[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did it ever occur to you that the people who started this game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5

Did it ever occur to you that the people who started this game wouldn't ENJOY the earlier installments you seem to cherish so much? That this game's style, design, and gameplay have left a strong first impression on people who experienced this before anything else bearing the "Final Fantasy" name that your precious Final Fantasy VI simply won't connect well with them, hence why they don't want to try it?
>>
did you make a thread when you wanted to reply?
>>
File: 1492909064837.jpg (111KB, 1300x861px) Image search: [Google]
1492909064837.jpg
111KB, 1300x861px
Is this what /vr/ is all about now? People shitposting about FF7?
>>
square RPGs are overcomplicated and irritating in general
>>
>French
>>
did it ever occur to you that not everyone shares your opinions?
>>
>>3973778
They are some of the simplest RPGs around.
>>
I started with 7 and gladly enjoyed 5 after.
>>
FF6 is probably similar enough? It's the first five games that are more classic JRPG than story-focused epics in steampunk/sci-fi/fantasy settings.
>>
>>3973826
Exactly the same for me. 5 is actually my favorite FF even though 7 was the first on I played
>>
>>3973778
>square RPGs
>overcomplicated

What the fuck are you smoking? Do you even play RPGs?
>>
>>3973735
Yes. The evolution from 2d to 3d was more dramatic than the change from losely medieval age to a more futuristic one. But i would have guessed that, after this indie age, people would give a chance to older games featuring pixel art.
>>
did this really need its own thread?
sounds like OP got BTFO in a different thread and created this one just to cry, kinda embarrassing
>>
What are you even talking about, FF VII was my first Final Fantasy game and I enjoyed the hell out of all but FF1 which hardly had any plot.
>>
>>3973735
I really don't care because if someone is that stupid I wouldn't want them associated with things I like anyway.
>>
>>3973965
Did you like 2? My first was VI, and I've enjoyed all those I've played (1-9, except for 3 but planning on it), EXCEPT both I and II. I because it had basically no plot as you said, and II because I found it to be immensely tedious even for an old RPG. I much prefer the original Dragon Quest, oddly enough.
>>
I beat X first, then IX, VIII, I, X-2, and VII. Still haven't played III, IV, V, or VI.
>>
>>3973814
>>3973926
Well, wish to provide examples in your disagreement?
>>
ff7 was my first ff game. I didn't like it that much, so I played ff1 instead and liked that much more.
>>
File: wizdidit-32[1].png (10KB, 256x220px) Image search: [Google]
wizdidit-32[1].png
10KB, 256x220px
>>3973826
>>3973901
You guys are okay
>>
>>3974428
That's actually kinda strange to be honest. It's one of those things where it's like... almost anything nowadays? Although if we are to keep in perspective of /vr/, JRPGs didn't really become complex until the PS1 era and beyond. Lots of those older RPGs are painfully rudimentary. So, I guess it just depends on your viewpoint.
>>
>>3974490
Well I am just fishing around what people were really thinking of when they think of complex. Mostly because you can point out some Square RPG's that do have various mechanics that could make RPG's from other developers look more simple.

Personally I even have a hard time saying that Final Fantasy VII is simple compared to something like Suikoden mechanically. I think Final Fantasy VII is a good game, but I like many other RPG's over it, but that doesn't take away from what it has.
>>
>>3974519
Yeah, some square RPGs are pretty fucking daunting to get into, but the only final fantasy with that status is 8 (and Tactics but I don't really consider that to really be Final Fantasy other than the name). I don't really have a good argument to argue with you though, as I'm in ripping pain at the moment, so maybe the other anon can help with that. I apologize.
>>
>>3974585
Are you OK
>>
File: busterwolf.gif (157KB, 475x250px) Image search: [Google]
busterwolf.gif
157KB, 475x250px
>>3975670
Busta WOLF!

>>3973735
Of course. That's the normal course of things. Why most young people don't play old games and /vr/ is a slow board.
>>
Started with IX
Loved VII and think it's better

Then I played chrono trigger and think it's probably better than both

FF vi is trash tho
>>
I don't understand how you can not "get" any of the Final Fantasies.

They are all incredibly simple mechanically.

It's about a 50/50 split whether they even have any kind of reasonable customization and "player agency". Games like Final Fantasy 4, and 6 give you virtually zero customization options and as a result you just spam your individual characters strongest abilities.

Games like FF1 are similar, but you're at least given a choice at the beginning.

Then games like FF3 and 5 have the job system, which is when final fantasy is at it's best.

7 and 8 everyone can do everything and stuff doesn't matter. The systems are fun though and allow you to make choices which is enjoyable.

