026
>It's a fixed expression.
Holy shit the mental gymnastics you're doing must be exhausting.

>>3986042
Simple supply & demand is not at all equivalent to what you're talking about. Still, government has no business regulating transactions between two consenting parties. This leaves room for abuse and corruption which is an unavoidable fact.
>>
File: 1486390763485.jpg (33KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
1486390763485.jpg
33KB, 636x358px
>>3986358

And yet that casual 40 something never did get it, mostly because resellers got to it first and then resold it to stupid Nintendrones who were willing to drop 200-300% more the cost

It's one thing to scalp, it's another if you have legions of people willing to pay the mark up (Which they do)
>>
>>3986374
The Amiibo thing awhile back taught scalpers who were not even big on Nintendo that you can buy something for $12.99 and then resell it for 3X-4X the purchase price. Amiibo created a who new problem which then made NES Classics get scalped and sold out, Zelda Special Editions (and other special editions that were Nintendo related) and most of all, The Switch.

The future is fucked

..... and Ebay loves it.
>>
>>3986389
Yeah but the amiibo fad died down eventually. I thought the same would happen with the Nes Mini eventually but then Nintendo just went and axed the whole product.
>>
>>3985945
$60 retail. I mostly only ever saw them available via Gamestop's website bundled with a bunch of other shit, though. They still sold out.
>>
>>3986442

What is it about Nintendo that makes people go so apeshit over their products?
>>
>>3986446
They're fun?
>>
>>3986446
Fun, nostalgia, etc. Speaking as a Nintendofag myself.
>>
>>3986446
Decades of making really good video games. They've been making toys and videogames longer than any company in existence. (Ignoring That walking husk that is SEGA)
>>
>discontinues a 60 dollar product
>will release the next product at a rumored price of 90 dollars

I don't think they love money, I think they just like money and may have been expecting diminishing returns from rising costs of continuing to manufacture the NES Mini.

Anyways, thanks for the free loads of dosh normies, or whoever is crazy enough to pay more than 200 bucks for this shit when you can just buy an HDMI famiclone for about the same price and with a bunch more games (and throw in a few more you can get a good multicart with all those RPGs Youtube told you to play!).
>>3986389
>and most of all, The Switch.

The supply and demand for the Switch was nowhere near the demand for the Wii. Not even a day after the midnight release the prices plummeted.
>>
>>3986458
They got Sega beat by a full 50 years when you count their playing card origins.
>>
>>3986470
>The supply and demand for the Switch was nowhere near the demand for the Wii. Not even a day after the midnight release the prices plummeted

Could have fooled me. I still can't find a Switch in stores.
>>
>>3986473
>when you count their playing card origins.

Did you know?
>>
I have no idea how scalpers managed to buy so many.

Stores here wouldnt let you buy more than 1.
>>
>>3986480
>I have no idea how scalpers managed to buy so many.

Ever worked a day in your life? Ever wondered how food gets on your plate?
>>
The great Nintendo of old died with the purple lunchbox.
>>
>>3986507
I agree with this.
>>
File: Nintendo-Power-Lunchbox.jpg (220KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo-Power-Lunchbox.jpg
220KB, 1600x1200px
>>3986507
>>
>>3986370
>government has no business regulating transactions between two consenting parties.
Do you want slave trade and gross violation of human rights? Because that's how you get slave trade and gross violation of human rights. Humans are shit and the magic market won't be able to fix that.
>>
>>3986507
Do you mean the Gamecube?

>>3986482
I think he meant physically being able to acquire them, rather than being able to afford them.
>>
>>3986507

This.

>>3986652

I don't think he cares. As long as he can afford a couple and he's not the one being slaved.
>>
>>3986838

Yes, he's talking about the Gamecube. Personally, I think the DS was their last good console, but for mainline hook-em-up-to-yer-telly shit the GCN is the end of the line.
>>
>>3986852
I liked the machine. I think it's sad that it wasn't as successful as it could have been - it meant it had less developer attention than it deserved.

It still had some good games though. I think it has the definitive Monkey Ball (I tried the PS2 version and the lack of that octo-ring around the stick meant I kept falling off things).

In fact I think the GC controller is my favourite one ever.
>>
>>3985930
this, as far as i am concerned it never existed
>>
>>3985936
Good thing you dont own a business. Your personal feelings would run it into the ground
>>
>>3986873
>Selling 100 units to a reseller is more profitable than selling 100 units to 100 people
Do you also think time-shares are a great investment?
>>
The only person I know who cared about this thing was my super normie boss who seemed to think that it took NES carts.
>>
>>3985926
>Cynical, no effort cashgrab banking off nostalgia and the retro craze that flew off the shelves before they could even be stocked

Unless nintendo planned on somehow selling even more than what they produced I don't see how the NES mini could be perceived as anything other than a perfect success.

