[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any kind of mod that lower enemy health and increases

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

Is there any kind of mod that lower enemy health and increases their damage for Quake 1? I love the game but after coming from Doom it just takes a century to kill anything.
>>
File: doctor's orders.jpg (8KB, 245x200px) Image search: [Google]
doctor's orders.jpg
8KB, 245x200px
>>3981370
>>
>>3981370
Enemy health is already stupidly low in Quake.
>>
>>3981501
This
>>
bind mouse1 'impulse 255;+attack'
>>
>>3981370
The Super Nailgun is your friend.

So is the rocket launcher.
>>
File: Fiend_1.png (241KB, 455x348px) Image search: [Google]
Fiend_1.png
241KB, 455x348px
ITT get gud retards not actually acknowledging that quake enemies are spongey as fuck compared to doom.

I love quake but it was definitely an adjustment having common enemies take like 5+ shots with the double barrel. It's even worse in quake 2 which is another reason that game is a chore to play.
>>
Rebind the GL and RL to more accessible keys and use them more often. You'll have plenty of ammo for them unlike the RL in Doom.

Treat the double shotgun as an SMG-like weapon i.e. an automatic close range weapon that works best when you maintain a close distance with the enemy and unload it rapidly, rather than using "jousting" or "hit and run" tactics with it like you would with Doom's shotguns.

The enemies in Quake are very proficient in close quarters and have varied melee movesets. You also need to learn their melee attack animations so that you can take advantage of them when they're winding up or down from an attack and punish them appropriately.

>>3983141
You do need to git gud because the two most common and useful weapons you'll use, the GL and double shotgun require skill. The former requires timing and prediction of enemy movement because of its slow projectile and short arc and the latter requires you to learn how to dance with enemies at close range if you don't want to take forever to kill them.
>>
>>3983152
Not him but I can see where he is coming from and can agree with him, the enemies in quake aren't hard they are just tedious, by taking health they die faster yes but the bump up in damage makes them more dangerous to offset that. Playing on nightmare with the increased speed of enemies would be a lot of fun.
>>
>>3983161
>by taking health

?
>>
>>3983163
taking away max hp,
>>
>>3983152
bitch quake on nightmare is a cakewalk for me
>>
>>3983141
Doom enemies were already spongey as fuck compared to Wolfenstein 3D.
>>
>>3983141
Most enemies die in 1 or 2 rockets or LG spam and you could rail or chaingun everything in quake 2 git gud.
>>
>>3983249
You're so fucking stupid kid, I said it wasn't hard and that its just tedious. Its not hard to shoot anything a hundred tims its just a pain in the ass you fucking retard
>>
File: 1462870836247.png (202KB, 278x310px) Image search: [Google]
1462870836247.png
202KB, 278x310px
>It's another "Doom fanboy tries to use the super shotgun on everything in Quake 1 because of how good the SSG was in Doom 2" episode.
>>
>>3983141
>ITT get gud retards not actually acknowledging that quake enemies are spongey as fuck compared to doom.
the shambler's hp, by and far the beefiest monster, is only like 600

just rocket him already and git gud
>>
>>3983141
>It's even worse in quake 2
are you one of those retards that downloaded some cooky version where guns do no damage?

Q2 enemies are wimps
>>
>>3983886
>rocket him
you fucking noob shamblers take less damage from explosions.
>>
>>3984213
he still has only 600 hp

less damage or no, rockets are gonna put him down quick
>>
>>3984225
Ten rockets are better spent on more important things.
>>
>>3983886
Shamblers take half damage from rockets, it's best to use the SNG or the thunderbolt against them. Or if they're alone, do the shambler dance and just axe them to death.
>>
>>3984225
That takes about ten seconds. Thunderbolt can do it in two, super nailgun can do it in four.
>>
>>3984258
>>3984247
>>3984231
yes okay the fucking point is they fold like wet tissue paper if you put any actual pressure on them
>>
you guys are all retarded, I hate you all.

Shamblers are not easy, especially when a ton of them are put together like in hard or nightmare. They're not supposed to be. That's why you have to be smart and work out how to defeat them. That's whole fucking point of the game, to diminish their energy is breaking the entire main game mechanic.
>>
>>3984392
Yeah everyone is retarded because they figured out using the thunderbolt or super nailgun drops shamblers in seconds and you're actually the smart one.
>>
>>3983867
unironically this
>>
>>3984392
But the tweak to damage makes them deadlier. It's like giving the shambler an awp with no armor when they usually buy an m4 and full armor
>>
File: wieder.jpg (77KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
wieder.jpg
77KB, 1024x768px
>>3983867
Doom is shit compared to Quake
>>
>>3985258

Both are shit.
>>
>>3985403
k
>>
>>3984392

Because hiding behind something, then baiting them one at a time to use their melee attack while pumping them full of nails or electricity is so difficult.
>>
>>3981370
Switch weapons often while fighting monsters and they'll melt in no time.
>>
If you grab the QuakeC source and compiler, you can modify the damages yourself (I think the file is weapon.qc) and put the progs.dat in a custom mod folder.

I did this to make the shotgun instant kill monsters just to explore the level architecture.
>>
Stupid question from long-time notplayer.
Do people play the original campaign pistolstart per mission?
I remember one mission, the wizards' manse being so frustrating i quit when trying that, but maybe i just had to get gud.
>>
>>3985952
why not just use godmode or turn on notarget?
>>
>>3986936
Pistol starts are the worst meme even in Doom. But Quake was absolutley not made for them. The game's manual even states that you'll not find many weapons in later levels because you should already have them by them.
>>
>>3983141
>>3981370

Enemies in Quake appear to have more HP than they actually do because you are used to Doom's weapon balance.

You are used to Shotgun killing zombies and imps in one shot
In quake it kills grunts in 2 and lazerguyus in 4.

But you miss that Shotgun in Quake is starting weapon instead of a pistol, and therefore it should be compared to a pistol instead.

You should use TTK (time-to-kill) with weapons and enemies that occupy the same niche, and TTK in Quake for enemies is about the same, if not lower than in Doom.

Enemies in Quake looks beefier than Doom's general mooks, but their comparative HP is lower than that of Hell Nobles and other upper tier foes that appear en-masse in Doom 2. Quake simply does not have analogue of those in terms of beefiness.

This results in beefier low-tier enemies, middle-class is a bit less beefy than Doom's High-tier, and there is no high tier in Quake aside from Vores (not that beefy, Threat more than HP gate and Shamblers who are beefy and dangerous, but are highest tier possible in Quake and therefore you should compare them to Cyberdemons of Doom 2).
Not to mention that overall populace of mobs per level is lower in Quake.
Overall it all stems from misunderstanding on how game balance works - you try to approach Quake as if it was a Doom with different skin - it is not.

Complaining about Quake mobs HP is just as silly as complaining about Unreal's Skaarj being too dodgy.
>>
How do I play Quake in hi-res like 1080p? I don't need fancy lighting or something like that, just want it to look decent fullscreen.
Please suggest.
>>
>>3983249
nightmare actually makes some enemies easier
difficulty in quake also doesn't affect enemy health or damage, only which enemies appear where
>>
>>3987654
Download Quakespasm, read the readme and install it, then plunk a text file named autoexec.cfg into your quake\id1 folder and add the following lines:

gl_texturemode gl_nearest
r_particles 2
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.