[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As time marches on, do you believe that old RPGs will disappear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 28

File: IMG_1511.jpg (113KB, 640x907px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1511.jpg
113KB, 640x907px
As time marches on, do you believe that old RPGs will disappear from "greatest RPGs" lists as newer RPGs replace them? Will anyone believe that FF6 and Chrono Trigger is the finest in 30 years?

Pic related, Game Informer's top 25
>>
>>3971058
much of that lists perplexes me

chrono trigger's meme status is strong. I can see it lasting 30 more years

ff6 might become a "hidden gem" in a while
>>
File: 1493987652061.jpg (135KB, 640x907px) Image search: [Google]
1493987652061.jpg
135KB, 640x907px
I find it interesting that more than a third of the games in that list aren't RPGs.
>>
>>3971065
What's your cut off point for RPGs?
>>
>>3971058

>Skyrim above Morrowind

That's all you needed to know this list is normie trash

Now I know somebody is gonna come say Daggerfall is better than Morrowind but that's actually objectively false
>>
>>3971065
I don't quite understand your criteria for an RPG in this edit. Some of your omissions I can understand but others I cannot. Would you be willing to elaborate? I will listen.
>>
>>3971198
Seconded. How does one discount Fallout 3 but leave in Skyrim?
>>
Just look at film lists to figure that out, if it's done by one person ten it's going to tip the fedora to the "classics"

If it's a popularity list then you're going t end up with something like IMDBs top 250
>>
>>3971203
Because Fallout 3's skills don't really make a big impact on your character.
>>
>>3971058
Of course, once better games come along. Look at the crap on that list already, there's plenty of room for more cream to rise to the top as games are released.

It's a terrible, possible troll list anyways. Deus Ex and Pokemon Red/Blue over G/S/C
>>
>>3971058
>As time marches on, do you believe that old RPGs will disappear from "greatest RPGs"
They already are.

Go to /v/, reddit, or really any game forum with a wide audience. Be hard to find someone not saying something retarded like Kingdom Hearts 2, some Persona game, some modern Bethesda, etc is the best.

It's unfortunate. Another really bad thing that happened is apparently to these kind of people 5th gen RPGs don't exist outside or Squaresoft and Enix games. 5th gen and that time time period of mid 90s to 2000 is without a doubt the golden age of RPGs.
>>3971217
That's why film critics are important.
>>3971230
>once better games come along
>>
>>3971231
>once better games come along

Ohh right, the classic "everything good in gaming is over forever, modern games are garbage" attitude.
>>
>>3971236
It's not an attitude. See the shitshow of hot garbage that is the ff7 remake.
>>
File: 103913-dawson-crying.jpg (45KB, 468x351px) Image search: [Google]
103913-dawson-crying.jpg
45KB, 468x351px
>>3971238
Your eternal butthurt will never cease to entertain me, anon.
>>
>>3971243
I don't like a game so I'm butthurt?
>>
>all those shit games higher than FF7
>>
>>3971251
it's not out yet fucklord
>>
File: 1484694256728.png (129KB, 1002x537px) Image search: [Google]
1484694256728.png
129KB, 1002x537px
>>3971257
/v/ is still decent for some images every now and then.
>>
File: DSCF6548copy_zps0881c003.jpg (174KB, 700x446px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6548copy_zps0881c003.jpg
174KB, 700x446px
>>3971251
You think one shitty game that was a remake of an already not all that great game means that nothing else is good and never will be again. There's always always been mounds of crappy games, and big promised flops. And there's always always been gold.