I've never been able to get into 9. I always give up after fighting the first blackmage on the mountain. It's so god damn boring.
>>
>>3976010
I'm not the biggest proponent of FFVI, but I feel like you're leaving out the idea that characters aren't customized by abilities that they have inherently. Inherent abilities are static, and everyone can learn every magic, but the customization of VI comes from equipment. This may sound stupid, but hear me out. All relics have some kind of passive effect, oftentimes one that changes equipment specifics and/or command list. You want a "dragoon?" Pop the Dragoon Boots on Edgar or Mog, and their Attack command becomes Jump. You want a dual wielding ninja? Slap the Genji Glove on Shadow. And that doesn't even factor in stuff like the Merit Award that allows anyone to equip anything and the zaniness that entails.

Yes, your characters have set abilities and are capable of learning all the magic available past getting Espers/Magicite. However, that's not the customization of the game. I will agree that IV has zero customization until the non-retro Steam/iOS/Android/DS version. And even then, it's not Job/Materia system level.
>>
>>3973756
100 internets bets it's an Xbox-owning millenial trying to rationalize a modernized remake with all sorts of shit changed and added to pander to "today's gamers."
>>
>>3973756
no, it's people shitposting about zelda
>>
>>3976080
I know almost nothing about the remake, but FFVII wasn't amazing already. Real time combat, if done well could make it more interesting.
>>
>>3976037
You have virtually zero meaningful choices in who you bring along for the vast majority of FF6. It's the same issue with 4.

>can learn all magic
Meaningless, the only characters who truly benefit from magic are the dedicated casting units. Terra, Celes, Strago, and Realm. Which is 4/14.

The rest are all almost better off just spamming their special ability, like Tools, Rage, Blitz, or just attacking normally.

>customization via equipment
Relics are better than nothing, but hardly change that much.
>>
>>3976109
>You have virtually zero meaningful choices in who you bring along for the vast majority of FF6

Other than the first one that's true of every FF
>>
>>3976093
It'll kill what makes it an RPG, and changes it into a single-character action game. The original battle system is just fine for the genre, and does exactly what it's supposed to do.

Are people even capable of appreciating RPGs any more?

Also changing the style of the game completely destroys the charm of the original.
>>
>>3976118
Well it's RPG aspects were one of the things I think it did worst. Not a lot of interesting choices and it was way too easy. Not that I have much desire to replay the story and it's nowhere near enough to sway me but new combat makes it a little enticing at least.
>>
File: 1387562522784.jpg (196KB, 1038x1203px) Image search: [Google]
1387562522784.jpg
196KB, 1038x1203px
>>3976114
And there's nothing wrong with it.

The creators wrote stories they wanted to tell in a form of interactive storybook, not treat the stories like second-rate concern behind mindless questing

And that mentality is why Aeris's death is so memorable and why so many of these games have such staying power over most non-RPGs.

BUT in the Xbox age that's a bad thing and all that matters is being able to roam around hack-and-slashing.

Which explains why FFXV is largely forgotten and swept under the rug already while FFVII still produces large amounts of discussion
>>
>>3976129
Not saying there is, it's what the series does. Just thought it was an odd criticism for that guy to use. I think FFIV is horrid, but the reasons I don't like it is what a lot of people love about it and why they play FF games. It's all good.
>>
>>3976114
>>3976129
You're missing the point.

In FF2, 3 and 5, your party choices don't matter, because you have a core-party that you have the ability to adjust.

4 you have zero say in who you use. You're simply given characters at arbitrary times and dictated what you use.

6 is in the same spot. You're given a little leeway, but there is virtually zero choices for you to do. Edgar uses tools. Sabin spams Blitz. Every character uses their core ability set, rather than you having any kind of choices in the matter.
>>
>>3976129
>largely forgotten
5 million launch, great reviews across the board. Sure is forgotten.
>>
>>3976160
Ehh even different classes didn't change gameplay a ton in the end. 3 and 5 are a little better but still really just the same thing.
>>
>>3973735
7 was my entry point. I like probably about half the games in this series quite a bit, but don't like 6. Too many characters, honestly. It was hard to connect to the world when I kept getting uprooted every 2 hours to play with a completely different party.
>>
6 was my first and I played most of the ones that came after. 6 is still my favorite
>>
>>3973778
Final Fantasy VII is the epitome of
>press a to attack
>go to magic to heal
>rinse and repeat

I'm sorry that Square's rpgs aren't as simple as the first Dragon Quest
>>
>>3976183
Yet it's hardly ever talked about any more and doesn't have the sustained hype a 20-year-old game like FF 7 still has.
>>
>>3975670
I'll be fine. Got a wisdom tooth coming in and I need to get it removed on paypay.
>>
>>3973735
My first game was ff7. I watched my older brother play. I got into games like FFV later and liked it a lot.

