[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why in God's name is there no save or password feature?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 10

File: Super Mario Bros. 3.png (4KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
Super Mario Bros. 3.png
4KB, 256x240px
Why in God's name is there no save or password feature? I know you can use warp whistles but if I want to play every single level I basically have to dedicate my whole day to it.
>>
I think playing every single level should at least take you a day..
>>
>>3981752
Just play it on snes
Problem solved
>>
>>3981758

I did it a few years ago. It took four hours.
>>
SRAM was expensive in 1988.
>>
>whole day
are you that bad at mario
>>
>>3981752
batteries for saving were considered uneconomical back then

just play the all-stars version. it saves which world you're on and your items
>>
It's really not that long of a game, OP.
>>
>>3981752
>whole day

Just git gud.
>>
They even apologised for the lack of such a feature in the manual (Maybe only the Japanese one) and mentioned the warp whistles as a replacement.
>>
>>3981909
Just a bit longer than an arcade game's length. C'mon OP.
>>
>>3981768
This

Unlike Mario 1 or Lost Levels, there's nothing wrong with the Mario 3 or USA remakes
>>
>>3981783
Yeah and Nintendo didn't have any money
>>
>>3981752

Why can't you just save state in your emulator? You're not actually still playing on physical cartridges are you? There's literally no benefit to doing that.
>>
File: 8ab.jpg (53KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
8ab.jpg
53KB, 640x640px
>>3982042
>>
>>3982042
emulation is fine but save states are for people who don't enjoy what they're playing
>>
Just leave it turned on until you're finished.
>>
>>3982042
You've got to be trolling, there is no way anyone could be that stupid.
>>
>>3982085
>>3982106

>m-muh authentic experience ;_;

Literally no reason.
>>
>>3982112
When you turn 18 you'll know, kid.
>>
>>3982119

I'm 30 little buddy. Being able to play video games while taking a shit was always the dream, you just value going backwards to arbitrary limitations because you never lived through it the first time around.
>>
>>3982134
>he doesnt into authenticity
Use a gameboy
>>
>>3982134
Go back to >>>/plebbit/
>>
>>3982146

>use a gameboy instead of a magic phone that lets you play SNES, Genesis, 32X, N64, and Dreamcast games

Ridiculous. Admit it, you're not being rational at all. You just absorbed "authentic is good" as a rule at some point and never consciously questioned it.
>>
>>3982151
Nobody is saying it's never a good idea to play it like that. What we're talking about pal is your shitposting like:
>>3982042
>pushes your face in it like a dog

Look at that, isn't that a shitpost? In your defence it must be sad to occupy the body of a 30 year old and the mind of a underage.
>>
>>3982165

That post is correct though. Not sure what your point is. There's literally no reason not to use emulators. I mean, I had a flip phone for a while because I'm slow to adapt to new technologies, but surely by now everyone has a smartphone.
>>
>/vr/ is defending emulation
WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED?
>>
File: thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg (44KB, 500x406px) Image search: [Google]
thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg
44KB, 500x406px
>>3982179
>>
>>3982096
>not wanting to waste electricity by keeping you PC running all night just so that you continue where you stopped means you don't enjoy SMB3
>>
Because SMB3 honestly doesn't need it.
>>
>>3982179

I stuck with the flip phone.
>>
>>3982185

/vr/ got rid of its collectorfags.
>>
>>3982096

No, savestates are exactly for this kind of situation.

This and fucking password saves.
>>
>>3982185
A few of us are rational.
>>
>>3982085

Posting a fedora is not an argument. Posting a fedora barely qualifies as a post.
>>
>>3982150
>>3982119
>>3982106

Contribute or get the fuck out. No, shitposting does not count.
>>
>>3982165

>Shitposting is anything I don't like.

That's not how any of this works, infantile manlet.
>>
File: gitgudcranky.jpg (37KB, 500x312px) Image search: [Google]
gitgudcranky.jpg
37KB, 500x312px
>>3981752
>>
>>3982474
"Contribute".... lol, what the fuck are you talking about? Those were all good posts.
>>
>>3982198
i should've made it clear that i mean savescumming. which, let's be honest, is what people use savestates for. it just nerfs the challenge so hard that you might as well not be playing a game at all
>>3982460
yeah savestating in a place where you can technically "save" with a password is fine too.
>>
>>3982112
Don't legitimize being a poor fag with opinions so purposefully contrary on a board you know it'll get a rise out of. You shitposter. Go back to /v/.
>>
>>3982602
The people you're talking about use the rewind feature more often than reloading states.
Save states as save points are common.
>>
>>3981783
For a major fucking flagship game like SMB3? They pumped money into "The Wizard" to advertize for it, and gambled putting SRAM on The Legend of Zelda carts even though it was a completely new series which might have flopped in the west for whatever weird reason, yet they cheaped out on putting SRAM on SMB3 carts even though it was guaranteed to become a giant hit game?
>>
>>3981779
>90+ levels in just a few hours