All you can do is look around, obsesses over what disappoints you and it's sad but it's also really funny to watch.
>>
>Skyrim

Jesus christ I could understand this in like 2013 but I figured even normies would have realized that Skyrim was overhyped trash that required mods to have any depth by now
>>
>>3971272
it's a bait list dude
>>
>>3971271
>There's always always been mounds of crappy games
Difference is they weren't top sellers.
>>
>>3971058
The Ultima games (sans online) has already been exercised, so maybe.
>>
>>3971065
In what universe are Diablo and ME not RPGs?
>>
>>3971238
Check out Mr Time Traveller here! Kill yourself, faggot.
>>
File: 1487557583453.jpg (52KB, 396x478px) Image search: [Google]
1487557583453.jpg
52KB, 396x478px
>>3971058
>all that wrpg shit
>skyrim at #1, morrowind at 21
>>
File: ffviipt3ygu.png (248KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
ffviipt3ygu.png
248KB, 636x358px
>>3971315
Highly debatable.
>>
>>3971330
Diablo is a hack'n'slay game and ME is a third-person shooter.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (235KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
235KB, 1280x720px
>>3971441
It's not debatable. At all. You would be a fool or a mindless idiot to think it's not the case. See pic related. That is a top selling modern RPG. Now correct me if I'm wrong about the following but I believe this was the top selling RPG on the Xbox 360.
Why do I pick this game? For the reasons above and because it released broken, it's ports were even more broken. and the game is overall complete trash. It is a modern big name RPG.

You can hate FF games for their story or graphics. The games were competently made, had excellent sound tracks, and the combat was solid.
>>
File: monh062bb2b7.gif (993KB, 240x144px) Image search: [Google]
monh062bb2b7.gif
993KB, 240x144px
>>3971459
lol FFVII was a top selling game I though was boring, and way too easy. It was the first game that made me stop reading previews it was such a let down. Disappointing and crappy big name games isn't anything new at all. But go ahead and write another big rant with your list of reasons why everything sucks now and how upset you are about it all. I'll make some popcorn.
>>
>>3971472
>lol FFVII was a top selling game I though was boring, and way too easy
That doesn't make it a bad game. It's your shitty subjective opinion.
>Disappointing and crappy big name games isn't anything new at all.
It actually is. Feel free to name me 5 bad top selling games from 3rd to 5thgen regardless of genre. Like from the top 20 selling.
>>
Ignoring the completely troll list

It's a terrifying thought but seeing how low standards are these days I think the classics will reign supreme for at least another century.
>>
>>3971065
Diabo was responsible for a resurgence in RPGs along with Baldur's Gate whether you like it or not.
>>
>>3971492
That doesn't quite make it an RPG though, does it.
>>
File: 1488646948897.jpg (80KB, 576x768px) Image search: [Google]
1488646948897.jpg
80KB, 576x768px
>>3971459
>or graphics.
But that's the only objectively good thing in FF.
>The games were competently made
Debatable, most of them have many glaring design problems, none of them have any replayability whatsoever, except maybe the first one, they can hardly even be called RPGs in the first place, but people nowadays consider stuff like Witcher or Mass Effect RPGs so I can let it pass, most people don't really like RPGs anyway.
>and the combat was solid.
Combat in FF has always been garbage though, FF has some of the worst gameplay in the entire genre, I can't see any reason to praise it unless all you know is FF, DQ and all those cookie cutter story driven RPGs of the time.

Saying that the games are good because they sold well is like saying that the Da Vinci Code is a good book because it sold well, FF sells because it has zero skill requirements, massive advertisement, looks flashy and has a bland writing that can be digested by the vast majority of the audience, and the brand power of course.
Same with all the multimillion selling games and any form of media really.
The sales figure argument is devoid of any actual indicator of quality, especially in our time and age where mediocrity is put on a pedestal precisely because of sales figures.

Would you honestly have a lower opinion of FF if it sold like shit?
>>
>>3971530
>none of them have any replayability whatsoever
Welcome to old RPGs, kiddo
>Combat in FF has always been garbage though, FF has some of the worst gameplay in the entire genre, I can't see any reason to praise it unless all you know is FF, DQ and all those cookie cutter story driven RPGs of the time.
Welcome to old RPGs, kiddo
>Saying that the games are good because they sold
I said that nowhere, kiddo. Seems the rest of the post is some repeat of that comment. Poor reading comprehension on your part.
>>
>>3971561
So you're saying that games like Ultima, Wizardry, Uncharted Waters or SaGa games had no replayability?
And that all old RPGs were linear and story driven?

