[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>John Romero has personally invited you to his gold plated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 11

File: romero daikatan.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
romero daikatan.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>John Romero has personally invited you to his gold plated game studio
>He asks you to change something about Daikatana 1 month before it goes gold

What do you fix?
>>
FUCK

WHERE DO I EVEN BEGIN
>>
>>3964016
add a suicide move for the sword
>>
I'm not even going to pretend I'm capable of fixing it. I'll just smile and say "Good luck, John!"
>>
File: WAT.png (50KB, 180x191px) Image search: [Google]
WAT.png
50KB, 180x191px
You know where it goes, John.
>>
>>3964016
not without my buddy superfly
>>
>>3964016
>this assuming he actually has a daikatana and used it to travel foward from 2000 to the current year and will let me bring whatever i need back in time
give him the code to the 1.3 patch and the ones before it and tell him to patch it in.
pretty much the biggest issue with daikatana on release was the ai, or lack thereof.
1.3 ends up retooling the ai drastically (among other minor things) and turns release daikatana from absolute dogshit to kinda alright
>>
>>3964016
he'll become my bitch
>>
File: 1421860780520.jpg (297KB, 1644x1638px) Image search: [Google]
1421860780520.jpg
297KB, 1644x1638px
>>3964016
Tell him his wife cheated on him.
Then tell him his team is inexperienced and he needs to do a valve and restart the whole development process because the product sucks.
After he realizes he has been cucked the other news won't seem as bad.
>>
>>3964016
top kek, what could anybody possibly do in 1 month to fix that mess?
>>
>>3964047
see >>3964043
>>
>>3964016
I tell him to remove the AI partners which he won't do because he's retarded.
>>
Considering I can travel back in time, I would timetravel back to '97 just before Romero decided to change to Quake 2 engine. I would convince him to finish his game on Quake 1 engine, show a finished copy of Half-Life as an example that it's perfectly fine. Then he wouldn't crash.
>>
>>3964068
but half-life used bits of quake 2 code and had a heavily modified engine along with the colored lightning that got romero to switch to quake 2
>>
>>3964072
There's nothing about Quake 2 in Half-Life. Quake engine was extensively modified to meet gameplay requirements, they were able to do this because one of the graphics programmers for Quake, Michael Abrash, got hired at Valve.
>>
>>3964097
There's also nothing absolutely clear about the use of Quake 2 engine.
>GameSpot: You originally licensed the classic Quake engine but preferred to roll your own features into Half-Life's engine rather than license Quake II. Why was that?
>Gabe Newell: Actually we have a licence to the Quake II engine. We have the source code to the original DOS Quake, Win Quake, GL Quake, Quake World, Quake II, and all of the various patches. We pick and choose from that source base depending on what we are trying to do. However, we've been implementing a lot of our own sub-systems (animation, AI, GL and software renderer), so about 75 per cent of the engine is our own code.
>>
>>3964097
>Jay Stelly adds, "We also took PAS from QW and/or Q2 and a couple of other minor routines I can remember (no more than 100-200 lines of code there). There was some feature overlap (as Ken mentions) like game code DLLs and colored lighting, but we developed our own solutions to those independent of Q2."
>So there it is. This should put some arguments to rest. Half-Life is based on Quake 1, although it has a very small amount of Quake 2 code. Yahn notes that "we did use some of the winsock functions from Q2, that's about it. Probably more than 50 lines, but nothing too interesting."
source is apparently PHL which is dead ;_;
https://wiki.sourceruns.org/wiki/GoldSrc
>>
>>3964104
also forgot to copy paste the most important part but you can read it off the site anyways
>>
>>3964016
Put a bunch of nudie pics of Killcreek at the end so at least some people will play through it.
>>
>>3964104
>PlanetHalfLife

Bruh...
>>
I'd tell him to cut that girl hair off
>>
>>3964117
>not asking for hair grooming tips
Baldlet detected.
>>
>>3964117
>girl hair off

How dare you insult his glorious mane, how DARE you Sir...
>>
>>3964126
>>3964120
>>3964117
>>3964112
>>3964106
>>3964104
>>3964102
Stop posting anytime
>>
>>3964019
>>3964037

As an honest-to-god Daikatana fan that replays it every year, these.

