[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come no one is preserving PC releases? Look no further than

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 2

File: keine.png (284KB, 394x465px) Image search: [Google]
keine.png
284KB, 394x465px
How come no one is preserving PC releases? Look no further than MS-DOS, it's a complete mess.
>>
>>3982219
>How come no one is preserving PC releases?
That is literately (not the meme, kiddo) the most well preserved platform as far as gaming is concerned. The only thing of note that is lost is many of the late50s to 60s and some 70s mainframe games.
>>
Lots of people are, it's just that it pretty much has the largest amount of games since it's an open platform and everything. 90s Mac kinda suffers the same issues
>>
>>3982228
I've never seen a place with a proper release like, let's say, darkwater is doing for the Sega Saturn. It's always a bunch of random sites on the web with dubious files.
>>
>>3982243
Why would there be?
>>
>>3982219
>>3982228
I think he meant collecting boxes and shit to shill. OP wants to shill.

>>3982243
>Proper release
So you want to get jewed nintendo style? Fuck off.
>>
>>3982243

eXoDOS Collection v2.0 369 GB

You want a nice exodos.zip download from doperomz.org or something?
>>
>>3982243
>darkwater is doing for the Sega Saturn
REDUMP is the current hotness for Saturn releases, darkwater is considered old and low-quality now. Hell, the darkwater sets are free-leech on pleasuredome.
>>
Anything you could want to play for MS-DOS is on the web. There's a limit to how officially you can preserve this stuff. Abandonware is still technically under copyright.
>>
>>3982219
Please.

If you want to see a real mess, look at PPC era mac games.
Fucking loads of it has seemingly disappeared off the face of the planet.
>>
>>3982228
Wrong.
>>
>>3982219
Because if one kid on the internet isn't aware of something it doesn't exist?
There are tons of people involved in this.
>>
>>3982274

Darkwater is low-quality specifically because they tailor their releases to "If it runs fine in the emulator it's a good dump." . That's not preserving the games, that's preserving someone's approximation of them.
>>
>>3982318
This, there are countless shareware and edutainment titles from the 90s MAC era that have no trace of existence on the Internet.
>>
>>3982228
there are a ton of weird bargain bin pc games I played as a kid that I can only find scant traces of on the web.
>>
I find games all the time at thrift stores I can't find a webpage for or maybe if im lucky a page or 3. alot of games are just outright disapearing.

Hell go dig thru some old msdos file archives or bbs archives and look up a bunch of those games.

even better ...good luck finding pages and pages of old bbs door games covered in nearly any detail past a few vids of people playing and a few old geoshitty pages on web archives about it.
>>
It would be pretty cool to see some of these undocumented games if people own any
>>
>>3982219
>How do you go from this...
>to THIS?

JUST
>>
>>3982219
>MS-DOs

Yea, it's a mess. So called "abandonware" sites host some rips of game installs instead of actual ISOs. Often those games are incomplete or it's difficult to tell apart what files were part of the original game and what are cracks or other added files. Torrents are just the same in that regard. Also most abandonware sites are afraid to host high-profile games such as id or LucasArts titles fearing lawyers on their asses.
>>
>>3982282
>there's no problem preserving 1990s console titles accurately
>yet there's a problem preserving 1990s DOS games accurately because "muh copyright"

If there's NoIntro sets of Nintendo catalogs despite their hostility towards independent emulation, then why would there be much of a problem with DOS titles?
>>
>>3982318
>it has seemingly disappeared off the face of the planet.

Not that the games themselves were ever anything physical anyway. They were just long strings of "low"/"high" symbols encoded in various ways in a microscopical scale.
>>
Instead of whining you all should contribute to preservation projects like redump or trurip by ripping your collection.
>>
>>3984963

This. There are projects out there aiming to do exactly this shit. People simply don't want to get off their asses and contribute, they want someone else to do all the work for them while they enjoy all the benefits.
>>
/tv/ here, you have no idea how good vidya has it.
>>
>>3985007
This too.