Yeah, I'm not going to discuss this matters further with someone who doesn't actually play RPGs and has the balls to call someone else kiddo as a way to prove a non existent point, go fuck yourself.
>>
File: Spyro_the_Dragon.jpg (29KB, 256x252px) Image search: [Google]
Spyro_the_Dragon.jpg
29KB, 256x252px
>>3971480
I could but you would say it's my shitty subjective opinion and because you grew up with it, it's a great game. And you're in the right, but the kid growing up with CoD or Halo or whatever who likes whatever he played is wrong.

It's comedy gold.
>>
File: Strawman.jpg (46KB, 720x536px) Image search: [Google]
Strawman.jpg
46KB, 720x536px
>>3971583
>So you're saying that games like Ultima, Wizardry, Uncharted Waters or SaGa games had no replayability?
>And that all old RPGs were linear and story driven?

Yes my statement was an absolute and was meant to be applied to all RPGs. You are an example of clear mental health and of having high comprehension skills.
>>
>>3971058
Chrono Trigger is tied with FF7 for the "OoT of JRPGs" title, neither are going away anytime soon because they're easy gaymur cred.

FF6 is already forgotten, I'd say. I highly doubt most people today have even heard of the FFs before the PSX ones, and I doubt they've actually played any before the PS2 ones. For most, FFX is THE FF.
>>
>>3971595
>CoD
>Halo
>good games
We're done here.
>>
>>3971602
But Spyro is great, right? lol

It's not that I think Halo was great, it's that I think your hypocrisy is delightful.
>>
>>3971610
You're saying Spyro was bad? At least it released in a complete state even if you don't like it for w/e reason.

I think kids like you are funny when they fail to find a bad top selling old game like I asked before.
>>
>>3971058
Honestly, if it such a thing were going to happen, I believe it already would have happened.
>>
>>3971452
RPG in and of itself does not define a combat system.
>>
>>3971058
The actually terminology has blurred. For most people, an RPG was a "classic" JRPG.

Meaning
>Final Fantasy
>Dragon Warrior/Quest
>All games based on these, like Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, SMRPG, etc.

Basically the line has blurred. People are using RPG as a broad brush for everything. Something like Skyrim and Dark Souls don't belong in the same category because they are barely similar.
>>
>>3971620
>You're saying Spyro was bad?
Yes.
>At least it released in a complete state even

Like that matters when the game sucks.

>playing the "you must be a kid card" again.
>>
>>3971635
>it sucks because I said so
K, kid.
>>
RPG's should have the most longevity of any game type. I always thought that Fallout 2 and Morrowind where objectively the best RPG ever. I understand the Bladur's Gate love as well, I just wish it had more freedom. I'd rather buildmy entire party like FF1. But I don't really enjoy party RPG's unless they are multiplayer, like actual DnD.

RPG's are a genre that is getting much worse over time. Fighting games are starting down this path now as well. So the fact people put the new ones so high is strange. But maybe if games are anything like film, people will study them, figure out why they are great, and the classics will never lose their place. Vertigo, Citizen Kane, 2001...those films will always be top 10.
>>
File: sherm521.gif (167KB, 400x150px) Image search: [Google]
sherm521.gif
167KB, 400x150px
>>3971638
:)
>>
>>3971254
which of them are actually worse than FF7?
>>
It already happened since that list doesn't include any Ultima games other than Online.
>>
>>3971492
>Diabo was responsible for a resurgence in RPGs along with Baldur's Gate
Not really, since Diablo was just taking Ultima 8, paring it down to clicking and looting, and decreasing the brightness.

If Diablo and the games that followed it caused a resurgence in RPGs, they caused a bad one.
>>
>>3971058
>As time marches on, do you believe that old RPGs will disappear from "greatest RPGs" lists as newer RPGs replace them?
Yes.
>Will anyone believe that FF6 and Chrono Trigger is the finest in 30 years?
Maybe.

