[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm in the market for a Dreamcast and I stumbled upon a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: Sega_Dreamcast (1).jpg (2MB, 4540x2200px) Image search: [Google]
Sega_Dreamcast (1).jpg
2MB, 4540x2200px
I'm in the market for a Dreamcast and I stumbled upon a BIOS modded one which should be completely region free. Is it worth it for a couple dozen bucks more?

How is the BIOS mod even done?
>>
>>3969621
If you mess with BIOS it will break the console.
>>
>>3969621
>Is it worth it
It boggles the mind why people ask this. As if we some how know how important it is to you and how much you are willing/able to spend.

There are different ways of doing the mod. You can do anything from a simple replacement to dual boot with a switch. You can do it with lots of wires running all over the place held in place by hot glue or you can do it neatly.
>>
>>3969621
I don't know what BIOS is, but we used to have one that would play anything and it was fucking awesome. At the time, PS2 and Gamecube were just hitting their stride of good titles, but we always ended up playing the fucking dreamcast instead.
>>
>>3971594
The BIOS mod lets you play originals from a different region. A standard DC can play selfboots that are region free.
>>
>modding retro consoles
>destroying a limited piece of hardware to meet your modern specifications
>not just emulating like the modern hipster you are, and leaving actual consoles to actual retro enthusiasts like us
Fuck off.
>>
Probably not. You'll end up mostly using burned games and boot discs to force VGA box compatibility anyway.
>>
>>3969621
I thought the Dreamcast was already region free.
>>
>>3972246
saturn needs a modchip though
emulation is shit
>>
>>3972651

lrn2mednafen newfaggot
>>
>>3969624
>implying the other yous ITT are as retarded as you

>>3972246
>destroying a limited piece of hardware
If you can't mod a console without destroying it you have no business using things that run on electricity. You're likely to electrocute yourself and burn your parents basement down.
>>
>>3969621
>modded Dreamcast
:c
>>
>>3972651

Saturn doesn't need a modchip anymore ever since Pseudo Saturn/Pseudo Saturn Kai. All you need is a chinkshit Action Replay clone and the ability to swap discs.
>>
>>3975360
Cool story kid. Your Saturn has two cart slots so you can play cart games?
>>
>>3969621

Can't you just chainload out-of-region games with an action replay or some kind of bootdisc?
>>
>>3975743
You can but it means you have to swap disc multiple times. Heavy lifting for a millennial. kek
>>
>>3969621
No. You can very easily burn a boot disc making it entirely region free. If you have a CD-R lying around, congrats you can do it for free. Otherwise blow a whopping $5 on like a ten pack.

>>3975743
>>3976959
It requires one simple disc swap with a burned boot disc. That's it.
>>
>>3976959
What is heavy lifting for you, isn't for most.
>>
File: Ruber.jpg (5KB, 108x202px) Image search: [Google]
Ruber.jpg
5KB, 108x202px
sorry this is the most relevant thread i could find

what the shit is this capsule toy from shenmue

is it something from nights?
>>
>>3976968
>>3976970
You kids probably couldn't do a simple disc swap without putting someones eye out.
>>
>>3972651
No one sells Saturn modchips anymore. The supply has dried up.
>>
>>3977646

You the same edgy teen from the N64 thread? Goddamn you're pathetic.
>>
>>3975741
Not him but most action replays also act as 1,2,3,4 Meg carts if I'm not mistaken? So you can still play games like xmen vs sf and shit
>>
>>3977680

dude i just bought one last week, look up the phantom universal
>>
>>3977680
>No one sells Saturn modchips anymore. The supply has dried up.

bullshit, we have more sources now than ever. You can get them from fucking Ebay now.
>>
>>3975360
Pseudo is a piece of shit with limited compatibility, it hogs the cart slot you use for saves, and it is unreliable because it uses the cart slot. And you need to go through a menu to boot games.

>>3977713
It only acts as a 4meg cart and only if you use an action replay; it will also glitch up with SNK games like KOF SamSho or Metal Slug (those need 1mb carts, not 4mb ones, and no, AR doesn't switch, it's 4mb only).
>>
>>3976968
>doing the swap disc trick
yeah, go ahead and fuck up your saturn by doing that
>>
>>3977812
Millennial faggot, just because YOU bricked your Saturn by incorrectly doing the swap trick doesn't mean anyone else has.
>>
>>3977818

Yup, it's the same shithead.
>>
>>3977753
No you can't. There's only one for sale on ebay right now and it's an auction.
>>3977749
Oh dang that looks easy. Is r43ds the only place to buy them? Why would I do this over the (much cheaper) PsuedoSaturn?
>>
Do CD-Rs damage your consoles over time?

A lot of people say CD-Rs are less reflective than pressed discs and cause the disc drive to work harder, making it wear out faster.

There also seem to be debates about how important it is to use the right discs or burners, and how important each factor is. Some people think certain brands will lead to better discs, which will cause less damage to your consoles

But I can't find much hard evidence to back up these claims. Just anecdotes. And nasty fights.
>>
>a couple dozen bucks more

What kind of retarded nigger talks like this?
>>
>>3977865
>No you can't. There's only one for sale on ebay right now and it's an auction.

Idiot.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152537642215
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232324171681
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232324167644
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232314222259
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232314191667
>>
>>3977879
Turning the console on will damage it over time. Leaving it out in the sun will damage it over time.

Best not think too hard about that.
>>
>>3977508
Space Harrier
>>
>>3978268
Doesn't seem to be from it.
>>
File: fb_spaceharrierC.jpg (176KB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
fb_spaceharrierC.jpg
176KB, 640x320px
>>3978271
>>
>>3969621
>Is it worth it
On a console that has no protection and you can download any game from any region to work on a cd-r? fucking no it isn't worth it.
>>
>>3978212
Nothing wrong with wanting to preserve your consoles as much as possible while also playing them.
>>
>>3978771
Then you should only buy sealed units and put them in a safe.
>>
>>3978268
THANK YOU
>>3978274
>>
>>3972651
A guy is mamong a flashcart for saturn. In that case it's actually preserving the original hardware though since Saturn's are all going to be dead soon
>>
>>3977713
Those are games that need extra RAM. There are games that need an actual ROM cart that the AR doesn't do. And your AR doesn't do shit except pseudo once it's flashed with pseudo.
>>
>>3978786
>while also playing them
>>
>>3981857
>>3978786
>>3978771
>>3978212
>>3977879
Unless someone (ever) comes with actual evidence I advise you to ignore it
>>
Assuming I don't care about the fighting games that use the cart slot, why should i shell out for a modchip over using psuedo saturn? Modchip is more expensive and more work.
>>
>>3984658
Because you care about other types of games that use the cart slot? Or, you know, just play bomberman forever alone.
>>
tfw never had a fully working one. bought one last year to play shenmue. almost finished the first disc, stopped reading any games, did the tweak, got it working a bit more, stopped working. bought another one from a mom and pop retro store. same issue. returned that one and havent tried again. really just wanna play shenmue but the dreamcast emulator is shit.
>>
>>3987047
Sounds like your copy of Shenmue is cursed bruh
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.