[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would I mitigate all the problems with old games, lag and whatnot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1486977268445.jpg (187KB, 976x640px) Image search: [Google]
1486977268445.jpg
187KB, 976x640px
Would I mitigate all the problems with old games, lag and whatnot that you homomen always talk about, if I hooked a CRT TV to my computer through an adapter and set the display to 240p? Or are the problems also tied to emulation as opposed to real hardware?
>>
>>3967598

Emulation isn't perfect and it introduces input lag, but a CRT would still be beneficial.
>>
Contrary to popular belief, lag is most often due to un-optimized programming rather than "the console not being able to take it" like a lot of people say.

However some emulators can improve some games in other aspects. For instant, some NES games will have a lot less tile flicker if you turn on the "no sprite limit" setting.
>>
>>3968447
there's parts of games I can't beat without the console lagging
>>
>>3967598
Too many variables, polesmoker. What CRT, what computer, which video output type (HDMI? VGA?)?
>>
>>3968536
Oh, and keep it to the containment thread so i don't have to deal with the shitposting that normally occurs. Thanks.
>>
It's important to realize that even real consoles have input delay. It's very low considering they're solid state, purpose built hardware but it's still there. Computer hardware is getting to the point where it may soon be able to emulate up to 4th gen consoles with equal or less delay (even including USB polling which used to be a major limiting factor). The people over at libretro are pretty serious about researching that topic if you'd like to read almost scholarly articles about it. Back in the day it was mainly SHMUPMAME that was obsessed with these things including insistence that input must go through the PS/2 keyboard ports (preferably through IPACs or JPACs). Awareness of delay is slowly trickling down through the entire community as it becomes easier and easier to mitigate.

Eventually one will be able to easily build an emulation station that from an input/output view is indistinguishable from (or "better" than) 100% authentic hardware but you'll still have some people claiming they can "feel the warmth" of the real hardware or whatever.

It's kind of like analog audiophiles. One of my crackpot schemes has been to use the reel-to-reel recorders and carton full of blank reels I picked up cheap at an estate sale to record lossless high bandwidth flacs of obscure bootlegs from dark corners of the internet and sell them to those people on ebay as authentic all there needs to be is a large enough, wealthy enough poser community.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.