[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /vr/, I have a bit of an odd one for you. For reasons I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

Hey /vr/, I have a bit of an odd one for you.

For reasons I can't describe, I just woke up today with a strong urge to play some live action Japanese FMV games. I don't know much Japanese. And I didn't even realize they existed until I googled on this whim. However, I came up pretty short. I found a VN with some live action cutscenes and amazing music (Another Mind):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVtM33gUKD0

And another one, which seems to be a proper live action FMV action game, complete with awful CGI and a ridiculous story, called ALIVE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia5GlOzOaV0

So my question is, what live action Japanese FMV games are out there? Are there any that someone who understands only basic japanese can play? And are any on Japanese PSN? It would be even cooler if I could play it on my vita.
>>
That ALIVE game is so cool I watched almost all of it on YouTube last year, really long but made me wish for eng subs. Dont even need gameplay, it fits right in with those sci fi action b-movies you'd find at Blockbuster.
>>
>>3963149
If it's possible to rip the video files and edit them back in with subtitles, I would love to help with a fan translation effort.

Because who else would translate a PS1 live action FMV game?
>>
I tried looking up 実写げー, but I'm not sure it's the right term. What else could these be called?
>>
>>3963162
I'm downloading the first disc to see if jPSXdec can do it easily. I'm curious too.
>>
Found this, and the play is pretty hilarious. Only a very small portion of it is actually live action though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-uoG-3cNII
>>
File: Clipboard01.png (271KB, 909x965px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.png
271KB, 909x965px
Looks like they're all accounted for here
>>
>>3963178
No shit? I found tools to convert STR to AVI and back pretty quickly on ROMHacking.net, too.

So, it would really be just like a fansub if that's correct. For the movie scenes, at least. Now that I think about it, there's all that text in the PDA screens, too. I've done some ROMhacking before, but not with PS1 games.

But this could turn out to be an actual project. That's not what I expected this thread to turn into.
>>
>>3963185
To me it looks like PDA screens might be all TIM files, texture with text and images embedded on them but jPSXdec can't find them, which can only mean they're compressed. It's probably this, but I'm no hacker.

But you know, if it's to make a fansub one could still emulate it without using any weird plugins or settings, just go for accuracy and take screenshots. I've been doing a shitload of transcribing for my own PS1 project, so it looks doable, if time-consuming.
>>
>>3963202
That would suck if it were the case, but because the PDA screens do have images and some word-art type nonsense, I suppose that means there has to be textures with at least the images on it around somewhere.

The font on the PDA seems to be the same during infodumps as it is on the save menu screen, though, so who knows, maybe at least a portion of it is text. One nice thing is that during the hacking sections, you can see both japanese and english pop on the screen, so if the text isn't compressed as well, maybe it would be easiest to try and find some of the english text in the game and work from there.
>>
File: PSOGL2_001.png (205KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
PSOGL2_001.png
205KB, 640x480px
>>3963208
I can't remember the hacking parts but English is always a plus as long as it's comprehensible.

I took an in-game screenshot to see how the text looks in-game and I can already see some pretty problematic kanji. I don't know if it's real-time or if it's from a TIM, but it's really pixelated, worse than I'm accustomed to. I'd be able to catch some but not all of them.
>>
>>3963170
Fan translations of rare Japanese vidya curios are always appreciated, anon.
>>
>>3963345
I feel the same way too but I don't know if I can help this one off the ground. This is as far as I got with the text from the image I posted.

ブロフィール
カワダ・アツコ

E地区孤児院出?

The Hiragana and Katakana are easy but the way they display the text makes it incredibly hard to decipher some of them. And here I thought I had it bad with my project...
>>
ブロフィール
カワダ・アツコ

E地区孤児院出身
父母不明
E地区陸上選手権五種目において優勝
現実、E地区POLICE CENTERにおいて、研修期間中

Profile:
Atsuko Kawada

Origin: E-District Orphanage
Parents: Unknown
Champion of five different tournaments
Currently in training at the E-District Police Center

It's really a pain in the ass. Old school japanese games feel so impenetrable because of how hard it is to read them sometimes
>>
I'm actually kind of curious about doing this now. I have tomorrow off, so if I can find the time, I'll try and get one of the videos reinserted with English subtitles.

I think I'll work on tackling any of the text after that. If they're indeed compressed, I think I would need help with the PDA stuff, though.

>still no mention of any other japanese FMV games

>>3963381
I know how you feel. Princess Crown's font is so cramped that as a non-native speaker it was a huge pain to read.
>>
>>3963178
>>3963185
So what, just hard-subbing would work? That'd be awesome.
>>
>>3964091
It sounds like it. It seems almost like a shame to not translate it now.
>>
>>3963235
>>3963359
>>3963381
Isn't "POLICE CENTER" written using some kind of DTE? The 'E' are not the same width as the one for "E地区".

Was interested in hacking some PSX games lately to start, I'll look at this project closely :)
>>
>>3964528
What's a DTE?
>>
>>3965790
DTE is Dual-Tile-Encoding.

It's a way of squeezing two commonly used characters (though you can do it with full words) in the space of a single one.

For example, taking the input string "the fast and the furious in theaters" without uppercases. 36 characters!

We can make a DTE saying that "the" is now represented by another character (let's say "X", just fo fun).
=> "X fast and X furious in Xaters", 30 characters.

Wanna go a bit further? Let's say that " f" (space-f) is in the DTE too since it gets repeated!
=> "XYast and XYurious in Xaters", 28 characters.

More documentation: http://archive.rpgclassics.com/subsites/twit/docs/dte_document.txt
>>
>>3966408
That's pretty fascinating. Thanks for the explanation.

Does save state hacking work on PS1 as it would on NES/etc? If so, that would make this a lot easier,.
>>
non-OP bampu
>>
>>3963359
>incredibly hard to decipher some of them
Nah. I'm not native, hardly even fluent, and I can read all that just fine.
>>
There's a game called Athena: Awakening from the Ordinary Life.
Yeah, the Athena from King of Fighters.
>>
>>3966607
It should work the same since most save states are just "dump the whole ram and state in memory then load it back in". Depends on the emulator.

You can also try the integrated debuggers, here is a good article: http://gamehacking.org/library/218

Also, use psxjin: https://github.com/piorrro33/psxjin
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.