The thing is video games are still young enough that you can experience most classics from all generations in a single lifetime. Once video games become old enough, and as there are many more of them, people will reduce the amount of the older ones they consume as it will be more time consuming to try all those games. In a sense games are going to become like movies, where people sometimes have heard of the old ones, but mostly only really know of the classic ones, and never really delve into those. To be fair I already see that kind of happening now, I know kids who never even bothered downloading an emulator to play some cool old games they might've heard about like I used to when I was their age.
>>
>>3971065
>Fallout 3 isn't a RPG
>But Skyrim is
>>
>>3972067
>Ultima games
Ultima and its clone series Dragon Warrior are something like a Ford Model-T within the video game sphere: innovative, popular, and tremendously influential, but ultimately a damn jalopy. They've been surpassed.
>>
>>3971060
>chrono trigger's meme status is strong
Fuck it, I'll take the bait. What are you even on about? Did you just really want to use the word "meme"?
>>
>>3971251
It hasn't even released yet you're already crying on image boards about it. By definition, yes, you're butthurt. I'm not thrilled about the remake but holy shit, I can at least wait until I PLAY IT before I need to lambast it online.
>>
>>3971452
Holy shit the b8 levels are ridiculous up in here.
>>
>>3971601
>for most FFX is THE FF
But it is. .
>>
>>3971519
The RPG mechanics do though.
>>
>>3972606
the worst
Sorry, guise, accidentally deleted the rest of the post
>>
>>3972132
I've played a shitload of JRPGs in my time and enjoyed almost none of them. And you know what? DQI was one of the select few I did enjoy. It's got the right blend of time investment vs. reward, holds your hand just enough to set you on the right path without you feeling like you're being strung along, has very little plot which is great considering 99% of JRPG plots are garbage, and it's over just before it starts to get repetitive. Also, don't care what anyone says about Toriyama, his designs are great, specially monster designs.
>>
I doubt it, nobody knows how to make a decent RPG anymore

As much as I enjoyed recent games like Witcher 3 they are not RPGs anymore. That said people still call Zelda an RPG, so there really is no hope.
>>
>>3972610
FFX is honestly the only one worth playing. Its kinda short and some cutscenes are a little autistic but its pretty much perfect. Debate me
>>
>>3972627
>literally the antithesis of the FFs before it
>only one worth playing

So you never liked the series in the first place? Should've opened with that so we knew to disregard your opinion.
>>
>>3972643
Oh sorry let me dickride FFVII some more.
>>
>>3972627
>Tunnel: the game
>Tidus
>Yuna
>Wakka
>Khimari
>Rikku
>MOTHERFUCKING SEYMOUR
>Every villain's motivation is a literal "save the world by destroying it", the awful cliche mostly spouted by retards who do not know anything about the genre
>Retarded romance after passable Rinoa/Squall and outright great Garnet/Zidane
>The world makes no sense despite the island aesthetic being great
>Sphere Grid might as well have been non-existent with changeable professions opening up after a level threshold
>Everyone sucks off the battle system just for having turns again, when in reality it changes absolutely nothing, the combat is more spammable than ever
>Cloisters of Trials
>Bleeetzball and the rest of the minigames, needed to obtain ultimate weapons, are absolutely godawful
>Exploration is absent, even though traveling to new locations was always the heart of the series
>The story is 95% pointless exposition, not one city has an interesting viginette or side-story associated with it, the Seymour storyline starts out of nowhere and goes nowhere. The story that consists mostly of your characters gearing up for the big bad fight gets boring fast
>outright dumb shit like frozen lake teleporting into desert and dream Zanarkand as a whole
>Summons are overpowered so much you can cheese early post-game bosses with them, not to mention every single main story bossfight
>Auron and Jecht, the only two interesting characters, get shit-all in terms of development, even wth Jecht Spheres
>CGI actually makes characters look worse
>4 tiny cities, all of them literally smaller than IX, VIII or VII cities
My list of problems with this game is fucking endless. X-2 was literally a mechanically better game and I would have enjoyed it much more if the end goal and the reward for Yuna wasn't bringing Teedus back.
>>
>>3972669
I respect you taking the time to type that out. I agree with many points , redpill me on FF anon. Change my ways ive played most of them and IX and X are still my favorites.
>>
>>3972669
The CGI was really good though , and from I like that the protagonist doesnt know anything about the world so its explained to the player in a way that is relatable. Auron is the best character and blitzball makes me want to kill myself. Also jrpgs rarely have good villain motivations anyway
>>
>>3972669
>X-2 was literally a mechanically better game

