[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /vr/. Redherb me on tank controls: why do modern gamers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: u-ded.gif (493KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
u-ded.gif
493KB, 500x375px
Hey, /vr/. Redherb me on tank controls: why do modern gamers hate them so much?
>>
>Redherb me on tank controls

That was cute.
dont ever say that again
>>
>>3983056
>modern gamers

This has nothing to do with it.

Retards who can't into perspective and 3D space have always been the problem.
>>
>>3983056

In cinematic horror games built around fixed camera angle you need a uniform sense of direction. You can't keep having to reoriant yourself while try to do stuff especially if there are monsters present.

There not without problems but if the game is built to accommodate them like RE and so many others are then they shouldn't be an issue

>why do modern gamers hate them so much?

Because they expect every game to be a fast paced action DMC combo fest.
>>
>>3983056
I dunno, they're either unwilling to adapt to the rules of the game or they're parroting said unwilling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7307qRmlMI

This is a very interesting talk regarding camera controls. I'd recommend a listen.
>>
>>3983139
>>3983056
>Because they expect every game to be a fast paced action DMC combo fest.

Wrong.
It's because modern developers make games that do not accomodate to tank controls, even if they use it.

Every part of game design should work properly with one another, but modern dev's think they can take a part of oldschool game design without accomodating for it in the other areas to give their game an "oldschool vibe" - that obviously does not work.
>>
>>3983056
>that pic
What a dark souls ripoff.
>>
>>3983056

Because they are not common, thus old, yet such controls are new for them.

Remember that most modern gamers are from the PS3 / Xbox 360 era.
>>
>>3983056
Because youngsters have grown up with marionette controls where the player-character plays out an un-interruptible sequence on every button press. This is a side-product of new developers on new systems not being able to refine their bone and animation systems enough.
>>
File: facepalm-ascii.jpg (18KB, 229x237px) Image search: [Google]
facepalm-ascii.jpg
18KB, 229x237px
>>3983056
>Redherb me
>>
>>3983056

Because modern dual-stick controls are objectively better, giving you more control over the position and orientation of your character and the camera.
>>
>>3983056

THere's a standardization and homoginization of controls now. Fully rotational camera, that sits behind the character. In many ways, there is an advantage to this. However, it does mean that different styles of camera and control are too alien for modern games. They can't get into it.

The "tank controls" were a requirement of the 2D backgrounds, which were in turn required to give RE the best graphics possible at the time. 2D backgrounds and 3D characters was a great way to use the most out of the system. But it's led to problems later.

Interestingly, if Capcom had saved the environment graphics, they could have made fully 3D versions of the RE games with modern camera options if they wanted to. But sadly, those background assets are lost forever.
>>
>Redherb me

I like this and I hope it sticks.
>>
>>3983901
only if its a mockery of the other phrase.
>>
>>3983056
Nigga please, everyone hated them.
>>
>Redherb

OP, admit that you just thought of that and this thread/question were simply an afterthought used to put it on display.

In any event, to answer the question, because it is different from what they're used to, and/or they're just parroting what they believe to be common knowledge ("Ew, tank controls, am I right?"). I'm sure many gamers were able to figure them out when the games were current.

I managed just fine with them when I was still a pre-teen, so I'm sure a teenager or an adult can figure out tank controls.
>>
>>3983948
>OP, admit that you just thought of that and this thread/question were simply an afterthought used to put it on display.

Yeah, we all feel that don't we? :P
>>
>>3983056
I think they're fine. The first Devil May Cry shows how incredibly annoying regular controls can be when you have fixed camera angles in your game. They're good for the horror genre as they can elevate a stressful or high tension situation and they prevent the player from simply running past all enemies, mitigating their presence all together. If your brain can't adjust to them in the first 30 minutes of playing then you might legitimately have brain problems.
>>
Tanks controls have always been shit, even before "modern gamers" had any kind of expectation of control schemes for 3D games. They were a crude stopgap to control 3D movement using control surfaces that had been designed for 2D movement. The only place they have is if you're controlling an actual tank.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.