>>3964068

This is the legit best suggestion, but beyond the scope of the OP's question.
>>
>>3964112
I can't believe it's dead now. You take things for granted until they disappear.
>>
>>3964163
I'm calling my mother right now
>>
>>3964120
Having long metal hair is cool.... when you're 16.
>>
>>3964180
This. Look at Metal Jesus Rocks. He looks like my aunt.
Romero is borderline looking like some menopausic artsy chubby woman in her 50s.
>>
Some motherfucking philistines ITT goddamn
>>
File: rope-braid.jpg (85KB, 980x490px) Image search: [Google]
rope-braid.jpg
85KB, 980x490px
>>3964180
I have long hair and I'm 43. I wear it in a nice neat braid though.
>>
>>3964196
Let me guess you do IT for a living.
>>
File: Saurav landscape.jpg (983KB, 1000x1511px) Image search: [Google]
Saurav landscape.jpg
983KB, 1000x1511px
>>3964198
Nah, I'm on the other end of the weirdness spectrum. I just draw all day.
>>
File: kill76.jpg (91KB, 379x576px) Image search: [Google]
kill76.jpg
91KB, 379x576px
>>3964110
This!
>>
>>3964275
Fair enough.
>>
>>3964016
this would make for an awesome episode of quantum leap
>>
>>3964332

She looks completely plastic.

Why did John have such shit taste? Even Carmack chose better, and he's autism incarnate.
>>
>>3964608
carmack isn't autistic he just has those weird voice tics
he probably did some jiu jitsu on a chad trying to get in her pants and won her heart
>>
>>3964632

Carmack is absolutely autistic. The man disappeared for two weeks and was found holed up in some shitty motel in Florida where he'd just managed to rattle off an entire goddamned 3D rendering engine fueled solely by the power of Diet Coke and the Rain Man.

If that's not not on the spectrum I don't know what is.
>>
>>3964647
I don't care if he's on the spectrum. That man has done more for the industry and 3d engine development than anyone else.
>>
>>3964647
autism is a meaningless buzzword now
being smart and nerdy doesn't make you autistic
>>
>>3964662

Liking Diet Coke surely does.
No one who perceives the world in a neurotypical way could love that bug spray.
>>
>>3964659

Well....Yes and no. He was highly destructive to id, but his programming genius is surely unmatched. I feel he was a net positive, but not as much as people believe.
>>
>>3964687
>Well....Yes and no. He was highly destructive to id
But think about his contributions to the overall industry. Think about how every 3d engine before Quake was fucking janky. Think about all the idtech liscenced games. There would be no Unreal, which was the other side in the engine coin. Think about how Call of Duty wouldn't exist. The first person shooter genre would not be anything close to what it is today because of that man.
>>
>>3964687
yeah fuck off pretty much pioneering modern 3D engines and keeping his engines open for other people to use is more than just a net positive
even if you don't like the guy you're delusional if you think id's games after doom were bad
>>
>>3964703

ids games after Doom were bad. And when you drive off both of your cofounders with your bullshit, then yeah, that is a definite problem.
>>
>>3964712
>ids games after Doom were bad
ah so you're just another doombabby that has no idea what he's talking about
>>
>>3964701

That's why I say, net positive, but he definitely laid the foundations for ids' destruction. The pattern is clear: any time he was asked to give a little ground on his engine pursuits so that they could make an actual goddamn game with them, he found a way to get rid of people so he could get back to tapping on that keyboard.
>>
>>3964719

You're not even using that term correctly.
>>
>>3964712
>quake 1-3
>bad
I know you're baiting, but kill yourself anyways.
>>
>>3964735

Quake 2 was better, granted, but I was never fond of the first Quake at all. And wasn't Quake III straight-up multiplayer-only?

And I'm not gonna off myself just because some dick on the internet can't handle criticism of his glorious heroes he's never even met.
>>
>>3964743
Not him, but Quake 1 was just Doom in 3D, so not a bad game, per say, but it definitely wasn't great. Quake 2 was absolutely fantastic, and Quake 3 was pretty good as an arena shooter, but was definitely out-performed by Unreal Tournament.
Quake 4 is okay, but doesn't count as retro, and Quake Champions is a shitfest.
>>
>>3964784
>was definitely out-performed by Unreal Tournament
Is that why Q3A still has double the amount of players over UT99? Quake Live is the most popular arena FPS by a large margin and it's pretty much Quake 3 with better netcode.
>>
>>3964786
Although I do agree that UT99 sold more initially.
>>
>>3964786

Arena shooters are boring though. :/
>>
>>3964804
only if you're bad
they get progressively more fun the more you play them and if you're a quake 2 fag you're in luck because it had some fantastic multiplayer modes
>>
>>3964806

No, playing against other people does not interest me. I go to videogames to get away from people.
>>
It now uses Unreal engine
>>
Skip the early levels and start the game in the prison.
>>
>>3964687
>He was highly destructive to id
how?
>>
>>3964813
>>
>>3964016
If i did fix it for him does that mean that he is now my bitch?
>>
>>3966006
op said one thing about daikatana, not the whole thing. there's like million thing that went wrong
>>
>>3965990

This is an example of why videogames are better than people.

