[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can I clean up an RF signal to my Famicom? It produces these

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_0810.jpg (450KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0810.jpg
450KB, 1600x1200px
How can I clean up an RF signal to my Famicom? It produces these wavy lines and a bit of noise. The noise mostly goes away when I pull the cable upward, not certain why.

I have the cable directly plugged into an adapter on the back of the TV, and I'm not using an RF adapter, is it worth ordering one? I've already ordered ferrite beads to put on the length of my cable.
>>
File: IMG_0813.jpg (400KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0813.jpg
400KB, 1600x1200px
This is how I have the cable connected.
>>
File: 56343f0d.jpg (58KB, 600x454px) Image search: [Google]
56343f0d.jpg
58KB, 600x454px
Is it worth getting the Japanese RF switch?
>>
File: Z0053874.jpg (69KB, 1024x832px) Image search: [Google]
Z0053874.jpg
69KB, 1024x832px
Or the American one?
>>
Why do you have a Japanese copy of mario
>>
>>3972515
I work with RF. For the best performance in the lab, RF connectors ideally should have little lateral stress and be precisely torqued. Otherwise you get reflections off the connection and that causes signal attenuation and potentially noise if signal bounces on off the other end of the line.

Try to make sure the cable is cleanly seated to the TV. Maybe prop it up to reduce lateral stress. Make sure it's tight. You may also want to look at the end of the coax cable and check if there are any metal filings or scratches to the dielectric (the plastic stuff) surrounding the center pin.

Also, if the cable is damaged anywhere along the line, be it bent severely or the jacket partially cut, you can get reflections and noise off those parts too. Make sure your cable is good.
>>
>>3972517
That looks like a pretty good phono cable but the very best are the thick orange ones that are for dolby digital surround. Your TV may also be having a hard time precisely locking on to the Japanese channel. It's not bang-on one of our UHF channels IIRC.
>>
File: getaloadof.jpg (70KB, 776x602px) Image search: [Google]
getaloadof.jpg
70KB, 776x602px
>>3972570
fuck off.
>>
>>3972515
It's part of the RF appeal...
>>
My NES does those wavy lines too, it could be interference, you could try a model 1 genesis DC adaptor, but it's likely an issue that requires recapping.

I'm just gonna use mine til the pins die and probably buy an AVS or some shit. I'm no good at soldering.
>>
>>3972515
Stock /vr/ meme answer for cleaning anything is 99% isopropyl alcohol. Don't use 98.999% or the meme gods will smite you.

Good shielding and grounding are key to an RF picture that doesn't make your eyes bleed.
>>
>>3972515
>It produces these wavy lines and a bit of noise. The noise mostly goes away when I pull the cable upward, not certain why.

That's normal. You'll never get a great picture with RF, just jiggle the cord until you have the best you can get and deal with it.

>I've already ordered ferrite beads to put on the length of my cable.
This some sort of meme? If one were to spend money on picture quality, why use RF at all?
>>
>>3973326
>If one were to spend money on picture quality, why use RF at all?

Curiosity. Nobody ever talks about improving an RF signal because they all want modded consoles for their PVMs. I wanted to learn something new about the least appreciated video signal.
>>
>>3973326
>ferrite beads
Yeah, those aren't going to do what you think they will. Ferrite beads are essentially inductors. Inductors resist changes in current. If a current changes slowly, the inductor doesn't resist much, while if current changes rapidly, a huge voltage develops across the inductor to resist the change in current.

Now, the reason people put ferrites on lines is to smooth out small current fluctuations. This is to make the cable more predictable and better behaved. Fluctuations can be caused by the source characteristics changing slightly (like how your lights dim when you switch on a vacuum), interference from devices coupling to the line that you don't want, poorly constructed and impedance matched cables, or just electronic noise.

You usually see ferrites on things like power cables, which carry AC current at about 60Hz or some multiple thereof. The ferrites allow the low frequency current through, yet block high frequency fluctuations caused by interference, such that you smooth out the signal.

Now, RF stands for radio frequency, which is roughly defined as anything from 3kHz to about 300 GHz. For TV channels 2-3, the carrier wave is about 50 MHz, which is what is being carried in your coax.

Adding a ferrite to your coax cable will likely have the effect of worsening your signal because the ferrite will block the RF signal, while leaving undesirable signals intact.