But that's almost speedrunning. Assuming "a few" meaning three, it's less than two minutes for a level in average, and that's not even counting fucking around on the world map, dying, playing minigames etc. etc.
>>
>>3981871
>90+ levels
>not a long game
If you warp quickly to world 8, perhaps.
>>
>>3981871
>It's really not that long of a game
>"How many levels our game has do you think...? Five hundred...?! A THOUSAND?!! EVEN MORE???? NOOOO IT'S JUST 99 LEVELS YES THAT'S RIGHT IT'S NOT A LONG FUCKING GAME LMAO"
>>
>>3981752
>Why in God's name is there no save or password feature?
There is, it's the whistles
>>
>>3982179
I would've stuck with a flip phone but my service provider forced me into switching.
>>
how about playing it on a nes mini
>>
>>3981758
I did that in uni once. Started somewhere in the morning I think, played till about 22:00.
>>
>>3981752
Use a save state. Or get the hacked version with built in save feature.
>>
>>3982831
Exactly. Why waste money on SRAM if it's guaranteed to be a best seller regardless? It maked more sense to do it for Zelda because it was not certain that it would sell well so they had to have features that would win customers over. Not so with mario 3.
>>
>>3982832
Most levels in mario 3 take about 2 minutes, I would think. Of course minigames and the fact that you're not going to beat every level first try add a significant amount of time to it, but I don't think it would take me more than 5 hours, for example, so I don't think 4 hours like the other guy said is unbelievable.
>>
I don't think anybody who grew up in the time this game wad released really had any issues with not being able to save. For the most part, that's just the way games were.
>>
>>3982831
Zelda was a game that needed the SRAM, or else you were going to spend all day writing down a gibberish password to resume your game. If you can't finish SMB3 in an afternoon then you should probably give up gaming.
>>
>>3981920
That made me smile for some reason
>>
>>3982832
Well maybe if OP didn't create this arbitrary, artificial challenge for himself to go through all 90 levels in the first place he wouldn't be facing the arbitrary challenge. Not using warps is one thing, completing all levels makes it a lot harder. Let's not forget SMB3 levels are really short, 2 minutes for a SMB3 level is not like it in other games. With the warps it's really a non-issue, all you need is a little common sense and make sure you can beat the world's you're warping over. You have unlimited continues for a world anyway so it's not like warping breaks the game.
>>
>>3983453
dammit I hate reading back my own post and noticed a shit ton of mistakes.
>>
>>3982832

No it isn't. I'm a fairly skilled casual player of the game, but I wasn't trying to speedrun at all. I have no special expertise at playing fast and I wasn't trying to apply any anyway. I was only trying to play through every single level (and poke my head into nearly every secret or side area) in what felt like a natural way for me. It happened to take me four hours, which is an enormous amount of time by a speedrunner's standard; "100%" speed runs of this game can apparently go about three times that fast: https://archive.org/details/MarioAllStars_Mario3_SS_100p_12407
>>
File: 1445975072090.jpg (165KB, 1002x960px) Image search: [Google]
1445975072090.jpg
165KB, 1002x960px
>>3982842
>>3981752
fucking millennials
>>
jfc /vr/ it's not too much to expect the average person to not want to sit through the whole game in order to beat it. even nintendo admitted the lack of saves was a design flaw
>>
>>3983347
>For the most part, that's just the way games were.
But this was a much longer game than your typical shooter or arcade romp.
>>
>>3984742
>a millenial would paraphrase Ballmer's 1985 Windows 1.0 commercial
>games in the old days really had hundreds upon hundreds of levels, making SMB3 with its 90+ levels a "short game"
>>
>>3983351
>If you can't finish SMB3 in an afternoon then you should probably give up gaming.

Oh look, one of those dorks who claimed how he beat Portal in half an hour the first time around. Kys
>>
>>3983268
If you're not a skilled SMB3 player then you will die a lot anywhere after world 2, and past world 5 average players are expected to go "game over" time after time and having to replay levels many times. Stocking up on lives up to 99 were possible (1-2 or 3-10 come to mind, or that brick/coin fortress in world 7) helps avoid game overs, but racking up lives can take time too. Saying that for the average person who played SMB3 on and off over the years and beat it maybe a few times in their life it's no big deal to do a 100% of the game in just a few hours it that kind of pseudo-elitist bullshit >>3984843 is talking about, and claims such these are made by insecure people trying to feel good about themselves and drive others into inferiority complexes.
>>
>>3984742
Millenials are 35 years old this year
>>
>>3984856
Not at all.
Some people just need to learn and accept that they are bad at games.