>>3965913

Take a look at the behavior pattern for yourself.

A. Tom Hall.

Left because no one wanted to make anything but Wolfenstein3D- Demon Edition.

B. John Romero.

Left because no one cared about anything but how many polygons Carmack could stuff at once.

C. Sandy Petersen.

Left because he felt four fucking shotguns n' spacemarines games were too damn much.

D. etc. etc. etc.

Every one of them leaves due to Carmack's obsessive 3D graphics bullshit.
>>
>>3964687
>He was highly destructive to id
mmm
Romero was worse, and I don't say it out of hate, I love both Johns for what they are, but Carmack at least worked like a madman whereas Romero just fucked off being a promoter and a posterboy after they got to the golden age with Doom II, the ones who actually got shit done where the two Carmacks and the various people like McGee, Romero admittedly lost his mojo once fame got the best of him, which is ironic since before id was a even a thing he was a better programmer than Carmack.

Yeah, Carmack has insane working ethics that aren't meant for human beings and he's far off in his own world of numbers, but he works, maybe he works too much for his own good, in more senses than one, Romero could never get back in shape after his golden days at id and slowly faded into irrelevance while Carmack kept on building on id and his own fame and achieving incredible stuff.
That said, I'd rather work with Romero than Carmack any day.
>>
>>3964050
This is the correct answer.
>>
>>3964016
I remove AI companions, making the game much more playable.
>>
>>3966372
N64 already did that.
>>
Id make the game about sucking it down. It's a FPS, but you don't shoot. You press a button to make them your bitch.

All with blocky models.
>>
>>3966025
John Romero "left" because he apparently had a terrible work ethic and was more interested in partying and playing deathmatch than working. It's why Doom 2 and Quake barely have any of his levels. You pulled all of these explanations out of your ass and are a generally retarded person. it's interesting that there are still Romero fanboys when he hasn't been in anything noteworthy in 20 years and every project since was shit
>>
>>3966447
In Quake, Romero contributed slightly more maps than McGee and only slightly less than Willits. All but one map (the secret level) from the second episode was his. He owned that episode more than he owned episode 1 in Doom.
>>
>>3966447
This.
He just went total party boy after the fame and the money went to his head.
Now the only thing he is remembered for is that shitty advertisement and the blunder of the century it was advertising for.
He went down in flames and will be continued to be remembered as such.
He is on the same level as Peter Molenux for fuck sake.
>>
>>3966524
He made a couple levels in Doom and now everyone pretends he's still got it.
>>
>>3964068
I was just going to suggest something like this. If we're abusing time magic already, might as well be the most altruistic we can be.
>>
>>3964016
I wait until the absolute last possible minute to do so, then add a few lines of code to specifically make it crash on startup. It's pretty much just for my sick amusement.
>>
>>3964016
>>He asks you to change something about Daikatana 1 month before it goes gold
just one month? Romero's mistake was to change engines drastically prolonging dev time. had he not taken so long he would not have become a joke
>>
>>3964016
>What do you fix?

I convince him to bolt in a portal system and make puzzle-solving the focus of the game, and stay on to support this effort. There, now it's Narbacular Drop (with some combat on the side). Upon release, it's recognized as a major oddity and it disappoints some people wanting another great FPS, but these people still at least have some respect for it. It ends up a cult classic rather than a career-destroying boat anchor.
>>
>>3966524
>>3966529
I went to his facebook page a year or two ago and it was kinda sad. Everyone was just making idclip jokes and he had links to 24h ebay auctions for some of his stuff.
>>
>>3967246

Another option would have been to replace it with Minecraft, but that would probably take more than a month, whereas a very clever programmer could conceivably turn almost any old FPS into a decent Portal clone, albeit with probably far inferior writing and level design, simply by hacking in just that one additional feature, the portal system.

