[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Rondo of Blood such a well known game (at least on /v/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 2

File: rondo.jpg (29KB, 250x249px) Image search: [Google]
rondo.jpg
29KB, 250x249px
Why is Rondo of Blood such a well known game (at least on /v/ and /vr/), while the PC Engine is still slowly rising in popularity?
>>
>>3977432
rob was literally pc engine's only great exclusive

inb4 nec defense force
>>
>>3977441
This.

Rondo is an influential game in a beloved series. That's why it's better known than the niche console it was released on.
>>
>>3977432
Rondo became legendary among CV fans because of it's Jap-only status, because being on a niche console made it difficult to emulate, and because it was the "mysterious" prequel to SotN.

As others said, PC Engine pretty much only became know because of Rondo.
>>
True prequel to one of the most popular Castlevania games (SOTN). Japan only despite this. Awesome game on top of all this. Dope ass soundtrack too
>>
How is the unlockable version included in DXC (PSP)? Is it emulated well?
>>
>>3977432
Which is best:
Blazing Lazers
Soldier Blade
Super Star Soldier
>>
>>3977592
sapphire
>>
>>3977592
Soldier Blade>blazing lazers>final soldier>>>super star soldier

Blazing lasers and sss both have severe weapon balancing issues, and sss's final boss (5 phases) can fuck you over quickly

All of them are good games but soldier Blade is on another level
>>
>>3977503
It's decent, works well, but has some problems during some of the cutscenes with the audio being desync.
It's still how I play Rondo most of the time, if I want to play on the TV I use the Wii.
>>
Not localized so automatically more special. But it really is a good game. I haven't beat it though, and I felt like using the little girl was cheating ~_~
>>
>>3977432
Oh I don't know, maybe since it was part of one of the most popular series of all time? Nah, couldn't have been..
>>
>>3977432
But OP, PC Engine is the most popular console not made by one of the big guys.
>>
>>3977441
OK Kid
>>
File: Bonks-Revenge-U-051-810x400.png (163KB, 810x400px) Image search: [Google]
Bonks-Revenge-U-051-810x400.png
163KB, 810x400px
>>3977441
>pc engine's only great exclusive
Bonk's Revenge exists so that's not really true.
>>
>>3977441
Wew lad
>>
>>3977592
Gate of Thunder
>>
>>3977441
>rob was literally pc engine's only great exclusive

Why would you make a post about something you clearly don't know a single fucking thing about?
>>
>>3979429
The only one that matters, anyway.
>>
>>3978276
Bonk games have terrible controls and game feel.
>>
The PCE occupies it's own unique niche. In Japan, Nintendo tested on their laurels and took too long to produce a follow up to the Famicom so NEC and Hudson just sort of swooped in and produced what is quite literally an expanded "super" version of the Famicom and just milked it and milked it with expansions until they just couldn't milk it any longer, released PC-FX and promptly fell flat on their face. Truly the third generation was the greatest.
>>
>>3979452
this is objectively false
>>
>>3979465
Nice wikipedia parroting, namefag.
>>
>>3979478
Is not my fault if people have pasted my posts to Wikipedia. Now that I look it seems a person would have to dig pretty deep there to see how significantly more similar the HuC6280 is to the 6502 than is the actual Super Famicom. This similarity is a major way the PCE seduced third parties into developing for their platform and is quite on topic for the purposes of this thread.
>>
>>3979478
I mean compared to the other bullshit in this thread, gramps' info is refreshingly not false.

Like what the fuck is this shit:
>than the niche console it was released on.
>being on a niche console
>As others said, PC Engine pretty much only became know because of Rondo.

It was a huge hit in Japan, it's not a niche console by any stretch of the imagination.
>>
>>3979541
I could go on to bring up how if either NEC had hopped on to international distribution faster or if Nintendo had dragged its ass for as long as it did on the NES then the TG16 might have really been a world wide phenomenon. Even as is its no exaggeration that PCE kicked off the fourth gen.
>>
>>3979559
Agreed completely. It's a truly unique machine, it feels different from anything else before or after.
>>
>>3979541
PC Engine is associated with niche gamers because of the ridiculous amount of Bishoujo Anime shit it got released on it.
>>
>>3979575
That doesn't mean it didn't sell very well and have a huge library though. Some of the content was niche, but the console wasn't.
>>
>>3979468
Well, I only beat 1 and 2. I've heard the Bonk games on SNES have decent gameplay though.
>>
>>3979452
It may be different from other platformers but that shouldn't discourage anyone from playing it. I've known other people from this board who've enjoyed it so you're in the minority here.
>>
>>3977432
Dracula X on SNES
Rondo on PSP

Most people have heard of or played TurboGrafx / PC Engine. It will never be as popular as the other consoles of its time because most of the original games weren't stellar and the arcade ports can just be emulated now. It did have a niche following from shmups fans, and Rondo was arguably the best game on the console.
>>
>>3979661
Super 1 isn't worth playing, but you might like Super 2 if you're a mario fan

Personally, Bonk 2 on pc engine is my favorite, so if you don't like that one you definitely won't like the others. But hey, I'm not a Sonic fan so it's different for everyone
>>
Rondo has the name recognition of Castlevania and the "exotic" (lack of a better term here) factor of being on a system that was considered relatively obscure outside of Japan, plus the SNES Dracula X at least made people aware of the TG16 game indirectly through magazine ads mentioning it

