[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some of your favorite retro first person dungeon crawlers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

File: thelegacy-3.jpg (64KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
thelegacy-3.jpg
64KB, 720x480px
What are some of your favorite retro first person dungeon crawlers? Turn-based, real time, grid-based, free movement, doesn't matter, just post 'em.

A personal favorite of mine is The Legacy: Realm of Terror. It's a horror themed dungeon crawler that manages to have a genuinely unsettling atmosphere and some good puzzles. Despite being marketed as a game based on Edgar Allan Poe's works, it's definitely got way more influence from Lovecraft, and I think it captures the tone of his works really well, a lot better in fact than many games based directly upon his fiction.
>>
>>3962859
I.M. Meen
>>
Might and Magic 6
>>
File: dagger82.png (70KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
dagger82.png
70KB, 640x400px
TES Daggerfall.
>>
Captive on the ST.
>>
File: EoB2.jpg (108KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
EoB2.jpg
108KB, 640x400px
Its always been Eye of the Beholder trilogy. Decades since I first played it, but I still know every map of every dungeon like the back of my hand.
>>
>>3962859

The Legacy sounds awesome. how hard would it be to get that sucker playing on a modern-ish laptop? is that a DosBox kind of thing or is there an updated version on Steam or something?

shit, MicroProse... they made the original X-Com, right? fuck yes.
>>
>>3963448
<HELP HIM>
>>
>>3963892
It should play fine on DosBox. There's no service where you can buy it legally these days.
>>
File: eob2-silver4-18.png (31KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
eob2-silver4-18.png
31KB, 640x480px
>>3963898
>Helping Lawful Evil maneaters
>>
>>3964014
<HELP HIM>
>>
>>3964014
He ends up fucking you up, doesn't he?
>>
>>3964014

what's the worst that could happen?

>>3964001

thanks for the info!
>>
File: thief.png (6KB, 719x650px) Image search: [Google]
thief.png
6KB, 719x650px
>*teleports behind you*
>>
Dark Heart of Uukrul.

It's like Gold Box with better puzzles and combat.
>>
Stonekeep is an amazing game. Rich story, great voice acting. Lots of Easter eggs. Combat is lacking a bit, magic is fun though. Lots to explore.
>>
>>3965756
That sounds pretty cool.
>>
File: smt1&2.jpg (503KB, 1280x1162px) Image search: [Google]
smt1&2.jpg
503KB, 1280x1162px
Out of all the games I've ever played I think SMT1 captures "Apocalypse" best. It's the limitations of the console, largely in part to, that gives it a distinct atmosphere.

SMT2 is great too. It probably has the most interesting setting in a video game. It's longer and has a bigger focus on mythology and religion.
>>
>>3962859
What would be a good retro first person dungeon crawler for a someone new to the them? I'm 28 but was an RTS addict growing up so I never played any.
>>
>>3967978
The Might and Magics are a great entry point
>>
>>3967978

Real Time:
Eye of the Beholder
Dungeon Master

Turn Based:
Might & Magic starting around 4 or 5
Dark Heart of Uukrul

Also not /vr/ but the Grimrock games are fantastic. I can't think of a better introduction to the genre.
>>
>>3962859
Elvira 2, so fucking comfy

And the Ishtar trilogy
>>
File: The_Quest.jpg (194KB, 800x584px) Image search: [Google]
The_Quest.jpg
194KB, 800x584px
>>3962859
Redshift's 'The Quest'. The HD version is uglier but the original is packaged with the PC release; the latter is pic related and the version you'll want to play. You can find both on the ios Appstore too.
>>
>>3970685
Isn't that the old pocketPC version? The modern version's graphics kind of don't really fit.
>>
Legacy of the Ancients and Legend of Blacksilver were both pretty good on the C64.
>>
>>3963448
seems a good use of brain space, what use full stuff did you push out no remember that
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.