I can't find any of my favorite cartoons in anything better than shitty 480p TV rips, or highly compressed CD rips.
Some of them are even as low as 144p (Namely Evil Con Carne and Ed, Edd, and Eddy)

I'm also kinda pissed because I bought Code Lyoko on itunes, and then itunes lost their distribution rights, SO I CAN'T FUCKING DOWNLOAD CODE LYOKO ANYMORE!
I eventually found a torrent with pretty decent quality, but about half of season 4 is in french!
>>
>>3985041
>Evil Con Carne and Ed, Edd, and Eddy
I used to watch these some times with my kids. I did like them. But I have to say. Nothing of value was lost.
>>
>>3987074
I mean, I can kinda agree with you on Evil Con Carne.
I really was just looking for it to rewatch it, since the last time I had seen it was a decade ago.

I do really like Ed, Edd, and Eddy though, and wish there was actually a collection of them in decent quality.
>>
>>3987309
Edit: HOLD ON A FUCKIN MINUTE
They're on iTunes now!
That's new. The only legal way you could get Ed, Edd, and Eddy legally for a long time was just a old DVD of season 1.

Still though, fuck itunes. I'm not about to pay for DRM'ed shows again that up and disappear with no warning.
>>
>>3985041

That's also true, but I was referring to how many old movies and TV shows literally do not exist anymore. They're gone forever and nobody will see them again.
>>
>>3987327
Yeah. It's crazy how much stuff slips between the cracks.
>>
We should create a religion based on preserving old video games.
>>
>>3987390

Spoony can be our egomaniacal holyman. He probably doesn't bathe that much, and would consent to live in a cave if paid.

He's scribble crazy shit on the walls for free.
>>
as far as older games go TheIsoZone has almost every notable PC game, and 3D Shooter Legends has well maintained archive of shootan games

there are also huge torrents with collections of DOS games
>>
>>3987406

*He'd scribble
>>
>>3987410

No, it does not. Shut the fuck up and quit shilling it, Jamb0.
>>
>>3987415
So what kind of game archive do you expect for PC games? With every single garbage shareware game from the cover disks that barely work even when you run them on virtual machine? And people are still finding old games never seen on the modern internet before in their attic and uploading them to the internet for preservation.
>>
>>3987316
Then it'll be on pirate bay shortly
>>
>>3987430

I expect one that does not proactively do Big Media's dirty work for them. Try finding anything Square-Enix on the site, for example. I believe all EA and LucasArts shit was removed too, if memory serves.

But who am I kidding, it's all an elaborate ruse for you to move into the filelocker business (where there is actual money to be made, if you know when to close up shop and get out) anyway.
>>
>>3985007
Pretty much this
>Drew Carey show pretty much in legal limbo and probably never getting on DVD or streaming anytime soon
>Many Disney channel shows are in a similar position
>Streaming is generally retarded as shit gets pulled off whenever, only has one random season available for no reason at all, or just have a select few for no reason, not to mention they get censored (See: Bill Nye's episode on Probability)
>For stuff that isn't on streaming, you probably have to pay out the ass for on DVD
>For stuff that isn't on DVD, you're essentially fucked, unless you can find your way into myspleen or something
>Sometimes it's on youtube, but most of the time in shitty quality, mirrored, zoomed in or has a dumb effect to avoid content id
>Sometimes it's on youtube in perfect (or at least watchable) quality, but then gets taken down, despite not being distributed in any other way (You can bet it really sucked when most old nick cartoons weren't on DVD back in 2007)
>Sometimes it's on youtube, but the only videos of it are dumb "Pooh's adventure" videos
>>
>>3989658
And of course can't forget
>Daria is practically lobotomized with most of the licensed music removed.
>All those shows which had special episodes, which had special things happen on the exact airdate, that never showed up again for any rerun (like that one finale of Daria, and Blue's Clues Birthday episode of all things)
>The vast majority of films from the silent Era are all burned up
>The Magnificent Amberson's original cut was said by welles to rival Citizen Kane, but ended up getting neutered because audiences didn't like it, and the original cut is lost forever
>Deleted scenes from Kubrick films are lost forever because Kubrick doesn't want them to be seen
>Step by Step still pretty much in limbo
Probably went on much longer than I needed to
>>
>>3982243
>The Old-Games.RU project is Russia's largest archive of old computer games. We do not strive to collect every game in existence, but we do try to find most of past years' masterpieces. As time goes on, graphics and sound of these games get older as well, but the gameplay remains the same, and thus sometimes old games are much more fun than most modern ones.