You probably just blew a few bucks for nothing.
>>
>>3972515
You don't. It's RF, it will always look like that.
>>
>>3973506
it's the least appreciated for a god damn reason.
just composite mod the thing.
>>
>>3973537
>i just googled it and blogged a totally retarded summary of shit i didn't understand
Cool story kid
>>
>>3974059
>Cool story kid
Wow, way to really tear my post apart. Should have thought about it some more, huh?
>>
The wavy lines can happen on the composite output too. I'm pretty sure it's caused by a bad capacitor somewhere.
>>
>>3972515

>blue skies

Please stop posting completely innaccurate colors. Please use something consistent with the colors discovered by famicom expert Firebrand-X. As you can see, the color output by the Famicom results in PURPLE skies. Anything else is simply wrong.

I weep for those who remain ignorant of these simple facts.
>>
>>3974390
Piss off with your forced meme.
>>
>>3974238
You're thinking of the vertical bars that exist on most non AV Famicom units.
>>
>>3973574
>just composite mod the thing

Ruining old hardware is a travesty. It's better to buy an AV or American model than to mod a Famicom.
>>
>>3974068
So sad the babies are
>>
>>3972554
Broadcast engineer here. This guy is right. Quality connections are most important.
>>
>>3974483
>ruining
>a yellow famicom
>>
I don't know about the Famicom or NES, but the SNES RF adapter was absolute dogshit. Get a new one or use an RF connector from a different console.
>>
>>3974483
the OG famicom is a clusterfuck of problems. If you pick one and don't plan on fixing them you're pretty dumb
>>
>>3973506
The NES is the only console worth playing that doesn't support RGB, so not no modding is necessary to connect most consoles to a PVM.
>>
>>3975683
>Yellow

Lol no
>>
>>3975709
>a clusterfuck of problems

Such as? Besides the vertical bars which aren't even a visible in most games, the console is fine.
>>
>>3975709
there's next to nothing wrong with the original famicom, minus some jailbars on the video out. I've bought a bunch of 'untested' junk famicoms and every single one has worked flawlessly, they're tanks.
>>
File: 20170405_183133_reduced.jpg (3MB, 3249x2324px) Image search: [Google]
20170405_183133_reduced.jpg
3MB, 3249x2324px
>>3974472
These wavy lines move around the screen slowly, they aren't simple jailbars. This NES used to not do this until a few years ago. This is with composite output, by the way.
>>
>>3976059
>>3976394
-brittle yellow plastic
-attached controllers
-short cords
-RF only
-jailbars
-always on regulator
-wrong sound resistor on later revs
>>
>>3976848
>wrong sound resistor
wew, thanks for the insight, you must be an electrical engineer. Most of the things you said are subjective, and the plastic on the fami isn't brittle at all. Also,
>not having a pristine white famicom
>>
File: FC Factory CPU Schematic Scan.jpg (296KB, 1744x1237px) Image search: [Google]
FC Factory CPU Schematic Scan.jpg
296KB, 1744x1237px
>>3976851
R7 has been changed to 68k in later revs, resuting in wrong expanson audio. It's a known flaw.

So you would also say twinfami inverted resistors isn't a mistake because MUH INGINEERS ? (ツ)

>always on regulator is subjective
wew ladilad
>>
>>3972515
need a decent comb filter like the Kramer FC-10D
>>
>>3972515
>refuses to play on emulator because it's not "authentic"
>complains about literally the only thing that is different from an emulator
>>
>>3972515
Why not use the Famicom AV instead?
>>
>>3976983
Who ever said I didn't?
>>
>>3976867
Which later revisions?
>>
>>3977308
I don't know which exact revs, but I can say the HVC-CPU-GPM-02 for sure as I have one right before my eyes.
Oh and it was 47k actually, 68k is for AVFami but it doesn't matter for it since low volume is related to another thing.
>>
>>3977358
alright I concede that you know your shit, is there a way to fix the low expansion audio volume?
>>
>>3977616
on late famis, replace R7 with 100k
on twinfamis, invert 2 resistors
on avfamis, bypass and rebuild the audio circuit with a TTL inverter
>>
>>3972515
You don't. That's how the developers intended it.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.