X-2 has the best gameplay of any FF game and I'm willing to fight anyone over it. Shame everything else about the game sucked.
>>
>>3972692
I don't know what to repdill you on, really. IX and VI are my favorites. If you really liked X, I can only respect your opinion. I myself just couldn't look past the game's flaws on the replay. Try XII if you haven't yet, I believe it did core aspects of FF justice, banking on exploration and an interesting storyline (much of it hidden and only hinted at) while streamlining combat besides tactical level. It was really unfinished tho, but if XIII tried that formula again we possibly would have had another great FF.
>>3972704
CGI was and still is great but Tidus looks like a mongoloid in many shots, which is fucking hilarious sometimes. I also think that Kuja from the previous FF had a similar on the surface-level, but actually fucking rad motivation of blowing up the world because he was a selfish gay-ass primadonna prick who refused to just come to terms with his own mortality, which tied in well with the theater motif of the game. Sephiroth's motives, while dim on their own, were pretty cool thematically in relation to parasitism, humans and Jenova.
>>3972717
I fucking wish they would use such an active Job system at least for some other spin-off game. But realistically, we're never getting something like that again. Enjoy O-mashing.
>>
ITT: Autists confusing 'bad game' with 'I don't like game'.
>>
>>3972717
It was also trivial unless you did the optional things in the international version (which also gives you the goddamn Catnip right off the bat). I mean, imagine how much more dangerous Shuyin would've been if he had SOS-Haste and Slowga.
>>
>>3971058

Chrono Trigger has aged a lot better than FF6 has, and this is coming from a guy who played it religiously
>>
>>3971058
Any "greatest RPGs" list that doesn't have Ultima 7 Complete on it is already hot garbage and should be ignored.
>>
You know, following World War 2 there was a huge surge of novels being written. Printing technology had advanced, people were more literate and had more disposable income so novels just started pouring out and never stopped since then but no more GREAT novels were written than had been written before and many of them took much longer to truly be appreciated from being lost in the flood.

There's no danger of so many incredible RPGs being released as time goes on that the greatest RPGs of the past will be pushed aside. Even if there begins to be just as many from the 21st century as there are from the 20th, they'll have a different enough flavor that different players will appreciate them differently.

The idea of making a new thing just like an old thing but better never ever makes something great - although it can definitely make something profitable.
>>
File: 1486342730421.png (78KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1486342730421.png
78KB, 800x800px
I like Skyrim but
What? #1 RPG?
This has to be a joke or they thought it would be a safe answer that they thought their target audience would agree on.
>>
>>3973172
Concerning open world games it's the best
>>
>>3973191
It's not even the best open world game on that list
>>
File: 1493947319828.png (292KB, 624x480px) Image search: [Google]
1493947319828.png
292KB, 624x480px
true list right here

20. Oblivion
19. Vampire
18. Dark Souls
17. Earthbound
16. World of Warcraft
15. Fallout
14. Final Fantasy IV
13. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
12. Deus Ex
11. Fallout New Vegas
10. Diablo 2
9. Baldur's Gate
8. Chrono Trgger
7. Pokemon G/S/Crystal
6. Knights of the Old Republic
5. Morrowind
4. Final Fantasy VI
3. Fallout 2
2. Planescape Torment
1. Baldur's Gate 2
>>
>>3973162
pic related is one of the worst novels i've ever read
>>
>>3971220
>Massive amount of shaky gun syndrome unless you dump all points to guns
>Stats don't affect you
>>
>>3971595
You have to face facts. My opinions are superior to others. I don't like a game because it is good, the game is good BECAUSE I like it.
>>
>>3972616
Yeah, toriyama might have a severe diagnosis of "same face syndrome" but I really love his art for monsters, and also technology, like motorbikes and robots and stuff.
>>
>>3971058