>>3985938
Good enough for casual users, but if you're the type of person to care about accuracy to any extent beyond "it just werks", then no.
>>
>>3986026
no, the fixed expression is "there oughtta be a law"
>>
>>3986272
most people don't know or care about that
they go "oh cool I liked that game and that game when I was younger, maybe I should buy this"
of course the scummy resellers killed most of that market, but that's a different matter
>>
>>3986896
He outright said he would withhold sale from a more than willing buyer in the hopes a child could come get one. Don't be silly, anon
>>
>>3985926
Why would it be considered a failure? Sold like hot cakes and was basically a huge advertisement, which evidently worked.
>>
>>3986652
How exactly do you have "slave trade and gross violation of human rights" "between two consenting parties". Are you so retarded that you think people actually willingly sold themselves as slaves without any third party? wew lad.
>>
>>3985926
Nintendo doesn't have infinite manufacturing resources and they released 2 new systems in the past 2 months. What do you want?
>>
>>3987202
What else did they release besides the switch?
>>
>>3986449
>>3986453

Lots of game companies are fun. Otherwise they wouldn't be in business. Why does Nintendo get extra special attention though?
>>
>>3986838
>I think he meant physically being able to acquire them, rather than being able to afford them.

Well people that work in retail know about the NES minis too. That's what I was trying to imply.
>>
The only mistake Nintendo made was not charging more for these. Nintendo only made these to have something to sell for christmas. It wouldn't make sense for them to keep this on the shelves at it $60 because it's a much better deal than buying those games on the virtual console.
>>
It wouldn't have been a problem past the first month if Nintendo would have actually stocked more of the fucking things in stores. Instead they sent out a limited initial shipment and sat with their thumbs in their asses for six months before saying "oh by the way we're discontinuing this product despite the overwhelming demand for it."

They pissed away a golden opportunity for free money. I don't know of any other company that would say no to such easy profit.
>>
>>3987652
This is reddit btw.
>>
I own 3 of them. One I got preordered as a Christmas present. But I didn't get it until two months after Christmas. I modded it and me and my wife have fun playing games I would never pay the money people want like Felix the Cat, Little Samson & Contra Force. I then heard on a podcast that Nintendo was discontinuing them. The next morning we drove around and called all the Targets in Denver. I'd call the store and they said they had ten in stock. Literally five minutes later I would be purchasing the last one. It was crazy. But now I have two extra ones I will never open. Yes these will be highly sought after collectors items. I'm not trying to get rich or anything. But people who say they won't be worth shit are just mad they couldn't get one. I paid retail for these. There's no way you won't make some type of profit. I'll probably just trade them for something. In fact I'd trade one now for a copy of Haunting Ground or Rule of Rose for PS2.
>>
>>3985936

i receive deliveries for a store and it's impossible to tell apart "obvious resellers" from anyone else

everyone that bought one was your typical neckbeard. no way to know if he's gonna resell it or not

all the ones we got in sold out within literally an hour of me receiving them

when this fucking NES classic came out i was getting calls constantly from customers wanting the damn thing. i'm glad it's discontinued cos now they'll stop phoning asking for it (although now they're asking for the Switch every day)
>>
>>3985926
Nah, history will just look back at Nintendo shit being nothing more than reseller fodder
>>
>>3987353
Those other companies aren't as fun as you think they are.
>>
>>3986548
Mario, that's not how you hold the controller

>>3986507
Agreed.
>>
>>3987801
Get ready for those SNES Minis this Christmas.
>>
>>3987864
So they too can be sold out in minutes, never restocked, and discontinued in 6 months.

I swear to god it's time for Reggie to go. NoA needs someone in place who actually WANTS their company to make money.
>>
>>3987869
Yeah, I'm sure it'll be a bitch getting one, just like the NES mini. I'm preordering this time. I snagged a NES mini but I had to buy a shitty bundle that came with a Skyward Sword backpack.
>>
>>3987323
New 2DSXL
>>
>>3987864
Won't happen, not with the snes releases to the virtual console recently
>>
>>3987941
Well, it wasn't released, just announced.