The rationale here is that bringing a clever new game design into the past would excite people enough to make up for lots of other sorts of crappiness, and would be cheap to carry there and implement, since it's just a design idea and not say a piece of hardware or a large amount of "content".

There are probably a number of ideas that could reasonably be considered here: the Katamari rolling-things-up mechanic, the entire concept of the MOBA genre, the basic design of Five Nights at Freddy's... anything that has shown (in our past and Ion Storm's future) the ability to explode hugely in popularity, while still being technologically simple enough that it could maybe have been implemented pretty quickly and effectively in the time of Quake II. If you can blow people away with some disruptive new idea like that, then they won't be so bothered over losing Yet Another FPS, and they won't mind so much that polish is generally lacking. People are very forgiving when they're in the process of being blown away.

But obviously Portal/Narbacular Drop fits with what John already had much better than my other examples do.
>>
>>3964016

1 month before Romero probably was banging some bitch in his penthouse drunk as fuck. Romero apologists are the worst. The game sucked because he was an idiot.
>>
Another idea: I convince him that he's in the process of failing terribly and that he can save himself by going meta: that is, by turning the game into something like a commentary on itself. We spend the month embedding into the game a nice little commentary system whereby John and the other people behind the game can explain, with the impressive honesty that I would have to convince them to muster, what they were intending for each piece of the game and how and why they failed (or succeeded, in some cases). The commentary system can be turned off, but the means of doing so isn't pushed at the player, and it is turned on by default. So the release becomes a ballsy public apology that aspires to also help form some kind of artsy new subgenre of games: the self-postmortem documentary game.

Alternatively: Instead of commentary, honest explanation, and apology, we put in MST3K-style mockery and turn the game into a huge, bizarre joke on itself. This could also work very well, given sufficiently strong writing.
>>
Another idea: We release the game normally and John publicly apologizes (outside the game) and vows to make amends. Stevie Case then spends the next several years touring the world and having sex one time with every single person who purchased the game prior to the airing of the apology.

A weakness in this plan is that it's not entirely clear why Stevie would agree to do this, but this difficulty could probably be surmounted.
>>
Add 5th episode
>>
>>3964068
>Daikatana releases in early '99 and is actually decent
bravo
>>
>>3964275
Then draw us a picture of Carmack choking Romero a la Jace Hall in >>3964632 please.
>>
File: 1432950073804.jpg (29KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1432950073804.jpg
29KB, 480x360px
>>3966031
>Doom II
>Golden age
You are right about most things, but Romero licensed out id's engine to other companies and approved things like merchandising and expansion packs, when Carmack wanted to only focus on releasing new games on entirely new engines. In some video interview with him, talking about Quake 1, Romero said near the end of his tenure at id he pushed for doing new games on Carmack's current engines while Carmack prepared the new engine, but Carmack wouldn't have it.
>>
>>3967265
now it's just complaining about drumpf
>>
>>3966524
>>3966475

You both seem personally offended someone views your hero (who you've never even met and never will, let's remember) in a less than flattering light.
>>
>>3967742
You seem to be projecting your personal butthurt onto others.
>>
>>3964024
stop posting my dad pls
>>
>>3964016
>What do you fix?
I fix him with a bullet
>>
>>3964037
>biggest issue with Daikatana was the ai
yeah...the...AI..............no
>>
>>3964275
Nice
>>
>>3964016

focus extensively on MP, shift advertising to reflect that

SP is unsalvageable, this is the only chance - Q3 doesn't exist yet
>>
>>3966025

Romero and Hall were fired, Anon.
>>
>>3968903
it would still have to compete with quake 2 MP, tribes, and various other games i can't remember off the top of my head
>>
>>3968951
not being as good as another game is still better than being a shitty game
>>
Add a device that turns players into female dogs
>>
>>3968951
It might, but dedicated design towards multiplayer means you are no longer "crippled" by how the singleplayers weapon balance tiers.
>>
>>3968956
fair enough the romero name would probably be enough to carry it for a while
>>
>implying john would care enough to ask someone to fix it
>implying he wasnt too busy partying away ion storms money to notice it was a piece of shit
>>
File: romance on a grapefruit moon_s.jpg (806KB, 1000x786px) Image search: [Google]
romance on a grapefruit moon_s.jpg
806KB, 1000x786px
>>3967470
I'd rather not, but here's a painting of some fruit flies mating as consolation. :)
Thread posts: 102
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.