[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best way to play pc-98 games these days taking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

File: pc-62280-51443131711 (1).jpg (52KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
pc-62280-51443131711 (1).jpg
52KB, 640x480px
What's the best way to play pc-98 games these days taking its mess of hardware compatibility into consideration?
>>
Neko Project 2 fmgen is the best emulator at the moment for playing the games.
>>
>>3972334
Anex86 works decently if you have .hdi files
>>
Learn Japanese.
>>
>>3973383
Says the weeb who didn't
>>
>>3973825
There's tons of people on /vr/ who learned Japanese.
>>
>>3973830
One or two retards. Most of the board is too old for that.
>>
>>3973841
I learned started learning with 31. You're not too old to learn until you turn 85.
>>
>>3973853
Your idea of learning is consulting rikaichan and a million Japanese dictionaries. At that age you'll NEVER achieve fluency.
>>
>>3973862
You sure know a lot about anonymous people on the internet.
>>
>>3973825
>早合点
>>
>>3973907
I learned a new word today, only 40,000 more to achieve fluency.
>>
>>3973885
At age 31 there's just not enough time to acquire fluency.
>>
Not sure if this is the proper place to ask, but I'm playing 46 Okumen Monogatari (on chapter 2) and I can't seem to evolve into the top tier evos even if I max my stats until they won't go further. I can't find any information at all on this game about it. What's up with that?
>>
>>3973912
Good luck.
>>
>>3973921
Top tier evolutions are only available at the end of each chapter.

Also, Rusty's translation patch is out.

http://46okumen.com/projects/rusty/
>>
>>3973961
Yeah I have it. But what qualifies the "end of each chapter"? I mean, I never hit the last evolution in chapter 1 and I'm fucking up that boulder in chapter 2. Is there certain times I should know that "hey, I can evolve again"? I would have assumed it would be a power given to you by gaia or something.
>>
>>3973971
You know how you evolve into a creature with the story at the end of chapter 1? That was the final evolution for that chapter.
>>
>>3973980
So the ichystega was it, and it also happened to be the starting evolution for the next chapter? That kinda makes sense. There's 3 for chapter 2 though, which is kinda confusing.
>>
>>3973985
Just means that your evolution choices during the chapter matter to an extent.
>>
>>3973991
Okay, thank you. It was really bugging me. Does that mean that my choices carry over between chapters too?
>>
>>3974000
Certainly do. When you hit one of those three at the end of chapter two, that'll be what you start as in chapter three.
>>
>>3974298
Does that lock me out of evos in chapter 3 or can I still reasonably traverse the tree? Also do my current stats matter or does it only matter what I choose when I want to evolve?
>>
>>3974424
A lot of that is explained in the manual. There is only really one point in the game where the evolution tree branches, but your end of chapter evolutions shouldn't lock you out specifically unless you're not careful at the beginning of the chapters.
>>
>>3973830
There are. I learned it before you were born. But there's a lot of weebs who never did and never will. They project a lot and are constantly telling others to learn.

>>3973841
Nah. Most of the oldfags here know enough moon to get through a game. It's the younglings that don't.

>>3973907
Domo arigato mr roboto

>>3973913
You don't need fluency. You need to know enough to use a decades old jap toy. Or a bakers dozen year old one.
>>
>>3973913
What the fuck are you saying? Stop projecting faggot.
>>
>>3974695
I read the manual somewhat but a lot of it was just plain useless junk and lore shit. Anyways, that's good to know, thank you.
>>
>>3973921
>46 Okumen Monogatari
Hi im new to PC-98 emulation. Where do I get this game?
>>
>>3975162
The python patcher was bullshit. Why don't I upload it for you prepatched with the emulator? Mediafire seems gay now and megaupload seems gone so I have no idea where to store this shit though. Gimme a place and I'll up it.
>>
>>3975162
https://ufile.io/e45kf

I found this. This is prepatched with the emulator. All you have to do is run the labeled EXE, insert the floppy images into the floppy drives and reset (I fucking love it.)

http://46okumen.com/pc-98-emulation/

More details on how to use it.
>>
>>3975185
What was bullshit about it? I'm the translator and we haven't heard ANY feedback on it yet so it's hard for us to improve the process without people telling us what's wrong with it.