>no Skies of Arcadia
>>
>not a single SaGa game
>>
File: SaGa_Frontier_US_box_art.jpg (57KB, 256x255px) Image search: [Google]
SaGa_Frontier_US_box_art.jpg
57KB, 256x255px
>>3973481
At least post a good one
>>
File: 2364646-snes_romancingsaga3_jp.jpg (3MB, 2100x1145px) Image search: [Google]
2364646-snes_romancingsaga3_jp.jpg
3MB, 2100x1145px
>>3973484
Bitch please
>>
>>3972075
>Diablo was just taking Ultima 8, paring it down to clicking and looting, and decreasing the brightness.

Odd way of putting it, considering Diablo was originally designed to be a roguelike you play real time. It was never meant to be an RPG.
>>
>>3971459
>See pic related. That is a top selling modern RPG. Now correct me if I'm wrong about the following but I believe this was the top selling RPG on the Xbox 360

Could you be more asinine if you tried? MUA us a good game but nobody ever in the history of videogames called it the best anything. Stop trying to rewrite history.
>>
>>3973797
Have you ever even played Rogue? It's an RPG. If you think it isn't, I'd like to see the mental gymnastics where Rogue isn't one, but Dungeon Hack is because it uses AD&D rules.
>>
>>3973809
But it was popular and he didn't like it. Since his opinion is the one objective true one on earth it means everyone who played it is a shitter asshole baby who is ruining gaming for everyone else.
>>
File: rogue_1.png (3KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
rogue_1.png
3KB, 320x200px
>>3973815
Please be baiting. Roguelikes and RPGs are similar but different genres. Yes I have played Rogue. A lot. And the genre it spawned is among my favorite in all gaming.

I am not going to exhaustively break down the differences in the genres for you, you can go read about it on your own if you don't already know. But please do so before you try talking about the genre more.
>>
>>3971058
Kingdom Hearts 2 was horrible. The stupid clothes transformations took away from the core gameplay. Also, Donald and Goofy couldn't kill anything anymore. They can literally wail on an enemy for 20 minutes and it won't die until you go over and poke it.

Not to mention they don't even show up in the final boss fight, so any work you put into leveling them or their equipment was completely moot
>>
>>3973831
Roguelike is a subgenre. Rogue is an RPG.
>>
>>3973809
>>3973824
>game releases in a broken pile of shit state
>not an objective statement of why the game is bad
And the modern garbage game defense crew is here.
>>
>>3973838
Incorrect.

>I am not going to exhaustively break down the differences in the genres for you, you can go read about it on your own if you don't already know. But please do so before you try talking about the genre more.
>>
>>3973874
WRONG
you won't list them because the differences between traditional roguelikes and dungeon crawlers are more minor than the differences between rpgs like ultima and wizardry
>>
>>3971058
Anon, given enough time, human civilization will be wiped out and all games forgotten. It might not even take that long for that to happen, given how the 21st century is going, with climate change, nuclear war, overpopulation, and increasing potential of catastrophic global epidemics.

:D
>>
File: Fishing_md.jpg (100KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
Fishing_md.jpg
100KB, 500x300px
>>3973884
Not even close. But you probably know that unless you're legitimately retarded.

kid tier bait/10
>>
>>3973905
sure showed me with those hot arguments
>>
File: Tribes2box1_orginal.jpg (47KB, 395x493px) Image search: [Google]
Tribes2box1_orginal.jpg
47KB, 395x493px
>>3973864
This game also released in a broken state. Didn't stop it from becoming excellent.
>>
>>3973919
fantastic FPS
i blame sierra for rushing it and then shutting down the devs
>>
>>3973914
I explicitly told you I wasn't going to go out of my way to explain it to you. There are plenty of places that will describe what roguelikes are if you don't actually know. It's not my problem that you're ignorant and it's not my job to educate you.