I am not sure how long it would take me now but me and my brother used to 100% together in about 3-5 hours depending how much fucking around we did.
>>
>>3981752
Have you ever considered playing a game enough times to get good? You wouldn't have to spend an entire day if you play it enough to know how to beat it without fucking up.

That's what they were going for. I'm sorry you hate to get good.
>>
>>3984887
37 (born in 1980)
>>
>>3984887
No way fag
>>
>>3983347
I dunno if I'd call it an issue but I did leave the system on for weeks.
>>
>>3981752
your comment doesn't even make sense faggot, why do you need a password or save to play every single level? play levels 1-3 today. turn off. warp whiste to 4 and finish the game.

Bam you played every level.

get the fuck out faggot.
>>
>>3984843
I'm sorry you're bad at games. Stay mad, faggot. :^)
>>
>>3984856
I mean, I suck ass at games, I've never even beat smb1 (and not for lack of trying) and last weekend I made it to world 8 in about 5 hours with no game over. I did get one pretty early on in world 8 though.
>>
>>3984887
>>3984962
Millenials aren't born in 1980. Millenials are those who were born in the 90s and were playing Pokemon as childeren on their GBCs and GBAs (whereas people born in 1980 were already young adults by then).
>>
>>3984931
Strangely enough, there are speedruns on Youtube which take about 2 hours to beat SMB3 100%, and you can easily look up on Youtube how much time it takes to beat the whole game in a non-speedrun, relaxed attempt.

>>3985178
Most people lie on their resumes, and most people lie about the time it took them to beat a game, for the exact same reason - to make themselves appear "better" (whatever that means in a given context) than others.
>>
Here's a 100% SMB3 let's play where the guy beat the airship level in world 8 on first try, so he's obviously quite experienced, and it took him about 4.5 hours to beat the whole game. Thus, it's obvious that an only average player will take much, much longer than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAx7fvENlPw

I could do a 100% semi-speedrun of SMW in a little under 3 hours back when I was playing the game a lot and knew the levels quite well, but then again SMW is a much easier game than SMB3, so it should take less.
>>
>>3981752
>if I want to play every single level I basically have to dedicate my whole day to it.
How is anyone this terrible at video games?
>>
>>3982836
they're all short as fuck, though. you can beat every single one of them in 2-3 hours if you don't have a neurological disorder.
>>
>>3985287
>Strangely enough, there are speedruns on Youtube which take about 2 hours to beat SMB3 100%
>using youtube to find speedrun related content lmao

http://www.speedrun.com/smb3#100
>>
>>3985287
>Most people lie on their resumes, and most people lie about the time it took them to beat a game, for the exact same reason - to make themselves appear "better" (whatever that means in a given context) than others.
is that what you tell yourself to convince yourself you aren't shit?
>>
>>3985287
And some people get mad at a game two decades old that didn't have battery back-up and frankly didn't need one.
>>
>>3985310
>he's obviously quite experienced
I just watched 20 seconds of that video and he's god awful. I doubt he's experienced at all, but if he is it makes his mindboggling ineptitude even funnier.
>>
>>3984843
I'm not that guy, but I finished the first portal in something like 2 hours or less the first time, it is a really short game. I played around with the gun a lot, if someone just went straight for the exit I wouldn't think it's impossible that they took only 30 mins.
>>
>>3985278
Yes they are you faggot.
Born between 1980 andd 2000.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=millennials
>>
>>3984843
If Portal takes you more than 2 hours to beat on your first try you're a fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>3985589
Not him but boomer-like typing detected.
>>
>>3982085
>implying someone that spends their neetbux on original hardware for children is less of a fedorafaggot
>>
>>3985136
Okay that makes sense but you didn't have to be so unnecessarily hurtful.
>>
It would be nice to have a save feature, sure, but I can beat it

>in under an hour with warp whistles
>in 4-5 hours playing through every world but not necessarily every level
>in 6-7 hours playing every single level

It's my favorite console game ever; I generally play on an emulator and my sister's NES mini. I do have an NES and if I come across SMB3 cheap sometime, I'm going to get that too, but I don't "collect" games very actively at all.

>>3984931
>accept that they are bad at games.
Or git gud. Or accept they are bad then work to not be. Depending on if it's worth it to them. But yeah, no shame in not being an all-star player or anything.

>>3985278
I was born in 87. I'll be 30 in a month. I had a regular gameboy. I'm definitely a millennial.

>>3985310
He's probably experienced at the game, but not so much with speedrunning. Look at all that time in the first 30 seconds alone he spends just standing on those platforms. I realize there are fireballs, but I'm sure a very good speedrunner can alter their jump height and timing just enough to avoid getting hit without losing much speed.
>>
>>3981752
Leave the NES running, problem solved
>>
>>3985278

>Millenials aren't born in 1980.