That said, they surely are manufacturing them on a large scale, so I guess the point still stands
>>
>>3987875
>implying the place you'll pre-order it will save it for you instead of selling it to scalping resellers
You know that's gonna happen anon.
>>
>>3988103
The NES mini was easily available for preorder at Amazon. With all the hype and the bullshit distribution though I guess we won't be so lucky with the SNES mini, unless Nintendo drastically changes their approach.
>>
>>3988096
Yeah, it's like Nintendo hates money sometimes.
>>
>>3988121
They won't. They've been solidly into this undersupply-to-hype strategy since the Wii.
>>
>>3987858
>y-you didn't actually have fun
>my family friendly console with tons of easy platformers and JRPGs is where the real fun was at!

Yeah ok.
>>
>>3988370

Every time you lie your penis gets smaller. The NES classic was a limited edition, it sucks they didn't tell anyone that right at the beginning, but I'm going to have to slap you in the face with my dick if you say that the Switch is undersupplied. It sold more in it's first month than PS4 did.
>>
>>3988623
Well, I mean, it WAS under supplied at first. How do you think scalpers were able to scalp it?
>>
>>3988623
>every time you lie your penis gets smaller
Holy shit, I'm gonna lie SO fucking much now
>>
>>3988623
I visit all the stores around me weekly looking for a Switch. They're all always sold out.
>>
>>3988623
>Nintendo assumes it wont sell like hotcakes
>plan it to be limited edition
>people buy the everloving shit out of it
>too bad we cant change our minds and make more of them
They want to sell the shit on VC is all. probably costs significantly less in mfg, shipping, hassle ect. selling them at 5-10 bucks a pop
>>
>>3985976
>Would it be worth it to saturate the market with them?
They couldn't even maintain a 1 day supply on the shelves how can they saturate?
>>
File: eightiesnerd.jpg (56KB, 584x576px) Image search: [Google]
eightiesnerd.jpg
56KB, 584x576px
>>3986479
This is my favorite new meme.

I think it's entertaining when little kiddos read something they didn't know on the Internet, google it because it must obviously be bullshit, get mad when it's true, and then feel the need to post passive-aggressive le danko meemeeyz because they feel stupid and embarrassed for not knowing something.

>Did you know?

lel
>>
What would be the best retro console for me?

I hate pokemon games.

I hate the legend of zelda games.

I hate difficult games.

I hate violent games

And I only play video games rated E For Everyone (K-A Kids To Adults) in the ESRB
>>
>>3989016
You forgot to mention that you're of a Christain household and want games without violence.
>>
>>3989026
I just do not like violent games.

And besides, I do not like Nintendo at all.
>>
>>3989016
Atari
>>
>>3985936
Had a manager at the Wal-mart I work at and she camped the line till they came out, her and her husband bought 2 or 3 out of the 10 we had on launch night just to resell them.
>>
>>3989031
You also forgot to mention that your society shuns electricity, as it is decadent and of the English.
>>
>>3986548
I had that lunchbox, but mine was red.
>>
>>3989097
a girl at my walmart just hid 2 of the 3 we got out back and then bought both of them for her (adult) son
>>
>>3985926
Why don't they just make more of these? If they instantly sold out wouldn't you order another batch to literally print money? You could double the retail price too and go full jew.
>>
>>3989150
>whole thread about why don't they just make more of these
>don't they just make more of these
Reminds me of the pope and the rabbi joke
>>
>>3985940
Even though you sound like a horses salt lick, i agree with everything you said. Why the fuck should vr care about a shit tier nes emulator that was a blatant cash grab and horribly produced and sold. Nintendo could have made so much money from that thing, but nintendo is fucking retarded. Like you say, anybody interested in retro games either emulates these games, has already played them to death or own them. Its the non vidya people who remember these nes games that were going to buy them, if they were on the shelves at walmart, but resellers are just as cancerous as femenism.
>>
>>3987869
How the fuck are people suppose to deal with resellers? There needs to be better communication and regulations on who is buying things. Its not just video games, its concerts and sporting events, its invading everything. Scalper, resellers whatever the fuck you want to call them, they are pieces of shit and ruin alot of shit for alot of people.
>>
>>3986051
>>3986276
they did, what scalpers do is they pay retired/unemployed/old chinese grandmas like $20-$40 to wait in line for them so they can resell.

totally not hard.
>>
>>3987869
how daft are you to think that it isn't Japan calling the shots

NOA literally has zero say in any of this
>>
/vr/ calling business sense belongs in the cringe thread
>>
>>3986301
>An artificial shortage generates a lot of publicity.

That's a good tactic if you're then going to ramp up production to satisfy everyone that has been desperately waiting for one, but to just discontinue the product all of a sudden before you can cash in on the demand is idiotic and is exactly what Nintendo did.
Thread posts: 118
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.