Willful ignorance is pathetic.
>>
>>3973919
>tribes
>excellent
Maybe with cyka blyats.
>>
>>3973927
those same places list roguelikes as subgenres of RPGs
but it's easier to just direct someone somewhere while pretending you're right isn't it?
>>
>>3973930
0/10 grow the fuck up
>>
>>3971058
>Pokemon Red/Blue with all the broken shit it had
really
>>
>>3973941
High popularity points. Low overall quality.
>>
>>3973935
How about you provide an actual argument or proof that Rogue is widely not considered an RPG? It's more or less like pedit5 or one of the various early dungeon crawling RPGs on the PLATO system. If anything you need to grow up with your "lol no ur dumb just look it up" attitude.
>>
>>3973928
lol
>>
>>3973928
i don't even remember there being many russian servers for T2
it was all about war2003, classic mode, and construction mod
>>
>>3973959
You tribetards can yell and make shit up all you want. It wont make that shit game nearly as respected as Quake and Unreal are outside of Russia.
>>
>>3971058
>Will anyone believe that FF6 and Chrono Trigger is the finest in 30 years
>implying it was
>>
>>3973964
i was playing all three of those in the early 2000s and there were tons of american servers for tribes i'm not sure what point you're even trying to make
>>
>>3973948
Because even though they are similar and share common roots, the differences between the genres are both easy to find and understand for anyone actually interested.

What incentive do I have to go out of my way to explain it to someone who acts like a bratty child? I strongly suspect this is all an attempt to waste my time.

Start here if you're serious about not knowing and too dumb to use google yourself. I am done with you. http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
>>
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453

Best list for wRPGs. Adjust for your needs as a storyfag, combatfag or explorationfag as needed.
>>
>>3974008
The rogue article on that website only reinforces my point.
>>
>>3974048
>the authors sought to combine a traditional "dice" RPG with the original Crowther/Woods interactive fiction game Colossal Cave Adventure.

That's how subgenres form, which is what Rogue is. It's related to an RPG but a different kind of game.

Read the article on Diablo while you're there.
>>
>>3974073
Do you not comprehend the sub part of a subgenre? Rogue is an RPG.
>>
>>3974078
You are such a tool it's mind boggling.
>>
>>3974031
Why have I never finished a western RPG despite their freedom, shorter playtimes, and deep character customization, what's wrong with me.
>>
File: 1492298493140.png (768KB, 1280x1172px) Image search: [Google]
1492298493140.png
768KB, 1280x1172px
>>3974008

> I strongly suspect this is all an attempt to waste my time.
>>
>>3971602
Great, now instead of the Cowadoody kids, we have the "everything shooter is bad" kids who grew up watching the Cowadoody kids. You need to kill yourself.
CoD and Halo have some good games.
>>
>>3974102
I know, I should have never replied. :/

>>3974103
He's probably also the one who tried to say Tribes sucks.
>>
>In this RPG you play the role of Peter Pepper who must save the burgers from you arch nemesis Mr.Pickles, I.C. Wiener, and Eggman foo Yung. The whole restaurant is <wink> at steak.
>>
>>3974090
It's mind boggling how you try to argue Rogue, or games like it such as Moria, Dungeon Hack, or Diablo are not RPGs because "there are differences in the genre". I have my Dungeon Hack box on the shelf right now and random dungeons are not enough to make it a different genre.
>>
>>3974103
>defending console shooters
K
>>
>>3974136
Show us your hours on them, faggot. Show us you actually played a SINGLE level of what you criticize.
>>
>>3974129
They qualify as Isometric action RPGs. I don't know why Dark Souls and BloodBorne are on there though. Those are 3d platformers.
>>
>>3974141
Dungeon Hack isn't even isometric and neither is Rogue or Moria.
>>
>>3974145
I guess I haven't played those. Diablo and Balder's gate are RPGs. Different than FF6 and Chonotrigger, but RPGs.
>>
>>3974129
Rouglikes are very different from RPGs. They're related, yes and share similar roots of tabletop gaming. But calling them the same genre makes the whole purpose of genre distinctions pointless.