What are you smoking OP?
>>
>>3976482
I think he means that FF 7 and beyond have prided themselves on presentation, presentation that is mostly lacking in any of the FFs that came before it. I don't know what he's smoking when it comes to gameplay as the gameplay is the same as any of the SNES ones. Perhaps he meant the light customization that materia added?
>>
I don't like 6 too much because it feels like an unfinished prototype for 7. The directorial change most likely screwed things up at first and they didn't know what they were doing. But probably necessary to realize the vision for a true modern FF.
>>
>>3976010
>>3976010
The reason I can't get into Final Fantasy isn't because of the gameplay mechanics. All that shit is way too simple, and doesn't satisfy like SMT.

It's the damn story. The first handful of games were light on it, which was okay, I guess, but they soon valued the overcomplicated and SUPER DEEP narratives over satisfying gameplay and that shit aggravates me to no end.
>>
>>3976505
>presentation that is mostly lacking in any of the FF's that came before it.

...you're joking, right? I mean yes, of course the improved graphics allowed them to do new things, but Final Fantasy has always, ALWAYS been about cinematics and presentation. From the first game on.
>>
>>3973735

I played FF7 before playing the other ones. I like all the other Final Fantasies, except X-2 and XI.

So your inference about whether people would enjoy the others if they played 7 first is shit.
>>
>>3977541
Not on that level, though. Also note the keyword "mostly". 6 is where they really started pushing it.
>>
>>3977560
Naw, 7 is where they really started pushing it. He is basically right though, it's a cinematic series of games. Either you like what it's going for or you don't.
>>
>>3978504
No no, anon, look at all the stuff they tried to do in 6 that was simply not present in the earlier games. The most notable part is the opera house. The push began with 6, and then they went full force with 7 when they weren't limited by much of anything anymore.
>>
>>3979029
Not him but the opera house was only one section, FFVII is a full FMVfest.
>>
>>3979039
Think a little more. Consider the timeframe. FMV wasnt possible in any feasible sense on SNES, but 6 really pushed what they could do. Not many games had shit like that. Only game I can think of that rivaled it was tales of phantasia.
>>
>>3979059
I've considered it plenty. FFVI is a little more cinimatic like they all are as has been pointed out by others. It's a little more than 4 or 5, but nowhere near 7. The Lunars were like that as well.
>>
>>3979064
They were limited by technology on the SNES. You can see they wanted to do a lot of stuff like 7, but couldn't. The push started with 6, but didn't gain steam until they lost the limitations of the snes.
>>
>>3979070
The push began with 1. They've always been limited by technology.
>>
>>3979261
Well yeah, sure, but like... I dunno dude, you can see an increase in 6 that you don't see in either 4 or 5. I don't think either of us are wrong, but they really stepped up their game with 6.
>>
>>3973735
not sure

i started with FF1 on nes
then got FF2 on snes, which at the time was a huge jump in about a years time from release dates

then ff3 hit and holy shit, it was even BETTER than ff2 in any and all ways.

then nothing until 1997 and ff7 hitting, along with my wondering where ff4-6 went.

ff7 i liked, but i think it was that huge next gen jump from 6 to 7 like we had from 1 to 4 in the states that made me enjoy it more.

but then i played it again around 2005 or so, i did replay it in the late 90s and early 00s, but it was still fresh in a lot of peoples minds.

i didn't like the story or the characters, the battles were the same, the music was still good, the graphics never bothered me as being "old" at the time, as i could never see it like that due to growing up with NES,

i feel like if a story and characters suck, the RPG will falter, though its not always the rule as i enjoy SaGa Frontier and that has quite the shit open ended story and zero characterization
>>
>>3979029
its more like this;

ff6 had the opera scene but that was done with all in game assets. had it been on PS1, it would have been with an FMV

the opera scene doesn't feel like it takes you out of the story since there is no loading to an FMV.

the FMV might have been 2-3 mins maybe, wouldn't properly explain the scene since no vocals were in any PS1 FFs and feels like it takes you out of the game when it loads the FMV
>>
>>3979551
>wouldn't properly explain the scene since no vocals were in any PS1 FFs
They could easily overlap a text box on top of the movie, even FF7 does that.
>>
>>3973735
It was the first Final Fantasy I played, and to this day the only one I like. It's probably my favorite game as well. So in my case you are correct.
>>
>>3979551
Just because there were no vocals doesn't mean they couldn't do it, even on SNES. Look at Tales of Phantasia.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.