I wish since millennial is the worst generation is there is, but unfortunately I'm considered a millennial and I was born in 1986.
>>
>>3986058
>millennial is the worst generation there is
That'd be baby boomers.
>>
>>3982134
Just put a TV and a console in the bathroom and there you go. Your stupid dream was always achievable.
>>
>>3986062

Babyboomers voted through half the social policies that ensured you had a decent childhood, shithead.
>>
>>3982596

Those were all shitposts every one.
>>
>>3985593

>I totally am the same guy.

"Boomer-like typing" would actually be a compliment, ignoramus.
>>
>>3986761
And bitch constantly because the world didn't freeze exactly like it was when they were thirty. And killed and continue to kill the fucking environment. And then turn around and bitch about how apparently everyone's exploiting the system and poor people are just lazy when most poor people work one or more jobs.

Boomers are, on average, the fucking worst.
>>
>>3986770

>And bitch constantly because the world didn't freeze exactly like it was when they were thirty.

This is called "being old". You will do the exact same thing when you get to be that age too (except you won't, because none of you will stop the assholes systematically dismantling the social welfare system).

>And killed and continue to kill the fucking environment.

Every Boomer could fall in line behind the pseudo-environmentalism you faux-hippy shits espouse. Guess what? The planet would still be fucked, because everyone else is also only interested in lip service (China et al).

>And then turn around and bitch about how apparently everyone's exploiting the system and poor people are just lazy when most poor people work one or more jobs.

You're thinking of rich people in general, not specifically Boomers. Mark Zuckerburg would do this just as readily as the Koch Bros.

>Boomers are, on average, the fucking worst.

At least they were there for their families. You don't even *have* the concept of "family".
>>
>>3981752
Silly underage faggot, battery back up costed more so they stuck with normal ROM chips
>>
File: boomer_'wisdom'.jpg (262KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
boomer_'wisdom'.jpg
262KB, 800x800px
>>3986790
>You don't even *have* the concept of "family".
>>
>>3985592
https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=7230
>Rushed: 1h 50m
>Leasure: 8h 35m

Fuck you you fucking fuck. Not everyone is a mongrel mongoloid who rushes like an idiot through a great and interesting game when playing it for the first time.
>>
>>3986006
>He's probably experienced at the game, but not so much with speedrunning.
It wasn't meant to be a speedrun though, just a 100% run by a competent, but not exactly "world-class" player. If he intended it as a speedrun, he probably would have practice more beforehand so that deaths could be reduced to a minimum and time to beat it would be reduced at least by 30-40%.
>>
>>3986770
>Boomers are, on average, the fucking worst.

Euro boomers are the most lucky generation ever who didn't experience war in their lifetime yet lived to receive pension, and they managed to ruin the post-cold war world they inherited reign over form their parents, bringing us to the situation we're in now, with noggers marauding the streets, rabit leftists marauding offices and universities, and the doomsday clock being two minutes to midnight.
>>
>>3987749
How exactly did Penn Jilette become "le trashman"?
>>
>>3987758
What's the point in going slow? No, really, why would I purposely beat the puzzles more slowly than I'm able to? It's not like I missed any story or any of the terrible reddit dialogue.

So tell me, what did I miss?
>>
>>3987758
>taking 8h35m to beat Portal
That site has to be inaccurate. Nobody took that long to beat Portal.
>>
>>3987792
>hurr site must be inaccurate because literally who random anon knows better how long literally everyone took to beat it
>>
>>3987853
I'm just giving people the benefit of the doubt. I knew the average gamer was a retard, but I had no idea it was that bad. I don't want to believe it.
>>
>>3987758
>Not everyone is a mongrel mongoloid who rushes like an idiot through a great and interesting game when playing it for the first time.
Are you retarded? There's not enough content in Portal to make the game worth spending more than 2-3 hours.on. There's no exploration. It's literally a corridor of piss easy puzzles.
>>
>>3986006
Your sister sounds pretty cool.
>>
>>3981982
Exactly. I am on the fence about SMB 3 graphics in All-Stars, but they made USA look so much better. It's the definitive version as far as I am concerned.
>>
File: Image_061113_190207_00103.jpg (34KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Image_061113_190207_00103.jpg
34KB, 720x480px
>>3983351
>>
>>3987768
>How exactly did Penn Jilette become "le trashman"?
>le trashman
>le

You just answered your own question.
>>
>>3991616
But it started on 4chan
Much like all faggotry on 4chan, it didn't come from reddit, it was always here and people wanted a scapegoat
>>
>>3991624

Oh god help us a self-aware 'channer.
>>
File: faggotry.gif (1MB, 480x287px) Image search: [Google]
faggotry.gif
1MB, 480x287px
>>3986768
>>
>>3987768
>le trashman

You have to go back.
>>
>>3991975

>wants me to believe
>posts a lying sack of shit

Donald Trump is a joke that is no longer funny.
>>
>>3992009
>thatsthejoke.jpg
Thread posts: 120
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.