I'm sure you'll have plenty more vitriol because all you want is a fight, but you can keep it. I've wasted way too much time on you.
>>
>>3971058

No Valkyrie Profile >_>
>>
>>3974152
You're the one spouting vitriol left and right while trying to play the victim. You keep glossing over the games I mention and go straight to arguing about genre distinctions. I don't care what Roguelikes are defined as now, Moria and Rogue are like early computer RPGs and Diablo was inspired by these games.
>>
>>3974159
All I did was mention it's odd to refer to Diablo like it's a variant of Ultima 8 when it's a well documented fact it was made as a roguelike in real time. Then hours of you insisting that there's no difference between genres and it's my job to explain it all to you. It was classic trolling and I'm embarrassed I am even explaining this part.

Congrats, but fuck you.
>>
File: 1487255039638.jpg (117KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1487255039638.jpg
117KB, 1440x1080px
>>3974138
>You have to play hours in a shit games to know it's shit
>>
>>3974210
Actually it was made with turn based in mind before switching to real-time later on. I wasn't even the one who mentioned Ultima 8 but your insistence on Diablo not being an RPG caused me to reply. Congrats on still trying to play the victim while hurling insults.
>>
File: 250px-BoFIVBox.png (157KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-BoFIVBox.png
157KB, 250x250px
Might as well ask here I guess.

Anything similar to the way rows work on BoF4? Basically you have three characters in front and three in the back and can have anyone moved to the front or back at any time in battle. Had a lot of fun with this but nothing else comes to mind similar to it.
>>
>>3974274
Suikoden series? Not retro but Magical series? They have the two rows of three character things, not sure about switching position in the middle of battle though.
>>
>>3974232
>Diablo not being an RPG caused me to reply

It's not. Not everything that's related to an RPG is an RPG. Genre distinctions exist for a reason. Diablo, Nethack and Ultima are all related but very different kinds of games.
>>
>>3974416
They're all RPGs.
>>
File: RetroArch-0506-222640.png (11KB, 1333x1000px) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-0506-222640.png
11KB, 1333x1000px
>>3974274
Lufia 3
>>
>>3974274
The Rance games do this. In Rance 6 you have a party of 16 with 6 people out at any given time.
>>
>>3973484
He did post a good one.
>>
File: fishing1362110691.jpg (55KB, 499x600px) Image search: [Google]
fishing1362110691.jpg
55KB, 499x600px
>>3974417
Top quality bait, old chap. Andlet me guess, so is Legend of Zelda, Simon's Quest, Snatcher, Monster World, Beyond Oasis, Golden Axe, Donkey Kong 64...
>>
>>3974531
Those lack RPG mechanics unlike Diablo, Nethack, or Ultima.
>>
>>3974537
That's something at least. To bad there's more to a genre than just one aspect of it's mechanics. Roguelikes and RPGs are not the same genre.
>>
>>3974561
One is a subgenre of the other.
>>
>>3974564
One started as an offshoot subgenre. They're now separate genres entirely.
>>
>>3974572
Roguelikes are literally stripped-down tabletop games
>>
>>3974572
Says who?
And if so, then clearly NetHack and Diablo are still RPGs because they don't retroactively get turned into different genres.
>>
>>3974574
They're another interpretation of a video game version of tabletop roleplaying, but as with normal RPG games they're really not very similar in the end aside from some basic mechanics.

>>3974578
Rogue is the offshoot. By the time of Nethack rougelikes came into their own as a distinct genre.
>>
File: ROGUELIKE.png (50KB, 1583x226px) Image search: [Google]
ROGUELIKE.png
50KB, 1583x226px
>>
>>3974383
>>3974450
>>3974473
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll look into these. Sounds weird but it really made combat fun, switching strategies and what combos you can do whenever.
>>
>>3974642
Sweet allcaps bro. They're still different genres.
>>
>>3974274
Suikoden bruh
>>
>>3974157
Valkyrie Profile isn't an RPG
>>
>>3974656
You don't have as much control, but Lunar games have your characters move around the battle area and positioning is important for managing AOE buffs, attacks, etc.
Thread posts: 160
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.