>>3978276
>picked up a TG16 and Bonk's Adventure at a pawn shop a few years ago
>open case
>was actually Bonk's Revenge and the last owner put it in the wrong case
Feels good
>>
>>3977462
speak for yourself. I learned about PC-E due to my massive boner for Taito and Hudson games.
>>
>>3979575
For every anime visual novel shitfest there's two good shooters/platformers. I'd say Saturn actually has way more VN type games.
>>
>>3979452
>terrible controls
this is wrong
>game feel
this is the most subjective pointless critique there is
>>
>>3977432
It's one of the best classic Castlevania games on a system that really didn't have much else going for it.
>>
>>3981004
>on a system that really didn't have much else going for it.
almost everyone in this thread is fucking delusional
>>
>>3981009
>>3981004
I like SHMUPS and T16 has some of the best around.
>>
>>3981067
Exactly, it's an extremely capable console that was quite popular in Japan for a reason. I have no fucking clue where this 'PC Engine was a failure niche console' information is coming from, it's super bizarre. Especially since we're talking about a CD-ROM2 game, and with the CD-ROM2 taken into account the PC Engine library virtually triples. The machine sold ~3.9 million units in Japan, almost 6M worldwide. I mean the Mega Drive only sold ~4.3 million in Japan from what I'm seeing, that says a lot.
>>
>>3981118
I love the pc engine, but it's success was mismanaged. NEC created way too many models. From nonsensical like the shuttle and supergrafx to fundamentally pointless like the RX and the Coregrafx 2

It definitely sold more than the megadrive in Japan, but once the super famicom came out, hucard sales started to tank. CD was the only reason it continued to survive

It's especially telling when not a single pc engine game sold one million copies, while the super famicom had like a dozen million sellers

Was pc engine better than most give it credit? Yes. But was it a tremendous success in Japan? Not really
>>
>>3977432
Its the best Castlevania game

>>3977441
Gunhed,Gate of Thunder,Soldier Blade,Legendary Axe,Bonk 2 and Air Zonk are great exclusives.
>>
>>3981171
I don't disagree about the ludicrous amount of hardware variations, and your point about software sales is great. I didn't mean to imply it was a 'tremendous' success in Japan, but playing second fiddle to the SuFami isn't a bad rep in the grand scheme of things.
>>
>>3981171
The Shuttle and Supergrafx were both significant failures, but the Duo-RX is important now because it doesn't have the Duo-R's cap issues and the Coregrafx 2 was just a redesigned shell made to fit better with the 2nd CD add-on. None of the CD add-ons need their own AC adapter so that was already handled better than the MD's add-ons despite the sheer amount of them.

Compatibility between hardware was also very high, you could connect a launch white PCE which is RF only to either CD add-ons and get composite that way without having to buy a new base system.
>>
>>3977432
It's a Castlevania game that turned to legend as "Dracula X's better version."
>>
>>3981195
Man, the supergrafx was one of the biggest wastes of potential from that era. It could have easily outperformed the SNES and genesis if it hadn't been limited by the hucard's size constrainsts. It's a real shame they never made any supergrafx CD games.
>>
>>3981009
Are you really going out of your way to play PC Engine games that arent RoB though
>>
>>3982902
Yes because the PCE is fucking amazing. Seriously, this isn't some situation like the jaguar or the 3DO where it has a handful of good games and a small pocket of die hard enthusiasts, the PC Engine legitimately has a library of amazing games that I'd stack up against the NES, genesis or SNES any day. Name a game from any of those systems and I could name 3 PCE games like it that are worth playing.
>>
>>3977450
>than the niche console
Maybe somewhat niche in the west.
>>
>>3982923
I'm looking for more PCE recommendations because I'm going to recap my Duo soon.
My Megadrive favourites are Story of Thor, Monster World IV and Shining Force.
Looking for fun SRPGs and action RPGs (already played Ys).
>>
>>3979559
>>3979574
It was the Dreamcast of its time
>>
>>3982979
Blood Gear is an amazing game by the wonder boy developers. It's like a true zelda 2

Dungeon explorer 1 and 2 are great

Legend of Xanadu 1 and 2 are insanely incredible and will have English translations out in a few months

Nectaris and it's sequel are good strategy games

Langrisser has a port though it's in Japanese

Exile 1 and 2 are solid, make sure to download the patches that fix the English versions
>>
One thing I especially love about the PC Engine is that since it is the first gamedevice that uses redbook audio, and then you hear all that incredible music, like if it was the true original idea of how the composer wanted it too sound.
>>
>>3981171
Are you that fag TUPSY turvy troll from V that was starting shit on the RE on the switch thread and on the why the PSX became huge?
>>
>>3979452
>terrible controls
confirmed bad
>>
>>3982979
>>3983575
Seconding dungeon explorer and exile. Gotzendiener is a weird one (think prince of persia meets landstalker) but it has a certain charm. The Xak games are a lot like Ys, and the Neutopia games are great Zelda knockoffs. Granted RPGs weren't really the PCE's strong point, but with CD games that changed a bit. Only downside is that a lot of them haven't been translated and are very tough without any Japanese knowledge. Also if you're going for physical, the English TG16 releases of any RPGs means you're automatically gonna be paying out the ass (except for the first dungeon explorer)
>>
>>3982934
>somewhat
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.