>We are glad to see you visiting our extensive catalogue, housing 6809 games, all available for free, as well as our international forums section, where you can talk to people sharing your interests and sometimes find games not yet available at our site.

The best thing about it is that games are shared full. So it's probably closest you can get to vanilla experience.
http://www.old-games.ru/
>>
>>3982219
money
>>
>>3989658
I remember going to a Comic Con and someones booth sold DVDs sold bootlegs of old Nick shows for outrageous prices. The complete set of Rocko's Modern Life would be $70, Doug was a little less. Do these networks now see the potential? I understand royalties to actors but what about animation?
>>
>>3990590
For quite a while, no one really gave a shit about distributing cartoons in full/in season sets because "They're for kids, kids are stupid and don't care about the entire series and their parents don't want to overspend on that shit, and the adults who want it are manchildren not worth pandering to", and would only just sell those generic theme sets with about 4 episodes on DVD or 2 episodes on VHS, and it really didn't help that until about 2010 or so, the 90s was viewed as "That decade where everything went to shit and isn't worth remembering in any way outside of Super Nintendo and Genesis and maybe Simpsons".

Also Nick's behavior on just about anything pre-spongebob after 2005 and before 2011 was "Never happened, fuck off", as if they were just absolutely ashamed of everything for some reason, only to do a 180 when a bunch of people on social media suddenly praised the 90s for reasons other than vidya. Essentially the golden age is always 20 years ago and the time everything went to shit is 10 years ago, which is why everyone in the 90s circlejerked over how perfect the 70s were and how everything was ruined by the 80s, or in the 2000s how everyone circlejerked over how everything was perfect in the 80s and how everything turned bland and shitty in the 90s, and now just about anyone, even those who aren't really that much into 90s nostalgia; will tell you the 90s was an interesting decade... unless they're Movie Bob
>>
Floppies are on the verge of dying, but I think CDs have a good couple of years left
>>
>>3993031
Floppies are gone.

CDs are also gone. My case doesn't even have a CD slot.
>>
>>3984879
>Also most abandonware sites are afraid to host high-profile games such as id or LucasArts titles fearing lawyers on their asses.

why would abandonware sites host games that are widely available for purchase? nobody "abandoned" doom
>>
>>3987390
>We should create a religion based on preserving old video games.

nerd fandom is already a stronger form of irrational social behavior, no need to downgrade it to a mere religion
>>
>>3982219
Because most PC releases are probably the thousands upon thousands of slot machine and or other gambling games that you find tons of at thrift stores.
>>
>>3993245
I take it you never played a PC release back in the days.
>>
>>3993141
>Not having a CD slot
Come on anon
>>
>>3993141
>my iphone case doesn't even had a CD slot
lel. I still have a buttload of floppies. I've switched most of my drives out for emulators but I still have a few.
>>
>>3993031
Floppies are still in use in military applications.
>>
>>3993650
I meant as in the physical lifespan of the media, not whether people use it, Floppies have been known to rot lately.
>>
>>3993756
I still have Windows install floppies that still work fine. And no one gives a fuck about the physical lifespan if it's many years. You just make another copy.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.