As far as we can tell, it will patch practically all known dumps of the game, as well as dumps that we haven't found yet or personal dumps from people who own the disks themselves. That was the main goal for it.
>>
>>3975197
It's not so much fault with your code so much that you chose python. I was running 2.7 and it would crash on startup.

"Fri May 05 15:03:27 2017
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "patcherGUI.py", line 213, in <module>
File "lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1814, in __init__
_tkinter.TclError: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:
List of directories omitted.

This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly."

I tried installing 3, shit didn't work. I tried installing packages manually, shit didn't work. Three hours later, I gave up and asked a friend to try and he got it first try. Fucking python. So yeah, the only thing you did wrong was choose a language prone to nonsense. It isn't the first time I've had problems with python.
>>
File: unknown.png (139KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
unknown.png
139KB, 1920x1080px
>>3975197
Also I'm being a fuckin' pissass about it, but I do want to say THANK YOU. I extremely appreciate the work you guys put into it. Get swole.
>>
>>3975205
The patcher should come with all included libraries so you shouldn't have to install Python for it (at least that's what the library we are using to generate the executable tells us). We've upgraded the process a bit more (now we're using Python 3.5 instead of 2.7) with our recent release (Rusty), but I'll be forwarding your error messages to our hacker and see what we can figure out. Thanks for the input.

As far as language used, Python's just what our hacker knows so that's what most of our tools and the like will be written in.

>>3975216
No need to worry about being angry about things. I'm an adult, things anger people. Way it is. Thanks for playing the game and hope you enjoy it.
>>
>>3975219
Yeah, I'm a video game developer and programmer myself, so I understand the importance of just using what you know to get shit done. I didn't think there'd be a problem with it but even when I forced it to run in 3 I couldn't get shit to work and I have no idea what's that about. Python and Java can be like that at times, it's quite frustrating.

About actually playing the game... Honestly, I'm not sure I enjoy it. I'm early chapter 3 and battles are really starting to wear on me. It's nice evolving into lots of stuff as well, but there's just no reason to fight battles once you have hit your limit not even halfway through the chapter. Exploring on the overworld is finicky as hell and lots of shit doesn't even look like you can walk on it but you can. Lots of problems, but I feel the good outweigh the bad, and I can forgive it due to the time it came out.
>>
>>3975234
I believe we've actually figured out that issue. Going to venture a guess that you're using a 32-bit environment to run the patcher in? We'd been accidentally including the 64-bit xdelta executable in our installer which was causing similar problems with Rusty. We're working on fixing that and releasing a patch to both EVO and Rusty's patchers pretty soon here. Should help you in the future!

As far as EVO goes, yeah I understand where you're coming from. For me the best part about EVO PC-98 is going to be just how weird the story gets. The game is fun, but it'll definitely get old and repetitive if you play it for anything more than in short bursts.
>>
>>3975505
Responding to myself, but it's possible this is an entirely unrelated issue though.
>>
>>3975505
Well damn, it seems like my installation is indeed 32bit for some reason, although my comp is 64 bit. This is also a reason that I fucking hate python, but at least no one else must feel my pain.

Speaking of the story, is the whole mars and venus fighting thing explained?
>>
>>3975539
The most you'll ever get on that front is from the timeline in the manual and a few of the lore short stories in the first section. Kind of explained, yes. Basically, the bad guy is a bad guy and made the Martians think she was not a bad guy.
>>
>>3975557
aight I'll give it a read sometime. Thanks again.
>>
File: asdas.png (153KB, 387x291px) Image search: [Google]
asdas.png
153KB, 387x291px
>>
>>3975197
Don't know the game but I sure as hell can thank you for your work. People conserving/translating obscure games are the heroes of future generations and historians and shit
>>
>>3972343
Too bad it runs like a slideshow on the psp. I'd love to play some PC-98 games on a handheld.
But atleast it runs good on PC.
>>
>>3978506
It's better on PC, you can fully benefit from the high resolution pixels.
>>
>>3973862
It'a not about age, it's about immersion and overall IQ.
An intelligent person being immersed in the language (i.e moving) can be fluent in months
>>
will there ever be a modern equivalent
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.