[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any games that come close to this one in terms of solving

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: Planescape-Logo.jpg (72KB, 800x420px) Image search: [Google]
Planescape-Logo.jpg
72KB, 800x420px
Are there any games that come close to this one in terms of solving things by conversations and writing in general?

I've tried Pillars of Eternity but most solutions are just obscure knowledge done by lore checks or what have you or "I'll bash yo face in lol!" instead of clever dialogue.

Please help.
>>
For the record, PoE had troubled development, hence the shit writing. Don't play Tyranny, my nigger.

If you haven't already, play Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and their expansions. Do not play the "enhanced" editions.

You should also play Fallout 1, 2, and Arcanum. Morrowind, maybe?
>>
>>3969830
Tyranny is bad? How's the Torment game, the new one?

I actually never played through Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. How's the writing? Is talking a viable option "most" of the time? (I'm aware that there will be more combat, don't mind that.)

Cheers to the other solutions, they're due for a replay anyway.
>>
>>3969821
Arcanum. It has pretty awful combat, though.
>>
>>3969838
I've been trying to get info on the new Torment game, but I don't know anyone who's played it. Guess i'll have to do some YouTubing.

Some of the humor in BG1-2 is quirky/old fashioned/doesn't hold up, but you might find it charming. If you like retro games, esp retro PC games, you might find it charming. Otherwise, the writing is pretty damn good, but it's not fucking Herman Melville or Ovid.
>>
>>3969841
I'll manage, thanks!

>>3969845
Might give it a pirate and buy it if it's at least more playable than PoE. For some reason that game really striked me the wrong way, no idea what it is.

But the BG1/2 thing sounds good, worked for me in planescape. Thanks again.
>>
I wonder if videogames will ever have realistic conversational AI. Ity's something I've dreamed of ever since those old educational games on Acorn or BBC Micro where you'd chat to a Roman woman about life hanging about the forum or some merchant about life trading with the dutch.
>>
>>3969830

the enhanced editions are fine dude, you just have to download the original FMVs for the first game
>>
>>3969867
http://archive.is/NDxYI
>>
>>3969876
Isn't most that ignorable if you just don't play the new expansion?
>>
>>3970027
yeah it might be. i don't know.
>>
>>3969861
Eh, if they'd at least spend more time writing conversations, that'd be a step in the right direction.
>>
>>3969841
>be young
>get arcanum
>more and far better non-violent solutions to problems than I've ever seen in a game
>make broken magic killbarbarian because I can't understand english

good times
>>
File: 9941_back.jpg (98KB, 563x700px) Image search: [Google]
9941_back.jpg
98KB, 563x700px
>>3969821
>>
>>3969876
>>3970027
>>3970032
http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1135-disable-enhanced-edition-npcs/
>>
never understood the appeal of these type of games
>"You can skip any gameplay our game may have in favour of dialogue options!!!"
how riveting
>>
>>3969841
The game has three combat modes you can switch in and out of in options. Real time, Turn based, and fast turn base.

ftb is pretty enjoyable imho
>>
>>3971193
Could've told him it was called Arcanum
>>
>>3971208
Yeah let me just have three mental scores that show intelligence, wisdom, and charisma, and be forced to murder absolutely everyone who even looks at me funny
>>
>>3971215
Says Arcanum if you read it.
Lemon law.
>>
>>3971204
Hey cool, thanks!

>>3971208
Well, people "play" visual novels with light gameplay elements, too. Sure I could play most games with a burly barbarian but sometimes you just want to be a clever bastard.
>>
>>3971264
>sometimes you just want to be a clever bastard.
I'd feel like a clever bastard if I actually got to create my own dialogue options by improvising or something, this is just "here are your options according to this stat", meh
>>
Why is nobody mentioning Tides of Numenera?

I've never played it but it might be what you're looking for.
>>
>>3971305
Whoops. Someone mentioned it in the third post. Silly me.
>>
>>3969838
baldurs gate 1 and 2 are good games, but there really arent any real dialog, its like torment without the lore checks

fallout 1 and 2 have the choices, real wasteland atmosphere you just go for the water chip, no one cares about human life or if the good towns people will help you or the bad mobsters
arcanum has good writing and you have options to solve the quests as well.

but neither one of the games will hold your hand, and hard to play, compared to baldurs gate they are unbearable for me.

also, if you are not a contrarian fag, dont mind if the game will hold your hand at a minimum level, than try out dragon age origins.
it has choices if you are not a fag and only want to be a good boy, if you believe that in the atmosphere, it can make you feel like baldurs gate or fallout, as you will be paranoid, that if you do not do this choice right now you will not be able to do it later.
>>
>>3971275
I'd feel like a badass warrior if I actually got to choose where to swing and when, but instead its just click and "here's how much damage you do according to these stats", meh
>>
>>3969856
for me gameplaywise:
poe>bg1>bg2>fallout games>torment>arcanum

in torment you do not need tactics, but at least you can manage your companions
in arcanum you cant
the fallout games are hard, and turn based
in the baldurs gate games you have to control your companions, and have some kind of plan, or special spells, and with those spells you can have different fights
but its still going to be boring as only spellcasters have spells, but not that many, and the figters have nothing just their loot
in poe you can actually do things with all of your party members
>>
Tides of numenera
>>
>>3971819
IWD is better than BG/BG2 if you want the sick RTwP tactics experience. PoE wins out just for pure technical superiority but IWD is goddamn fantastic.
>>
>>3971208

yeah a proper mechanical system for conversation is needed that's as deep and fun as the combat system before that type of thing can truly make sense
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.