[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Were there ever two games with the same name on the same console?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: 1491982677732.jpg (92KB, 388x309px) Image search: [Google]
1491982677732.jpg
92KB, 388x309px
Were there ever two games with the same name on the same console? It sounds like a thing that could happen with more generic titles but I haven't heard of any such cases.
>>
Super Mario Bros. 2
>>
Like Tetris?
>>
>>3975109
On which console were there two games called just "Tetris"?
>>
>>3975110
And before you say it, they were both different.
>>
>>3975098
>Did you know...
>>
Not /vr/, but the 360 had two games named Need for Speed: Most Wanted, one released in 2005, the other 2012.
>>
2 totally different games by different publishers with the same title on nes...indiana jones and the last crusade
>>
>>3975075
star wars on the famicom
>>
Genesis has two games called Klax
>>
>>3975119
That American version of Super Mario Bros II was actually a port of the fourth game of the series? The original Super Mario Bros II wasn't released internationally. In fact, Super Mario Bros III is actually a port of Super Mario Bros VI!
>>
>>3975075
Officially licensed games would never have duplicate names for the same console.

>>3975115
Technically this is an unlicensed game, but I admit this is the first thing I thought of too.
>>
Not Retro, but there's 2 games on Xbox360 and PS3 called "Sonic the Hedgehog"
>>
There are like five entirely separate games that are just called "Shinobi" but I don't think any two of them have ever been on the same console.
>>
>>3975075

NES has the official release of Ms Pacman by Namco AND a Tengen release of Ms Pacman that has SIMULTANEOUS TWO PLAYER
>>
File: klax-usa-sega-genesis.png (238KB, 400x549px) Image search: [Google]
klax-usa-sega-genesis.png
238KB, 400x549px
>>3976041
What? I've never heard of this. I have this one. What's the other version?
>>
File: i git it.gif (1MB, 300x223px) Image search: [Google]
i git it.gif
1MB, 300x223px
>>3976204
What you mea--
>>
>>3976204
No there's only one and a weird beta of a 3D Sonic game that got leaked
>>
There were apparently two cancelled Sonic (E)Xtreme games...
>>
Sometimes arcade games got multiports to the same platform, because it had multiple publishers for the different regions.
Also, there is a Casper game for SNES and a very different one for SFC.
>>
>>3975115
Right.

>>3975473
Right too.

>>3975584
The first one was called "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Action Game", so it's not exactly the same.

>>3975586
This one is also right. There were two "Star Wars" on the Famicom, one from 1987, another from 1991.

>>3976041
Dubious. Offer proof.

>>3976187
>Officially licensed games would never have duplicate names for the same console.
See: >>3975473

>>3976204
Nope.

>>3977337
I only found 2, one from 1987 and another from 2002, obviously not from the same console.

>>3977351
Never heard of it but I don't doubt it.
>>
>>3976187
Most consoles and computers before 1987 did not have licensing restrictions.
>>
>>3978202
Not sure where you pulled that number from but the NES was infamous for licensing restrictions and the rest of the industry followed suit. And for big names (Star Wars, Tetris) licenses were extremely strict from the very beginning of the industry. So that's bullshit.
>>
>>3978659
1. The Nes was released in 1987. Yes, the Famicom was released in 1983, but I'm talking about the west.
2. I'm not talking about game licences. That much should be obvious, so I think you are just pretending to be retarded. I am, obviously, referring to licences from the publisher of the hardware to develop software on their platform. The major platforms before 1987 were the C64, Spectrum, Atari 8-bit line, and, to a lesser extent, the Amiga and Atari ST. None of these platforms required the licensing we would see on the two consoles that arrived in 1987, the Nes and Master System
>>
>>3978834
>1
It came out in 1985 in the west. The Master System game out in the west in 1986. Where is that date coming from?
>2
Oh. You're from Europe. I didn't know these consoles came out in Europe so much later than the US.
Europe had a very different licensing (and gaming) culture than America. "The West" didn't have a remotely unified gaming culture until the late 90s at the earliest. Computer gaming and console gaming are also completely different beasts.
The licenses you're talking about were a pretty standard thing (on consoles) from the third generation on. The second generation was more like the wild west (and computers still are) but consoles locked that down fairly quickly.
>>
>>3978859
1. No. I remember when it came out, they were both in 87.
2. When I say the west I mean Europe. It is old world terminology, so America isn't included in it.
I am saying that before the third generation there was no real hardware licensing.
>>
>>3978195
>I only found 2, one from 1987 and another from 2002, obviously not from the same console.

Arcade (Including Master System/NES etc.), Game Gear, PS2 and 3DS were all just titled "Shinobi", at least for US release.

So four, not five. I thought one of the early console ports differed enough to call it a different game but upon review, not really.
>>
>>3978876
Strict hardware licensing was rare outside of arcades before the third generation, but the third gen started in 1983. Europe may have waited 4 years to jump in, but that doesn't change when these consoles and licenses first appeared. It's Europe's fault for being behind the times.
>>
File: i have lived.jpg (16KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
i have lived.jpg
16KB, 320x240px
>>3978876
>When I say the west I mean Europe. It is old world terminology, so America isn't included in it.
>>
>>3975075
Ps1

Jp
King's Field
Na/Eu
King's Field (actually King's Field II)

Jp
Motor Toon Grand Prix
Na
Motor Toon Grand Prix (actually Motor Toon Grand Prix 2)

Jp
Gallop Racer
Na
Gallop Racer (actually Gallop Racer 3: One and Only Road to Victory)

Jp
BeatMania
Eu
BeatMania

Same franchise but not the same game

Jp
Dance Dance Revolution
Na
Dance Dance Revolution

Same franchise but not the same game
>>
>>3975075
>> Barbarian
>> Home computers

(Amiga, C64, amstrad CPC and so on).

the Psygnosis one and the Palace Software one (also called Death Sword).
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.