[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what's /VR/ think of the Commander Keen series? Just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: download.png (6KB, 204x204px)
download.png
6KB, 204x204px
So what's /VR/ think of the Commander Keen series? Just started playing and it's a pretty simple platformer. But I can appreciate the quality it must have had at the time of it's release.
>>
Personally, the 4th and 1st games have a special place in my heart. I still own the floppy for the 4th game. Remember learning Tom Hall's "Standard Galactic Alphabet" as a young child, only to spot in again later as an adult in Minecraft. Almost bought a Green Bay Packer's helmet a couple years back, just to keep as a mantlepiece. The complete collection is on Steam if you want to play them all - 4 is probably the best for puzzles and secrets though. If you get them online as a free download, you'll only get half of each game - they were demos sent out and you used to have to mail-order for the second part. Fun stuff.
>>
>>3974796
played them a LOT as a kid since that's what I had

good games far as I can remember

always hated how some of them (one and two I think?) had shooting mapped to ctrl+alt instead of it's own button

not like we're working with a fucking console here
you had a whole keyboard to work with, guys
>>
>>3974796
I remember them being fun.
>>
I have every single one archived. Only the best revisions of each. There was an attempt at a fan-made sequel, but the shitters only tested it in DOSBox (in real DOS it has been known to have problems) and the project lead never properly finished bugfixing Episode 7.
>>
1&2 were good for their time
3 was a complete mess
Dreams was meh
4 is a masterpiece
5&6 were great
Gameboy game was lame
>>
>>3975786

I have both original 3 and "I made it better but it still feels like the same game" 3.
>>
File: quality level design.png (44KB, 1600x848px) Image search: [Google]
quality level design.png
44KB, 1600x848px
>>
>>3975819

All fixed in my version. Can't take the credit, though; that was some other glorious bastard.
>>
>>3975465
Back in my day we called that Shareware
>>
>>3975786
Exactly my thoughts.
There's also a little batch of levels in 3 which are suddenly very hard (pic related).

Modders made a lot of good fan-made sequels.
>>
>>3975835

Every one of those were replaced in my version. The levels are still hard, just not ungodly so.
>>
>>3975843
Mind sharing your version?
>>
>>3975848

Give me some way to share it. All I have is email.
>>
Classic DOS PC platforming.
Episodes 1 to 3 feel clunky though are still plenty charming, but Episode 4 to 6 are the standouts. I played 1 and 4 a shit ton back in the day as I had them on a shareware disc.
>>
>>3974796
>But I can appreciate the quality it must have had at the time of it's release.
I don't dislike it, but that's mostly nostalgia talking. The best DOS platformers really don't match up to even a 6/10 console platformer.
>>
>>3975849
mega.co.nz, dude.
>>
>>3974796
Is that official art of Keen ? Because it looks awful. The head is too much to the left, and the whole neck area is just weird. The hand too looks retarded.
>>
>>3975886

Does it require an account?
>>
>>3975894
All hand-drawn. That particular image only shows up for maybe a second a time after completing levels, so it's not that big a deal.
>>
>>3975886
Drive? Dropbox?
>>
>>3975886
Sorry meant to reply to
>>3975896
>>
So, what are the best mods for the games?
>>
>>3974796
>But I can appreciate the quality it must have had at the time of it's release.
There were better or similat platformers literally everywhere else, it's just that IBM Compatibles of that time didn't provide you with a lot to choose from. Pretty fun series nonetheless.
>>
>>3975867
jazz jackrabbit 2 is legitimately good
not DOS like you said though
>>
I loved Commander Keen more than most games of it's time.

I dunno why, but as a child it always gave me a special feeling of cute and awesome at the same time.

1 was great and had that magical feeling of both indoors and outer space.
2 was just as awesome, shame they added a insta-game over switch.
3 was crazy, and had a dick shaped island in it, oh, and schools.
4 was good, saving a bunch of old folks was a pretty long quest.
5 was my favorite, I still hate robored.
6 was also great, I would play it more than the other later two.
Dreams was ok
GB version was shit.

To me It's there along with Pokemon red/blue, Command and Conquer Red Alert 1 and Survival Kids.
>>
>>3978626

just how many mods are there for this awesome series?
>>
Friend met his wife through Commander Keen modding. How weird is that?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.